Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

Start Walking

Some people on these forums have expressed that they think both the food and stamina systems in .63 are too punishing at the moment. I could not agree less with this. From the beginning, DayZ has always been a survival game. It was always meant to be hard to survive, which I think some of you have forgotten, with the prevalence of infinite apples spoiling you. Survival is a part of the game again. It was always supposed to be part of the game. If you are never burdened by your thirst or your hunger, there is no point. If you don't need to plan out what supplies to bring on a long journey, there is no point. If nothing bad ever happens to you for failing to manage your character's status, there is no point.

Sprinting rapidly reduces thirst and food now. It is not something you can always afford to do anymore, and this makes sense. It is not realistic to sprint at your maximum capacity all the time. No one travels long distances like that. We need to get accustomed to walking. I made it all the way to the airfield on a single can of beans because I wasn't sprinting. Managing your character's health is essential, and beating the crap out of him/her all the time will put you in an early grave. This is exactly the way it should be in my opinion.

Some of you may think that journeys are painfully long without sprinting. This was not my experience. It was actually fun. The world is vibrant now. The ambient noise and weather changes are fantastic. The day night cycle also transitions faster. There is much more to look out for on the trip. Obviously you need to manage your status as well, which is a distraction from the duration of journeys too. Things actually happen now on your way to get where you are going. The world isn't static, and neither is your character. I'm content if I'm healthy no matter what I'm doing.

edit: I am referring to basic movement with the w key, not walking by holding w and control.

Edited by Solopopo
  • Beans 13

PVE isn't hard at all.  It's just that there's exactly zero modes of transportation other than your feet.

• Like 3

I think it depends on how you define hard. It is possible to find yourself in a position you can't survive because you don't have the necessary supplies, but if you know to gear up , I suppose it becomes easy. It became a little difficult for me to survive for long periods of time stalking around NE airfield. I kept having to press into the military bases to search for food and water, and one time I had to outright leave. But in general I guess it's not hard for a player who makes good decisions.

Yes, that is a very good point. There are more modes of transportation on the way, and we are meant to appreciate having them.

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

The way I see it, people need to adapt themselves to this "new game" called DayZ 2.0 by the devs. And I agree with you, the game is now, what it should be, punishing and harsh, a real survival experience. I was really immersed when I played last stress test, and enjoyed the rainy mood that were present on the many servers, it was an awesome experience. 

What scares me tho, is the lack of attitude from the player base, to actually take this adventure and face the game's challenges.

I played for about 5~6 hours, did a counter-clock run through the map. And up north/west, I didn't saw a single soul. Everybody was running up and down the coast and repeatedly dying like mindless robots...

This was and still as of now, a shock for me since it is not so hard to get the grip on things, or ask questions to other players in order to survive better.

Edited by Pliskin Scout
typos
  • Beans 5

I am also disheartened by this @Pliskin Scout. I am worried that some of the truly great things they have accomplished are going unnoticed/unappreciated.

I encountered people at NE airfield. I think anyone who survived long enough to go north was there. I was hearing a decent amount of shots around and ultimately wound up getting gunned down after lighting a flare on top of the radio tower for fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solopopo said:

No one travels long distances like that. We need to get accustomed to walking. I made it all the way to the airfield on a single can of beans because I wasn't running.

If I spawn on the east coast it's going to take 1 hour, 22 minutes to walk to NWAF, as the crow flies. And that's assuming flat ground and no obstructions, which isn't the case. If I jogged the whole way, only 30 minutes. I'd rather the latter.

Edited by -Gews-

44 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

If I spawn on the east coast it's going to take 1 hour, 22 minutes to walk to NWAF, as the crow flies. And that's assuming flat ground and no obstructions, which isn't the case. If I jogged the whole way, only 30 minutes. I'd rather the latter.

Jogging is what I'm referring to, lol. I think that's clear if you read the original post.

Edited by Solopopo

29 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

Jogging is what I'm referring to, lol. I think that's clear if you read the original post.

I've seen some people claim they often walk everywhere in DayZ. You never know!

1 minute ago, -Gews- said:

I've seen some people claim they often walk everywhere in DayZ. You never know!

Haha, that's too crazy even for me.

agree with the point. jogging is now almost faster than trying to run, slowing down and looking for food .... a vicious circle. And that's good, the map is now bigger and you have to think better: where, how, why, how long, alternative and and and, the variety of decisions has opened with only 2 small features a big door that makes everything so far "different" ,
(You'll automatically be more attentive to your char than before, because 30min from east to west was yesterday, if the trip always takes 1-2h you'll handle it differently)

Sprint vs jogging has pros and cons. Ok

what I still miss is the same too: jogging vs walk.  (pro and Cons ??)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this at all anywhere else in the forums,

but 0.63 stress test is in a very controlled environment meant for testing and it doesn't necessarily reflect even what we'll see in exp.

Personally, I don't mind the minimal amount of loot in some areas. I would wait until we see builds from exp or 0.63 stable before making conclusions about the loot and it's systems.

