exwoll

So, what happened to Brian?

Well, seems that what I was afraid of since I posted about his strange disappearance from the Dayz arena was indeed happening... :(

Just hope he didn't left because of some creative disagreement and the game isnt going to drift towards some casual pubg like thing just to grab some more 12yo $$$ :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Beans 1

If you read his part of the Status Report carefully, you will understand what his role was and why he is leaving. And to be honest, there isn't anything strange about it and actually makes sense.

• Beans 1

I believe it's called "Doing a Dean", making sure you get the hell out of dodge before the shit hits the fan.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, exwoll said:

some casual pubg like thing just to grab some more 12yo $$$ :( 

1889-10-guy.jpg

Imo he left, because he's finished with his role for DayZ which means the plans for DayZ is already made and the rest team knows what to do and Brian went working for another project such as Arma 4 or even somewhere else mby another studio.
It's like working as 3D Modeler, once the models are finished u are not needed anymore for that project. 
Correct me if im wrong.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Beans 2

How about just taking what he wrote in the Status Report for face value?

I'll translate.

I feel DayZ has reached a point in which I, much like how Dean felt years back - am no longer needed. I've spent years talking to you all, working with the team, and collaborating with Peter on where we want DayZ to be, how we want DayZ to feel. Now that you have started to see, and touch DayZ .63 I feel like our plans, our dreams are finally within grasp.

Here, Brian feels like he's no longer needed.  He states that he's collaborated with the team a bunch.   Now he feels as if their dreams are finally within grasp.

For the last year, I have been slowly taking more and more of a back seat (as I'm sure some of you have noticed) and tried to push folks like Peter, Adam, and others to let their voice be heard. Over that year I have made plans for what is next for me and worked for free with Peter Nespešný in a design consultant role.

Brian states he's been taking more of a back seat and letting folks like Peter, Adam and others' voices be heard.  He has also dropped info about his future plans and has been working for free in a consultant role.

I won't lie

Brian won't lie to you.

DayZ has been my life, made my life - and been so ingrained in who and what I am that I won't be able to just walk away. Hell, I've just crossed 7,000 hours between two accounts. From here, I look forward to opportunities back home in the States, being closer to family, and playing DayZ as much as I possibly can. I certainly have not forgotten my promise to TSM Smak to do a 24-hour stream when DayZ hits 1.0.

Brian states he plays DayZ a lot.  He's looking forward to opportunities back home in the States and being closer to family.  He looks forward to playing more DayZ.

So there it is.  The real reason/s Brian Hicks is moving on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 6

I mean, we all read what he wrote. However, as far as I know, the Creative Director role is quite important sometimes even well beyond the release of the game, since they have to curate the marketing of the game, new additions, merchandising, etc. And Dayz still has a long road to walk in those aspects, I sincerely find it weird to go through it without a CD..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IMT said:

If you read his part of the Status Report carefully, you will understand what his role was and why he is leaving. And to be honest, there isn't anything strange about it and actually makes sense.

Well that was rude.. 

Your response is that Ex did not read it right or at all? 

And he was vague at best.. literally, Brian was in his post. That he prefers to work for free as a consultant.. that makes sense to you? 

The truth is, there were major creative differences and you can read about them over several status reports.. over and over again, Brian would lightly touch the subject that PETER wants this.. while he wants different.

Eventually Peter fired him, or he outright quit because he was tired of the BS. 

Edited by Irish.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish. said:

The truth is, there were major creative differences and you can read about them over several status reports.. over and over again, Brian would lightly touch the subject that PETER wants this.. while he wants different.

Maybe Brian was defending the floating crosshair to the last. If that's what it is, he should receive a couple of monuments in-game like a soldier holding a big cross above him. lol

But seriously, last changes to the game, starting with the change of colors of the game after 0.62, were all Peter's ideas and he quite defended them as "planned" (yeah sure, lets make Chernarus a cheerful place! /s), the arcadey changes to recoil, crosshair, characters movement. 

I really think that Peter got really into PUBG the last couple of years and now wants everything like he seen that "works" in that game.....

Edited by exwoll
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Irish. said:

Well that was rude.. 

And he was vague at best.. literally, Brian was in his post. That he prefers to work for free as a consultant.. that makes sense to you? 

