sneakydude

Thoughs on Open World and the SR Report

After watching this video, now just the music in the background i got a huge overwelming feeling of openness i wanted from dayz.

I also felt that i just wanted to go chop some trees, gather some mushrooms and have a BBQ :) joking but i really felt like going to start building a community somewhere in the woods and stockpile all my wares.

How did you feel about this SR? I just got so motivated again after a year off.

Now lets talk about that camera.... Devs you dont know how much that camera means to players like me, when entering and leaving buildings. I feel now is the time i wont feel so sick.

Once the Character controllers, movements will be adjusted i think we can safely say us players that get video sick, wont have that issue anymore. That fast spin can really make a player like myself close the game.

What are your thoughts about the SR and .63 experimental? do you feel happy we waited all this time.

Keep it civil please.

It will even be better when the wildlife returns to dayz, looking at that video for the 3rd time.

I feel like due devs are starting to take advantage of the new engine. Even the triviality of different "types of water" makes the fantasy start. a river has murky brown water ... it could have rained a short time ago. maybe they will be able to give the water a dynamic height ... more rain in rain than dry. Cloudy brown water could also be more harmful (cholera). These are little things that quickly give you a lot of "leeway" for them to recognize.

• Like 2

It's great with water but I'm have seen better to be frank. The flow animation looks outdated and very choppy, don't you think? Perhaps they will work on it some more, I hope so.

Edited by Brandon Clinch
  • Like 1

Would be cool if that would be actual flowing water which interacts to everything, maybe some flooding etc after rain and not just animated shader/texture.
Not sure if any game has physics like that, probs would be pain to pre-simulate and implement such collisions.

Edited by exacomvm

17 hours ago, exacomvm said:

Would be cool if that would be actual flowing water which interacts to everything, maybe some flooding etc after rain and not just animated shader/texture.
Not sure if any game has physics like that, probs would be pain to pre-simulate and implement such collisions.

You got that right. Its also a matter of priority. Why spend so much time implementing it when itll have so little effect on the game other than visuals.

I laughed out loud at this one guy's sarcastic, frustrated reply to the SR on steam:

dude ive been waiting so long for sensitive footwork great job dayz devs

He's being a wiseass to be sure, but man it hit me in the funnybone.

Also, where is Hicks?

1 hour ago, DannyDog said:

You got that right. Its also a matter of priority. Why spend so much time implementing it when itll have so little effect on the game other than visuals.

True, but if they plan to release ArmA 4 using current Enfusion engine, features like that should be added for maximum realism/simulation.
P.S. Spintires already did something like that.

Just implement player interactions back, and disable KOS lol is it hard haha worked few yaers ago

• Confused 2

If they are going to add streams, I wish they made them wider so I can take a small boat upriver  Apocalypse Now style.

• Beans 1

Boats would be a great thing. Only the question arises where it makes sense to use boats, if it is so that boats can not be carried (is realistic, except a kayak, boats are too heavy).

On the sea: Yes definitely, the sea is big and wide and there are islands that can be reached.

Inland lakes: there are a few lakes big enough to use a boat, but why? for fishing? Honestly, fishing on a lake is a very difficult thing to do ... in a world that is unpredictable. You're the perfect defenseless target of a Lvl.1 sniper. Without targeted mechanics on a lake (net fishing), it makes little sense.

Rivers / streams: they are even worse than the lakes. too small and worthless without meaningful mechanics. Also, you will have no advantage in speed, and waterfalls will stop your way too fast. Therefore the idea with boats sounds good, but the benefit in comparison to the effort (programming), IMO is too low on rivers / streams.

Definitely welcome boats are on the sea (a few more islands in the east, Adam? Wink ;-)) and maybe on larger lakes.

• Confused 1

Nature in DayZ does look absolutely stunning now, no doubt about that. Now, if only player controller, gun play, melee combat, survival mechanics and all that is fixed and feels naturally intuitive then OOOH JEEZUS... I kind of get a tingly Rambo: First Blood-feeling looking at that video. 

However, I am a little concerned. Actually, confused might be a better word to describe my thought process here. So, nature looks absolutely stunning, unique, and is by now so diverse that you will be able to use "natural" landmarks to navigate, even in the middle of nowhere. Cliff faces, ravines, dams, streams and shallow rivers, trails, unique rock formations, ruins, bridges, railroad tracks, etc. If the detail in the Chernarus nature is where the devs put a lot time and effort, that is where I would want to spend most of my time. But the devs seem to remove more and more wilderness to make room for villages and cities that IMO are kind of generic, lifeless and boring.

I wonder, are they going to work as much on making the cities more diverse, replacing many of the re-used buildings with new ones? As long as the base of the old building has the same dimensions as the new one it shouldn't mess with "city planning", right? Maybe rip out a wall here and there? Collapsed buildings? 

I think devs might go for such extra stuff in the late stages of development. However, AFAIK Chernarus has quite a bit of such extras. Also Soviet architecture was very generic, so thats how it is. 

In my opinion, the reason why towns feels so generic is that the game is dead. Everyone, well most of those ~60players are camping in those 196square kilometers, not much is happening, players are scattered all across the map, coast towns are empty, there are next to no interactions... 

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, Sqeezorz said:

Boats would be a great thing. Only the question arises where it makes sense to use boats, if it is so that boats can not be carried (is realistic, except a kayak, boats are too heavy).

On the sea: Yes definitely, the sea is big and wide and there are islands that can be reached.

Inland lakes: there are a few lakes big enough to use a boat, but why? for fishing? Honestly, fishing on a lake is a very difficult thing to do ... in a world that is unpredictable. You're the perfect defenseless target of a Lvl.1 sniper. Without targeted mechanics on a lake (net fishing), it makes little sense.

Rivers / streams: they are even worse than the lakes. too small and worthless without meaningful mechanics. Also, you will have no advantage in speed, and waterfalls will stop your way too fast. Therefore the idea with boats sounds good, but the benefit in comparison to the effort (programming), IMO is too low on rivers / streams.

Definitely welcome boats are on the sea (a few more islands in the east, Adam? Wink ;-)) and maybe on larger lakes.

I suppose a use case for inland boats would be hauling stuff up and down river.  But I guess it's more like, if they are already creating the boats to get back and forth to islands, might as well also go up river with them.

Edited by bfisher

On 1/17/2018 at 3:32 PM, Brandon Clinch said:

It's great with water but I'm have seen better to be frank. The flow animation looks outdated and very choppy, don't you think? Perhaps they will work on it some more, I hope so.

Of course they will be continuing to work on it.  This was most likely a preview of the new tech allowing watercourses which still requires more work from the environmental and art teams.

Devs stated items and players dont have physics while in rivers or oceans and wont react to the current.  This is something which I would like to see as it opens up many more aspects of gameplay which uses the environment to the players advantage, or disadvantage.

Edited by gorvi

On 2/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, bfisher said:

I suppose a use case for inland boats would be hauling stuff up and down river.  But I guess it's more like, if they are already creating the boats to get back and forth to islands, might as well also go up river with them.

HAHA we already used trucks for boats... they seemed to go up and down and on top of the world once upon a time :)

• Haha 1