The question is, is there a big difference? Sprinting does drain your energy and hydration more but you'll be faster at your destination. I guess whether it makes a positive or negative difference on your energy and hydration depends on the difference in movement speed between jogging and running and the difference in energy and hydration consumption.

For me, the stamina bar isn't an "oh no, my energy and hydration consumption is increased" bar but rather an "oh shit, let's gtfo here" panic bar. That's why I jog mostly, so that I quickly can get out of dodge when shit hits the fan.

About the difficulty of the game, I think it's still way too easy, energy and hydration wise, specially energy wise. The only struggle you have is at the beginning with your hydration, which I find a bit illogical. If you get a bad spawn and can't find any water, you're doomed from the beginning. This means that you didn't even get the chance to try and survive, even if you know all the survival aspects of DayZ. Food has never been a problem for me, perhaps a little bit at the start of the game but one or two apples will do the trick, even without the apple spam.

The problem is that this is hard to balance. If there is almost no food then the beginning gets way too hard but it makes the mid-game more challenging. I don't know with how much energy you spawn in 0.63 but I noticed that your character is thirsty instead of hungry, which is the opposite of 0.62. I think this is much better since water is easier to find, so you can make food harder to find. This means you need to take more care of your character than in the previous versions of the game. It was the water which was the problem, not the food, at least not for me. I think I even was close to or even reached the 20 k calorie cap with a character. With that much calories you can easily sprint multiple times in a circle of the entire map without getting hungry and having to eat anything. Making food harder to come by, makes us less dependent on the canned food and makes more room for creative ways to feed yourself (farming, hunting, fishing, cannibalism, etc.).

And for the ones saying "I don't want DayZ to be a farming simulator", there is still the option for F11, so you can eat that bullet to solve your starvation problem. The game is and will be a survival game and not a run & gun game. I'm glad that there is going to be one game (at least I hope) which is going to prioritize character value and survival over guns on every corner and running & gunning.

Edit: seems I kind of contradict my own statements by first saying that it's bad to spawn thirsty because it doesn't give you a chance and afterwards saying that it's a good thing since water is easier to find. What I mean is that I think the initial hydration value is a bit too severe at the moment but starting out with a low(er) hydration value is better than spawning hungry.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Solopopo said:

Some people on these forums have expressed that they think both the food and stamina systems in .63 are too punishing at the moment. I could not agree less with this. From the beginning, DayZ has always been a survival game. It was always meant to be hard to survive, which I think some of you have forgotten, with the prevalence of infinite apples spoiling you. Survival is a part of the game again. It was always supposed to be part of the game. If you are never burdened by your thirst or your hunger, there is no point. If you don't need to plan out what supplies to bring on a long journey, there is no point. If nothing bad ever happens to you for failing to manage your character's status, there is no point.

Sprinting rapidly reduces thirst and food now. It is not something you can always afford to do anymore, and this makes sense. It is not realistic to sprint at your maximum capacity all the time. No one travels long distances like that. We need to get accustomed to walking. I made it all the way to the airfield on a single can of beans because I wasn't sprinting. Managing your character's health is essential, and beating the crap out of him/her all the time will put you in an early grave. This is exactly the way it should be in my opinion.

Some of you may think that journeys are painfully long without sprinting. This was not my experience. It was actually fun. The world is vibrant now. The ambient noise and weather changes are fantastic. The day night cycle also transitions faster. There is much more to look out for on the trip. Obviously you need to manage to your status as well, which is a distraction from the duration of journeys too. Things actually happen now on your way to get where you are going. The world isn't static, and neither is your character. I'm content if I'm healthy no matter what I'm doing.

edit: I am referring to basic movement with the w key, not walking by holding w and control.

I'm also in your opinion guys, DayZ is really getting the real shit again with the PVE immersion experiences, as you said it's a survival game, a unique survival game thats why DayZ is the best survival game ever.
and we all know the devs will never change the principle of the game, we just need vehicles and base building and all will be fine :) (of course there should be very good balance regarding to vehicles and bases)

Edited by Raptor97
  • Like 2

The reality is that people don't want to put time into a game in which they feel may not be worth it or lose all of it in the end.

But, truly this what dayz is about. Survival, challenge, brutal challenge at that. Finding guns and food everywhere is way too easy.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

10 minutes ago, mudnut said:

The reality is that people don't want to put time into a game in which they feel may not be worth it or lose all of it in the end.

But, truly this what dayz is about. Survival, challenge, brutal challenge at that. Finding guns and food everywhere is way too easy.

That's indeed what's it all about, trying to adept and survive. Make you value your character and the stuff you have. The FAL with mag used to be rare in 0.62, before the gift boxes and dying with one of those made you mad and disappointed. Those deaths gives you some stuff to think about, to learn from that experience and/or mistakes. It's a constant reiteration of trying to survive longer and trying to make your own/character's story better and longer. If I only want to have realistic firefights, I might as well play Arma 3.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 2
  • Beans 3

13 hours ago, IMT said:

The question is, is there a big difference? Sprinting does drain your energy and hydration more but you'll be faster at your destination. I guess whether it makes a positive or negative difference on your energy and hydration depends on the difference in movement speed between jogging and running and the difference in energy and hydration consumption.

