Drake84pl

Icons Feedback

After watching the 0.63 stream an idea came to my head.

0.63 will introduce the "hold button" mechanic to perform a certain action and I would like to suggest a little change for the icons, for example when Baty tried to load the magazine they looked like this:

GphaY6Z.jpg

A square with the key F and the description of the action and a mouse icon with description and instruction to HOLD the button to perform it. So, why is there a HOLD instruction but not a PRESS for the first action? that's because people already know this from other games and sources that an icon like this represents a PRESS so there's no need to type it, why don't we do the same for the HOLD action, here is my suggestion:

aCfPOZV.jpg

I'm not an artist by any means so excuse my crappy icons, it's just to illustrate what I have in mind. First of all a better icon (in my opinion) that illustrates the Left Mouse Button, second - since a circle pops up when we hold a button when doing something, let's teach players that a circle means holding a button to perform an action. So, squares would  mean PRESS and circles HOLD. In the spirit of this idea, here are a few more examples:

Hoibbn3.jpg

Edit:

More polished and eyes friendly set of icons:

xVCar42.jpg

Also, another suggestion regarding the action icons, when Baty loaded that magazine, the circle popped up indicating that the action is being done and it's progress, but also a counter in the bottom left corner indicating the progress in numbers of bullets loaded, so why are we showing the progress with two indicators of the action in two places at once? where should we look? wouldn't it be better to just do it in one place, in the middle of the screen where we are looking at the object the action is being performed on, like this:

Wpq85SE.jpg

I've also added the "Loading" description to inform players what action they are doing, because  sometimes there might be two actions with two buttons and each one of them requires to hold it and a simple circle showing the progress of that action would just not be enough to inform players what action they are performing for example in the heat of a battle players could hold the wrong button and would not know it till they finish the action and see that they did something else, with a description they see what they are doing and can immediately cancel it. Other descriptions could be: Eating, Drinking, Crafting, Fishing, Applying, Injecting, Filling, Stitching, Cooking etc.

Any thoughts about those ideas?

Edited by Drake84pl
  • Beans 3

For me those in game are more... eyes friendly. But that just me! You did a great job with these as well buddy! :) 

Yeah, why not? I hope there'll be more interest and time for tweaking the UI design over the next beta period.

4 hours ago, Vernon_Price said:

For me those in game are more... eyes friendly. But that just me! You did a great job with these as well buddy! :) 

Tried to make them more eyes friendly ;)

xVCar42.jpg

• Beans 2

What I noticed a bit was the "up and down" of the status "arrows", especially if it changed over and over from "RISING to LOWER" ....

I would prefer this:

lVHQCTk.jpg

• Beans 1

I really like the idea of using simple shapes to represent actions.

But, I don't think it's as intuitive to put the "up" arrow for increasing stats below the icons.
I think it makes the changes less clear to read at a glance.

• Beans 1

I think these icons will get annoying over time once you get used to the controls ( besides it will be aid for spotting items ), i personally would like some highlight system when ure near item and option to disable the pop-ups/highlights. 

And im not talking about these lame looking wallhack highlights like in some games, but maybe more like that which appears when ure really close ( max ~2 meters ? ) showing that ure ready to perform an action or just quickly highlights it if you miss it or something.

My concept ( i think i've seen this in some game ): 

https://i.gyazo.com/f7945754f838649f0f070391aaa19a21.mp4

Edited by exacomvm

15 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

What I noticed a bit was the "up and down" of the status "arrows", especially if it changed over and over from "RISING to LOWER" ....

I would prefer this:

<image with arrows under the icons>

I understand what you mean, that it could get quite annoying when those arrows constantly move since your status constantly changes, but I personally didn't notice it during the live stream, maybe because the status icons are grey, semi transparent and positioned in the lower right corner so if you don't specifically look there you don't notice it. Also I have to agree with Dancing.Russian.Man that the original position of those arrows is more intuitive. The problem here is that no matter what we change in those status indicators they will always "dance" since our status always changes. Maybe if those arrows would fade in and out at a slower pace instead of instantly popping up it could be better. Another solution would be to just turn off the hud and check the status indicators in the inventory menu.

8 hours ago, exacomvm said:

I think these icons will get annoying over time once you get used to the controls ( besides it will be aid for spotting items ), i personally would like some highlight system when ure near item and option to disable the pop-ups/highlights. 

And im not talking about these lame looking wallhack highlights like in some games, but maybe more like that which appears when ure really close ( max ~2 meters ? ) showing that ure ready to perform an action or just quickly highlights it if you miss it or something.

My concept ( i think i've seen this in some game ): 

https://i.gyazo.com/f7945754f838649f0f070391aaa19a21.mp4

No offense but I personally think that when you would walk into a small room with items all around you flashing it would be more annoying than that one box that pops up whenever you look at an item ;) maybe instead of the highlight flashing it could be static and it would get brighter and more visible the more you look in the direction of the item, that I think would be better.

