Oscar_Syx

Thinking about buying, but steam reviews

The reviews are scaring me, and I am not sure what to do.  I have been playing a lot of Escape From Tarkov but I can no longer play that pile of garbage.  I wanted to get the opinions of you all.  Buy it or wait?

Ignore their an our opinion and choose yourself tbh.

Watch some streams/videos and see if the current build is for you, if not just wait for Beta and see if that is more to your liking.

I would recommend that you wait for now. Beta (version 0.63) with major gameplay overhauls is coming later this year but no ETA yet.

• Beans 1

If you've waited this long, I'd say wait a bit longer. When Beta hits, THEN make a decision. That's my two cents anyways

Same advice as the 2 people above me. Wait to see how the game plays after beta as there some major changes coming. Check out some YouTube game play of it after beta, check the reviews again ( basically gather info about what the game is meant to be in the end before buying.

13 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

I would recommend that you wait for now. Beta (version 0.63) with major gameplay overhauls is coming later this year but no ETA yet.

Listen to this one, There is a huge pause almost over with as the beta is coming out. Nothing stopping you from giving it a go, but quite a few of us are waiting for .63 now so we can move forward to release.

Ya, like the others are saying I would definitely wait until Beta comes out (Which imo should come within the next couple of months)

On 2/28/2018 at 11:35 PM, Oscar_Syx said:

The reviews are scaring me, and I am not sure what to do.  I have been playing a lot of Escape From Tarkov but I can no longer play that pile of garbage.  I wanted to get the opinions of you all.  Buy it or wait?

There is no reason to wait for beta or whatever. There are so many videos of Dayz on youtube that u have plenty of information  about how its like to play the game. Steam reviews dont mean jack shit, most of the reviews are written by dramaqueen teenagers that have a love/hate relationship with everything in life. Watch youtube clips, it will give u enough information to make ur own judgement. Asking somebody else if u will like Dayz dosent make any sense really.

If you think you might buy DayZ when beta comes out, you can save a little money by buying before the price increase.  If you are new to the game, it might be a bit of a waste learning everything on the obsolete systems currently used. 

• Beans 1

I wouldn't trust steam reviews on DayZ, since most are just bandwagon haters. However, I wouldn't suggest buying it now, just wait for beta. :D

• Like 1

Steam reviews is just pure trash talk, 50% are haters who blames dayz devs that they didn't released the game 4 years ago, second 40% is just old reviews ( when dayz had lots of bugs ) and rest 10% is just kids who always die in this game and has no idea how to use the compass so they cry in the reviews section.

I think when dayz hits Beta, Bohemia should contact steam for wiping all the reviews.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2018 at 11:05 AM, benedictus said:

Buy and try. Refund if you don't like.

Not exactly a good way to advise , put it that way, because dayz is a good game but it is no where near complete to what is being done. Refunding, re buying ok if you wish to go that route. If you want 100+ hrs give it a go, otherwise wait until .63 is out. The price may increase once beta is around, you may have a week or two before that happens, but to buy refund before 2 hours is up, is not enough time to explore the game.

This isn't a pubg game, it takes time to look around the map.

I understand Benedictus you been around a long time, but i am sorta surprised you suggested it that way, knowing how much time 2 hours will get you in the game. 2 hrs hardly gets you to the north, unless it is you and I playing. We know where to go quickly given the current state, but someone new? Coast, water, city game purchased you now cant refund.....

• Like 1

Yes I agree, you cant buy and try within one hour or 2. And I say just buy it now at a cheaper price (as you seem like you want to buy it at some stage). It's a really fun game in it current state (in my humble opinion), but you must go into it knowing there are still improvements being made. If you only wanna play a beta version buy it and don't install it...though I couldn't resist i think...

It's best to make a selection that suits you. Do you like the Genere / Survival Open Sandbox? Do you already have games from this genre..or do you know games from this genere, but something keeps you from buying them. If so, what do you think of DayZ, what do you expect from this game? Is this experience worth the money or what are your expectations for your money?

