Buakaw

Basebuilding

8 hours ago, DannyDog said:

I really wish environmental assets like furniture were individual objects in-game because it'll be super awesome to be able to take furniture out from houses and place them in your base. AFAIK they aren't objects that can individually be spawned in and are part of the structures they belong to which is why they cannot do randomizing building interiors. q_q

They could randomize building interiors :P sort of. They would just have to create like a dozen different layouts and create a different asset for each, then let rng choose the version upon placing the asset (the house).

1 hour ago, Buakaw said:

They could randomize building interiors :P sort of. They would just have to create like a dozen different layouts and create a different asset for each, then let rng choose the version upon placing the asset (the house).

That would be very inefficient and not scalable for future maps :/

It would be better to have a system that can "spawn" furniture and interiors. This would be even more interesting if this interior / furniture was used as a source of material for crafting materials, or have a use (bed or chair to rest, rest should have a positive effect on healing / regeneration & fatigue).

• Beans 1

Building a base always resulted in frustration for me. Sooner or later it would get raided, whatsoever. Even if the game stated that it was impossible, with locks, gates and barriers. Some git would come around and find a way. Better to scatter some well hidden tents around the map, maybe 5 or 6. They will be discovered eventually, so you switch to your fallback. I even set up obvious honeypots, so the real deal nearby was overlooked. I heavily relied on this strategy in the old mod days and it never failed me.

I know the feature was already postponed until after release, but other than traps and other deterrents, Animal companions would make a great addition to player bases.  Not only for protection, but for farming and such as well.

• Beans 1

27 minutes ago, gorvi said:

I know the feature was already postponed until after release, but other than traps and other deterrents, Animal companions would make a great addition to player bases.  Not only for protection, but for farming and such as well.

Guard dogs would be pretty sweet.

• Beans 1

2 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Guard dogs would be pretty sweet.

Guard infected would be pretty cool as well.  Something along the lines of a trap being triggered which releases caged infected into the base.

Incendiary traps would be nice too.  Something which torches your base if an invading player triggers it.

• Beans 2

2 minutes ago, gorvi said:

Guard infected would be pretty cool as well.  Something along the lines of a trap being triggered which releases caged infected into the base.

Incendiary traps would be nice too.  Something which torches your base if an invading player triggers it.

I like your thinking :)

15 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

I like your thinking :)

It doesn't end there.

Since there will be loud speakers/megaphones in the game another possibility will be an alarm which might have the chance of attracting nearby infected.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

On 2/7/2018 at 3:29 PM, gorvi said:

It doesn't end there.

Since there will be loud speakers/megaphones in the game another possibility will be an alarm which might have the chance of attracting nearby infected.

That reminds me of an idea I had ages ago for an improvised alarm as part of a mod.

First, you need a wrench and a police car wreck, and remove the police siren. A car like that would probably still be using an electrically powered mechanical siren (like this). Easy to remove, easy to wire up to a trigger (a tripwire, a door, etc) and a car battery, and would create a nonstop, deafening scream until disconnected, and could be heard from the furthest distance possible. With the electrical wires that are coming with basebuilding, the siren and battery could be in a different part of the base (perhaps even a separate locked room), which means it may take a minute to be able to stop it.

Scripting it should be fairly straightforward, with the trigger tied to the tripwire or the door's open/closed state. Since the door state randomization thing on server restarts could accidentally  trigger the alarm, such a door would have to be locked to prevent that (the door state thing likely won't apply to player-made structures, this would only be a concern if the base is incorporated to a pre-existing structure, and uses one of it's doors)

Edited by chambersenator
  • Beans 1

On 12.1.2018 at 4:16 PM, comikz said:

Hopefully there will be defenses put in place to help against off-line raiding, such as barbed wire/turrets/pit falls/mines ect.

Most likely, there have already been iterations where we had wire traps and mines.

But I highly doubt there will be any automated defense, like turrets. Maybe a dog collar and a post, so we can have a our favorite infected guarding the base.

Pitfalls filled with zombies/spikes would be great but I doubt we will be able to dig any holes into the ground.

Edited by benedictus
  • Beans 1

17 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

-

Ending on the video doesn't make sense. The moment modding comes out that whole point is invalid even though it seems like it's the main point of the video. 

I mean, I'm not trying to defend anything or anyone here, but most of those "dayz is dead, the day dayz died, etc"  videos are rather clickbaits than objective views of the game.

Edited by benedictus
  • Beans 1

The video definitely starts clickbaity, he doesn't even give a date. :(

Past that he makes some perfectly valid points but he also ends with a straw man argument at 23:35 when he says "the devs only cater to one playstyle and don't understand that different players have different preferences." That's not the issue. Like Benedictus said, the issue is that SA doesn't have modding support yet (but it has been confirmed since the beginning). The base building system and everything involved with it won't be the same as they are in ARMA either.

It's also pretty difficult to explain to people that when a game is in development, so many things are constantly changing behind the scenes that creating something as complex or all-encompassing as modding support is very hard to maintain if you do it too early, like before the transition from SQF to EnScript. I wouldn't want to imagine the time spent on making sure modding didn't break and providing support/documentation for it throughout development or the quality of that documentation. (Actually I don't have to imagine it because I've experienced being on the receiving end of that first-hand.)

Heck, as a relevant example, even something as seemingly simple as "just adding some roads" to the map had to wait because it was "too early."

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 1

I do agree with the video to some extent. Given that it is prior to exactly when the devs intended to recreate a new engine platform for dayz and future games to work on. Supporting more ai and Modding. End game can be created by modding, and or change the point of view. One thing that clearly does make sense to me is dayz did turn us against each other because it took so long to recreate the engine to support more features. Meaning that forums, game play and general waiting until its finished has turned the community towards bickering, tolerance levels and simply walking away. I must agree that video makes more sense then lead on to believe. Arma for some did create a whole new story line. Even arma 3 was elite for that experience. I want a similar experience in dayz SA.

Maybe modding will help maybe it won't. But to the basic level everything should be approachable in the standard game. 

Video is just a little bit clickbaity, but what is not these days... even news are using clickbaity headlines... 

For me "the day" was soon after 0.6 hit stable, perhaps even before that, while it was in exp. branch. I felt just like the game lost the juice one day and thats it...

I think "the day dayZ died" is different to everyone, deppending on what has changed at what time... Either someone ran out of patience waiting for features (like basebuilding), favorite server died, friends stopped playing, loot economy became unenjoyable, coast became empty, interactions became too rare and so on and on... 

We have some guys there who still feel like it is still alive. Maybe some will feel like the game has died as others will feel like it is being revived. Personally, I have no expectations. 

On 2/15/2018 at 9:33 PM, Mantasisg said:

The guy only recently started up his channel. Not a bad topics choice for likes and subscriptions: Fallout 4 and Dayz (is dead) rants.

If you reduce that to likes and subscribtions....

You know what... internet is dead. It used to be awesome 10 years ago, when mediocore people wasn't used for it yet.

And now it is only likes and shares and views... how pathetic. 

What about thoughts and the quality ?

Here is a random picture of Laika for likes

59fb35cffc7e93f7028b456a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

^

: internet two mass market : lowest common denominator :

zk6bna.jpgmost folk don't care but some do

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 9:33 AM, pilgrim* said:

^

: internet two mass market : lowest common denominator :

zk6bna.jpgmost folk don't care but some do

Cant help myself but think of a jack in the box. or a mixed bag of marbles. Riddles what keep me going.

• Beans 1