Edited by Drake84pl

2 hours ago, Drake84pl said:

walk into a small room with items all around you flashing it would be more annoying than that one box that pops up whenever you look at an item ;) 

That would be possible only if group of people placed tons of items in one place imo, when last time did you seen more than 2 items in "small" room? I doubt after .63 the loot will be "insane". also for situation like that i have mentioned that turning it off/on both for highlight or popup window would be great. However its totally fine how it is.

Edited by exacomvm

14 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

I really like the idea of using simple shapes to represent actions.

But, I don't think it's as intuitive to put the "up" arrow for increasing stats below the icons.
I think it makes the changes less clear to read at a glance.

that's right, the intuition and the eye-catching effect gets smaller.

In the case of the HUD we have in .62 these values all show in "written form". At 0.62 HUD, I usually only pay attention to the "Red Writings" because they tell me "Char to player brain -> emergency".

In principle, there are still "peanuts" what we discuss here ^ ^, because graphical changes to the HUD are in contrast to other functions "simple cosmetic corrections".

What if the status icons (for hunger, thirst etc) faded in when it was negatively effected and faded out when being positively effected. My logic is that you only care about things like food, hunger, being cold or having an injury when it is effecting you - we (generally) are not constantly monitoring our health and don't care when things are fine. Things might niggle at you (My throat feels a little parched) but unless it gets worse you can for the most part ignore this. 

If you have no status Icons on your screen you are doing fine. The thirst icon is barely visible, something is niggling at you. The icon fades in till it is flashing, you are desperately thirsty and can no longer ignore the fact.

This can address the issue of "up and down" arrows being in constant flux, and I feel would be generally more "realistic" and less invasive on the HUD. Just a suggestion, what do you think? 

Edited by The Ghost of Hoik
  • Beans 3

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Hoik said:

What if the status icons (for hunger, thirst etc) faded in when it was negatively effected and faded out when being positively effected. My logic is that you only care about things like food, hunger, being cold or having an injury when it is effecting you - we (generally) are not constantly monitoring our health and don't care when things are fine. Things might niggle at you (My throat feels a little parched) but unless it gets worse you can for the most part ignore this. 

If you have no status Icons on your screen you are doing fine. The thirst icon is barely visible, something is niggling at you. The icon fades in till it is flashing, you are desperately thirsty and can no longer ignore the fact.

This can address the issue of "up and down" arrows being in constant flux, and I feel would be generally more "realistic" and less invasive on the HUD. Just a suggestion, what do you think? 

I think you're on to something here. Current state the status icons in your inventory only show up when you're technically feeling something (being hungry, energized). I actually really like it only showing/fading in when its not close to equilibrium.

12 hours ago, The Ghost of Hoik said:

Good idea, the only problem I have with it is distinguishing between consecutive states, from what I can tell from the stream there are four of them - one white arrow, two white, three white, two white and one red. I think it would be rather hard to distinguish between them if it relied solely on different states of "fade in/out" = transparency. Maybe if we would add color to them similarly like we have it now it would be more noticeable, so it would be - no icons -> yellow icons -> orange -> red. Some might say that with adding color to them they would stand out more and thus be more distracting, but I have to admit that the current 0.63 solution with arrows is not alerting enough. When watching the stream, I wasn't paying attention to the status icons till one of them has gone red and by that time it might be already too late (in some situations) to come out of that state. What we have now (0.62 colored labels in the inventory) does a better job, so I think that adding color (without green, that one would be replaced by "no icon") to the 0.63 icons would be a better solution, and if it would be too distracting for some they could always just turn of the hud and check their status in the inventory (I know that there is no status indication in the inventory as of now in 0.63 as seen on the stream, but from what I remember the devs said it would be there at some point) OR even better, keep the current system with arrows for those that don't want to be distracted to much but want to monitor their state constantly but also add the "fade in color" option to the settings menu, so that we can change between them. I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it would be too much work to add a second display option like that, and by doing so we would gain some form of hud customization, and we all know how some of us like to fiddle with the hud ;)

20 hours ago, The Ghost of Hoik said:

7 hours ago, Drake84pl said:

Good idea, the only problem I have with it is distinguishing between consecutive states, from what I can tell from the stream there are four of them - one white arrow, two white, three white, two white and one red. I think it would be rather hard to distinguish between them if it relied solely on different states of "fade in/out" = transparency. Maybe if we would add color to them similarly like we have it now it would be more noticeable, so it would be - no icons -> yellow icons -> orange -> red. Some might say that with adding color to them they would stand out more and thus be more distracting, but I have to admit that the current 0.63 solution with arrows is not alerting enough. When watching the stream, I wasn't paying attention to the status icons till one of them has gone red and by that time it might be already too late (in some situations) to come out of that state. What we have now (0.62 colored labels in the inventory) does a better job, so I think that adding color (without green, that one would be replaced by "no icon") to the 0.63 icons would be a better solution, and if it would be too distracting for some they could always just turn of the hud and check their status in the inventory (I know that there is no status indication in the inventory as of now in 0.63 as seen on the stream, but from what I remember the devs said it would be there at some point) OR even better, keep the current system with arrows for those that don't want to be distracted to much but want to monitor their state constantly but also add the "fade in color" option to the settings menu, so that we can change between them. I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it would be too much work to add a second display option like that, and by doing so we would gain some form of hud customization, and we all know how some of us like to fiddle with the hud ;)

