Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

This map sucks!

Said no one ever. 

Honestly, can anyone propose a more organic and fleshed out playable area in any game ever? The Witcher 3 comes close I feel but the amount of work and detail put into this map is astonishing. I spent a lot of time doing map additions to vanilla Chenarus for my mod servers and I cannot fathom the amount of dedication it took to get the map where it is today. Great job people. 

• Beans 5

Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 4.

Chernarus is a huge map, but it's not that complex ( 20% plain fields, 60% forests, 20% towns ), but very well made.
The thing is that Chernarus based on real life Czech which is alot harder to make, in games like GTA/Fallout most stuff can be just randomly generated and later adjusted/fixed.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

43 minutes ago, exacomvm said:

Chernarus is a huge map, but it's not that complex ( 20% plain fields, 60% forests, 20% towns ), but very well made.
The thing is that Chernarus based on real life Czech which is alot harder to make, in games like GTA/Fallout most stuff can be just randomly generated and later adjusted/fixed.

In GTA's case, 99% of the buildings are not accessible 

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, exacomvm said:

A great map and an Ok map, still doesn't take the GOAT. I would say skyrim is also up there.

• Beans 1

Skyrim is a good map compared to Chernarus, both in size and in style. Nevertheless, the details found in the world of Chernarus will make you look in vain for Skyrim. Skyrim consists of a landscape which is peppered with POI (Points of interest) besides there is only landscape with rocks, meadows and forests. Chernarus, on the other hand, has so many interesting little things to discover. You walk through the forest, and suddenly you see a cross ... or a picnic spot with garbage. Chernarus is interesting even where nothing is expected. That's what I admire about this card ... the little things, and the desingners are still working on them, so there's more to discover with the new west and all the trails.

• Beans 2

Yeah, I agree on this beautiful Chernarus map. I guess there's this thing with map sizes for some time now. I've seen that clip on youtube where someone compared the map sizes in bunch of games and Chernarus was pretty much up there on the list.  Anyway, these are all games after all,  and having fun while playing and exploring is one of the most important things for a game. I enjoyed all of these games. If you go for realistic or immerrrrrrsive (oh boy, what a trendy word) type of gameplay, I think it's best if map scaling follows that route too which is very hard. For GTA V, Skyrim and Fallout, the devs opted for somewhat scaled down and dense versions with more detail, locations and content which still makes them big games. Concerning map size of Chernarus, as well as design time and technology limits we have currently, I really never saw the reason for implementing choppers and planes for this kind of survival gameplay - stuck in an area. Having road vehicles was more then enough so far, in my opinion. MAYBE something like crafted gyro-copter we saw in Mad Max 2 movie, that couldn't go very high and far anyway. What I'd be really happy to see is more maps for Dayz one day or at least Chernarus expanded.

• Beans 1

Clickbait lol

But I agree, it is possibly the best map ever. But is it playable,in other words - is it the best in terms how it merges with gameplay ? 

I really don't think so. Mostly because its size. It is definitely too large for a game where vehicles are really really rare, or/and doesn't work well. Too large for a game which fits way less than hundred players. Too large because devs wants you to really use it all, by nearly disabling loot in the coasts. Too large to get a proper interactions happening frequently, which is why I got interested in DayZ - thats gone. 

I also want to point out that I really loved the old Novo :) It was the best place. Also trees LOD'ing has to be fixed. Also doesn't feel like vertical aka 3D grass works as a cover, ever.

Probably will be superb in 0.9 iteration.

@cirkular 

If the devs regulate the speeds of the aircrafts, I see no problem with the introduction. The little bird has a max speed of 230 km / h (max in optimal condition, something we will not see in Chernarus anymore "optimal") so I see a little bird with max 150 km / h and the "crop duster" with 180 km / h. That's almost what the sedan could do ... just without using the road. I imagine, however, that it will not be so safe to use an airplane ... more weapons will come.

Yeah, but it's not just the speed. You will easily get to the invisible limits of the map or that empty area which sucks, and what then?

1 hour ago, cirkular said:

Yeah, but it's not just the speed. You will easily get to the invisible limits of the map or that empty area which sucks, and what then?

Just keep going.

Vyryj9L.jpg?1

• Haha 1
  • Beans 2

Cirkular lol just travel in circles lol wut

Sum ppl R using DayZ as travel simul8or 4real

#yousmartyouloyal

• Haha 1

I wonder what happened to SenChi.  I dont see him around these parts anymore.  That dude was really talented with maps.  I fell in love with his work on Iron Front (which is also where I initially met Orlok).  Those were the days.

• Beans 1

Maybe he found himself having a family one day ? :D

Same could be applied to us in future in terms of playing DayZ. 

21 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

Maybe he found himself having a family one day ? :D

That boat sailed for me at least a decade ago.

• Beans 1

35 minutes ago, klesh said:

That boat sailed for me at least a decade ago.

tyaDqeo.jpg

• Like 1