There is actually a substantial difference. The rate of food and thirst decrease is very high when you are sprinting. It is not a direct trade off. It doesn't balance out like that. This is from my experience, but also the red arrow that appears when sprinting seems to suggest this as well. What I am referring to are the single, double, and triple arrows that appear on your food and thirst icons. The third arrow is red, indicating critical loss. It is always red when you sprint. Jogging is much preferred if you don't have many supplies. You will run yourself to death. I did it several times in the stress test. Once you start limping from lack of nutrition, you aren't going to survive if you don't have supplies on you or nearby. You will get progressively slower and then just go black. It doesn't take long. But if you don't sprint, you can get much farther. Also, if you stop moving completely your food and thirst decay slows to a crawl.

Edited by Solopopo
  • Beans 1

It is definitely not right to have stamina this strict without having any vehicles. When it will be possible to find a bicycle or some other vehicle in ~15mins then it will be kool. I also don't think that stamina system is complete, it is too static, it should depend on health and time rested (maybe it is, but I haven't noticed?), in general IMO it should last at least 2x more. But it is really nice feature, definitely makes game more interesting, except that there aren't any other choices of traveling which is - no thanks, I'll wait for vehicles. 

Great thing is that you can run uphills again, that used to be very annoying.

Another interesting new thing which affects mobility is health. I also hope that it is not finished because it is too not well adjusted IMO. I have already wrote an essay on that.... It takes too few hits/impacts for a player for him to start limping very hard. I think it is very nice feature just like stamina adds great deal of immersion and is interesting, but it also just happens too quickly, just like stamina it gets really bad too quickly, and then gets well again too quickly also. Also I think that limping seems too much directly tied to health, at least I have not yet experienced being poor health but not limping. I also haven't seen bleeding, or loosing colors (which IMO is signature of DayZ), but thats stress tests, not even experimental so...

Think about people who can not spend 5h per day on games lol, some has real lifes beside gaming, but still likes DayZ haha. 

if this is a "real" survival game i expect to find my local park littered with corpses as they were stupid enough to take the dog for a walk without a tin of tuna and jerry can... :) 

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

4 minutes ago, s1dz said:

if this is a "real" survival game i expect to find my local park littered with corpses as they were stupid enough to take the dog for a walk without a tin of tuna and jerry can... :) 

Well, when it comes to this you can still eat the dog...

• Haha 2
  • Beans 1

i fear it may end the other way around...

• Haha 1
  • Beans 3

No one will walk. People will always choose to sprint when they can. Sprint --> jog --> sprint --> jog is already the norm for 95% of players. Whatever the downsides, it is what people will do and after they will complain about how fast food and water decrease. This is why the devs should consider to remove the stamina regeneration while jogging. 

Edited by Gadget_97

28 minutes ago, Gadget_97 said:

No one will walk. People will always choose to sprint when they can. Sprint --> jog --> sprint --> jog is already the norm for 95% of players. Whatever the downsides, it is what people will do and after they will complain about how fast food and water decrease. This is why the devs should consider to remove the stamina regeneration while jogging. 

huh ... hard thoughts, but really not mindless. Running is really a threat to your character if you have no food reserves with you, even experienced in the stress test, paid for with death, and learned from it.

The second attempt to run only in an emergency brought me the realization that you are in the end, faster because you have to worry much less about food.

Yes, kool, Sqeezorz, but what about that you are actually spending your free time in playing the video game, where you spend 30mins to walk from A to B, much realism wow, it already feels mega slow when jogging, but I am kool with that, just give us bikes, bicycles and stuff

4 hours ago, s1dz said:

Yes indeed. Actally whole health mechanics feels accelerated a lot, you go super bad really fast, and you get well really fast. That might be intended for stress tests, so systems would cycle quicker and tests would generate more data, just my guess, I have no idea :D

7 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

Yes, kool, Sqeezorz, but what about that you are actually spending your free time in playing the video game, where you spend 30mins to walk from A to B, much realism wow, it already feels mega slow when jogging, but I am kool with that, just give us bikes, bicycles and stuff

Yes indeed. Actally whole health mechanics feels accelerated a lot, you go super bad really fast, and you get well really fast. That might be intended for stress tests, so systems would cycle quicker and tests would generate more data, just my guess, I have no idea :D

I suspect that's all part of the accelerated time on the stress test servers.
Right now you do heal way too fast from what we're used to at least.

@Mantasisg

I know what you mean. But the last stress test showed me: Forget the urge to get from A to B quickly. it was not slow or tedious .... I've never had so many interactions with "foreign" players until I found my buddies. Our goal was: do we survive that? So we played it, it would have taken 5-7 hours until we arrived at NWAF.

we were on the UK 0-4 (1pp)