Sign in to follow this  
Rekurv

Use of Masks

Was just curious what the gas masks and protective face masks were intended for. I'm guessing they are a WIP for some sort of airborne threat but specifically does anyone know what exactly? Was it just for gas grenades or some kind of biological weapon? Radiation? Airborne zombie gas?

Also, (besides grenades) were there any ideas on where these patches of bad air would be? ie. Stagnant areas around military bases? Personally I'd love to see them as a dynamic weather similar to rain, indoors (with doors closed) would protect you...however, masks would allow you to move through these areas for varying amounts of time. eg. 1 filter on a military mask would last 20 mins at pristine, 15 at worn etc....Bandanas last maybe 1 or 2 minutes at pristine...

Anyways, keen to see a mask mechanic of some kind somewhere down they line. The art work on them is awesome..

i guess it will most likely some kind be area contamination with biological hazards.

at least that's what i think they have said in the past.

maybe you can dig a bit in official posts and find the answers.

Chris Torchia:

Its been a while but I hope you will agree it has been worth the wait. Here's something people have wanted to see for a while - an NBC suit inspired by the old East German NVA NBC suit. Perfect for survivors wanting to scavenge in contaminated areas.

GP5_wip.jpg

NBCSuit_01.jpg

%5E9471120F15BBDC36C16D6ECF10AD10536E3A8

sht01.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HaseDesTodes said:

i guess it will most likely some kind be area contamination with biological hazards.

at least that's what i think they have said in the past.

maybe you can dig a bit in official posts and find the answers.

GP5_wip.jpg

NBCSuit_01.jpg

%5E9471120F15BBDC36C16D6ECF10AD10536E3A8

sht01.jpg

Good idea, only thing with this is how to make this into a game mechanic..

My concept with the pics shown?

Chernarus had x million people... a boatload fled towards other countries before outbreak..

Other people either:

-  died/turned
- got shot/killed
- survived

So for this mechanic with all the pic involved to work..
You should have heaps like these people near the mil bases (rioters trying to get in bit the bullet for not complying with mil. personel

These emit vapor or gas which slowly kills you *lowers blood 1 per x seconds exposed*
so a silent killer of sorts...

These areas are either barred off with barbwire/concrete blocks next to mil basis or on the outskirts of major cities
other parts have these yellow tents.. areas where scientists tried to understand the situation by examination of deceased civil or mil. personal.

These places.. are key for finding the full suits/gas masks that are required to safely travel through these areas..
heart of the outbreak (on some RP servers) would possibly be tisy mil base.
but when modding becomes available.. these heaps can be created all over the map creating danger zones on routes too key places like tisy mil base or other high traffic/high loot areas like NWA

mind you people.. this is just a brain spin.. but i'm sure people will eventually figure this out if the devs won't make this mechanic available..
but should be, since the bleeding mechanic is already in it could be made the same way as 'bleeding'

but maybe with timed coughing (like kuru is made from laughing and being twitchy)
so if you start coughing its a sign you're infected.. find antibiotics asap to sustain yourself
until it wears off after several IRL hours.

all these mechanics make for a better and more immersive experience in the game.. plus is makes people aware of the dangers near high loot places.
Not only do you need to be aware of other players/hords but also the dead heaps of people that make you sick..
should make you think MORE then twice about 'sprinting' for that mil gear plus double 60 clip with the M4 full mods and 10.000.000 bullets
thus making a dayz a slower paced but more immersive game instead of a smash and grab for pubg kiddies

regards survivors,

Nick Stackhouse

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

nickstackhouse very good point! I would have also suggested these ideas.

I hope the devs will implement snow and radioation at tisy or somewhere, that would be very awesome!

Best wishes Raptor.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

4 minutes ago, nickstackhouse said:

These emit vapor or gas which slowly kills you *lowers blood 1 per x seconds exposed*
so a silent killer of sorts...

