Sign in to follow this  
Pliskinki

Stamina system the way I expected...

The first iteration of Stamina System in DayZ has been a strong topic of discussion here, so I decided to share with you all my expectations on it, but first, let me give you an example of the flaws I noticed as it stands right now.

• Lack of intuitiveness

What I mean by "intuitiveness"? Well... If you see someone carrying a huge backpack, a gun and some tools on their backs, and you were wearing light clothing, and a pistol or a rock, whatever... Who do you think that would run faster in a chase scenario?

As soon as you think about this, I believe you would assume: "Okay, izi bro. The «light weight guy» would catch the «hoarder»!"

This is what you expect when you first interact with the game (based on observations and thoughts of a friend's experience when trying out DayZ 0.63.)

This is how it works right now... Even though the «Light Guy» has a huge stamina bar and the «Hoarder» a smaller one. As soon as «Light Guy» spends his huge stamina bar, he and the «Hoarder» will run at the same speed, and neither of them will be able to catch each otherbecause the stamina regens at the same speed.

• What should be done if we need to keep stamina regenerating at the same speed?

Make it so everyone have a huge bar, regardless of the amount of weight they are carrying. Instead of shrinking it, slow the player's running speed based on their total weight.

This won't be detrimental if well designed and balanced, as players right now, on top sprinting speed can run like Usain Bolt. Hoarders should run a little slower than the actual sprinting speed, and that will be it... Well, by this point you got the idea, right? This is the way I expected it.

Besides... If the «Hoarder» was in a "do or die" chase situation, he could effectively drop his stuff and be able to run faster again. Which right now, won't do much for our poor hoarder.

Thanks for reading, comment whatever you think that is lacking or is faulty over this solution. (Remember, we will have vehicles "sooner than folks think".)

Copy and pasted from my reddit's post.

• Like 1

Just watched Sacriel play 0.63 stress test and he also came up with a similar type of solution. Everyone, dont matter if full geared or bambi, has 100 % stamina.

But if the geared guy starts running, the stamina bar shrinks way faster than the bar from the non equipped, and yeah why not lower his speed too.

For me it makes no sense, when u are heavy loaded, that u cant sprint at all. I think you should be able to, but u are out of stamina waaaay quicker than a light weight person and u are also slower yeah.

Ofcourse on top of that there should be more types of influences to the stamina besides ur load, but I think thats the plan of the devs also, if illness and things hit the game.

Edited by Paradox89

On 5/17/2018 at 3:15 AM, Pliskinki said:

..//..
• Lack of intuitiveness

..//..

this seems a fair suggestion.

So - how about if the bar were longer or shorter depending on your total WEIGHT
AND the length of your personal bar ALSO sets your Max running speed .. ?

So a short bar would have a lower Max speed  than a long bar. Short bar means you are carrying more weight, your speed starts dropping from YOUR max speed. A guy with less weight has a longer bar, higher speed, and his speed starts dropping from his higher Max. So he can always catch the guy who carries more weight, and it'll take him longer to reach 'exhausted'.

And if both guys are exhausted - of course they can't catch each other. (that's not worse than the game was pre-stamina). So don't chase someone if you're low on stamina unless you can run faster than them.  They may have a big load that gives them a low Max speed, but their personal stamina may be up at their max, unlike your exhausted guy carrying no weight.

Also make sure that the "total-full-load" speed in the game (the shortest bar), is set lower than zombie running speed, so seriously overloaded players, even if not tired, would have to drop stuff if they wanted to escape zombs.. (and maybe sneak back later for it)..

??

• Beans 1

can't be sure but the speeds we move at are probably strictly tied to animations as they are not using IK(*1) on the feet, for running (some anims they do use IK, so don't get confused by the videos :P).

So if the speed was to change, the character would look like it's 'skating'. To fix this, it would mean 'set step' for speeds, each with it's subtly different animation (still , would look cool to see a fully loaded player having to 'swing the weight about'), kinda like we have for injuries in 0.63.

would be nice if speeds where different, work well for my type of play, but i can't see them going to that much effort :(

Added: if its not the case then i was this suggestion yesterday!

*1:IK is where the animation is kinda worked out from/blended to fit with a position/joint. that's a very very simplified explanation, fell free to explore Inverse kinematics (IK)

Edited by soods
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, soods said:

can't be sure but ..//..

I think you probably got that right. I didn't think of it (to be honest).
But in the pre-stamina game you could run faster if you had nothing in your hands, than if you were holding something (eg a gun or melee weapon or an oildrum .. heh).  So there were back then two set speeds for fast. The standard way to get clear of a loony with a melee weapon was to put your gun away and run hands empty. You left the other guy trailing further and further behind after a while.  = tests show that Loonies never think of putting away their axe so they can keep up with you, they NEED to have it in their hands (they talk to it, I guess?)
Yeah, but a range of graduated movement-speed animations, I guess that would screw my 'simple' proposal. - Good point.

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I think you probably got that right. I didn't think of it (to be honest).
But in the pre-stamina game you could run faster if you had nothing in your hands, than if you were holding something (eg a gun or melee weapon or an oildrum .. heh).  So there were back then two set speeds for fast. The standard way to get clear of a loony with a melee weapon was to put your gun away and run hands empty. You left the other guy trailing further and further behind after a while.  = tests show that Loonies never think of putting away their axe so they can keep up with you, they NEED to have it in their hands (they talk to it, I guess?)
Yeah, but a range of graduated movement-speed animations, I guess that would screw my 'simple' proposal. - Good point.

If I'm not mistaken, in the old DayZ SA , players did run faster without items in there hands.  I haven't been able to test this on the stress as getting on is just a pain in the ass.  As for the stamina, "first iteration", let them work at it some more.  I am hoping weight plays a role in how fast a character moves walking, jogging and sprinting and for how long.  More weight, you're over exerting yourself, now you need to stop and rest and grab a drink and a bite to eat.

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Beans 1