Dennis L. Ayers

Rain revamp

I would like to suggest a revamp of the getting wet idea. I know it is possible for hyperthermia etc due to long exposure to cold and wet etc. But I feel the balance is way off.. ie. I get wet and within an hour or so I have hypothermia and am dead? I mean people do survive getting wet! And it takes away from gameplay. It makes me want to just jump to another server to avoid getting wet, then having to get fire materials, start a fire, and what? Wait all day in a building for the rain to stop? That is fun?
It needs to be better balanced and not so ridiculous! I like being in the rain and exploring etc? Am I missing something.. I just think rain is such a game killer!
Maybe after staying wet for an entire evening? Or implement a temperature system to display a warning etc? I don't really know the exact way to fix this but it needs to be addressed because as is... is not good. What are your suggestions, or advice to help me deal with this rain?

Get a fireman jacket or a rain coat  or a Gorka jacket  they will keep you dry.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
  • Like 2
  • Beans 2

I think all clothes should be varying degrees of waterproof. In just a t-shirt, yeah, you should get drenched pretty quickly, but if you're wearing a hoodie or a quilted jacket or something you should be able to manage at least a few minutes in the rain before having to dry off. I'd also say that there should be no 100% waterproof clothing, but rain coats and Gorka jackets should still keep you dry for a good long while.

• Beans 1

34 minutes ago, BeefBacon said:

I think all clothes should be varying degrees of waterproof. In just a t-shirt, yeah, you should get drenched pretty quickly, but if you're wearing a hoodie or a quilted jacket or something you should be able to manage at least a few minutes in the rain before having to dry off. I'd also say that there should be no 100% waterproof clothing, but rain coats and Gorka jackets should still keep you dry for a good long while.

That would make sense :)

Some sort of "Rainproofvalue=" that can be set to more than 0/1. Ofc for all I know it's already that way, but some adjustments would certainly fit and still make weather an issue.

I agree with all the previous speakers. i would even extend the system ... the condition of the clothes also has an influence. So, a pristine huddy protects you as well as a damaged rain jacket. Also, it would be realistic if clothes slowly break, if you crawl and roll. (Robust clothes, of course, less fast than jeans or gym shorts.)

• Beans 1

Raincoat - but also plastic sheet, or groundsheet + any kind of headcover should keep you functionally dry - BUT these should go OVER the top of  whatever you are already wearing, you should not have to EXCHANGE them for your jacket  - This is realistic,  everyone has seen photos of troops wearing groundsheets over their heads or wrapped around their bodies, etc. right??  In rain or snow, no one takes off any top clothes to put on a waterproof or raincoat or poncho.
     (all these things are standard army issue, every military in the world has them)

Also BLANKETS can be used for many things, as well as keeping you warm, for shelter, ponchos (again), making backpacks, but there are NO blankets in the whole country !!  All those houses, but zero blankets = this is one very STRANGE European country.  NO blankets?

Already a while ago it was mooted that boots and shoes should wear out progressively (-slowly-) as you walked - but that never showed up in the game. 

xxp

On 1/5/2018 at 2:35 AM, Dennis L. Ayers said:

..//.. Am I missing something.. I just think rain is such a game killer!
What are your suggestions, or advice to help me deal with this rain?..//..

Get under a tree - not too close and not too far away, about a step away from the trunk ;  and make a simple fire with sticks ("search for sticks"), NOT logs or stones etc - make firestarter - start fire - DROP ALL your gear & clothes on the ground - every bit,  just DROP it - until you are naked.  Keep picking up sticks and feeding the fire (crouch close to fire) you begin to warm up until you are DRY.  Just keep turning and search for sticks without moving from place, turn and feed them on the fire - The trick is = As soon as YOU are dry all your gear on the ground is DRY TOO, you can put it back on. 

(but hey - don't do this anywhere you're likely to meet anyone)

On 1/5/2018 at 2:35 AM, Dennis L. Ayers said:

I would like to suggest a revamp of the getting wet idea. I know it is possible for hyperthermia etc due to long exposure to cold and wet etc. But I feel the balance is way off.. ie. I get wet and within an hour or so I have hypothermia and am dead? I mean people do survive getting wet! And it takes away from gameplay. It makes me want to just jump to another server to avoid getting wet, then having to get fire materials, start a fire, and what? Wait all day in a building for the rain to stop? That is fun?
It needs to be better balanced and not so ridiculous! I like being in the rain and exploring etc? Am I missing something.. I just think rain is such a game killer!
Maybe after staying wet for an entire evening? Or implement a temperature system to display a warning etc? I don't really know the exact way to fix this but it needs to be addressed because as is... is not good. What are your suggestions, or advice to help me deal with this rain?

Well getting wet in cold temperatures (and very windy at that) will see your body temperature drop quickly.

So it's not really that far fetched.

The game should have more of these threats to your survival IMO because right now it is not really a challenge to survive.

With that said you could just throw on a raincoat and carry on doing whatever you like really.

Does it rain EVERY day in DayZ ??? It is getting ridiculous again. Every time I log on it is raining???
Need some sunshine ya all!