zigglr

Has hacking been fixed on DayZ standalone?

Meaning, is it now very rare to find someone hacking, or are people still able to do it easily?

I would say that hacking is still an issue, it's not as big of an issue as it once was, but you will still come across that random player teleporting around, ect.

I don't meet any hackers on private hives, probably because of low player counts too

Edited by Pyongo Bongo

High Pop servers get them from time to time. Mostly ESP hacks. There will be a squad, one guy will have esp. its pretty easy to spot of you've been playing arma/dayz for a long time. 

Hackers go where the action is. And thank Jesus for PUBG cause most of the script kiddies have moved onto that. 

Edited by Baker.
  • Beans 2

Wasn't one of the major points of the enfusion engine to remove the client side things that allowed hacking to be so easy in the mod?  Did it not work?

Honest question, I'm not a programmer.

• Like 1

It was announced to the Dev (Eugene?) In a SR that the new "complete Enfusion Engine" will perform a server-side control over actions of the clients. (It's supposed to help against cheating, but there are no exact details, I think it covers topics like: Duping / Teleporting / Speedhacks / Godmods or Aimbots).

REM I am not a programmer ^^ ... just a logician

EOF

1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

It was announced to the Dev (Eugene?) In a SR that the new "complete Enfusion Engine" will perform a server-side control over actions of the clients. (It's supposed to help against cheating, but there are no exact details, I think it covers topics like: Duping / Teleporting / Speedhacks / Godmods or Aimbots).

REM I am not a programmer ^^ ... just a logician

EOF

The game is already "server-authoritative," meaning the server is in charge of most things (unlike in ARMA where the client tells the server what's going on), but not enough things are that hacking would be very hard or almost impossible.

An example of a game that I can think of where so much is server-side that hacking is almost impossible would be League of Legends.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Keep in mind that this video was published Sept. 21 2015 

Edited by robbyj

On 1/5/2018 at 12:56 PM, klesh said:

Wasn't one of the major points of the enfusion engine to remove the client side things that allowed hacking to be so easy in the mod?  Did it not work?

Honest question, I'm not a programmer.

Good question. I thought the network bubble was supposed to prevent hacking or am I mistaken? I do remember Dean said they had something to prevent hacking and that was before Enfusion was even a thing when they were on the old Take on Helicopters engine.

1 hour ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Good question. I thought the network bubble was supposed to prevent hacking or am I mistaken? I do remember Dean said they had something to prevent hacking and that was before Enfusion was even a thing when they were on the old Take on Helicopters engine.

Nobody (in the dev team) has claimed the "network bubble" would prevent hacking, and it would make no sense considering what it actually is.

What it is, and why it's called that, is just the range in which your client receives information about the world from the server.

If your draw distance is 10'000 meters and the network bubble (which cannot be changed by players) is 1000 meters, you will see no life outside of 1000 meters. You will be able to see static objects like trees and houses, but not players, loot, or tents. Not even hackers can see outside of the network bubble, but it does not prevent hacking by itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

and in the end you'll never get rid of them 100%, trick is ofc to make it as painful as possible for them so we at least get rid of the majority.

A status report reported that the new network between client and server was created in such a way that the server checks certain "options" for actions. This should stop things like speedhacks, and duping.

(I trust the private hives with WL in case of doubt).

On 2/5/2018 at 2:17 PM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Nobody (in the dev team) has claimed the "network bubble" would prevent hacking, and it would make no sense considering what it actually is.

What it is, and why it's called that, is just the range in which your client receives information about the world from the server.

If your draw distance is 10'000 meters and the network bubble (which cannot be changed by players) is 1000 meters, you will see no life outside of 1000 meters. You will be able to see static objects like trees and houses, but not players, loot, or tents. Not even hackers can see outside of the network bubble, but it does not prevent hacking by itself.

That was my mistake. I meant the 'server-client architecture'. I apologize for the error.

“The last remaining chunk before we do the alpha is the server client architecture,” Hall explains. “What that does is move DayZ from using the Arma 2 engine to essentially just sending your keystrokes to the server. Your client does virtually nothing. That helps with client performance and it also virtually eliminates all serious hacking. The only hacking that can then occur is like aimbotting... we have Valve anti cheat for stuff like that.”

-Dean Hall

SOURCE: https://www.pcgamesn.com/audience-dean-hall-dayz-fuck-you-everyone-who-said-modding-wasnt-important

I still have a few questions if you don't mind?

1. Why didin't the server client architecture work like it was intended to with hackers? There was hacking very early on and still the hacks are floating around. Public hacks are indeed quelled, but private hacks are out and about.

2. Valve has a visible indicator of someone that's gotten hacked which is present on their Steam profile, DayZ doesn't. Server administrators and server owners have no idea who has a BattlEye ban and who doesn't in DayZ Standalone. PUBG for instance, BattlEye bans appear as Game Bans on their steam accounts, fully visible like VAC bans are. Why is BI not visualizing hackers on Steam?

3. Why are hacked servers allowed to run openly on Steam still to this day as I type these letters? Not only are the hacked servers up and running through Steam, but they're also monetized visibly on their website. Just seems weird to me.

Thank you for your time...

