Sign in to follow this  
therandomredstone

Thinking about coming back?

Hello forums! It feels great to type on this webpage again. 

I'm striving to make a return to DayZ Standalone, which I've accumulated nearly a thousand hours on throughout the years of 2014-16. 

I've noticed a steady drop in the number of concurrent players for the game, but I've heard communities such as my old dayzunderground and DayZRP remain credible. 

I guess what I'm asking is, what's you guys' opinions on the current popularity of the game?

I'd say wait a teeny bit longer for .63 to come to Stable/Experimental, then take a look at that. Right now I just don't see coming back worth it. I love DayZ, but can't stand playing it until something new comes.

every game has a finite period when it holds your interest more than other games, and over time that interest wears off.   I'm realizing that the downside of early access is that my interest in a game can wear off before it even hits beta.  I'm starting to feel like early access is cheating me of enjoying the future finished game fully, because by the time it's finished it'll be like a re-release of a game I liked years ago.

maybe game developers shouldn't offer early access until beta.  just a thought.

that said, I will be checking out .63.  maybe it'll grab my attention again.

Edited by Red_Ensign
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Red_Ensign said:

every game has a finite period when it holds your interest more than other games, and over time that interest wears off.   I'm realizing that the downside of early access is that my interest in a game can wear off before it even hits beta.  I'm starting to feel like early access is cheating me of enjoying the future finished game fully, because by the time it's finished it'll be like a re-release of a game I liked years ago.

My thoughts exactly.

10 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

Yes !! I've thought this for a long time and i think alot of people could relate. I always told myself dont pay to much attention to dayz sa but it was pretty hard not too. For the most part however alot of what has been placed in the game are ideas i have always wanted to see but alot of the original "excitement" isnt there anymore. I shall call it the "early access curse"

21 hours ago, Red_Ensign said:

The problem with a lot of these "open world" early access sandbox games is that they start with an interesting idea, but you have no idea what the finished game will be, if anything at all.  The Mod started off as this brilliant, if crude, concept of a brutal open world zombie survival game.  Similar in tone and style to The Walking Dead, The Road or 28 Days Later.  Survival times for new players was like 15 minutes on average until you could figure out how not to be immediately killed by zombies or player bandit gangs before you found your first backpack.  Only THEN would you actually have to think about where to get food, weap;ons, etc.  We thought the Stand Alone would just be a polished up version of that.  Four years and many interface and engine overhauls later, we have a big nerfed down walking simulator on a very pretty but largely empty giant wilderness map.  Zombies don't work.  The loot economy is broken.  But we have this new engine that dramatically simulates leaves gently landing on a pond.

I'll check out .63 when and if it's ever released.  But I'm skeptical that it won't just be more of the same. 

Id wait until we get a concrete exp updates, the devs appear to be pretty far behind the status update of 2 weeks. You would be playing the old dayz.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:56 AM, Red_Ensign said:

I've actually expressed this thought several times here. There are really no positives to releasing a game in early access. Developers do not benefit from releasing early. The general idea in the beginning was that the feedback from players would be beneficial. This is not true. It has not been beneficial. The players have not helped the process of DayZ's development at any point. Players do not benefit from playing games in early access either, firstly because what they are playing is unfinished, but lastly, and most importantly really, is the point you've made. Even if all the promises are fulfilled, people just don't care anymore. They've all already had the same basic experience. Sure it's been a watered down experience, but it still essentially the same. DayZ stands as a testament to why games should never release in early access. There are no up sides to it at all. There never were any upsides for anybody at any point. The early access of DayZ has left a wake of shame and self-destruction for everyone involved, players and developers alike. 

With all that being said, I think the developers have been putting in an enormous effort to set things right. We will see in the next few weeks if it has paid off. DayZ is the only game trying to be my dream game, so I will always be rooting for it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Solopopo said:

I've actually expressed this thought several times here. There are really no positives to releasing a game in early access. Developers do not benefit from releasing early. The general idea in the beginning was that the feedback from players would be beneficial. This is not true. It has not been beneficial. The players have not helped the process of DayZ's development at any point. Players do not benefit from playing games in early access either, firstly because what they are playing is unfinished, but lastly, and most importantly really, is the point you've made. Even if all the promises are fulfilled, people just don't care anymore. They've all already had the same basic experience. Sure it's been a watered down experience, but it still essentially the same. DayZ stands as a testament to why games should never release in early access. There are no up sides to it at all. There never were any upsides for anybody at any point. The early access of DayZ has left a wake of shame and self-destruction for everyone involved, players and developers alike. 

With all that being said, I think the developers have been putting in an enormous effort to set things right. We will see in the next few weeks if it has paid off. DayZ is the only game trying to be my dream game, so I will always be rooting for it. 

I lol'd! 

What a bunch of opinion laden conjecture.

Sorry, I must've missed this 'wake of shame and self destruction' that you claim I've experienced.

