Sign in to follow this  
Christian Young

Add sidechat

In my opinion the game is too hardcore at the moment, and maybe that is subject to change but I think not having side chat definitely hurts the game a lot. After all it is a social game and sometimes you just don't get the option to talk to people through VOIP because a lot of players will just kill you. If people don't like side chat then server owners should be given the option to disable it whenever they like.

Also it will let you know that you're not the only one left on the server as the player list has also been removed for whatever reason.

Please post your thoughts on this thread, I would like to see what some other people's opinions are.

Edited by Christian Young

You can access a side chat analogue by finding a radio and batteries. Perhaps they should be easier to find and the batteries longer lasting. I'm not in favour of the ARMA 2-style side chat.

The ability to talk to everyone, anywhere, at any time completely changes the feel of the game.

For the worse IMO.

QUL2ilo.png

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Too hardcore? What?  Please, no. 

For a game that tries to be authentic, adding a chat system like this would be a huge mistake.

Don't want to be killed on sight? Then don't put yourself in a position that will let that happen.

Leave that for the private/modded servers.

For the base game no thanks <insert long rant about annoying internet people>
Also Get off my lawn!!! :P

no chat for me

One of the major factors behind not having a side chat is to entice people to communicate with radios etc. Simple as that. I'm guessing perhaps you never played the original dayz ? well that side chat was obsoloutley heinous for a game of its type.. the continous blue texting with players dribble all over your screen really annoyed mee. I was soOo happy when I first launched the standalone to see it was no longer there! Thanks again devs ! :D

Ah, this old debate with the same people regurgitating the same tired arguments.

@OP: Someone will add a mod for sidechat. Don't worry. Not sure if it will make it into the main game because, as you can see, some people are very vocal about keeping vanilla DayZ as tedious as possible.

8 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

Ah, this old debate with the same people regurgitating the same tired arguments.

@OP: Someone will add a mod for sidechat. Don't worry. Not sure if it will make it into the main game because, as you can see, some people are very vocal about keeping vanilla DayZ as tedious as possible.

Uhhh, you may as well blame the devs with that statement.  They're the ones who are going to keep DayZ as "tedious" as possible *rolls eyes*  

Edited by Guy Smiley

8 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

This comment is the fucking bane of any discussion.

Suggestion A!

Counterargument A

*6 months later*

Suggestion A

Counterargument A

"StOp MaKing tHe saME TirED ArguMENts!1!!"

How about you explain why the arguments are wrong rather than complaining that the arguments have been made?

I'm not interested in a side chat. I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was added, but DayZ isn't exactly ruined without it, especially considering the presence of radios. I'm fully in favour of radios and batteries becoming more common, which seems like a good compromise, but I don't think players should spawn with one. It should be something that is earned, like all things in the game.

21 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Uhhh, you may as well blame the devs with that statement.  They're the ones who are going to keep DayZ as "tedious" as possible *rolls eyes*  

Might as well, right?

20 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

How about you explain why the arguments are wrong rather than complaining that the arguments have been made?

The arguments are not "wrong" per se. I just don't agree that the impact on core gameplay will be as dramatic as people are making it out to be.

One argument that I feel holds weight is that the devs wish to encourage the use of radios. Sidechat would make radios virtually obselete and they may as well be removed from the loot pool. One criticism of this argument is that radios aren't used anyway. Discord/TS is used for intra-team communications. Discord/forums are used for community chat.

Another argument that is not completely opinion-based is that sidechat will encourage KoS callouts. I find this odd as the same thing would happen if radios were actually useful (e.g. if batteryless radio recievers were added, batteries lasted longer in radios, etc.)

A global chat option on private servers requires minimal implementation effort and would provide a social option for those that wish to opt-in. The arguments against sidechat do not conflict with these facts, rather they are based on an ideal of DayZ authenticity that will only hold until modding is added. This, in my opionion, makes these arguments weak as the more restrictive the vanilla version of DayZ is, the less likely people will be to use it. In my opinion the vanilla game should attempt to enable multiple styles of gameplay through server-based options.

That's how I feel. I hope this is good enough for you to understand my perspective on all this.

58 minutes ago, scriptfactory said:

Another argument that is not completely opinion-based is that sidechat will encourage KoS callouts. I find this odd as the same thing would happen if radios were actually useful (e.g. if batteryless radio recievers were added, batteries lasted longer in radios, etc.)

Well it might be a bit tricky to use the radio if you're dead, or if you've just respawned. You might be able to make a KoS callout 10 or 20 minutes after respawning once you've picked up a radio, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, scriptfactory said:

One criticism of this argument is that radios aren't used anyway. Discord/TS is used for intra-team communications.

Don't people use Discord anyway? Whenever I join some Arma 3 mod I'm always instructed to join the Discord even though there's a perfectly good side chat. I sure hope we don't see the return of that boom box item that plays music, since we can stick on Spotify in the background. I sure hope no attempt to fix the gamma exploit is made, since we can just use third-party tools to tweak gamma as necessary.

The arguments against sidechat [literally anything in DayZ] do not conflict with these facts, rather they are based on an ideal of DayZ authenticity that will only hold until modding is added

But it isn't just authenticity, is it? As I said before, everything in DayZ is earned. This is why you don't start with a gun, or food or basic gear... but fuck it. Mods will mean players swill be able to start armed, so I guess the core game should do that too, or something. Even if the only argument against side chat is authenticity or realism... so what? Why should authenticity be abandoned in a game that touts authenticity as one of its core aspects? Adding something because mods are going to add it anyway makes zero sense to me.

That's how I feel. I hope this is good enough for you to understand my perspective on all this.

I'm glad you took the time to explain it.