I suspect they'd probably go the disease route rather than the toxic cloud route. Without proper protective gear the player is more likely to catch a debilitating disease, necessitating the procurement of the appropriate equipment if one wants to explore these contaminated zones. I would assume that a full NBC suit would cut the risk to 0% (provided no piece is ruined) and a partial suit, or just a gasmask, or a face mask and gloves, or whatever would yield varying amounts of protection.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

I suspect they'd probably go the disease route rather than the toxic cloud route. Without proper protective gear the player is more likely to catch a debilitating disease, necessitating the procurement of the appropriate equipment if one wants to explore these contaminated zones. I would assume that a full NBC suit would cut the risk to 0% (provided no piece is ruined) and a partial suit, or just a gasmask, or a face mask and gloves, or whatever would yield varying amounts of protection.

thats true, but thats about what i explained.. I quote:

'You should have heaps like these people near the mil bases (rioters trying to get in bit the bullet for not complying with mil. personel

so a silent killer of sorts...'

their bodies decompose thus creating gas which is contaminated with said 'virus/disease'

but yes you're right full suit you're fine
half suit you get 25% exposure
mask you get 50% exposure
nothing you get 100% exposure

killing you if you hang around it for 10-15 min to 'scope out for loot'
making you very very sick taking several IRL hours to get back on your feet with help

- meds
- tons of food
- gallons fo water
just like Cholera and other ingame deceases but worse since this is a infectious decease carried by the dead

so Cholera takes you like 8-12 hours IRL of game time (what i've seen on RP servers)
and this takes you a day (if you stay well stocked with meds/food/water and have friends on standby

should get people working together and think three times before they venture up north 'for shit and giggles'

Edited by nickstackhouse
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HaseDesTodes said:

GP5_wip.jpg

NBCSuit_01.jpg

Couple more images:

outsource-2-us-biohazard-0.jpg?150063621
outsource-2-us-biohazard-1.jpg?150063622

• Like 1

In the mod a person's name used to appear above their character.  Now the problem with this mechanic was that it was visible for hundreds of meters, even if the person was hidden.  But I wouldn't mind having it in the Standalone at a range of like 10 meters.  Wearing a facemask, bandana, balaclava, helmet or other concealment would disable this. 

• Like 1

Hello Rekurv, Good question. I realy dont think the devs have touched on this since the announcment of gas masks. I'm sure they intended for them to have a purpose but its definetly been back seated for some time now and same with any kind of visual change for first person view with any of the head gear. Hats, glasses, helmets and especially the motor bike helmet (which i have always thought should muffle your hearing somewhat) and the glasses, hats etc reducing glare from the sun.

bfisher, The name tags, that was only on the "regular servers" the hardcore servers had no name tags which is the way the game was intended. I can see the appeal of having your pals name appear close with in 10 meters, handy ? sure is, however if u actually need name tags in dayz well I dare say those peeps are playing the wrong game ^_^ (tho it would total stop the age old occurence of your freind changing clothing and not mentioning anything and you think hes someone else and shoot at him) <-- this just comes down to better communication.

On 4/8/2018 at 6:51 AM, bfisher said:

In the mod a person's name used to appear above their character.  Now the problem with this mechanic was that it was visible for hundreds of meters, even if the person was hidden.  But I wouldn't mind having it in the Standalone at a range of like 10 meters.  Wearing a facemask, bandana, balaclava, helmet or other concealment would disable this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

bfisher, The name tags, that was only on the "regular servers" the hardcore servers had no name tags which is the way the game was intended.

- snip -

<-- this just comes down to better communication.

I assuming you are talking about ingame voice communication? Which is the way the game was intended.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, benedictus said:

I assuming you are talking about ingame voice communication? Which is the way the game was intended.

Communication. Interpret that to any and extent you want. Simple.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

Communication. Interpret that to any and extent you want. Simple.

Just checking since we were talking about "HC" gameplay.