philbur

A bit of food for thought about releasing a game before "it's ready"

An interesting perspective from a long-time DayZ Mod YouTube content creator...

JackFrags has been a great source for videos from the Mod days and a bit of the early SA builds. (no thanks in large part because he usually teams up with FrankieOnPC).

Here he talks about mostly more recent games (with a healthy amount of DLC garbage), but his point about devs releasing a game "too early" to meet release dates is a good one.

While you are on his site you should take in a few of the "old" videos to remind yourselves just how far we have come in the SA....

Cheers!

True true true, however it also takes devs to listen to what the community wants.

Banana in a holster?

If referring to Dayz, modding will take care of what is lacking. Given that the devs do not break the base engine to cause grief between great modders and the devs.

That video gave me dyslexia.. talking talking... saying nothing, couldn't make it past half as I have started to hear a single hummmrumbumsumbumbubm lol and see that weirdo game footage.

Obviously content matters little if gameplay just is not crafted well, and too much content also can unbalance the game.... 

People who are drooling over the "moar gunz", or "bigger map would be kool" always makes me sad... So many people doesn't realise what factors actually improves their game, and what are the opposite.

For example bigger map - it means more running, less interactions, less dense population. And more guns means more different magazines and bullet types as well, this means less chances to find matching gun+magazine+bullets combination. 

Thats because people does bad at maths.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

That video gave me dyslexia.. talking talking... saying nothing, couldn't make it past half as I have started to hear a single hummmrumbumsumbumbubm lol and see that weirdo game footage.

Obviously content matters little if gameplay just is not crafted well, and too much content also can unbalance the game.... 

People who are drooling over the "moar gunz", or "bigger map would be kool" always makes me sad... So many people doesn't realise what factors actually improves their game, and what are the opposite.

For example bigger map - it means more running, less interactions, less dense population. And more guns means more different magazines and bullet types as well, this means less chances to find matching gun+magazine+bullets combination. 

I am not sure you will ever get the game you seem to want out of DayZ standalone . Constant interactions are not likely (or as likely) as they were in the mod . 30 players in the mod would see more action than 100 players in the standalone. The small amount of loot locations in the mod funneled people together , where what we have now has so many paths that can be taken ( heck 10 people in cherno could loot without ever seeing the other , in the mod 2 people in cherno would likely meet.

I doubt too, as it seems like game lost path long time ago. No one even talks about gameplay 50percents of words in this forum should be "gameplay". True about amount of loot locations. 

the amount of loot is not crucial. If the mechanics offers some POI 's places, so much can arise.

For example, a report mentioned that the sawmills will have a function. So if you need a sawmill to make logs from trunks, these places will become important key points. This in every way to the gameplay.

Such places make the high number of loot places as no matter, as long as there are a few special places that bring "play mechanic" benefits. (A military base does not provide a "mechanical advantage" as it is "only" a loot place).

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎03 at 10:41 AM, Mantasisg said:

Just a bit more context...

JackFrags is one of those Youtubers that gets invited to preview upcoming games...he has early access to Betas, and publishers send him game keys and swag to give away on his channel.

Suffice to say... If guys like Jackfrags, Frankie, Septicfalcon, and numerous others decide to start streaming DayZ in it's new incarnation it will go a long way towards making this game a long-lasting and extensively populated MOG. It will also help to dispel a lot of the ill-feelings of a number of folks who have given up on it and I feel a lot of those individuals were pretty passionate about the Standalone back when Rocket announced it...and our experiences in Chenarus would be the better with them than without.

The reason I posted this link was to share with all of you his feelings about how the decisions behind a game title's final state have a lot to do with ideas like monetizing DLCs and follow up expansions, as well as the trend towards half-polished "GAMEPLAY" because timelines demand the game get launched by a certain date regardless of its stability or missing features. This speaks volumes to me in relation to DayZ SA, as the primary reason for my continued faith that the game will indeed be as great as was originally promised (albeit slightly different).

I sincerely hope that the dev team can justify their time over the last couple of years by giving us an experience that measures up to the highest of our expectations. While I fully expect a few features that I, personally, really wanted to make it into the final game will not be there...I can at least call upon opinions such as the ones in Jack's video as a reminder that regardless of what WE wanted, and WHEN we wanted it...the dev team or BI execs decided to stay the course and do it THEIR way and ultimately this will result in a better game for all of us, whether we currently think so or not.

BTW... Youtubers will sometimes just throw up some gameplay footage when they want to VLOG about something, so the footage was not the reason I posted it...and besides...that was only Battlefield 1 gameplay...an obscure game from a fringe company called DICE...and is the latest installment in their marginally successful series of online shooters... ;-)

Streamers won't make anything successful and lasting. They might add success that more people will try it, but if they will keep on at it doesn't depend on that marketing thing at all. DayZ had the thing which was naturally keeping people in, much like counterstrike mentioned by JF, it just worked despite bugs and things people complain about. Well it stopped doing its magic and without it even fixing/adding bits and pieces that people complained about won't help. I stopped watching SepticFalcon, because he doesn't say anything real. Poor Wobo said some real things, and obviously got disconnected from the crooked system for that. I really hope that Wobo is doing alright, bless him. 

When we talk about gameplay in DayZ, the majority of gaming industry is totally irrelevant. First of all, they needs to produce quickly consumed games which are based on first impressions, and won't last longer than needed. Second, DayZ is completely unique concept, only good indie devs can make work without being affected too much by super smart managers of big studios. I think we can safely claim that THAT MAGIC of DayZ was its eventfulness and spectrum of interactions which was directly related and then dealing with consequences (surviving). At the moment it is uneventful and lacking interactions, nothing to induce the second stage of gameplay - dealing with consequences. 

You can talk and talk it is all air, if you talk then say something that matters. 

After this long, you think they're gonna release it early??

I'm sure Bohemia Interactive will consider marketing more than some youtuber with an edit button.