coko23

5 months till the new update? Realy?

4 minutes ago, Yuval said:

Did anything ever come out of "devs saying... <promise x>"?

You can think what you want about the track record, but he wanted an estimate and there we have it.

That said, I personally wish they didn't say it because they're going against their "no dates or roadmaps" from 2016 -- even going as far as making a video about DayZ's future in 2018. But the devs seem to be so confident that they're going all in, and some of that does rub off on me at least. YMMV.

I agree DRM.  They have laid down the law.  We are getting DayZ Beta this year, all the naysayers have permission to hold their whining till December 31, 2018.

• Beans 2

I just stopped by to demand that the devs complete the game by tomorrow.  I have coffee around 6:30 am and I should be ready to play around 7.  I'd like a full kit on my character: BFG5000, helicopter, a fully loaded base near Tisy and a side of fries hold the salt.   Thanks, I'm in a hurry. 

• Haha 4
  • Beans 5

2 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I just stopped by to demand that the devs complete the game by tomorrow.  I have coffee around 6:30 am and I should be ready to play around 7.  I'd like a full kit on my character: BFG5000, helicopter, a fully loaded base near Tisy and a side of fries hold the salt.   Thanks, I'm in a hurry. 

Dude, you forgot about getting them to line up the victims for you to shoot and eat!

• Haha 1

^^ Sure everyone is only like that and all the time, forever, just "I" am not.

I want to prove that i am true fan now. I want to encourage devs not to rush things out. Take a couple more years... why to rush things out in 2018. You have been working so long on this, you have taken massive gambling by choosing some ways, most of them really haven't payed off, 2017 was the worst year for DayZ just because your aim was to have as best result as possible (I suppose), and somehow, strangely resulted in most uninteresting gameplay since the performance became pretty awesome. So perhaps make the performance garbage again, and the game will be exciting again ? lol joke

Just don't rush things out. How is it possible to work on single iteration for whole year, and then push nearly forty of them in less than a year ? Working in weekends, not sleeping and  not taking holidays maybe ?

I know that it is possible to build a house in a few hours if you have crazy good organisation and all the resources. But can you do FORTY iterations in lass than one year, when you do one almost whole year ?  

Thats an iteration every week basicaly (if 0.63 comes really soon), otherwise it will have to be more than one iteration per week. 

Edited by Mantasisg

2 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

I know that it is possible to build a house in a few hours if you have crazy good organisation and all the resources. But can you do FORTY iterations in lass than one year, when you do one almost whole year ?  

Version numbers are arbitrary. They don't have to go through 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, etc., and a dev already said DayZ will go straight from 0.63 to 1.0.

We have a list of features that constitute "1.0." That's all they need to do to get there.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 3

6 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

You're not even going to ask for ketchup to go with your french fries? That's blasphemy! Funny post though, thanks for the laugh.

3 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Version numbers are arbitrary. They don't have to go through 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, etc., and a dev already said DayZ will go straight from 0.63 to 1.0.

We have a list of features that constitute "1.0." That's all they need to do to get there.

So going straight from 0.63 to 1.0 might be done without releasing 0.64-0.99 iterations to public ? 

Hope for pleasant surprises. This must be the toughest game ever to make function as supposed, moreover as there is no clear picture what it is supposed to be, I think. It was proven in the past that it can work. Really looking forward to DayZ standing up from the grave. 

• Beans 1

On 1/17/2018 at 12:57 PM, comikz said:

time and time again I am told or I read, "You're not a programmer"

good summary - how long have you been a game developer?  Players and builders often have a VERY different take on even "minor" gameplay mechanics.

or, put it another way:

1) What is your ideal game? -  name just one single game ( thanx ).

2) Why do you play it, what SPECIFICALLY are it's main points of interest for you (.. take your time with this one! )

3) How many hours playing time do you have with that game?

xxp

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

So going straight from 0.63 to 1.0 might be done without releasing 0.64-0.99 iterations to public ? 

Hope for pleasant surprises. This must be the toughest game ever to make function as supposed, moreover as there is no clear picture what it is supposed to be, I think. It was proven in the past that it can work. Really looking forward to DayZ standing up from the grave. 

Not "might," but "will." 0.64-0.99 won't even exist as far as I can tell because as I said, version numbers are arbitrary. That doesn't mean we won't get any updates after 0.63 comes out. It's not a progress bar, it's just a system used to track builds. Game development isn't linear enough to have something like that, so focusing on the version number isn't supposed to be what's important for anyone.

They could just as well say "We're entering Early Access with DayZ Version 1" and then any update we get on Stable increases that number no matter how small of an update it is. They could use the letters and numbers for the version, or just completely silly names like how Starbound did it. (Starbound Alpha started with version Perturbed Koala and ended after Cheerful Giraffe.)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 3

On 1/16/2018 at 1:52 PM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

The gifs and videos showcasing what is (being) implemented aren't enough of a concrete and visual representation as to how the game is progressing?

The devs saying "0.63 and everything up to 1.0 will happen in 2018" with an attached feature list isn't enough of an estimate about when things are expected to be released?