Yeah I think that's a real good solution. Fading in when some problems start to come up, and colored depending on the weight of situation.

But how would it be represented when you are stuffed or close to vomiting? Except if some of those critical messages in the corner still remain there to warn us.

3 hours ago, cirkular said:

Yeah I think that's a real good solution. Fading in when some problems start to come up, and colored depending on the weight of situation.

But how would it be represented when you are stuffed or close to vomiting? Except if some of those critical messages in the corner still remain there to warn us.

I do not hope that we get to the HUD also the "text messages of your state".
as I interpret so far it is so that the arrows indicate the amount of influence.

Arrows replace:
I`m cooling off                   >
I`m promtly cooling off    >>
I`m now cooling off          >>>

Things like "I have a weird taste in my mouth" may show up as "sound" and / or animation.

Also, I have not heard anything about the "status colors" of the icons as we know in the inventory.

Maybe there will be a possibility in the final version to set the HUD on its own, almost like "easy" (much information); "medium"; "hardcore" (intuitive only via sound and animations)

4 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

Maybe there will be a possibility in the final version to set the HUD on its own, almost like "easy" (much information); "medium"; "hardcore" (intuitive only via sound and animations)

The HUD can be toggled, so there's that.

4 hours ago, cirkular said:

Maybe something like this :D

ECMNnmZ.jpg

• Haha 1

Those icons could work (took me a second to figure out the throwing up one though), but personally I will be switching off as much HUD detail as possible.

I think there needs to be as many layers of redundancy as possible - visual and audio ques as well as icons that can allow the player to know what their character is experiencing. With the new system being implemented it should be easy to show the character is feeling ill (with a distinct 'slighty retching' animation for example) or feeling full by slowing down of eating (taking longer to finish a can of food) till your character is basically refusing to eat any more, on top of this you could have distinct audio ques (stomach noises, retching etc).

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Hoik said:

Those icons could work (took me a second to figure out the throwing up one though), but personally I will be switching off as much HUD detail as possible.

I think there needs to be as many layers of redundancy as possible - visual and audio ques as well as icons that can allow the player to know what their character is experiencing. With the new system being implemented it should be easy to show the character is feeling ill (with a distinct 'slighty retching' animation for example) or feeling full by slowing down of eating (taking longer to finish a can of food) till your character is basically refusing to eat any more, on top of this you could have distinct audio ques (stomach noises, retching etc).

Oh yes another factor we haven't mentioned that you just brought up now is fatigue affecting the speed of your actions. It should make sense if you're feeling hungry and thirsty that you should be running slower, eating slower etc

Visual and audio queues will definitely work but i'm not sure how you could represent the player as energized and hydrated? Maybe their posture is stronger? Their breathing is noticeably more clear?

But regardless i would still like icons to be more of a minor ui element that only appears when it's actually affecting you and to be honest I don't think arrows should even be a thing as generally players irl would already be aware that sprinting, wearing hot clothes, doing heavy actions would affect your hunger differently. Though for the sake of the game I understand why it would be in there. 

21 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

The HUD can be toggled, so there's that.

Yes, I read that.

Does that include missing all status information from the inventory screen? (That was my consideration for Hardcore).

31 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

Yes, I read that.

Does that include missing all status information from the inventory screen? (That was my consideration for Hardcore).

https://youtu.be/-RmJrnp85K0?t=4844 - "Completely zero HUD is absolutely possible on any server."

By the way, you can see in that time-stamp that the HUD icons can/do have color on them as well.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 3

On 21.03.2018 at 8:13 PM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

https://youtu.be/-RmJrnp85K0?t=4844 - "Completely zero HUD is absolutely possible on any server."

By the way, you can see in that time-stamp that the HUD icons can/do have color on them as well.

Thanks for pointing that out, didn't notice it during the stream, most of the time it was only white and red arrows. Wonder what was the cause of it changing color.

Edit:

I've clicked trough the stream and there is also the food icon going yellow a few times (for example 1:06:34) and red (1:50:40), the health icon going red, for example when injured from a fall (1:09:14) and right after that going yellow, and also yellow when being shot (2:02:44). I'm curious how they are set, what are some of the causes that make them go color.

Edited by Drake84pl
  • Beans 1