Mantasisg

Despawning of player dead bodies

Hello, mentioning of server load test incoming in status report made me think of good things which has gone down in the past for sake of performance. Such as a lot shorter dead bodies despawning times, or having a sound and vision around you when you were unconscious (were useful if you were so especially for a long time), dense distribution of players (coast). IMO that was really pricey thing to gain performance, anyone who has played in earlier versions of standalone such as ~0.55-56 should remember how striking it used to be to find body of a player. In my totally first time playing SA in 0.54 I ran into a completely fully geared guys corpse in the ship wreck near berezino, too bad just as I took his M4 his equally geared friend appeared.. couldn't do much with 14fps at the time lol

I don't remember exact time when despawning times became shorter, but I think it had bad impact for gameplay. Finding some dead player used to be such a special thing to happen. Depending on luck it could have been greater than heli crash. I know that some of you, realism freaks, gameplay - not-lovers, would say that it was off that you could respawn somewhere as near as possible and run to reloot yourself. And I think it wasn't terrible thing, at least you had a real goal and race with a time and luck for it, also probably helped to maintain action for longer, as corpse was still an important object with its loot, or without loot still a great sign of danger. 

• Beans 1

I hope dead bodies stay longer in 0.63. I agree that it would be a lot fun to find other dead bodies that you could loot from players.

Yes, and looting them is only a small bit. They are probably going to be looted anyway... But the fact that you find them, that you know that something is going in the place. IIRIC dead bodies used to despawn in a hour maybe ? That was kool. And how much now ?

I mean performance is great, but come-on... stripping out awesome stuff for it, maybe some other solution is possible. 

If someone would ask if I would choose 2h server restarts or hour lasting player dead bodies, then I would choose the later. 

Edited by Mantasisg

Yes, I will never forget the days of the over the top 'flies buzzing' sound. As soon as it kicked in you got a rush of adrenaline almost to the same effect of meeting another player, only this time they were dead. For how long tho ? who knows. Are they a fresh body ? is someone still close by ? alot of little scary factors came into play hearing that fly buzz sound (that was actually a bit to loud also).

I think we would all love the dead player bodies to stay untill a restart, perhaps one day ^_^

• Beans 1

The despawn time for bodies is intended to be much longer. The devs have talked about their ideas for decaying bodies, visible causes of death, blood puddles from bleeding, transferrable diseases, etc. 

That's right, in a SR it was talked about. It should also give the possibility of "hide body", but not as we know it. It was mentioned that the dead body can be buried. The meaning behind it is logical with the danger of illness, because a dead body in your base can become a danger to yourself and others. (It was also suggested that it makes sense to "sanitize / cleanse" objects from the dead .... because Loot could kill you).