I'm making assumptions about him not reading the SR or not reading it thoroughly and you are kicking off lies into the world. I'm really wondering who's the rude one here, smh...

• Beans 1

52 minutes ago, exwoll said:

Maybe Brian was defending the floating crosshair to the last. If that's what it is, he should receive a couple of monuments in-game like a soldier holding a big cross above him. lol

But seriously, last changes to the game, starting with the change of colors of the game after 0.62, were all Peter's ideas and he quite defended them as "planned" (yeah sure, lets make Chernarus a cheerful place! /s), the arcadey changes to recoil, crosshair, characters movement. 

I really think that Peter got really into PUBG the last couple of years and now wants everything like he seen that "works" in that game.....

Agreed . I don’t want these “unseen” devs that just give us filler after filler in the status reports not mentioning at all the changes they intend to make , until it’s too late and it’s already implemented of course .

all the “deception” started when Brian and eugen started to take a “back seat” (about a year ago now) , since then Brian’s been unseen and Eugens been doing legit all the bitch work , often just handing off his portion of the status reports to the others as soon as possible . I truly believe the course of dayz development has been stagnated due to either the console development interfering (yes yes we all get it , they SAID it wouldn’t interfere but....) or just lots of internal ideas going against each other .

if Brian and eugen were still the head of the public figure for dayz and also the creative leads , then I fully believe these weird changes as of late wouldn’t have been implemented (over saturated color of chernarus  , nights too bright and ugly , MMB/shift change to Ads , no dispersion on weapons , and other design decisions that will undoubtedly annoy the crap out of everyone). 

Strange changes that shouldn’t exist are happening all too often as of late .

• Like 2

Good luck in whatever you do in the future Brian. We welcome you now to the Art of Patience Fan Club. Thanks for helping keep the original DayZ feels alive. I don't understand or didn't read thoroughly enough but I kinda hope your the only guy who was over there working for free? I can't help but speculate and read into things but did (after all this time) DayZ money dry up? not that it's my business just concerned I guess.. but one thing I do know, Working for free aint never a good thing, even if it purely for passion and love of something.. how does one live real life without money?

Anyways, Your resignation will surely spark the re-branding of the games title now you've left .. Rather than DayZ, YearZ is more fitting. 

What i have noticed that he made some mistakes between job and life,that he got stressed....im not doctor phil but that picture i got when i was visiting brians twitter....but its not of our business to think what happened really.when you dont feel allright,you got to make decicicions to get yourself on a surface.

12 hours ago, IMT said:

1 hour ago, IMT said:

I'm making assumptions about him not reading the SR or not reading it thoroughly and you are kicking off lies into the world. I'm really wondering who's the rude one here, smh...

Yeah, let me guess, you also think Russia is behind Trump because thats what the news papers say right? lol

Brian words in the SR (if they were actually his), were written under NDA and still as a subordinate of BI. And anything as significan as the departure of the CD would get  a lot of edition and approvals before being allowed to get to the public. 

Edited by exwoll

Something is wrong when most noticeable pr-person leaves the project... again. It was Dean who first brought players (and millions to bis) to Dayz. And atleast for me Brian was one of the most convincing person after Dean who kept people believe in Dayz @ social media.

Of course...only thing what comes in my mind that is the dayz be still survival game with horror aspect?...

Although things like saturation and brightness levels are surely a matter of taste and are prone to changes in the development stages, I don't see much problem with colors in the game really. I don't like too much of those, but I don't want to watch a gray horror movie either. It's like having a sticker on your screen saying that this is a horror movie you're watching. The real world indeed is a colorful place. Except when it's raining. That's why the game is not set in England. And sometimes it can feel like a really strange place to be in, too. You can live in a beautiful colorful little village surrounded by hills, valleys, forests and streams yet your first door neighbors or even your own family can make your life miserable. Let alone one virus. For me, this is what made a certain contrast into the whole Dayz world. A colorful looking world with some really grim and desperate situations our characters get in. The more contrast, the more maddening. Now, keep in mind that with many of us having played these early access versions for years now, getting to learn and use so much of the game mechanics... we don't feel that much impressed or surprised anymore. Maybe take a break?