These are all things that we can not take you off, because: DayZ is not finished, and what will really come with 0.63 / beta, none of us really know.

• Like 1

OP what type of game you after? seeing as you played EFT im guessing your after a fast paced action game. Well Dayz isn't for you, now if you like running around (alot) and looking for loot and a weapon then dying for no reason whats so ever. Jump right in but all seriousness wait to 0.63 and then give it a week or two for Youtube videos to appear and see what you think.

I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that you wait till this game goes into Beta, currently the game has a lot of problems and lacking in a few areas. Hopefully the Beta will address these and prove to be something everyone has been hoping for, for a long long time.

Just watch a couple different streamers in twitch for an hour or so...not exactly the same as playing it, but it will give you a good idea. Ez.

Edit: Some really great youtubers out there making great videos of their adventures. Perhaps more entertaining than watching streamers, and definitely more immersive than a crowded room full of people spamming Kappa emotes...

Edited by Rekurv

I recommend waiting if you can. The game is still heavily under development so you're not getting authentic survival experience yet but you can just get the feel of game mechanics and the world itself. Unless you've a friend to play with, I'd say at this rate check back at the end of 2018. Or if you're in to modding, then of course get the game when support for that is released.

On 07/03/2018 at 7:20 AM, sneakydude said:

-

Well I don't really know how long you can play until you can't refund anymore but if Steam is willing to refund products it's their problem.

It's the easiest way to test the game out.

On 28/2/2018 at 11:35 PM, Oscar_Syx said:

"To buy, or not to buy: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? ........."

Seems like you are experiencing an existential dilemma of the deepest kind. But, since you're not exactly contemplating the purchase of a "no return" Rolex gold watch, don't worry too much.

Be bold! Buy DayZ and try it out. That's the best answer to your inner torment.

Regards

• Beans 1

19 hours ago, benedictus said:

Well I don't really know how long you can play until you can't refund anymore but if Steam is willing to refund products it's their problem.

It's the easiest way to test the game out.

14 days in product games list, and 2 hours game time max or they will not refund you. Its a policy that people have been trying to get repaired for yrs now. Its their policy and just doing updates suck up game time. Overlays etc cause it to be logged in such as Discord overlays. There was a bug or whatever that kept you logged in. Point being 2 hrs isn't enough to even see the UI lol they got you by a small stick.

On 09/03/2018 at 2:55 PM, sneakydude said:

Point being 2 hrs isn't enough to even see the UI lol they got you by a small stick.

Truth is that their are being more than kind to let you play the game free for 2 hours. I don't see why they even give refunds unless the game is broken or unplayable somehow.

On 3/6/2018 at 5:02 AM, exacomvm said:

Steam reviews is just pure trash talk, 50% are haters who blames dayz devs that they didn't released the game 4 years ago, second 40% is just old reviews ( when dayz had lots of bugs ) and rest 10% is just kids who always die in this game and has no idea how to use the compass so they cry in the reviews section.

I think when dayz hits Beta, Bohemia should contact steam for wiping all the reviews.

This isn't strictly true. No one thought the game would be ready to go in 2014, players did expect more progress than has been achieved. The Dev's have not handled communication with the fanbase well and the reviews reflect this. A lot of the negative reviews speak about how much fun they had when the Alpha was released but express dismay at the lack of progress.  Some mention that they cannot load the game or even play it on PC's that are quite high spec which goes against Valve's rules on early access.  Others, myself included, haven't met any other players on public servers in years, (I think early 2016 was the last time for me). For me when I pop in every so often it's basically a single player experience not the MMO it is advertised as. 

One of the fundamental problems with DayZ is the world has moved on and other games have taken it's place. State of Decay 2 is out in about 6 weeks for example. A fully functioning game ready to go two years after it was announced.

I'm only posting here as I think the OP asked a genuine question that most people have responding sensibly and wisely to. Most negative reviews are not from haters. Most reviewers loved the game as a mod and when it was released as SA.