Dancing.Russian.Man

Magic The Gathering is a game, right?

Back in high school, only reason I played is my friends forced me to. Had a deck that had three old armageddon cards, every time I would play it, they would get pissed and quit. Finally one day they asked why I kept playing the card, my answer was " because you forced me to play this game I didn't want to in the first place ".

The game was later banned in school as it was viewed as gambling, in short, the game is a money sink and pure cancer, get out while you can.

35 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

Back in high school, only reason I played is my friends forced me to. Had a deck that had three old armageddon cards, every time I would play it, they would get pissed and quit. Finally one day they asked why I kept playing the card, my answer was " because you forced me to play this game I didn't want to in the first place ".

The game was later banned in school as it was viewed as gambling, in short, the game is a money sink and pure cancer, get out while you can.

You're a monster. I like you. And you're right, the game can be a huge money sink and requires a bit of commitment (financial and time) depending on where you are and what formats you play, but I wouldn't call it gambling. Boosters? Sure, whatever. But you don't have to buy boosters.

I've built two 100-card decks for Commander in roughly 6-8 months of playing about once a week and haven't bought a single booster. I just ask "can I see your trades?" from other players, spend some time browsing and price checking, and leave with just the cards I need for pennies. Of course there's exceptions, sometimes a card is worth multiple boosters, but you'd spend a lot more if you tried to get it from a booster assuming that card is even in the current sets (which is relatively unlikely).

Also about Commander, it's pretty different from the rest of MTG since 1) it's a multiplayer format, 2) you can only have one copy of any card in the deck, 3) there is no "legal set" rotation, you can play any card forever that isn't specifically banned. So it's both social and you don't have to keep buying new cards when the old sets stop being legal.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

1 minute ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

You're a monster. I like you. And you're right, the game can be a huge money sink and requires a bit of commitment (financial and time) depending on where you are and what formats you play, but I wouldn't call it gambling. Boosters? Sure, whatever. But you don't have to buy boosters.

I've built two 100-card decks for Commander in roughly 6-7 months of playing about once a week and haven't bought a single booster. I just ask "can I see your trades?" from other players, spend some time browsing and price checking, and leave with just the cards I need for pennies. Of course there's exceptions, sometimes a card is worth multiple boosters, but you'd spend a lot more if you tried to get it from a booster assuming that card is even in the current sets.

Well, remember, I started when the game first came out, so a LOT of cards were broken. As far as gambling, at least at the high schools down here, players made a rule where the winner got to keep one of the losers cards. So, as you well stated, as the monster I am and was, the biggest card fiend at the school challenged me, and told me if I used my armageddon cards he would fight me. Well, as 17 year old Creeper, I stood six foot, 250 pounds, and most of it was muscle, as I slammed down the card on the table, wiping his mana pool, his butt was barely out of the seat by the time I grabbed him. That was the end of magic in my school. I warned people I didn't want to play, I warned them I would build a broken deck, and I warned them, if it became with in my ability to get the game banned, I would.

Now all this aside, if you have fun with it, go for it, just know the perils and pittfalls of the game.

Best of luck,

Creeper

p.s.: please don't challenge me, I still have my deck in my foot locker

25 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

-snip for length-

p.s.: please don't challenge me, I still have my deck in my foot locker

That's pretty self-aggrandizing. Sounds like you're still not over it but secretly want to play anyway.

What I would recommend for you is playing one of these first so your own lands (or anything else) aren't destroyed.

1 minute ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

That's pretty self-aggrandizing. Sounds like you're still not over it but secretly want to play anyway.

What I would recommend for you is playing one of these first so your own lands (or anything else) aren't destroyed.

As stated before, I played when the game first came out, I would be woefully unprepared for modern cards. Would not be one bit surprised that cards like that came out because people like me. Though now that I know those cards exist, mine can sit and rot peacefully in my foot locker.

10 minutes ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

As stated before, I played when the game first came out, I would be woefully unprepared for modern cards. Would not be one bit surprised that cards like that came out because people like me. Though now that I know those cards exist, mine can sit and rot peacefully in my foot locker.

If that's accurate, you should at least spend the time to check what your cards are worth. If you actually have multiples of the original Armageddon card, they're worth hundreds each.

Just now, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

If that's accurate, you should at least spend the time to check what your cards are worth. If you actually have multiples of the original Armageddon card, they're worth hundreds each.

Next time I swing by the storage unit I will have to check on them.

I used to love Magic. Stopped playing due to the expense. Sold my cards and made 10% of my investment back. 10 years later started playing MTGO. Same exact shit happened.

I love the game but their core monetization loop killed me.

6 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

I used to love Magic. Stopped playing due to the expense. Sold my cards and made 10% of my investment back. 10 years later started playing MTGO. Same exact shit happened.

I love the game but their core monetization loop killed me.

The only thing I play in MTGO is the Penny Dreadful format because the entire point of it is to get rid of the expense.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

I played this game for a long time, went across the country to play tournaments, participated in PTQs and Vintage tournaments.  Great fun, lots of nerds, lots of money.

If you have cards from Alpha, Beta, or Unlimited (1992-1995ish) then you're sitting on a mountain of cash. For example, a fair condition Power card from Alpha/Beta can easily sell for thousands of dollars each.  If you bought a ton of cards 'back in the day' and didn't make a fistful of cash then you did it wrong.

6 hours ago, Parazight said:

I played this game for a long time, went across the country to play tournaments, participated in PTQs and Vintage tournaments.  Great fun, lots of nerds, lots of money.

If you have cards from Alpha, Beta, or Unlimited (1992-1995ish) then you're sitting on a mountain of cash. For example, a fair condition Power card from Alpha/Beta can easily sell for thousands of dollars each.  If you bought a ton of cards 'back in the day' and didn't make a fistful of cash then you did it wrong.

I recently found a random pack of ~60 cards from 1995-1997 (There were no lands so it wasn't a deck.) and got so excited until I started browsing through them.

2-3 cards were above 10 cents and 2-3 cards were even slightly useful, namely Kjeldoran Dead and Casting of Bones.