Not at all considering I could link you some of those “lists” that say how everything is going to be complete ... in 2015 , 2016 and 2017 ... you surely see why we don’t take those silly lists as concrete info , yeah ? 

The dayz devs have simply lost their steam , they are operating at half the speed and passion that they were before , despite saying that patches would be bigger and more content laden now that were closer to beta . Hicks said that, what , 8 months ago and we still have yet to see one patch with content improving the game towards its final goal? They mentioned that big patches would be more spread apart but I hardly think anyone was ready for this long dry spell that seems to be becoming the norm for the dayz devs ; where as before they were taking longer for patches they would at least be talking to us CONSTANTLY on Twitter , forums , showing us new stuff on trello , and now ? All we get is baty chiming in when there’s another useless experimental that no one will play except for those silly die hards ...

We all want to follow this game , but every time we check for info it’s the same sad story : “we’re getting close to beta , here’s a list of bullshit for you to read but we won’t show any more gifs , videos or screenshots of concrete proof we’ll just talk about it as we have for the past year by telling you about how we finally have rivers” . Week after week passes , month after month - what happened to the dayz devs transparency ? Are they now only allowed to talk to the community that supports them (and made this game what it is ) when status reports come ? Which, btw , have been lacking hard the past few months - just regurgitating the same old info in each one. 

All we can say is things have changed with the dayz devs for the worse - and you can’t argue that as a fact - less tRansparency and more regurgitated BS “to keep us busy” is a slap In the face of the community and their intelligence , and always a bad thing , not a good thing - if your devs dont have time anymore to talk to us then fucking hire someone with our money that we poured into your development 4 years ago .

We’re not stupid , we know things can at least be talked about if it’s taking this long .. the fact that everything is being kept tight lipped is either a huge dick move to “pleasantly surprise us” (unlikely at this point) or more likely it’s simply a tell tale sign that things aren’t going as smooth as they present it to be behind the scenes . Let’s hope the devs go back to their roots , because as of this point I can’t respect their decisions to keep so silent , and I definitely can’t play the game with it being broken in many ways (Cle , vehicles fucked on full servers + no one destroying the engines to respawn them , pvp is janky and desync ridden , zombies are a joke , survival is a joke , etc etc).

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, blackberrygoo said:

Not at all considering I could link you some of those “lists” that say how everything is going to be complete ... in 2015 , 2016 and 2017 ... you surely see why we don’t take those silly lists as concrete info , yeah ? 

The dayz devs have simply lost their steam , they are operating at half the speed and passion that they were before , despite saying that patches would be bigger and more content laden now that were closer to beta . Hicks said that, what , 8 months ago and we still have yet to see one patch with content improving the game towards its final goal? They mentioned that big patches would be more spread apart but I hardly think anyone was ready for this long dry spell that seems to be becoming the norm for the dayz devs ; where as before they were taking longer for patches they would at least be talking to us CONSTANTLY on Twitter , forums , showing us new stuff on trello , and now ? All we get is baty chiming in when there’s another useless experimental that no one will play except for those silly die hards ...

We all want to follow this game , but every time we check for info it’s the same sad story : “we’re getting close to beta , here’s a list of bullshit for you to read but we won’t show any more gifs , videos or screenshots of concrete proof we’ll just talk about it as we have for the past year by telling you about how we finally have rivers” . Week after week passes , month after month - what happened to the dayz devs transparency ? Are they now only allowed to talk to the community that supports them (and made this game what it is ) when status reports come ? Which, btw , have been lacking hard the past few months - just regurgitating the same old info in each one. 

All we can say is things have changed with the dayz devs for the worse - and you can’t argue that as a fact - less tRansparency and more regurgitated BS “to keep us busy” is a slap In the face of the community and their intelligence , and always a bad thing , not a good thing - if your devs dont have time anymore to talk to us then fucking hire someone with our money that we poured into your development 4 years ago .

We’re not stupid , we know things can at least be talked about if it’s taking this long .. the fact that everything is being kept tight lipped is either a huge dick move to “pleasantly surprise us” (unlikely at this point) or more likely it’s simply a tell tale sign that things aren’t going as smooth as they present it to be behind the scenes . Let’s hope the devs go back to their roots , because as of this point I can’t respect their decisions to keep so silent , and I definitely can’t play the game with it being broken in many ways (Cle , vehicles fucked on full servers + no one destroying the engines to respawn them , pvp is janky and desync ridden , zombies are a joke , survival is a joke , etc etc).

Dude, just stfu and quit it.  Everything you post is negative and condescending without anything to back up your stupid comments.  

• Beans 1

Say - lets just change the name of the current iteration to < Beta 1.0 > - then everyone can STFU

On 1/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, pilgrim* said:

Say - lets just change the name of the current iteration to < Beta 1.0 > - then everyone can STFU

Don't you mean Alpha 1.0? hehe

On 1/17/2018 at 10:07 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

This wait truly knocked the steam out of me (no pun).

I however, am in this for the long haul (or until I meltdown and get banned).

When I commit to something, and have this deep of faith in something, I stick with it to the bitter end.

