Deadboy (DayZ)

Holding mouse buttons and carpal tunnels ...

Friends and I would like to strongly suggest an alternative to having to hold mouse buttons in coming versions, to accomplish actions in the game.

Let's call it click-again-to-cancel.

We're already considering rebinding Q and E to mouse 1 and 2 respectively in addition to the mouse keys itself, to not have to always use the right hand. To many this will seem silly, but please believe me, this is an issue that you too might encounter when you get older, or when you simply play a whole lot.

I was even considering getting foot pedals. It is that important to me. Clicking never is a problem. Holding buttons for a very short time (as in dragging and dropping), also is fine. But the prolonged presses I've experienced in the stress test and offline, are too much.

Please consider it! It would vastly improve the controls for a number of people, no doubt.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

yes i can vouch for this.. im in my early 30s now and use a computer waay too much (games and work)... carpal tunnel indeed i do get.. so important to remember those stretches and getting up to go for a bit of a walk

• Thanks 1

I have to agree too that click-again-to-cancel as proposed would be nice addition. Players then could decide themselves whether they like to hold button down or click to activate and click to deactivate.

It would be annoying to have to create autohotkey scripts again for this game too just to make controls better and more easier to our wrists tbh.

• Thanks 1

I wish the controls took advantage of mousewheel up/down more.  I often re-keybind games to use MW up/down to major mechanics and things that require precision clicks.  Being able to continually roll the mouse wheel, imo, would be a great alternative to holding.

The "click again to cancel" sort of thing that I am suggesting, is because I believe a lot of playyers need an alternative to put less burden on muscle and tendons in the wrist. Anything to alleviate carpal tunnel syndrome, or even the chances of getting there.

Continually rolling the wheel sounds like an alternative to holding - nice on paper - but I'm not sure it really is better.  You might even be able to speed things up, but it would seem to still require constant motion with a finger and the "wiring" in your wrist. 

Edited by Deadboy (DayZ)

I believe that holding buttons wont get u Carpal Tunnel Syndrome ( otherwise handwriting and most of standard jobs such as warehouse packaging handling would get u it too, but it doesn't )
It's more of the hand holding position that causes it, get a proper mousepad and keyboard's wrist rest and u should be fine. I had an carpal tunnel syndrome signs on my left hand ( electric sensation going through fingers etc, squezzing pains etc ). and it was caused by my wrist placed on the desk with average pressure against the table ( during intense gaming when i used mostly WSAD / Space ).

Edited by exacomvm

Then this option wouldn't be your pick, I suppose. However, this is something that's probably different for most people. To varying degrees. It puts strain on my wrist, tendons, and I've been "playing healthy" for a good while now, as I'm 42 years old, now. Also, I've had a number of conversations about this with streamers and audiences, and am not the only one to see this is a long term problem, if no other options are present. Trust me please, I know the basics of how to treat my body, how to sit, what chair, keyboard and mouse are the most ergonomic and align with my personal preference.

Having this option would really help. I hope a lot of people, even when they're not personally affected in the least, would be supportive. Thanks so much, but I understand your reservations, too! Also, hope your carpal is kept in check, and that you can play as you please! <3

Edited by Deadboy (DayZ)
  • Beans 1

Just remembered this, as I always found it too tiring to do after a couple of times. It would be best if we could choose between options to simply click to toggle and cancel, or hold mouse button for action. But it depends if the devs stay with the intended idea as with some items you get to click to change to another action and hold to execute it. At least if we could change to a keyboard button.