Baty Alquawen

Status Report - May 8, 2018

I like the right click (toggle) to bring up the weapon into ADS.

Sway should be exhaustion, time and maybe skill dependent, starting with a small sway that gradually goes into trembling and eventually back to low ready. Using supports can greatly reduce sway, but still exhaustion, time and skill should be a factor. Looking down a scope I like to see a mix of breathing and heart-rate induced shake.

Hip fire brings the gun from low ready to low aim in ~0,5 sec before firing. The persons' movements should affect accuracy.

A crosshair should only appear when the player stand still or is moving slow to easily select, kneel and pick up items.

Taking off one's backpack and reaching in would be great to make preparation, pockets and vests more important for combat.

I don't know if I want to have 3rd person view in vanilla. Maybe it attracts the non communication KOS people too much? - Have you noticed a difference in the different groups' players?

• Beans 3

20 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I just believe that vanilla DayZ should be played in 1pp.

3pp is a completely different game to me.

3pp also breaks immersion for me.

I know they won't likely make vanilla 100% 1pp, but I do know the devs agree with me on some level.

Do not worry, there will be servers on the official tab, which are 3pp / 1pp and which are only 1pp (and certainly without crosshair).
It will select the players by themselves, which I think the people who are found on 1pp, are slightly different than those who play only* on 3pp.

* There are also exceptions, I do not want to throw all in the same pot, I also write left and hold the knife right.

• Beans 1

28 minutes ago, Troll_Hunter said:

Sway should be exhaustion, time and maybe skill dependent, starting with a small sway that gradually goes into trembling and eventually back to low ready. Using supports can greatly reduce sway, but still exhaustion, time and skill should be a factor. Looking down a scope I like to see a mix of breathing and heart-rate induced shake.

I strongly suspect that the removal of the SWAY has to do with the control of the console, because with a controller it is much harder to aim at fast moments.
(as the only game I have played on Console once is Doom .. and it does not feel like the Id games I know from the past (PC) .... with Console it's just a little bit more comfortable)
But we are here with PC, and we need that to balance.
(I myself am not a PVP fan in DayZ, but I like when my opponent is good, and good in the sense of being really good, then I know why I'm dead).
Insert the Sway ... and set the Sway value in the console version to "0" to make it easier.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

18 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Have you noticed a difference in the different groups' players?

I think so.

Survival purists seem to prefer 1pp.

3pp was literally labeled as easy mode in Arma 2 and so people who want to feel safe or have less of a challenge will stick with 3pp as a rule.

People still refer to 1pp as "hardcore" to this day, and for good reason. It makes detecting the infected and other players more challenging.

I know some people get motion sickness (totally valid reason for 3pp) and others like to look at their clothes (open the inventory and spin him around, that's what it's there for) but I think a simulator needs to have standards that reflect the experience desired.

In my perfect DayZ world, 3pp is a mod. XD

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
their not there
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cirkular said:

Hahah yeah that's true, I get it :) how many actual shots did those take though?

Anyway I liked it, maybe because I got used to it. I still think they made it as a sort of a compromise because you don't have a complete from your hands feel on the direction of the barrel. And I'm talking about close up fighting. Just some visual clue on the screen. The way it works in distance too is unfortunate and can't really think of a workaround. I guess one could get used to aim with just the center of the screen is for example. 

Most in 1. I think the second furthest took 2 or 3. But the furthest shot, was on the first try, surprisingly.

I usually aim down the sights at long range but sometimes I use the crosshair for fun. You shouldn't be able to make things like this without using sights IMO.

It feels nice to play with. But it's unfortunately, too nice.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

17 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Most in 1. I think the second furthest took 2 or 3. But the furthest shot, was on the first try, surprisingly.

I usually aim down the sights at long range but sometimes I use the crosshair for fun. You shouldn't be able to make things like this without using sights IMO.

It feels nice to play with. But it's unfortunately, too nice.

Well from your examples you're obviously on the point :D and I agree it shouldn't work so accurate and so good in such distance. This seems easy when you get used to it. But I think the double-barrel shotgun would more likely hit from there, another thing is how much damage would it make.

Maybe if they made it like the older one with just two arcs on the side but wider. A quick but complicated additional idea coming to my mind is it would kind of fade in only when there is an target or an obstacle in front of you say 15 meters or less, which would need to work similarly as the range finder does...

On the other hand the easiest way would be just to remove it completely. Hopefully it wouldn't make life harder to navigate through a floor of loot and ladders and doors. I think those two are connected there and I'm curious how will that UI part be developed.

Anyway I got what you guys were saying in the first place of course. So you'd be basically using 'hip-fire' only in close-up fighting, extreme cases like that and IMO it should be a bit quicker then ADS. But you better have that target close to the center of your screen. You just bumped into a geared guy around the corner and you got to shoot first, shot a few rounds and then went back for cover. Oh the excitement coming out of the cover after half a minute of silence, finding out that you've actually drilled a hole in them :D Much more rewarding. Good gameplay is what matters to me also and I think this could bring something there.

• Like 1

Checked how dispersion would look for a typical hunting rifle @ 1.5 MOA.

uAzhhdN.jpg

Not much random nonsense there, and not even the most accurate rifle.

