Baty Alquawen

0.63 Developer Live Stream - 14th March 2018

few questions about the 0.63....

i asked these before but didnt get any answers...

Was there any info about examble how stones work?or is it same lame system that you pick stone,little animation and bam...you have a knife.just asking that is there reason to seek proper knifes or is stoneknife still some miracle item?

Also would like to know that is firemaking still super easy...no need to search matches?.

few new questions pop up my mind when looking stream...
after collecting apples from ground,what system make new apples spawn there?
same question to chickens?

15 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

few questions about the 0.63....

i asked these before but didnt get any answers...

Was there any info about examble how stones work?or is it same lame system that you pick stone,little animation and bam...you have a knife.just asking that is there reason to seek proper knifes or is stoneknife still some miracle item?

Also would like to know that is firemaking still super easy...no need to search matches?.

few new questions pop up my mind when looking stream...
after collecting apples from ground,what system make new apples spawn there?
same question to chickens?

1. Stones are now 'physical' objects in the environment (like the new apple system) - there was nothing shown about how they will work in 0.63

2. Someone else can maybe answer this - i think they had matches in the stream.

3. Apple spawns are controlled by the central loot economy.

4. Not sure what controls animal spawning.

Here's a recap, similar to the ones I've posted before on Steam:
(It's nothing official, just some personal paraphrased notes.)

Official VOD on Youtube.

0:58 - Stream starts
2:20 - "What is the biggest change compared to 0.62?"
(Discussion about the stamina system)
6:05 - "Importantly, the first 0.63 experimental update won't have vehicles, but the stamina system will probably change when they come."
7:05 - "Currently the jogging speed is around 15kmh (9.3mph) which is quite fast, and the sprint is around 24kmh (15mph)."
7:40 - "The difference in travel time from Elektro to NWAF with the new stamina system is about 8-10 minutes."
8:08 - "What are the differences between 0.63 Exp, 0.63 Stable, and 1.0? What happens during those phases?"
10:28 - "And just to remind everybody, we still want to reach the Beta and 1.0 this year."
10:52 - "What has changed about hunting/skinning?"
12:00 - (Bloody hands are shown)
12:45 - "User actions are now shown with a time indicator. There are two kinds of actions, single-use and continuous actions."
13:30 - (Character is shown eating while moving around)
14:30 - (Discussion about the food/energy and blood/health systems)
19:50 - (Discussion about the character controller)
21:40 - (One of the tourist trail maps is shown.)
21:50 - (Discussion about the naked-eye zoom)
22:45 - "The zoom is only available when your weapon is lowered."
24:25 - "What other major gameplay changes are there?"
24:50 - (Discussion about the reloading mechanics)
28:47 - "Baty found an ambiently spawned stone. No more texture spamming!"
29:10 - "The CLE spawns stones, apples, and later maybe stuff like mushrooms, sticks, fruits, and plants."
30:05 - (Plastic bananas worn in chest holsters is mentioned.)
31:00 - (Discussion about the hotbar/quickbar/quickslots)
33:55 - "We tried spawning apples on the trees, but it didn't look good because of the tree movement. Spawning on ground is fine and much better than before."
34:58 - (Discussion about very old bugs like breaking legs on stairs)
36:00 - "Now the synchronization is much better and the new character controller uses proper physics."
36:26 - "The rewrite of all this tech to get rid of these rooted issues is the reason why you guys have been waiting for so long."
38:20 - (Discussion about the melee combat system)
39:10 - "We had combo attacks before, now we have separate light and heavy attacks."
41:20 - (Discussion about weapon sway)
42:00 - (FNX sway/recoil and holding breath is shown.)
44:25 - (Discussion about gestures)

49:00 - (Discussion about prone animations and aiming)
50:05 - (New crouch pose/animations are shown.)
51:05 - "It may not show in the video, but the new character controls very differently from what you're used to. You won't want to go back."
51:45 - (Animation interruption is demonstrated with stance-switching.)
52:30 - (Short drop animation is shown.)
52:50 - "What other systems benefit from the new animation system?"
(Continued discussion.)
56:05 - "Yes, we are using inverse-kinematics on hands and feet."
(Continued discussion.)
59:30 - (Discussion about ladder animations)
1:01:20 - "We are working on climbing obstacles."
1:02:11 - "There will be jumping, climbing over, and climbing onto obstacles."
1:02:58 - "How are we going to solve zig-zagging?"
1:04:50 - (Injured animations are shown.)
1:07:50 - (Swimming animations are shown.)
1:09:06 - (Long drop and more injured animations are shown.)
1:11:50 - "We're working on facial animations and gestures, but the in-game heads are not ready for it yet."
1:12:45 - "Throwing is still going to be possible, but not in the first 0.63 Exp update."

