Sign in to follow this  
preacherlr

The Ability to IV yourself

After having played a little bit on the 0.63 offline branch, I picked up a blood draw hit, which gave me the option to draw from myself, I thought it a little odd but I did.
Then I had the thought to try saline, which I was able to administer to myself.. In about 7 seconds..

Seems a little silly to me that you're able to. I mean I understand realistically you can, and people do. But from a game play point it's going to turn into pubg imo, Get hit, bandage, blood bag yourself, keep fighting rinse repeat.

To me it always made sense having to have someone else do it, or at least it justified the speed at which it was done, But being able to do it yourself in the same amount of time doesn't make sense to me.

I understand that a bloogbag or saline doesn't fully " heal " you, however it will bring you in much better standing than you were. Especially if you're bleeding out and run out of bandages, you could indefinitely keep yourself going off saline/blood bags.

Thoughts?

• Beans 1

Agreed.

It was the same in the mod to some extent—if no bloodbag, hide behind object and eat the cooked steaks in your backpack.

I'm okay with speeding up the healing process, but I don't think people should be healing mid-firefight. So if you do it yourself, you should be vulnerable for quite a good while. And maybe there should be a real decent cooldown before you get any health back, too.

• Thanks 1

I'm conflicted. I've always wanted to be able to use bloodbags and saline on myself because I lone wolf it a lot, but I understand your concern that it might hurt the integrity of the game. 7 seconds does seem brief for self administered saline. I could stand to see the duration increased to as much as 30 seconds. I don't like holding the mouse button for long periods of time though. I hope they would make it so you only have to press once to initiate actions when they are long. I do like that we have to hold the button now in general. It makes it feel like you are actually doing what your character is, but it gets tiresome sometimes. 

Edited by Solopopo

1 hour ago, preacherlr said:

Thoughts?

Solo it should have a animaition, one arm up holding the bloodbag. It should take a longer. Maybe annoying long.

In a hospital you should do it faster, near a Saline Stand (IV pole).

When you have a player-base with a Saline Stand (IV pole), it should be as fast as in a hospital.

Two players should do it as fast as in a hospital.

Edited by ImageCtrl
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, ImageCtrl said:

Solo it should have a animaition, one arm up holding the bloodbag. It should take a longer. Maybe annoying long.

In a hospital you should do it faster, near a Saline Stand (IV pole).

When you have a player-base with a Saline Stand (IV pole), it should be as fast as in a hospital.

Two players should do it as fast as in a hospital.

Makes a lot of sense, I'd be happy with something like this.
As Gews points out you shouldn't really be able to heal yourself mid firefight - at least not with saline/blood bags

Self IV'ing aside, Healing seems to be pretty quick all together now. Went from pretty well dead to running like normal with full colour in about 15-20 minutes.. This probably would have been cut down to about 5 minutes if I'd saline'd myself.

6 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Agreed.

It was the same in the mod to some extent—if no bloodbag, hide behind object and eat the cooked steaks in your backpack.

I'm okay with speeding up the healing process, but I don't think people should be healing mid-firefight. So if you do it yourself, you should be vulnerable for quite a good while. And maybe there should be a real decent cooldown before you get any health back, too.

I think the suggestion of 30 seconds to self-administer a saline sounds great; cut it to ten for giving saline to another; and double those values if it's a blood bag.

Saline and blood don't regen health, but rather blood value needed to regen health.  I'm not sure how it works now, but waiting for health to regen until shock value was somewhere arbitrarily balanced close to zero makes sense; that way, hunkering down and giving oneself saline would only solve half the problem.  Player would still need to shoot an epi-pen, and they could add cooldowns on each to prevent spamming self-healing tactics over maybe a half-hours time.

The idea of giving saline or blood itself makes sense. But on the other hand, it was much better if you needed someone else to help you with infusions. You alone, are much more careful when you know that you can never use the Salinebag alone.

The solution here would really be best as time and effect as difference. If a friend helps you with the infusion, then it should run in a comfortable time and the content should be 100% to your benefit. If you do it yourself or have to do it, it should take a long time (30 -... sec.) And the content only works to 50%. So you will be able to do it, but never in the battle when you have time pressure.

(It could also be that you start the action at the self-saline / selfblood, and you can not break it until it's over, so you have to do it in a really safe place.)

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

I think the suggestion of 30 seconds to self-administer a saline sounds great; cut it to ten for giving saline to another; and double those values if it's a blood bag.

Saline and blood don't regen health, but rather blood value needed to regen health.  I'm not sure how it works now, but waiting for health to regen until shock value was somewhere arbitrarily balanced close to zero makes sense; that way, hunkering down and giving oneself saline would only solve half the problem.  Player would still need to shoot an epi-pen, and they could add cooldowns on each to prevent spamming self-healing tactics over maybe a half-hours time.

Seems now you have 100 health, limping start below 75 and progressivly gets worse, until 0 in which case you are dead.
You have 5000 blood, greyscale sets in at 4500, gets worse until 0 at which case you are dead.

A zombie hit does exactly 10 health per hit, and you'll die on the 10th consecutive hit.
You gain about 0.4 health back every 3 seconds, meaning from 1 to 100 health would take about 12 and a half minutes.
A zombie hit does exactly 100 blood per hit.
You seem to gain 3 blood back every 3 seconds ( 1bp/s ) with saline adding an additional 5 extra blood per 3 seconds, totaling it out to 8 per 3 seconds.
Th above test was performed at fully energized and hydrated.

At white food and yellow drink ( Spawn state )
The health regen seems to be the same.
however the blood regen is halved at 1.5 per 3 seconds.

