RaphaelDeFusco

[Terrain addition] Artillery/Airstrike/Gunship/Naval bombardment craters

Let me know if you like the idea.  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Does this sound like an interesting way of changing the way the map looks?

• Yes, I think craters simulating the military's effort to stop the infection would be a neat addition.
    • No, the military got overrun way too fast or didn't want to hit civilians which prevented them from making use of artillery.

I've been wondering if we could add some war zone flavour to the map, personally I'd like to believe that the military attempted to slow down the infected with mortar strikes (Perhabs a mortar could be a weapon for base defense?), artillery cannons, possibly gunships and made use of their airforce and fleet before giving up on the island. The craters could be found in various places like around military facilities as a sign that they attempted to fight off the hordes, near refugee camps / evacuation zones, checkpoints, in cities tearing up the roads and collapsing buildings to delay the infected, perhabs at blown up bridges, deep in the woods as the infected were spotted by scouts or airplanes and ect.

Some of the craters could be filled up with water, adding water sources to locations that may otherwise not have had them (Like in the middle of the woods or farming fields, perhabs pesticides could have contaminated craters near farms - giving you a new water type to add to kill rookies.)

It would also add cover and hidding spots in the various locations.

EBHnKOi.jpg  nMvzNoy.jpg   

xRjIUQ7.png 4o6fSyi.jpg 

Edited by RaphaelDeFusco
  • Beans 3

Considering how rural the region of Chernarus is, the bombings should only really have been focused at the cities and maybe some of the largest towns (all of them civilian targets), meaning we'd have to completely or mostly destroy them with a few craters on the nearby areas. That would lead to some reduced loot and -- depending how far you want to go with the believability -- mostly ruined loot. I don't think it would make any sense for open fields to have been bombed like some of your pictures show either, because there wouldn't have been enough people/infected to target. (I don't see large hordes heading for the forests because people typically use roads instead.)

Those two points also go for military locations, they're not big enough targets and the army wouldn't just bomb itself. Even if they did, it'd just lead to less military loot.

Would it add flavor? Yeah. Would it look cool? Cool enough to give you beans for the pictures. Would it improve gameplay? I'm not too convinced.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 1

In general in my opinion they should add more of the "military vs infected" battles in the past, what happened and so on.
There should be also more dynamic events like more smoked tanks/military vehicles around the map and not only at the northern west side.

• Beans 1

Well I'm not saying that entire towns should look like they got bombed into dust, especially since the military probably wouldn't want to hit civilians. I'm just saying it would be nice to have a visual representation of the military making use of more than small-arms, especially since there is so many APCs and tanks scattered around. 

And I didn't say the military would bomb itself, I said they would likely have defended the perimeters of their facilities and used it to secure areas of interest.

I would personally feel more immersed if I felt like I was walking through the aftermath of a war zone with bomb craters scattered around, barbed wire and blockades creating chokepoints, bodybags and old corpse piles stacked high, seeing rusty cars left in place in a traffic jam caused by military checkpoints and ect. It's for immersion and seeing signs of the struggle and combat against the infected.

Edited by RaphaelDeFusco
  • Beans 1

Fine thinking there both @RaphaelDeFusco and @Dancing.Russian.Man... But I like the idea of having one area like that. It would be unique. There's already that hole filled up with infected corpses somewhere in the north (can't remember - around Kamensk?) so things there must have gotten really scary. There's a couple of towns bigger and smaller near both NW airfield (Vybor) and Tisy base (Novaya Petrovka). Also Kamensk with Severograd. So maybe a few bigger attacks could have happened following and pushing the military towards back north - north west into those bases. Those desperate military forces that eventually got caught up in the base, decided to use whatever they got finally, like those tanks or some artillery and mortars, just before bailing towards Tisy and the hell out of Chernarus. Maybe that open field by the road separating NW airfield and Vybor and/or Kabanino. No loot to be destroyed there :)

• Like 1

Craters ? mm.. not a bad idea i would say. When i first starting reading i thought about the bomb craters i seen travelling vietnam in 2006 and indeed they were now water sources and fishing spots (the bigger craters) for the locals.

I mean it would be nice to see maybe a few areas that would have been bombed, there is no reason why not. Atleast maybe one "scorched earth" area. 

To be honest my head is more so in the direction of more cars and debri that litter the streets or a long traffic jam leading the road up to green mountain.

More civilian signs of "The Great Panic" if you will.    

I like the idea. The placement for such craters I see as the biggest problem, because there are not many places that make a crater credible. The world in Chernarus does not testify directly to a war, it is too intact. It shows a world without the civilized human being, a world that belongs to nature. If I could choose locations then this one:

1) Balota west of the airfield where ruins are already standing.

2) The road in the southwestern and northwestern Evaczone, it would make sense to you why it did not continue and caused the panic (roadcrater).

3) at the Destroyed Village below Guglovo.

These are all points that contribute to the story without showing a world that destroyed itself, we must remember that it was a fight against a "disease" and not a military power, so much is still in a relatively good condition.

Chernarus is not finished with mapdesign, we do not know exactly what is coming. Your idea with the craters might not quite fit Chernarus (compared to the effort), but I'm convinced that such an asset can fit very well in other maps, or better (? Namalsk?)

• Like 1
  • Beans 1