1:17:30 - "Eugen, what's the most important thing you want to say about the new update?"
1:20:50 - "All of the HUDs can be hidden."
1:23:05 - "As soon as you fire your weapon in a city, you can easily get overwhelmed by zombies. Zombies are really hard right now."
1:25:55 - (Discussion about release goals)
1:27:20 - "We're going to scale up, meaning we're going to start with stress tests for a couple hours here and there."
1:28:55 - "After 0.63 Exp is first live, meaning we're using a lot of our servers to allow people to get in for a few hours, we're going to take in the feedback and do small iterations and update as soon as possible. After the stability of the server and the client are alright, we're going to keep it live for everyone to play. Once the update is live, we're going to allow server owners to switch their server to the experimental 0.63 version."

1:30:40 - "Will we be able to rotate items in our backpacks?" (Yes!)
1:31:05 - (Discussion about bayonets and player freedom)
1:32:20 - (Discussion about client and server performance, specs)
1:34:05 - "We're looking into those stress tests to figure out the limits for player numbers, zombies, etc."
1:34:35 - (Discussion about modding)
1:36:10 - (Discussion about lack of updates, communication, feedback)
1:42:15 - "What are we going to do about the gamma settings?"
1:44:55 - "Thanks to the game engine, we actually have a very playable console version right now."
1:48:40 - "Weapon scopes are not going to be in the first experimental update. Why is that?"
1:53:30 - (Discussion about the process of balancing things with development in mind)
1:56:50 - "How are we going to approach cheaters and hackers in the game?"
1:59:00 - (Discussion about audio)
2:02:55 - "Client-side performance is better than it was."
2:05:35 - "Battle Royale is popular. What are we doing with Survivor Gamez?"
2:08:45 - "How far are we from releasing 0.63 Exp?"
2:11:05 - "We're weeks away from experimental."

There.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 7

On 3/15/2018 at 7:16 AM, robbyj said:

225 km^2 map. focus on melee combat. pick one. you know how wrong this looks? that's the result on wasting time on dumb features. no one bought a copy of dayz sa for the melee combat. true staples of dayz such as base building created this game's cult following and the developers continue to push off core features that made dayz so unique and appealing. 

I think it's you who's too focused on melee combat. Guns and crafting/base-building have been getting a lot of love just the same as melee.

And the reason why "melee was so insignificant in the mod" was because every corner and player was bursting with ammo while the "melee" combat was a clunky hack that required few specific items instead of the everything you can use in SA. (Soon including guns themselves.)

On 3/15/2018 at 2:34 PM, Girth Brooks said:

I'm trying to think without watching the video again but I don't remember them saying much about player count and server performance. I'm very curious about that.

Server performance has been talked about in the past and in the stream. It's much better.

Max player count has had a goal of 100+ for ages, and in this stream they said they'll figure out the limits during stress tests / experimental.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 3

4 hours ago, kopo79 said:

I suspect that the stone knife will eventually have some drawbacks. It'll probably have an extremely low durability or something, meaning that it can only be used once or twice before becoming ruined - or it'll be extremely inefficient, yielding less food from canned food and less meat from skinned animals than a proper knife.

• Beans 3

I have to ask? anyone not notice the freezing again without infected? must be beta testing on a 286 or we still have broken or the same old scripts running like sqf? still....

To me its looking much better, but it is a huge step backwards starting all over in the beginning again. UI has been rehashed too many times, basic crafting rehashed too many times etc..

but we are in a step forward now. Good twitch. Keep it up and in the next few months we might have .48 come around again-stages.

4 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

I suspect that the stone knife will eventually have some drawbacks. It'll probably have an extremely low durability or something, meaning that it can only be used once or twice before becoming ruined - or it'll be extremely inefficient, yielding less food from canned food and less meat from skinned animals than a proper knife.

I think they are talking about the simplicity in making the item.  Im sure this is stuff that will come with expanding functionality of the animation system and balance.

For example, they mention lighting fires being easy and instantaneous while it should be determined by many other factors such as environment and dampness.  Visual representation of successful or failed attempts should reflect this.

