Rekurv

DayZ Metro

After noticing that the server population is likely to more than double I was a little concerned that overcrowding may cause us to lose some of that desolate apocalypse feeling, and was trying to work out how to make the  map more spacious. 

I recently read the book (and played the  game ) METRO 2033 (post-nuclear apocalypse dystopia where humanity lives in the Moscow underground metro) and thought this might fit in really well with DayZ.

If we had a web of underground metro stations that connecting major towns like Cherno, Elektro, Berezino, Zeleno etc., it might stop overcrowding. Apart from the stations the metro could be pitch black, always very cold and foggy, filled with zombies/huge rats, toxic gas in some sections etc. Confusing side passages and tunnels could provide more options for people to hide barrels/ tents or set up small survival outposts. Not a place for fresh spawns, but provide a more direct route for more geared players who are not adverse to higher risk to travel around a bit faster.

I realize there is 1000 more things to do before looking at anything like this, but considering the dayZ map is one of the best/ most beautiful maps i have ever seen in any game (boonie hats off to the Map Team) I would love to see the team try something like this.

More of a dream than a suggestion I guess, but thought it would be cool.

Yeh on second thought dayZ is a bit rural...Maybe in DayZ part 2 then. 

metro mɛtrəʊ/
noun
1.an underground railway system in a city, especially Paris.

adjective

NORTH AMERICAN

1.metropolitan.

"the Detroit metro area"

---------------------------
Realistically you wouldn't connect essentially a whole country via underground train lines.

From a game play perspective you're basically making 5-10km meat grinder tunnels or direct paths to cities/towns that you could auto run to off the side of the walls..
Doesn't really suit imo. 

The idea of hiding in a world where people walk around with only the goal to crush you ... makes sense to have places that are "underground". But such immense tunnel systems do not fit Chernarus. Much more appropriate would be to add some "underground structures" (bunkers, laboratories) / caves (in rock areas). The opening of the mines in Solnichy and Kamensk should also be included.

//These underground structures were indeed removed for the sake of bugs / glitches ... who knows if with the new player controller a 2nd Chance results .... keep your fingers crossed.//

Edited by Sqeezorz
typo...
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

The idea of hiding in a world where people walk around with only the goal to crush you ... makes sense to have places that are "underground". But such immense tunnel systems do not fit Chernarus. Much more appropriate would be to add some "underground structures" (bunkers, laboratories) / caves (in rock areas). The opening of the mines in Solnichy and Kamensk should also be included.

//These underground structures were indeed removed for the sake of bugs / glitches ... who knows if with fem new player controller a 2nd Chanve results .... keep your fingers crossed.//

Oh nice, I didn't realize they had already been working on that kind of stuff. That's cool. Yeah opening those mines would be awesome. Sewer/ storm-water systems also might work. I remember when we were kids we used to crawl through those storm water drains with torches. Silly idea, but it was fairly amazing. It's like another world down there...

Edited by Rekurv
spelling correction.
  • Like 1

Oh yes, I know that too ... when Sqeez was still young and small .... every cave or tube had to be explored. I still have a scar on my hand from a torch of wood grass and tree resin .... the burning resin dripped on my hand .... but it was the only light we had in the cave ... a painful one Trip was that time.

• Beans 1

haha nice. The battle scars of an explorer.