Sign in to follow this  
Raptor97

Melee System needs balance/tweaking

I know its just a stress test and there will be more tweaking and balancing, but no harm pointing out this small but huge problem in the new melee system.

The punches are sometimes not balanced (axe vs fist for example) and the range is also too far. 

As you can see, this content creator kills to people, one having an axe.
Again thx for all your hard work devs, its just the small things I wanna mention here :) 

Keep up the great work <3, cheers.

Raptor.

• Beans 1

I was also able to beat up people very nicely, partly because of the huge punches, and also, I think, because the controls really aren't obvious and therefore many people don't even know how to block.

5 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

I was also able to beat up people very nicely, partly because of the huge punches, and also, I think, because the controls really aren't obvious and therefore many people don't even know how to block.

Yes but in this video he got hit by many axe hits, he should never been able to survive this encounter lol.

That's a great piece by M1NDR. He's clearly better and got three nice kills.

You'll notice the fresh spawn didn't block or dodge ever.  Only when he returned did he ever use a stunning attack.  M1NDR blocked well and pooled his stamina properly to stun and then took advantage of that.

Melee needs the old hit sounds back. Listen to this, so satisfying when the axe hits the flesh.

1 hour ago, Parazight said:

That's a great piece by M1NDR. He's clearly better and got three nice kills.

You'll notice the fresh spawn didn't block or dodge ever.  Only when he returned did he ever use a stunning attack.  M1NDR blocked well and pooled his stamina properly to stun and then took advantage of that.

Yes but again, I'm talking about the guy with the axe, this is my only concern in this topic, and of course the distance of melee punches.

But M1nder should never survive this, he punched the guy with the axe and the axe guy did hit him without blocking, so thats no where near the balance we all want.

Edited by Raptor97

Yea. I agree.  But like you said, it's the stress test and nothing's balanced.

• Like 1

Lol he took like million hits as well with fists as with axe, and just survived. I get few sombie hits and I am out :D

I like the melee combat, but it has its problems for sure. I may just be bad, but at the moment I feel that some of the combat features don't function properly. I haven't managed to get much legitimate use out of the dodge or the block, unless I'm fighting zombies. The block causes invisibility against them. 

My biggest complaint with the melee combat system is that for all the features they have added to it, the simple light punch combos to the face are more effective than anything else, which is the same thing we have already been doing in alpha for years. I dropped person after person by just walking right up and aiming for the face with light hits. I see a lot of people doing the charge attack, but even a connected charge attack leaves you open to retaliation. Despite the quirks, I still think it's fun. I have managed to make use of the heavy attacks, even if they do get me punished more often than not. 

Edited by Solopopo

Just another horrible example, I never knew that this is so much unbalanced... That makes me actually sad, comon devs you can balance this better we all believe it :)

At 3:55...

Cheers, Raptor.

If anything i hope they get rid of the command move when you swing your tool or fist. I don't know why they wouldn't give us complete freedom of movement with this but i hope they atleast try it and let us test how it feels. Also bring back collision and hit reaction too pls xd

Heh, complete freedom of movement is what leads to people zig-zagging so fast in a fight that you can't shoot them. Being forced to commit to your manoeuvres is much, much closer in realism to an actual fight than being able to back out at the last second when you realize you made a mistake.

34 minutes ago, Raptor97 said:

Just another horrible example, I never knew that this is so much unbalanced... That makes me actually sad, comon devs you can balance this better we all believe it :)

Don't consider anything balanced at this point tbh.
Not enough systems in really.

As for blocking an axe with arm, give it one block, then break both of them, making you unable to lift them again until healed :)
Should teach those pesky blockers a lesson :D

1 hour ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Heh, complete freedom of movement is what leads to people zig-zagging so fast in a fight that you can't shoot them. Being forced to commit to your manoeuvres is much, much closer in realism to an actual fight than being able to back out at the last second when you realize you made a mistake.

Well then just slow the character down and give them a bit of uncontrollable momentum for heavy attacks but still leave controls unlocked? Im just spurting out ideas because atm its just not good. It serves its purpose but it just doesnt feel great at all!

New always feels "different". If it suits your taste, then it's good. if you have difficulty with it, then you feel it as negative. I know that as a left-hander.

Ya fists have always been too op compared to most weapons . That’s something dayz devs (sorry , pistol Pete) should really look into making work right . 

I don’t want to see 10 million Bruce lee survivors kicking ass in this game , leave that to unique survivors that can maybe specialize in more fighting techniques , speed , and combos via soft skills .

10 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

New always feels "different". If it suits your taste, then it's good. if you have difficulty with it, then you feel it as negative. I know that as a left-hander.

Melee isnt difficult. It just feels weak. Remember old dayz where the melee was actually left handed? It was crap but it felt really powerful with its fast attacks, hit reaction and collision. Not to mention you can actually aim for the head. You cant even in this one which is like taking a step backwards.