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

I lol'd! 

What a bunch of opinion laden conjecture.

Sorry, I must've missed this 'wake of shame and self destruction' that you claim I've experienced.

Maybe so, but not everyone is so lucky. DayZ has been, up until now, a lie. There really isn't any other way to say it without distorting the truth. Far and wide that is the general consensus, unfortunately.  Buying into a lie is foolish, especially when you've put nearly 1000 hours into that lie, ergo, shame. 

For example, I like what DayZ has the potential to be so much that I am willing to put up with absurd amounts of crap for it. At what point is it just foolish to continue believing in DayZ? For the majority of people, that point was two years ago. People that persisted beyond that, such as myself, well, let's just say I'm not proud of being a fan of DayZ at the moment, and that's just the honest truth. 

Edited by Solopopo

It is more like DayZ has to come back to us, than we to DayZ. Simple as that. 

The drop down of popularity of this game is very logical, because game was almost on purpose balanced to be as uninteresting as it can possibly be. My argument to that is that player interactions got very rare, game became really asocial. Loot economy is really bad, and it has a ton of effect to gameplay. This is almost as designed. Delays and long lasting development is not promising at all. 

Edited by Mantasisg
  • Beans 1

10 hours ago, Solopopo said:

Maybe so, but not everyone is so lucky. DayZ has been, up until now, a lie. There really isn't any other way to say it without distorting the truth. Far and wide that is the general consensus, unfortunately.  Buying into a lie is foolish, especially when you've put nearly 1000 hours into that lie, ergo, shame. 

For example, I like what DayZ has the potential to be so much that I am willing to put up with absurd amounts of crap for it. At what point is it just foolish to continue believing in DayZ? For the majority of people, that point was two years ago. People that persisted beyond that, such as myself, well, let's just say I'm not proud of being a fan of DayZ at the moment, and that's just the honest truth. 

What on earth are you talking about?  What is this lie?  There is no lie.  You're just making a bunch of general statements based on your opinion. 

General consensus huh?  Where are you getting your numbers?  Provide a link to this consensus you speak of.

Foolish according to who? According to what?  Again, this vague 'lie' thing you blather on about, providing no evidence or anything.  The only 'lie' that I see is where you state 'far and wide', 'general consensus', 'majority of people',  'absurd amounts of crap'.    All relative, all meaningless.  Please provide any sort of logic and not just how you feel bad and are frustrated.  

It's like you believe the devs are trying to troll us and only occasionally work at their job when they feel like it, or something like that.   Do you think these developers, who are working for a legitimate business, aren't just normal people who are trying to be honest and work hard to create a product and do what they've been hired to do?

I'm sorry to hear you think this is an unreasonable amount of time.  It's not.  You realize these other games that just take an already existing engine, and throw content on top of it, have much less work to do in order to get to a finished state.  In fact, many of these games like PUBG, Arc, H1Z1, etc. use an already existing engine (the unreal engine took well over a decade to develop to its current state) so development appears to be far less time consuming.

You've made a ton of broad assumptions, claiming 'everyone' is upset but you really aren't in touch with the entire gaming community.  Please stop providing sweeping arguments with made up nonsense, based on how you feel about your current situation.

DayZ's creators have told you not to play it and that it will suck for some time.  You agree to this every time you launch the simulator.  Maybe you should take a break.  Maybe you should wait until the Enfusion engine is adopted by many other titles and then play them, when they're ready.

• Beans 1

On 4/11/2018 at 9:10 AM, Parazight said:

What on earth are you talking about?  What is this lie?  There is no lie.  You're just making a bunch of general statements based on your opinion. 

General consensus huh?  Where are you getting your numbers?  Provide a link to this consensus you speak of.

Foolish according to who? According to what?  Again, this vague 'lie' thing you blather on about, providing no evidence or anything.  The only 'lie' that I see is where you state 'far and wide', 'general consensus', 'majority of people',  'absurd amounts of crap'.    All relative, all meaningless.  Please provide any sort of logic and not just how you feel bad and are frustrated.  

It's like you believe the devs are trying to troll us and only occasionally work at their job when they feel like it, or something like that.   Do you think these developers, who are working for a legitimate business, aren't just normal people who are trying to be honest and work hard to create a product and do what they've been hired to do?

I'm sorry to hear you think this is an unreasonable amount of time.  It's not.  You realize these other games that just take an already existing engine, and throw content on top of it, have much less work to do in order to get to a finished state.  In fact, many of these games like PUBG, Arc, H1Z1, etc. use an already existing engine (the unreal engine took well over a decade to develop to its current state) so development appears to be far less time consuming.

You've made a ton of broad assumptions, claiming 'everyone' is upset but you really aren't in touch with the entire gaming community.  Please stop providing sweeping arguments with made up nonsense, based on how you feel about your current situation.