• Beans 2

20 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

"Loaded marches in the United States Army are known as ruck marches and are part of basic recruit training. In order to gain the Expert Infantryman Badge (a further qualification for existing infantry personnel) candidates must complete a ruck march of 19 kilometers (12 mi) within three hours, carrying a rifle and load. The total load (including the rifle) may be up to 31.75 kilograms (70 lb). The march is individual rather than in a squad, so an individual may achieve a better time than the three-hour requirement." - wiki

Sounds to me like most people with 50+ pounds of gear wouldn't be able to sustain much over 4+5mph on foot for any prolonged period of time.

Thereby you would hope a guy in a crafted leather outfit and no backpack holding an SMG should be able to run circles around the guy with the full military kit and full Alice backpack....

Precisely!

And what a great game mechanic to figure out how to manage it.

And in the Canadian Armed Forces it was a 10km "forced march" in full gear, 50-pound pack, 15 pound battle rifle with 4 full mags, and you had to do it as a TEAM in under a set time! And THIS was for Armored Crewmen...who had a nice little 50-ton battle tank to get around in...FFS!

Infantry dudes are not quite right in the ole noggin... ;-)

• Beans 2

9 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

and less meat from skinned animals than a proper knife

A stone knife can be more sharp than a scalpel.

19 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

30:05 - (Plastic bananas worn in chest holsters is mentioned.)

The game has been needing this for a long time!  Hopefully there are plans in the future to attach a pistol scope.

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

I really really hope that the weight you are carrying will have a big effect on your movement speed and stamina.

Edited by VVarhead

Also, I want to ask the devs something that has been on my mind for some time:

Can we get randomized wells? Some wells should be dried out or maybe filled with contaminated water which can give you cholera. It really sucks right now that you can just look at the map and run to the nearest well and you're never gonna be in danger of thirst.

I know it's kind of a big task to make the wells dynamic basically, but it would really really benefit the game. Water would be a much more important resource.

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, VVarhead said:

Also, I want to ask the devs something that has been on my mind for some time:

Can we get randomized wells? Some wells should be dried out or maybe filled with contaminated water which can give you cholera. It really sucks right now that you can just look at the map and run to the nearest well and you're never gonna be in danger of thirst.

I know it's kind of a big task to make the wells dynamic basically, but it would really really benefit the game. Water would be a much more important resource.

The idea has already been mentioned several times, and I fully agree with this idea.

But the well should not give any chance for cholera, because:

You make the well so completely useless, because then you can get better water at any river or pond, and without great danger, since these are mostly remote / hidden, as opposed to Fountain.

1 hour ago, GaryWalnuts said:

The game has been needing this for a long time!  Hopefully there are plans in the future to attach a pistol scope.

I think it's way too overpowered! Think about it, someone comes up to you and sees that banana in the holster, instant confusion. "Why do you have a banana in an holster? This doesn't make any sense. Why? What's wrong with you?" and suddenly *BOP* your buddy tapped him from behind with a Sledge Hammer. Add a scope into the mix and there is even more confusion.

Banana in holster too OP, fix please!

• Beans 2

9 hours ago, IMT said:

I think it's way too overpowered! Think about it, someone comes up to you and sees that banana in the holster, instant confusion. "Why do you have a banana in an holster? This doesn't make any sense. Why? What's wrong with you?" and suddenly *BOP* your buddy tapped him from behind with a Sledge Hammer. Add a scope into the mix and there is even more confusion.

Banana in holster too OP, fix please!

Yeah my bad, It's clearly a cqc item. scope doesn't make sense.  Maybe silencer?  or DUAL WIELDING!?!

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

Just too bad it's a plastic one. I'm sure if they added banana peel after eating it, it could prove quite a deadly trap set at proper places (police station stairs etc.) :)

• Beans 1

13 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

That's what crafting stations are for! XD

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2018 at 12:46 AM, DannyDog said:

I stopped right here.

You're essentially telling the devs not to make the game they want to make.

Can you see how wrong that looks?

On 3/15/2018 at 2:19 AM, The Ghost of Hoik said:

You are making large generalisations - perhaps no one you know is interested in these features but I assure you lots of other people are. As far as I recall (at least during the time I was playing the MOD) base building was never a part of vanilla DayZ. Epoch had base building, seems a lot of people get confused between what was epoch and what was Dayz.

On 3/15/2018 at 2:33 PM, gorvi said:

about the only thing which matters in this post

these aged well ^