I have fantasies of playing a finished DayZ while waxing nostalgic about broken versions gone by.

The degree to which I contributed to experimental and the dialogue around DayZ on this forum makes me feel a personal connection to the work on the game and this is a special experience in itself.

Patience is a virtue, and the virtuous will reap the rewards.

So do you feel any different now after all the grief you given to posters here over the  years about the games development? 

• Beans 1

On 1/22/2018 at 6:19 AM, Guy Smiley said:

Dude, just stfu and quit it.  Everything you post is negative and condescending without anything to back up your stupid comments.  

Yes but the points he makes are true and much better than your comment which is basically  STFU which suggest you have no argument. If that had been a anti DayZ dev comment you would have been given a warning.

Edited by forteantimes23

12 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Don't you mean Alpha 1.0? hehe

call it Tau 46.8 or Stardate 101 - whatever, I don't look at the version numbers a lot, I play the game to find out  how the game-play goes. 

Seems the only REAL vested interest in this subject is someone announced that at version XYZ.0 the game would be opened to modding.

.. so, what I think about version numbers or dates, bub?  - go tell it to the zombies. I like Dayz as a non-standard game and I don't know why <some> players want to turn it into a standard game in ANY way.  People DO SO love "predictability" in all aspects of a game, don't they?   But predictability ain't what we get in real life, is it?  This is something to do with IRL quantum unpredictability versus mystical predestination, right?

if I like it I play it, I don't read the numbers in the corner of the login screen. So I'm a dumb hick -  am I worried?

xxp

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

call it Tau 46.8 or Stardate 101 - whatever, I don't look at the version numbers a lot, I play the game to find out  how the game-play goes. 

Seems the only REAL vested interest in this subject is someone announced that at version XYZ.0 the game would be opened to modding.

.. so, what I think about version numbers or dates, bub?  - go tell it to the zombies. I like Dayz as a non-standard game and I don't know why <some> players want to turn it into a standard game in ANY way.  People DO SO love "predictability" in all aspects of a game, don't they?   But predictability ain't what we get in real life, is it?  This is something to do with IRL quantum unpredictability versus mystical predestination, right?

if I like it I play it, I don't read the numbers in the corner of the login screen. So I'm a dumb hick -  am I worried?

xxp

It isn't about the numbers as much is it hitting Experimental before stable. So calling it beta before it is fully tested, doesn't seem right.  Id rather they keep it at alpha in experimental, then rename it to beta when its ready to hit stable. We have not seen half of what they promise, but i expect in the summer we might start seeing it. Sooner? great but keep it in experimental and dont rename it to hype dayz anymore.... I dont need to keep eating apples and spamming the well any longer?? get my point.

8 hours ago, forteantimes23 said:

So do you feel any different now after all the grief you given to posters here over the  years about the games development? 

Not really.... and who are you exactly? Member since 2016 and you've followed my posts here "for years" or had a different name before, or just a lurker perhaps? Essentially contributing nothing...

I have only given grief to those who I felt deserved it.

I have more often tried to offer help or inform fellow forum members and have contributed regularly to the experimental branch when that was getting regular updates.

I have expressed doubts and made a point to criticize development choices I did not agree with in the past, and I can admit here that I was disappointed with no Beta in 2017.

I want to believe that patience and dedication will pay off, even for the biggest detractors of DayZ, they too will likely enjoy the finished product when it's ready.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

.... and who are you exactly? Member since 2016 and you've followed my posts here "for years" or had a different name before, or just a lurker perhaps? Essentially contributing nothing...

Lol. Nobody mess with biohaze. He's a pretty big wheel round these parts. 

Edited by Baker.
  • Beans 1

12 hours ago, forteantimes23 said:

Yes but the points he makes are true and much better than your comment which is basically  STFU which suggest you have no argument. If that had been a anti DayZ dev comment you would have been given a warning.

None of his points are true.  He regurgitates the exact same comments in every thread regarding development.   I'm not happy with the development time but I also understand the big change with moving to another engine.  Heck, I'm even playing some alpha's that came out around the same time as DayZ with some of them completely abandoned by development.   

This 

On 1/21/2018 at 8:32 AM, blackberrygoo said:

they are operating at half the speed and passion that they were before “we’re getting close to beta ,

here’s a list of bullshit for you to read but we won’t show any more gifs ,

Is all nonsense

• Beans 3

Not 1 of us are behind the scenes so how do we know what the devs are doing. I gotta agree with Guy Smiley there, its all nonsense... Lack of knowing is just another fear, and negative review.

The only thing it is doing is taking forever to play a cool game... that's it. Id rather wait then having a character glitch out anymore.

All hogwash....

Time will answer everything. Time of the past has already suggested a lot, and to ignore that would be stupid.

However, there are usually plenty of people who are never able to see the past.

“You have to know the past to understand the present.” Carl Sagan. I'd add future too.

• Beans 1

54 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

“You have to know the past to understand the present.” Carl Sagan. I'd add future too.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  George Santayana.   Certainly true of this blog

• Beans 1