gorvi

Stumbling and tripping

Will anything like tripping and stumbling be involved within DayZ?  A player dashing through fields and forests subject to a bit more risk would be a great way to insure users don't get careless.

Minor injuries or increased damage to footwear, clothes and possibly items could be some of the penalties for haphazardly disregarding the environment and your surroundings.  Other environmental hazards like poison ivy, thorny bushes, and heavy brush could offer both tactics and deterrents from users blindly sprinting through the landscape.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

agree with the idea. she should be very active in the dark, especially when running / jogging and not using light. (gamma will not protect you)

Be carefull in the dark or use light....safety first ^^.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

32 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

Be carefull in the dark or use light

I never even thought of this aspect.  This is a great idea to help promote users utilizing different light sources or keeping to a path/river when in the dark.

Yeah, me too. I'd love something like that to have in Dayz :) GTA5 had it done quite well when you fail to jump properly or climb a too steep hill. On the other hand, right now it's ridiculous how some branches and knocked down tree trunks on your path through the woods can stop you like it's a wall. And also the current vault over obstacles system is still a pain to handle sometimes. But first I'd wait and see what the devs had in mind with the new player controller. The last dev video was also about jumping from heights with some new animations. I also liked the idea of aiming a weapon in 360deg when down on the ground prone.

Edited by cirkular
  • Beans 1

18 minutes ago, cirkular said:

But first I'd wait and see what the devs had in mind with the new player controller

"let me make it clear: we will be adding jumping, alongside with climbing over obstacles later, after ladders are done, as smooth traversing through environment is very crucial for DayZ gameplay." -Peter

https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-12-december-2017

16 hours ago, gorvi said:

Minor injuries or increased damage to footwear, clothes and possibly items could be some of the penalties for haphazardly disregarding the environment and your surroundings..

This.

You walk/sprint: shoes increased damage with time/distance.

You move if you crouching: shoes/pants increased damage.

You crawl/move in lay positons: shoes/pants/jacket increased damage.

And this influences with the different floortypes. Roads/stones high influence to clothes,  grass less or minimum influences.

• Beans 1

10 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

This.

You walk/sprint: shoes increased damage with time/distance.

You move if you crouching: shoes/pants increased damage.

You crawl/move in lay positons: shoes/pants/jacket increased damage.

And this influences with the different floortypes. Roads/stones high influence to clothes,  grass less or minimum influences.

Before people freak out about "too real".  I assume these are risks which accumulate over hours of playtime depending upon the situation the character is currently in.  In example, crouching and moving will very slowly decrease the condition of a players shoes with the risk of ruining them faster when at a damaged state.

On that topic, this is something why I would love to see shoe's and boots have laces as an attachment.  Not only for the chance of laces snapping, but the possibility to use laces as cording which is a very important survival tactic.

• Beans 1

I can remember Patch 0.54, your sneakers were from Kamishovo "pristine" to NWAF "damaged" .... shoes were important, it was a part of your inventory. (Military boots were the best, even in the forest they were very resistant). It should not be extreme, it should only show that there are differences, even sneakers have their strengths and advantages .... they are quiet and soft ....

• Beans 1

18 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

I can remember Patch 0.54, your sneakers were from Kamishovo "pristine" to NWAF "damaged" .... shoes were important, it was a part of your inventory. (Military boots were the best, even in the forest they were very resistant). It should not be extreme, it should only show that there are differences, even sneakers have their strengths and advantages .... they are quiet and soft ....

I'm on the same page, so it sounds like both you and I can just sit around all day agreeing with each other.

Different shoes/boots should effect gameplay more than aesthetic or a knife slot.  Quite frankly, most boots should be able to conceal a knife

Sneakers should be able to "sneak" more reliably than a heavy soled work boot, but is more vulnerable to environmental factors such as wetness and damage from different terrain.

Edited by gorvi
  • Thanks 1

Random tripping I am not in favor of.

Tripping related directly to environmental obstacles I am in favor of.

5 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Random tripping I am not in favor of.

Tripping related directly to environmental obstacles I am in favor of.

Random tripping could be if your character has a broken leg, is sick, or is drunk/high.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 2:18 AM, Sqeezorz said:

I'm all for realism but having your shoes damaged from travelling from Kami to NWAF is just ridiculous. Imagine your irl pair of shoes lasting you one day.. (maybe if you manage to survive for more than a week in game it should start wearing out)

But I do agree that the type of shoe you are wearing should affect how audible your footsteps are to others.

4 hours ago, Trnc84 said:

I'm all for realism but having your shoes damaged from travelling from Kami to NWAF is just ridiculous

We are not talking about how it was during the testing phase.  This would happen over a long period of time and would be affected by other factors such as terrain, temperature, and dampness.

Edited by gorvi