exacomvm

DayZ Dev Stream #1 Small Feedback

Hello guys, i've watched the whole stream and want to offer some changes also i want to hear your opinions if you agree with me and your thoughts.

Animation 
I am not a fan how the fall animations are made ( both death and jump from height ), they look extremely artificial and robotic even they were mocaps, i think devs need to implement an ragdoll system for deaths ( such as Arma 3, but better ), because dayz .63 currently has only 1 animation ( mocap i believe ) for death.

The jump from height animation looks artificial and robotic, the transitions doesn't seem smooth also, when jumping from higher height i think the character should transition in the pose of "preparing for drop" its really hard to find good references to visualize what i mean, but just do walk jump and run jump from 2-3 meters height and u will see what i mean, basically bad inertia and lacks variation ( roll could be cool tho ).

Item picking animations could be bit better, it would be nice to have it when pressing the pick button the player would approach the item and lean etc to actually pick it up instead of that random hand movement from few meters away of the item, because dayz is about immersion right?

New UI
It's kinda fine, but i think something better could be made ( maybe bit more modern and nicer looking ? )
On another hand Functionality seems awesome.

Graphics - The Big Thing That Bohemia Shines at.
Some may agree and some not, but half of dayz is fkn EPIC and half looks like 1990's game. 
I think its time to add more polys ( improve the details alot more ) to the characters and many buildings even most of them is fine, just needs new texturing, because it doesn't rly fit and overall looks old for 2018 game ( in another words not much changed since Arma 2 ).
Also dayz should have better antialiasing system, even at max settings it sometimes looks very flickery and stuff.

Other
Add breakable/shootable windows? For player distractions and just extra noise.

Edited by exacomvm

I agree with almost all your points (for me the fall animations looked fine). I think the way a person got hit is important to the way they drop dead but still... to many times the same dead pose. I do really hope they blend some ragdolls in it. Look at the left screenshot from one of Baty's play sessions. All the Z's have the same pose. But I am pretty optimistic about it since it is experimental phase

Graphics, again I totally agree. The nature, environment and characters look great for a game of its scope. But the houses, especially inside with all the furniture, and car wrecks look pretty bad. Dayz really could use new assets for a lot of smaller things and I think that they actually plan to replace a lot of old assets. This is from the SR of 7 November 2017:

''In the meantime, artists are looking into all the old assets used in-game, and reworking them into a condition that is fit for year 2017, and also fit for the options that we now have regarding the new renderer. Bringing the visual appeal of Chernarus into this century is the main goal here, as DayZ, while still pretty good-looking overall, is certainly lacking some more up to date finesse in certain places. Speaking of Chernarus, work on tourist trails is ongoing, and I can't be more excited after seeing the first internal results. It adds tons of flavor to an already interesting world. Adam will share more as we get closer to some final-ish state of things.''

So I am pretty sure we will see much better looking assets during beta. But I also hope, like you said with the AA, that they bring more graphical technology as well. I would love to see rain puddles come on ground during rain or more immersive lightning inside houses.

Edited by amadieus

The static death animation is temporary. In the future, player death will use a mix of static animation with ragdolling.

Indeed, something that has always bothered me was the lighting inside buildings has always been terrible with arma games. It feels like the 3d obj's of the buildings dont obey the world lighting. Tho i must say, dayz the old cruel mistress she is, I defs excited again for the beta, especially now i have a new pc i spent $2,229(AU) oh man what I long time coming ! I hope the exp launch will go smoothly and I hope most understand alot of content etc will be added incrementally.