Buakaw

Lighting of players vs environment is an issue

Why? Because players recieve dynamic lighting (or rather, sunlight), while the environment doesn't. Only certain objects recieve sunlight, most notably: players, tents and certain buildings or parts of buildings.

That makes these objects and players stick out greatly, making whatever camoflague you are wearing entirely pointless, particularly when traversing in darker terrain like forests. I also think it is quite a bit of an immersion killer.

This issue becomes mroe apparent the stronger the sunlight is. A solution would be to greatly tone down the sunlight reflection on player models and certain objects. Another solution would be to introduce new lighting. Ultimately I noticed the same issue still being apparent in the current 0.63 stream, so I wanted to bring it up again. Hopefully it can get addressed one way or the other. Any thoughts?

Here is a good screenshot to highlight the issue I am talking about: 3mfC6SC.jpg

3CuSrop.jpg

Edited by Buakaw
  • Beans 1

Yeah, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to lighting and shadow systems in game engines. So it'll be nice if they shed some light on why DayZ's environmental shadows and lighting look like that compared to current gen engines.

Would definitely love to see some good lighting and shadows like in a lot of naughty dog games or DICE.

According to some previous SR, lighting will get serious overhaul in 0.63. Check out the reports from February, there are numerous pictures in one of them.

9 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

According to some previous SR, lighting will get serious overhaul in 0.63. Check out the reports from February, there are numerous pictures in one of them.

Those talk more about tweaking world lighting values and post process coloring. What we're wondering more about is why shadows in "dense" forests are bright or why areas that barely have exposure to light aren't dark? The fact that they haven't tweaked it yet should show that its not something that the current lighting system can differentiate? Not sure.

The screenshot is still from the old renderer .... it's not that extreme, and there's still room for optimization, it's just not the most important thing right now.

3 hours ago, Buakaw said:

3mfC6SC.jpg

Why did you use such an old photo? Just wondering.. 

1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

The screenshot is still from the old renderer .... it's not that extreme, and there's still room for optimization, it's just not the most important thing right now.

I know its from the old renderer, but the issue still persists. The way lighting works didn't change, they merely added rendering occlusion and some post processing stuff and changed saturation values.

7 minutes ago, Irish. said:

Why did you use such an old photo? Just wondering.. 

Why do you ask? Just wondering.. because it isn't any different now.

Edited by Buakaw
  • Thanks 1

ok, I apologize, I just noticed that I never play in 3pp .... I should probably do this before answering here.

Dayz definitely could use some upgrades to its lightning system. Not sure if it is related to the thing OP mentioned but the lightning in houses is also very one dimensional as if there are no real shadows cast in houses.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Just now, Sqeezorz said:

ok, I apologize, I just noticed that I never play in 3pp .... I should probably do this before answering here.

This affects you as a 1pp player too.

Imagine these shiny players 50-100m further from your camera. They would stick out like beacons amongst the dark, unlit forest.

ckPoAkZ.jpg

This definitely needs to be adressed.

I would go as far as saying dynamic lightning needs to be removed from player chars if we can't fix this issue.

• Like 1

This is not the only lighting issue. The brightness inside houses is incredible high and there's no electricity. Closed buildings must be really dark even in daytime.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

I am sure we will have a huge list of things in .63 but what we need is the damn engine put on Exp so we can see everything first hand. I completely agree with you guys, the low graphics used to be able to filter white figures in the past, i do believe all that is fixed now, and more so in .63

• Beans 1

Totally agree with too much light inside structures. It's an issue for so long. I'm curious how would it all be solved, not only for inside but outside too, especially since we are playing on a vast open space. I guess the way shadows in the distance are rendered could prove to be a similar issue like with distance rendering and LODs. Quite a bitch that one.

I looked at the stream video today and paid attention to the addressed lighting. In the picture below we see like the characters "lights". But this is because the sun is shining directly on it. the place is north of Kamishovo and the sun is about at 2:00 PM ... the glare is created by mirroring (camera effect).

If you look further in the video where they run in the forest in the shade of the trees this "seem / dazzle" disappeared. I think the announced update of the "light setting" addresses these issues .... a broader spectrum from deep darkness to bright midday sun.

ckPoAkZ.jpg

Add: did you see the new greenhouses?

Edited by Sqeezorz
Wrong time AM/PM
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 5:16 AM, Kirov (DayZ) said:

This is true but they dont mention anything about indoor lighting which scares me to be honest.

Feb 27 status report states for lighting.

This time, my contribution will be rather short. With the 0.62 update, we have introduced many changes to the world lighting configuration. With the upcoming 0.63 update, we have made additional changes to address:

overall brightness during daytime

dawn and dusk transition brightness issues

improve nighttime and star read-ability

Please note that following comparison pictures (0.62 vs 0.63 light config) are work-in-progress and do not represent the final state. It should also be noted that both pictures were taken on 0.63, which, compared to 0.63, also contains a number of colour improvements to environment assets (grass, vegetation, artificial objects).