DayZ's creators have told you not to play it and that it will suck for some time.  You agree to this every time you launch the simulator.  Maybe you should take a break.  Maybe you should wait until the Enfusion engine is adopted by many other titles and then play them, when they're ready.

He does have a right to an opinion you know. Provide a poll and space out those feelings to others, and how others feel or felt about dayz. We have enough negative steam reviews. What more numbers would say the exact same things.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, sneakydude said:

He does have a right to an opinion you know. Provide a poll and space out those feelings to others, and how others feel or felt about dayz. We have enough negative steam reviews. What more numbers would say the exact same things.

Big difference between an opinion and outright lying and slander.  And steam reviews?  Please?  Reviewing an unfinished game is the stupidest thing people could do besides eating tide pods.

As to the Op's question, I'd wait until beta at least.  Check it out, if you like it, cool.  If not, keep waiting.

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, therandomredstone said:

Well thanks guys for your responses. All I have to really say right about now is

(Billy Idol song - white wedding)

No idea how you're trying to position by linking a Billy Idol song.  I'm totally baffled.  Idol has stated in interviews that the song is about a guy seeing a girl he was once in a relationship with marry someone else. He's still deeply in love with her, but she's not.  How this relates to DayZ alpha popularity is mind boggling.

This thread, every post in it, (including mine) is totally irrelevant.  The question of popularity regarding DayZ (alpha) is a bad question.  You enjoy DayZ and what it potentially brings to the table of online gaming or you wouldn't be here.  The popularity of DayZ will naturally change when .63 hits stable because of hype and progress, regardless.  It's a huge change and players following the cutting edge of FPS MMOs will naturally want to check it out.  And you should!

To answer the OP's original question;  my opinion is that the current popularity is waning in anticipation of the huge changes just around the corner.  The popularity will change drastically soon, so who really cares about the popularity of the current, but soon archaic system?  The devs don't.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

8 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Big difference between an opinion and outright lying and slander.  And steam reviews?  Please?  Reviewing an unfinished game is the stupidest thing people could do besides eating tide pods.

As to the Op's question, I'd wait until beta at least.  Check it out, if you like it, cool.  If not, keep waiting.

Still has a right to his opinion right or wrong, dont like it dont respond. Ignore him if it bothers you so much. Don't defend the engine either, its being used in many other games they make not just dayz. Not all points made are completely incorrect.

April 16th still got 11 things to go, weeks not months remember that fact?

• Beans 1

On 06/04/2018 at 2:56 PM, Red_Ensign said:

Since December 2013 (I think that's when I bought it) I've logged about 350 hours, pretty much for the exact reason stated above. I don't want to burn myself out. I've not played for many months now, and I'm very unlikely to play again until 0.63. Last I played DayZ Underground was still going strong. If you fancy a bit of DayZ, it couldn't hurt to play for a few hours - even if only to see the difference between 0.62 and 0.63 when it does finally release.

Early Access is deeply flawed, but then DayZ was among the first EA games (not to be confused with EA Games.) There was a seminar they did a while back about what they've learned from Early Access. I think it's something that can be good, in theory, but becomes a bit of a mess in practice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

Since December 2013 (I think that's when I bought it) I've logged about 350 hours, pretty much for the exact reason stated above. I don't want to burn myself out. I've not played for many months now, and I'm very unlikely to play again until 0.63. Last I played DayZ Underground was still going strong. If you fancy a bit of DayZ, it couldn't hurt to play for a few hours - even if only to see the difference between 0.62 and 0.63 when it does finally release.

Early Access is deeply flawed, but then DayZ was among the first EA games (not to be confused with EA Games.) There was a seminar they did a while back about what they've learned from Early Access. I think it's something that can be good, in theory, but becomes a bit of a mess in practice.

yeah I wish I'd known.  this was my first early access game.  I've played something like 4,000 hours and I'm kinda over it already, and we aren't even in beta. :-/

On 4/17/2018 at 5:43 PM, Red_Ensign said:

yeah I wish I'd known.  this was my first early access game.  I've played something like 4,000 hours and I'm kinda over it already, and we aren't even in beta. :-/

May be wrong but wasn't DayZ the first (if not exactly the first, then surely the most popular) early access game back then? Using DayZ as an excuse is now my reasoning to never fall into that EA trap ever again in gaming. Now, unless an EA title is at least polished enough to enjoy and spend time playing and reporting any issues then I don't see it being a problem.. but honestly the way DayZ has gone about it, well.. I've just not been a fan at all.

Man, I had many RL friends and work colleagues back in the early days (who I played with in the mod too) who were also excited like me and played standalone for a few months, sadly they caught the Hall-Hicks virus and jumped ship years ago.. all these years later they actually take the piss out of me for still waiting. It's gotten that bad, I would feel embarrassed to even mention the game at work anymore, now all they wanna talk about is that bloody Fortnite.