Mantasisg

0.63 Stress tests

From the status report:

"Our main goal with stress tests is to test server load and see the number of players we can handle on one server. These stress test can both happen very often, or there might be some delay between them. We will be auto collecting logs and servers crashes for further analysis, as well as profiling the server performance. A big chunk of the work will go into making sure we get lots of data to sort through and evaluate." 

What do you think guys, what server load can be possibly expected, and will it be what it will be for 1.0 ? 

I  find it finally something interesting in years, finally something what seems to have a connection with gameplay. But this also seems rather worrying as it is not mentioned at all what is expected. However, seeing how much better performance + graphics became with 0.6, I have some real hopes that something similar can happen with server population and performance. But I really don't know what to expect, I suppose devs doesn't know that too, because if they would, then why would public stress tests be needed at all. I wonder if long time ago targeted 100+ players in server is going to happen, or it will remain the "good" old 50-60 players on foot inlands and camping in bushes for each other in 14x14km area. 

I also wonder if decent server population will finally happen, would it be outweighted by some terrible gameplay decision like, for example, it happened after 0.6 - wiped out coastal areas + sad sad loot ecconomy = no interactions. I suppose if servers would be able to perform with 100+players, then loot economy inevitably should be more like it was used to be. And balanced with increased players number (assuming that it will increase, which probably wont't, hopefully won't get reduced). 

I really hope things will go well to developers - and eventually for players. 

On 3/29/2018 at 11:37 AM, Mantasisg said:

What do you think guys, what server load can be possibly expected, and will it be what it will be for 1.0 ? 

I think 300-500 players would be great, but i believe 120~ will be guaranteed. Actually who knows, since they made it Server side maybe we will see even 1000, considering in old times old engines such as Unreal Engine 2.5 managed to hold like 10000 players per server also on pretty low-end hardware ( in this case Lineage 2 ) so i think its totally possible to see massive player count per server but it will depend on server hardware, the better it is the more players i think.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:37 AM, Mantasisg said:

would it be outweighted by some terrible gameplay decision like, for example, it happened after 0.6 - wiped out coastal areas + sad sad loot ecconomy = no interactions.

I think the loot system will be changed and should be maybe more dynamic ? e.g. Spawn for example near players in specific radius and based on how much players there is ( except for cars ). So everyone should have enough loot and the loot should get better going inland.

Also i hope they will increase the despawn time from killed players, dropped items quite alot e.g. from 20mins or so to few hours.

Edited by exacomvm

I think you are underestimating DayZ and overestimating Curveage2. 

First of all 1000 players would be too much, second it would be almost all DayZ players in one server (sadly), third with complexity of physics and all functions that DayZ counts per player sends to server and from server to other players, and from other players to you so everything is in sync and functioning properly is insane. In wildest fantasy I would dream for 200 players per 14x14km which Chernarus is, I would be extremely happy if it would jump over 100 and would work well.

Loot economy is very important yes, at some point it used to be very good. I really dislike (almost hate) to be in a server where nearly all loot locations are empty. Geared people are hibernating in bushes or even in empty servers - once I was one for few days, I understood what zombie is then. 

Time is really up. Regardless if 0.63 will be plenty of bugs or so.... please devs you can always make some good decisions for good gameplay. It was too long for now, you can unleash it again, I think. If it is possible. 

I think, I should lounch DayZ once more, perhaps it secretly became fun again. About a time as avg players almost dropping bellow 2k.

@exacomvm Real MMOs like Lineage 2 don't run on a similar server setup as DayZ servers. Nothing is guaranteed right now, but a general increase is likely, based on what we know about SQF, EnScript, and everything else related to the server performance improvements. But 300-1000 is way overly optimistic at this stage.

I don't recall any talk about loot being spawned in a radius around each player either. That's how the mod worked and it created some metagaming the devs want to eliminate. 

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 1

@exacomvm Real MMOs like Lineage 2 don't run on a similar server setup as DayZ servers. Nothing is guaranteed right now, but a general increase is likely, based on what we know about SQF, EnScript, and everything else related to the server performance improvements. But 300-1000 is way overly optimistic at this stage.

I don't recall any talk about loot being spawned in a radius around each player either. That's how the mod worked and it created some metagaming the devs want to eliminate. 

You can use Spatial OS ? 

Edited by Tarek_lb

15 minutes ago, Tarek_lb said:

You can use Spatial OS ? 

Can and should and will are all different things.