For an assault rifle of 3.0 MOA you have a 95% chance of hitting a 20-inch circle out to 400 m.
For a hunting rifle of 1.5 MOA you have a 95% chance of hitting a 20-inch circle out to 800 m.
For a sniper rifle of 1.0 MOA you have a 95% chance of hitting a 20-inch circle out to 1200 m.

Can't see how this is objectionable.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

3 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

Wind?

Yes, that's one of the parameters. but there are others who are fix.

1) the ammunition itself (I worked in a ammunitions-factory a long time ago) because in the manufacturing process there are also tolerances and wear of the pulling-tools. Sniper ammunition is almost always from the first series after a tool change and is handled with particular care.

2) the barrel of the weapon. Again, the same rules apply to the production as the ammunition. A gun barrel is measured and selected after the manufacturing process, because virtually no weapon barrel is 100% straight, the best barrels go separately in the further production, which exceed the tolerances are destroyed. Everything in between is considered "good" (I could see and learn this once during a training in a weapons factory).

3) Wear, handling, weather (yes, long side sunshine, for example, bends the barrel), and most importantly, care of the weapon.

All this gives the dispersion.

I have read some post here and some in the reddit board about the hipfire/crosshair discussion. 

First my point of view i think in hipfire the projectile has to come out of the barrel straight out of it and not from the center to the center of your screen or in a bow from the gun in the center of your screen because there is a fix crosshair.

The moving crosshair was a nice solution but it is very easy to aim with it, it is like to have a laser on the gun.

An other argument that the gun has to shoot in th direction that it is pointing at and not to the center of the screen is the sight of the target player. Everybody is writing how it is to aim and shoot with it and not to see how you get shooted.

For example someone standing 10m in front of you maybe wants to start hipfireing at you the gun is pointing straight at you ok but if you are closer oder a little bit more away the gun points NOT at you but he hits you how can that be good?

16 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

Wind?

There is no wind in DayZ. 

Dispersion is typically set to represent the inherent accuracy of the weapon, based on real life. Or usually, what a competent marksman would achieve with the weapon under ideal conditions. Typically not taking into account wind and various other factors.

So if you are firing a rifle off a bench, on a rest, maybe even from a machine rest, and this rifle is shooting 5-round groups which average 2 inches extreme spread at 100 yards, the dispersion would be:

2/100/36 = 0.00056

That's approximately the maximum level of accuracy this weapon can achieve with whatever ammunition and sights you are using. 

In status report it says they want to remove the feature, making all weapons perfectly accurate. Horribly unrealistic.

What the status report says to me is that we can't have real life accuracy because real life guns are too inaccurate. Which is ridiculous.

Hopefully with enough feedback they will change their minds on this one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Schwelmer said:

For example someone standing 10m in front of you maybe wants to start hipfireing at you the gun is pointing straight at you ok but if you are closer oder a little bit more away the gun points NOT at you but he hits you how can that be good?

It says in the status report:

"Our goal with it is to reach the state, where it’s nearly impossible to distinguish it from the realistic behaviour of shooting along the direction of a barrel of the gun."

If they achieve this goal, I don't see a problem.

A fun fact: bullets in this game never exactly followed the bore axis (where the barrel is pointing).

• Beans 1

The hipfire crosshair change makes no sense at all. If you want a better crosshair you don't need to look further than to your own other games, like arma 3 which already has an excellent crosshair that doesn't need to bend physics to work.

You say your goal is to "reach the state, where it’s nearly impossible to distinguish it from the realistic behaviour of shooting along the direction of a barrel of the gun", in which case there is no reason for the change at all. By simple logic this means that the change won't be as subtle as you say. And with all the problems that comes with the static crosshair, like inertia, this change will have your developers spending an unreasonable amount of time perfecting a system noone asked for.

This change is just an overcomplicated hotfix for something that never was an issue in the first place. In other words a big waste of time. Doesn't make sense at all, unless it has to do with the console port, in which case you will lose a lot respect.

• Beans 1

7 hours ago, -Gews- said:

There is no wind in DayZ. 

Dispersion is typically set to represent the inherent accuracy of the weapon, based on real life. Or usually, what a competent marksman would achieve with the weapon under ideal conditions. Typically not taking into account wind and various other factors.

So if you are firing a rifle off a bench, on a rest, maybe even from a machine rest, and this rifle is shooting 5-round groups which average 2 inches extreme spread at 100 yards, the dispersion would be:

2/100/36 = 0.00056

That's approximately the maximum level of accuracy this weapon can achieve with whatever ammunition and sights you are using. 

In status report it says they want to remove the feature, making all weapons perfectly accurate. Horribly unrealistic.

What the status report says to me is that we can't have real life accuracy because real life guns are too inaccurate. Which is ridiculous.

Hopefully with enough feedback they will change their minds on this one.

Oh i know, because i have been a gunsmith most of my life.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎09 at 11:48 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

A few things I would like to see for vanilla...

1PP, forced

No crosshair, forced

Dispersion, balanced properly

Complete control of keybindings, standard

Backpack animations, making you stop to look into your bag on one knee 

3 days to death without water when completely sedentary

2 weeks without food when similarly sedentary

Increased chance to fail a task like using a fire kit (possibly wasting resources) when, hungry, injured, hot/cold, sick

Empty cans for cooking or trip wire alarm

Empty bottles for Molotov cocktails

Boat crafted from raw materials....

*sigh*

I'm still optimistic.

Just bumping this list.....because it needs to be.

• Thanks 1