I left blood bags separate because they have a strange way of presenting themselves.
To draw one costs exactly 500 blood, which using it returns exactly 500 blood.
but you get a debuff next to the health symbol, which looks like a picture of a pill, you also start to lose 2 blood per second, or 6 per 3 seconds ( I'm using 3 seconds because the game seems to tick every 3 seconds for you health state )
I tried taking tetracycline to counter act this but it had no effect, it seems to last 2 minutes and 10 seconds and then vanish.

seems you lose about 258 blood over the time span
Taking a saline at the same time seems to negate it, and if you're healthy enough to regen you'll come out with more blood then you started with

( Will continue to edit this post as I get more info - all test's i'm trying are in that community build thing with the debug monitor so they may not be relevant )

Edited by preacherlr
Science

Yes definitely I hope dev. read this, because it`s hard to find each other sometimes if u play with a friend or start far away from each other, and it helps when u solo to use salin on yourself. If you ask an unknown person he more likely to shoot you and take your loot in this game if you have end game gear. It`s sometimes hard to trust other unknown players after 5-6 years  of dayz experience since 2012 and Arma II mod.

I think this is a great option because it changes the survival aspect on a greater scale. Now I don't know if any of you had cholera in-game and actually tried to survive it, but let me tell you, it is a bitch. Low or medium cholera is survivable although with medium you need to be healthy and prepared to fight it. But the high gradation of cholera can't/couldn't be survived on your own. You needed to rely on someone giving you saline or blood bags because otherwise you would die of blood loss, despite the natural blood regeneration. Now it would be possible with the help of this option.

I do think it should be changed however. I'm not a medical expert or doctor but I read that getting too much of the saline causes problems with the blood pressure and your kidneys. A solution would be to combine it with a rope and strap it to your arm. Another great way to see if a player is/has been injured or not and it should gradually improve your blood situation. Crafting and applying it still should take some time though. Blood bags should be even longer but I'm not sure if there are any consequences of getting a lot of blood in a short amount of time. So if the combining it with a rope applies here, I have no idea.

But overall, I think this is a great feature. It's funny because I was thinking about it this morning, if they would implement this. Seems they already did. :)

12 hours ago, IMT said:

I think this is a great option because it changes the survival aspect on a greater scale. Now I don't know if any of you had cholera in-game and actually tried to survive it, but let me tell you, it is a bitch. Low or medium cholera is survivable although with medium you need to be healthy and prepared to fight it. But the high gradation of cholera can't/couldn't be survived on your own. You needed to rely on someone giving you saline or blood bags because otherwise you would die of blood loss, despite the natural blood regeneration. Now it would be possible with the help of this option.

I do think it should be changed however. I'm not a medical expert or doctor but I read that getting too much of the saline causes problems with the blood pressure and your kidneys. A solution would be to combine it with a rope and strap it to your arm. Another great way to see if a player is/has been injured or not and it should gradually improve your blood situation. Crafting and applying it still should take some time though. Blood bags should be even longer but I'm not sure if there are any consequences of getting a lot of blood in a short amount of time. So if the combining it with a rope applies here, I have no idea.

But overall, I think this is a great feature. It's funny because I was thinking about it this morning, if they would implement this. Seems they already did. :)

It seems like a pretty cool thing to add, being able to administer saline or blood bags to oneself.  As I read your duct tape idea, a couple ideas came to mind, one of them quite silly. I realized that armbands would be an easy way to implement this, perhaps adding duct tape afterwards to prevent it from falling out if you have to sprint with it a bit.
Balancing this self-administered IV mechanic could add all sorts of fun things; like the adrenaline from having been shot recently, or another bullet whizzing by, would unsteady your hands.  If you bandage up and pop an epi-pen to buy yourself some buffer shock damage in case you get hit again, there would be a 1 minute cooldown in which trying to administer the IV kit would fail because your hands are unsteady.  In this way, it would further reinforce another player needing to administer the IV, given that they have not just been shot at and now have unsteady hands too.

Okay, now for the silly idea for how to improvise a mobile IV stand for the injured survivor on the go.  Combine Saline Bag IV with cowboy hat, Use Saline Bag IV, put on cowboy hat.  And with that, I think I just won the internet for today.

Just for good measure, I decided to finally take my most rudimentary first steps of using GIMP to make you this wonderful abomination:

NQCUeJc.png

Edited by emuthreat
double spoiler
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

It seems like a pretty cool thing to add, being able to administer saline or blood bags to oneself.  As I read your duct tape idea, a couple ideas came to mind, one of them quite silly. I realized that armbands would be an easy way to implement this, perhaps adding duct tape afterwards to prevent it from falling out if you have to sprint with it a bit.
Balancing this self-administered IV mechanic could add all sorts of fun things; like the adrenaline from having been shot recently, or another bullet whizzing by, would unsteady your hands.  If you bandage up and pop an epi-pen to buy yourself some buffer shock damage in case you get hit again, there would be a 1 minute cooldown in which trying to administer the IV kit would fail because your hands are unsteady.  In this way, it would further reinforce another player needing to administer the IV, given that they have not just been shot at and now have unsteady hands too.

Okay, now for the silly idea for how to improvise a mobile IV stand for the injured survivor on the go.  Combine Saline Bag IV with cowboy hat, Use Saline Bag IV, put on cowboy hat.  And with that, I think I just won the internet for today.

Just for good measure, I decided to finally take my most rudimentary first steps of using GIMP to make you this wonderful abomination:

Reveal hidden contents

NQCUeJc.png

Reveal hidden contents

Hahaha nice one. And watch out because if you reuse the saline the helmet might say "First aids". This opens up a lot of options. How about a IV pole mounted to a bicycle.