Not only would the devs have to yet again rework their architecture and throw away previous work up to now, which they really can't afford to do and while SpatialOS might allow for big player counts, people can no longer host their own servers. (How are they going to react to their servers being taken away permanently?) SpatialOS games don't seem to really support modding either, so that's one of the core pillars of DayZ out of the window.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

I feel like the devs have said 100+ should be the goal.

I think anything over 200 might be too many....

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
*From a game play perspective.
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

I think that 100 players is  a nice amount in which there is a good balance in finding players and having those moments of calm.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, amadieus said:

I think that 100 players is  a nice amount in which there is a good balance in finding players and having those moments of calm.

Agreed, I am sticking to 100 as a max for a map this size.
I am sure there will be unofficials pushing that limit, but its not always a case of the more, the better.

I agree, 100 probably would be a sweetspot. Though I would perhaps say that it could even go up to 150 (if system could handle) before player encounters in game would begin to feel less and less meaningful, and hiding in safety more and more difficult till it would be impossible. Depends on map size, type and possibilities of travel.

Another solution could be smaller map. How big is Namalsk ? :D

I would believe that current DayZ (would just need lively coasts, like back in the day) could work well with ~120 players in map. Roughly half could be slowpacing with more hardcore stuff in inlands, and the rest could be fastpacing around the coasts and everyone would be happy. 

I really hoped at least a bit of love towards the gameplay by now, for example in dev stream, but it is all tech and tech, all functions and nothing about making the whole thing really work together again.... Feels bad. Higher player count would be a bit of sunshine. 

Edited by Mantasisg

I do believe size was brought up in the inteviews with Sumrak.

I don't have a time stamp, since I am a bit short on time, but tldr; its smaller than the current map.

It's a nice interview though so worth a watch.

Chernarus vs Namalsk.

m0Lv6bB.jpg

And here Namalsk alone (15x15 km size with sea.  The size of landmass im not found.

namalsk_2560x2560px.jpg

Edited by Sqeezorz
  • Beans 1

15 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

But 300-1000 is way overly optimistic at this stage.

Maybe, but it's totally possible.

Anyway 120-200 would be sweet spot imo, because sometimes i cant find any players for hours even running in military bases on full 60player servers.
On average in Full 60player server i find maybe like 1-3 players in few hours running through military routes.

Edited by exacomvm

Kool, Namalsk looks like it is 10 times smaller, I can image that pace is really fast there, more like PVP map I suppose. 

Very good, because DayZ really lacks a choice for more pace, this is really bad for those who are noobs in pvp (me). At the end I don't even like pvp, so I mostly try to make conversations. Wit ha faster pace game it would be very nice to develop skills in fights, which you just can't develop in current DayZ when you spend hours to loot, and meet very few persons in entire play session, or don't even meet anyone at all (often if you are unlucky and too busy to run around for two three hours, who would want to play such game ?).

Really looking forward to Namalsk. Namalsk and 100+ players probably would be something like CSDM in Counter Strike, I liked it haha

I love maps with loads of water, and islands. Oh tanoa was a good one for Arma 3... We even had ship mods too.. Heck ya, just no fishing..boats....

Hopefully 100 person servers are possible on relatively decent hardware. I really hope they optimized the network usage, because apparently it's ridiculously high in current servers.

I'm really wondering if they will take advantage of multi-core processing efficiently. If they do that then the only limit is the hardware.

I can't wait for the stress tests, and I also hope for 100 player servers. Anymore than 100 players, and it's gonna get chaotic & un-fun.

• Beans 1

more than 100 would be nice if it was possible.

But better less and a little reserve to have good performance with modding.

• Like 1

I`m fine with 100/100 on the main map, but they should spread out the spawn points all over the coast of the map and also west of Cherno when they increase the player amount per server, because that part of the map feels really empty now. And I`m not a big fan of all the permanent coastal fog, and fog should be part of the dynamic weather system. 

Edited by Nebulae3
  • Beans 1

25 minutes ago, Nebulae3 said:

And I`m not a big fan of all the permanent coastal fog, and fog should be part of the dynamic weather system. 

I agree with you. I often miss the beautiful free weather on the coast ... especially when the days are completely cloudless. In the interior of the map, there is the dense fog in the rain or after the rain ... it is really very authentic. The coast looks as it is now very desolate and over the entire time of day.

• Like 1

I wonder if we get a status report today along with some stress testing :)