As far as crosshair, sway, recoil aiming and ADS stuff, or to cut it short: "this game will become PUBG arcadey and BI is going for the $$$"... I wouldn't like that either, and it's why I never got into H1Z1:KotK and PUBG in the first place. But I think that it's their business decision what they will do with it finally. It's okay on our end to state our opinions what we like and what we don't like in a developing game, but without speculations which can be really hurting and insulting. Let your opinions be heard on the forums, reddit etc and we'll see from there which side prevails. Maybe millions of players will run to it then, which is $$$ of course, or maybe it will be Dayz's doom and the whole thing would get watered down in the mix with the others. There's too much wish from us users to control a direction of a product as if we made some kind of a major investment in it and became shareholders. And not someone who paid half a price for an early access game like this, that we still played for years, undoubtedly had fun, created ziggabytes of video content from etc.

With Brian Hicks also leaving couple of years after Dean Hall, and trying to get into some new project back home, I can't really tell what's wrong with that. I don't really want to read between the lines. So I don't see a point in guessing and predicting what that means for Dayz. There's plenty of people that just left or sold their years-successful businesses, bands, game franchises, projects which went on going. But they could finally do something else in their life, elsewhere. 

• Beans 3

6 hours ago, Irish. said:

Well that was rude.. 

Guys, jeez.

Its literally what I wrote in the SR. I don't run the company, I wasn't the Project Lead - DayZ will be *fine* - Peter is still standing watch. <3

• Like 1
  • Beans 7

4 hours ago, blackberrygoo said:

Agreed . I don’t want these “unseen” devs that just give us filler after filler in the status reports not mentioning at all the changes they intend to make , until it’s too late and it’s already implemented of course .

all the “deception” started when Brian and eugen started to take a “back seat” (about a year ago now) , since then Brian’s been unseen and Eugens been doing legit all the bitch work , often just handing off his portion of the status reports to the others as soon as possible . I truly believe the course of dayz development has been stagnated due to either the console development interfering (yes yes we all get it , they SAID it wouldn’t interfere but....) or just lots of internal ideas going against each other .

if Brian and eugen were still the head of the public figure for dayz and also the creative leads , then I fully believe these weird changes as of late wouldn’t have been implemented (over saturated color of chernarus  , nights too bright and ugly , MMB/shift change to Ads , no dispersion on weapons , and other design decisions that will undoubtedly annoy the crap out of everyone). 

Strange changes that shouldn’t exist are happening all too often as of late .

What the heck? Unseen devs? You mean the people who are building DayZ?

I stopped making commits and switched to managing high level vision years ago, Eugen is a *Producer* - aka Production Management.

Hearing from people like Peter *should* be what you want. Engage with him, talk with him. He loves DayZ as much if not more than I ever did.

• Like 1
  • Beans 9

The big question remains... Will we now get a banana in the holster? ;)

Until then I'll keep my keep my head down and try not to get shot if I run into you in the woods ;)

• Beans 1

This thread is like a flat-earther group or maybe anti-vaxxers, full of misinformation and nothing but conjecture. @Hicks_206 (DayZ) has stated the only facts in this thread. 

I would not be mad at you if you chose another profession after having to deal with the butthole of the internet for the past 4 years. 

Thanks for your valuable time and considerable effort you put forth in this project.

• Beans 7

22 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Guys, jeez.

Its literally what I wrote in the SR. I don't run the company, I wasn't the Project Lead - DayZ will be *fine* - Peter is still standing watch. <3

I'm sorry Brother.. I've just been irked up for a while now, awaiting these changes.. feeling so worried that the console porting would play too heavily on things, and the other day I felt like my fears had finally come to fruition. 

I am really sorry for dragging you into this publicly.. enjoy your new ventures Brian, and best of luck with all of it. 

Edited by Irish.
  • Beans 5

On 5/9/2018 at 6:41 PM, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

What the heck? Unseen devs? You mean the people who are building DayZ?

I stopped making commits and switched to managing high level vision years ago, Eugen is a *Producer* - aka Production Management.

Hearing from people like Peter *should* be what you want. Engage with him, talk with him. He loves DayZ as much if not more than I ever did.

The rest of the dayz team sure hasn't been "unseen" in my opinion, and I am not one to withhold my criticisms. I think your leaving at this point is natural. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors. Thank you for committing so much of your time and dealing with so much crap to help make DayZ a reality.