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

On 2/18/2018 at 6:55 PM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

1. Why didn't the server client architecture work like it was intended to with hackers? There was hacking very early on and still the hacks are floating around. Public hacks are indeed quelled, but private hacks are out and about.

2. Valve has a visible indicator of someone that's gotten hacked which is present on their Steam profile, DayZ doesn't. Server administrators and server owners have no idea who has a BattlEye ban and who doesn't in DayZ Standalone. PUBG for instance, BattlEye bans appear as Game Bans on their steam accounts, fully visible like VAC bans are. Why is BI not visualizing hackers on Steam?

Snipped the quote for length since I have little to say on the rest.
And just to point out, I'm not a DayZ dev or someone with insider info. I'm just a nobody moderator with some indie dev experience.

1. Lots of probable reasons that would require a lot of unpacking/explaining so but the TLDW(rite) is "I don't know."
Dean's statement isn't wrong as far as the possibility goes. Like I said in an earlier post, League of Legends has done exactly what Dean said. One thing that's definitely worth pointing out is that "server-client architecture" is incredibly common. CSGO for example has it, and it's definitely not hacker-proof despite all the time and money Valve has had. (Not that money makes a difference.) I would say it's the most common type of architecture used in multiplayer games with dedicated servers.

2. DayZ uses VAC, BattlEye, and Game Bans. 
Game Bans are completely separate from Global Bans by BattlEye. They're done by manually reporting players to Valve. The BE bans are also shared with ARMA 3(and 2?).

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2018 at 2:21 PM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

2. DayZ uses VAC, BattlEye, and Game Bans. 
Game Bans are completely separate from Global Bans by BattlEye. They're done by manually reporting players to Valve. The BE bans are also shared with ARMA 3(and 2?).

Are you sure DayZ Standalone issues VAC and Game Bans? We've got the biggest ban list of any server (almost 8k now) and we talk to quite a bit of banned players in our ban appeal section (we don't allow any bans on our servers and have staff checking players on our servers daily) and never once have we heard someone say they got a VAC or Game Ban from DayZ. Not saying it isn't happening, just figured we would have gotten someone by now (3 years in SA and 1+ years in the mod running DayZ servers) with one. It's usually CSGO, PUBG, or some version of COD where they got their VAC or Game Ban from.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate that!

2 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Are you sure DayZ Standalone issues VAC and Game Bans? We've got the biggest ban list of any server (almost 8k now) and we talk to quite a bit of banned players in our ban appeal section (we don't allow any bans on our servers and have staff checking players on our servers daily) and never once have we heard someone say they got a VAC or Game Ban from DayZ. Not saying it isn't happening, just figured we would have gotten someone by now (3 years in SA and 1+ years in the mod running DayZ servers) with one. It's usually CSGO, PUBG, or some version of COD where they got their VAC or Game Ban from.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate that!

100% sure. VAC is listed on the store page and I know the ban message you get when banned, and as a moderator on Steam I've seen many examples of game bans because people post about it and there are accounts with only DayZ and a game ban on them. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2018 at 5:55 PM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

3. Why are hacked servers allowed to run openly on Steam still to this day as I type these letters? Not only are the hacked servers up and running through Steam, but they're also monetized visibly on their website. Just seems weird to me.

Hey, we are always monitoring servers that are breaking the rules. If you are concerned, that we are not taking any actions against particular server, feel free to submit it to feedback tracker and our Infringements department will look into it. Just don't forget, that closing servers isn't an instant action, since we have to make sure everything is really legitimate. I hope this answers your question :)

Also people keep thinking that BE bans in waves, this is not true at all its constant. Devs at BE addressed this in a email to me prior to stomp those rumors out. Cheats are created all the time, and BE updates all the time. It is only 1 measure in a list of many the BI are working with BE on. So BE bans are usually when a cheat goes viral and people start to purchase it. Little do they know Poof, cya account. Don't be fooled that those servers wont get you instant banned either.... I do not work for BI but all those years in gaming you tend to know your stuff. Just dont be on the end of the ban stick, your account looks like crap to recruiting clans etc... they do not take you serious.

I never see hackers in standalone. Maybe I'm just vague...actually I'm definitely vague but I really never see them...ever. And yeah DayZ mod was so infested with hackers it was almost unplayable...

• Beans 1

On 2/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, Bestius said:

Hey, we are always monitoring servers that are breaking the rules. If you are concerned, that we are not taking any actions against particular server, feel free to submit it to feedback tracker and our Infringements department will look into it. Just don't forget, that closing servers isn't an instant action, since we have to make sure everything is really legitimate. I hope this answers your question :)

I already did that and got a response saying they're having a problem shutting it down. Why can't a call be placed to Valve saying we need to block such and such an IP from the server list?

On 1/5/2018 at 8:20 AM, comikz said:

I would say that hacking is still an issue, it's not as big of an issue as it once was, but you will still come across that random player teleporting around, ect.

Yes, in my experience this is very much the case. The situation seems better than it use to be years ago, however I only play mostly on private hives.

On 1/5/2018 at 10:00 PM, Pyongo Bongo said:

I don't meet any hackers on private hives, probably because of low player counts too

Im much the same.. i dont even remember the last time i seen a hacker but i always try to stick to private hives also but like i said above i think the hack situation is better than it was a while ago.