Rekurv

Is fixing gamma exploit even possible? Any plans for it?

Hello,

just curious if there are any plans to fix the Gamma exploit and s it even possible? I'm aware that some games do something to keep things dark even if people turn up their gamma settings, but they are on different engines and I know very little about programming, so I was hoping to gain some enlightenment on this topic. 

Also I'm aware that many players dislike having to play in darkness so is it even worth fixing? It just seems a shame to waste all the great work on chemlights, craftable torches etc. not too mention an awesome survival experience. 

Are there any plans to fix it for beta (or at any stage), and is it even possible ?

We want to do our best for the fix of gamma exploit.

• Beans 7

Thanks Baty, much appreciated! Although not the most in depth answer i have ever seen, knowing it is still on your minds and not forgotten is enough to keep the faith. Respect.

The problem is, is that you can easily change your gamma outside the game as well. I'm all for a game in which everyone experiences the night the same but just removing the option in the games options screen will not do

• Like 1

The problem can be solved in several ways. Visually, the visibility / distance for objects / players / animals could be reduced to hardcoded ... they simply do not care less how high your gamma is. Or it can be solved with mechanics who jogging or run without light in the dark, risking his character falling, and injuring himself ... no matter how high your gamma is.

the most important thing is: the devs know the point and want to solve it.

• Beans 1

I can increase the gamma with nvidia control panel in dayz sa but it doesnt work in the mod... I hope they disable that gamma thing from the game and other programs

Then they need to remove server hoping as it relates to weather then the dark sky. (Ppl hate playing games for more then 10 minutes in the dark). If we are getting authentic skys lets just fix all the bugs first and get all the features in before we fix all the rest.  Not sure how the mod went, and if people scripted out the black skys for over 10 minutes. Pushing it too much will just isolate vanilla even further. Is it a fact? dont know we have never really tested this before. Is it a fact people hate the raining all day on the servers? yes..... and they will server hop on public or private slaves. How many? many numbers will dwindle fast because you freeze out, get wet, cant do anything in the rain. (populated servers start to fold down then server hoping starts) This all goes way way back prior to this engine. So without the old numbers, the amount of people playing that we used to have, its hard to really comment past what i remember vs tomorrows game state will be like.

Plus hopefully they remove the rain from all crafting buildings. That's more a feature players would want...like the mods in arma etc...

• Beans 1

7 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Then they need to remove server hoping as it relates to weather then the dark sky. (Ppl hate playing games for more then 10 minutes in the dark). If we are getting authentic skys lets just fix all the bugs first and get all the features in before we fix all the rest.  Not sure how the mod went, and if people scripted out the black skys for over 10 minutes. Pushing it too much will just isolate vanilla even further. Is it a fact? dont know we have never really tested this before. Is it a fact people hate the raining all day on the servers? yes..... and they will server hop on public or private slaves. How many? many numbers will dwindle fast because you freeze out, get wet, cant do anything in the rain. (populated servers start to fold down then server hoping starts) This all goes way way back prior to this engine. So without the old numbers, the amount of people playing that we used to have, its hard to really comment past what i remember vs tomorrows game state will be like.

Plus hopefully they remove the rain from all crafting buildings. That's more a feature players would want...like the mods in arma etc...

Yeah it's true, its hard for most people to play long periods of time in the dark. Especially those who only want to PVP (myself not included). I think speeding up the server speeds should solve this issue. Maybe a couple hours of light and a couple dark. 12 hours darkness is a bit much for even the most hardcore survival fans. It seems to work pretty well in games like Miscreated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rekurv said:

Yeah it's true, its hard for most people to play long periods of time in the dark. Especially those who only want to PVP (myself not included). I think speeding up the server speeds should solve this issue. Maybe a couple hours of light and a couple dark. 12 hours darkness is a bit much for even the most hardcore survival fans. It seems to work pretty well in games like Miscreated.

I agree with the example of Miscreated. Nights are quite short on official servers (45min or something?) and on even some community servers nights are only like 5-10 minutes. I do not know the exact rates on the Dayz servers currently, but I do know that the night time takes quite a while

On 3/11/2018 at 12:09 PM, amadieus said:

The problem is, is that you can easily change your gamma outside the game as well. I'm all for a game in which everyone experiences the night the same but just removing the option in the games options screen will not do

This is not necessarily the case.

In escape from tarkov for example turning up the gamma will not help you at all.

We know 2 things atm when it comes to the dark.

1. PVP gamma exploit to pvp or to pve, avoid the pvp players or simply loot up safely.

2. gamma exploit to see the game.

So how many people do this? MANY... we know that. How many want a complete pitch black experience? we do not know that.

So maybe we should ask everyone do they really care? or is it something the devs care more on. Otherwise id just leave it alone and let the mods script in their own version of pitch black.

The issue is people want to get immersed and complain about people who could care less about immersion, but in order to remove any gamma advantage, you would have to do something like Rust did which is completely pitch black landscapes and to me that isnt really immersive at all either.

Rust fixed the gamma exploit. They just made night time super dark and took out the gamma slider. Works a treat and adds 10x immersion at night. It's so cool seeing torches in the distance. I really hope they sort it otherwise they might as well take night time out of the game.

7 hours ago, Caatalyst said:

Rust fixed the gamma exploit. They just made night time super dark and took out the gamma slider. Works a treat and adds 10x immersion at night. It's so cool seeing torches in the distance. I really hope they sort it otherwise they might as well take night time out of the game.

Last time i played rust i could gamma exploit with just my monitor so not sure exactly what you mean.

To the best of my knowledge the problem has been fixed. They made night time so dark that you have to use in game Light sources to see at night. I’d suggest testing it out. 

Ahh the old gamma exploit debate. The one true long time thorn in dayz arse. This along with the grass render distance would be the 2 most controversial topics of dayz since 2012. I do beleive we seen some information about night vision goggles in the past which i wouldnt say means we would see a change to gamma anytime soon but hey ill keep dreamn in the mean time :D 

On 3/17/2018 at 6:58 PM, sneakydude said:

Last time i played rust i could gamma exploit with just my monitor so not sure exactly what you mean.

they added a blue fog that would cover everything not touched by a light source. If you gamma your monitor or the gpu, you just gonna get a lot of blue. You still get some "advantage" by doing this, but it looks so damn horrible, that its easier for your eyes not doing it.

Edited by exwoll

On 3/23/2018 at 8:06 PM, exwoll said:

they added a blue fog that would cover everything not touched by a light source. If you gamma your monitor or the gpu, you just gonna get a lot of blue. You still get some "advantage" by doing this, but it looks so damn horrible, that its easier for your eyes not doing it.

Right now i do remember this but still able to see. It was blue... I had to remember when the last time i played it.

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

Right now i do remember this but still able to see. It was blue... I had to remember when the last time i played it.

Its like that mostly. 

this was before they made nights darker. Now it looks like 40% worst than that with gamma. Personally I would rather crawl and hide during night time than play that blue psychodelic minecraft.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, exwoll said:

Its like that mostly. 

this was before they made nights darker. Now it looks like 40% worst than that with gamma. Personally I would rather crawl and hide during night time than play that blue psychodelic minecraft.

Night time in its current state works amazingly well in Rust. Players are forced to use in game light sources and it makes it feel so much more immersive.

Dayz / Arma might as well just take night out if they aren't going to come up with a solution because as long as players can use gamma exploits its purpose is obsolete. 

• Beans 1