GunnyITA

DAYZ Status from a famous Youtube blogger

9 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Lets not forget it isn't a team comprising of 80-90 programmers. You have about 20-40 QA testers, art and sound designers, business managers, brand managers, pr and more that don't explicitly work on the engine.

Eugen said that statistic also comprises of external sources too. Not entirely sure what that means but it could be things like outsourcing art assets and what not.

pr and brand and advertising needs PUSHING.. we all know how much total <cr@p> makes millions because the advertising is over 30+ percent of the total budget - That's how it works (right Walt?)

But props and gratz to those  fantastic dedicated BI technicians who endlessly change hot valves on the AI

Edited by pilgrim*
~

4 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Lets not forget it isn't a team comprising of 80-90 programmers. You have about 20-40 QA testers, art and sound designers, business managers, brand managers, pr and more that don't explicitly work on the engine.

Eugen said that statistic also comprises of external sources too. Not entirely sure what that means but it could be things like outsourcing art assets and what not.

RUST has 12 people.

4 hours ago, comikz said:

RUST has 12 people.

Facepunch Studios has 20 full-time employees working directly only on Rust at last count - not including planning, direction, PR, management, or other staff part-timing other projects plus staff full time on other projects(.. just saying).

... Also RUST is really not my choice of game, not even slightly. It is a thoughtless good time game for shouty kids - like those jungle gyms you leave your children in at the McDo

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Beans 1

7 hours ago, comikz said:

They have a team of 70 to 80 people working on this game, it's no wonder people think they're being lazy and it's taking a long time, that's a lot of people working on this one game no matter how you look at it.

According to Q&A videos from last year, about 15 engine programmers (not sure if there are gameplay programmers separately), about 50 QA, and the rest. (project lead, producers, designers, artists, console teams, etc.)

It does sound like a lot when you just say some ambiguous number and leave it at that.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 2

4 hours ago, comikz said:

RUST has 12 people.

Please don't make shit up

Edited by Guy Smiley

6 hours ago, comikz said:

RUST has 12 people.

Rust isnt developing their own engine. 

23 hours ago, DannyDog said:

I'm not arguing that they made promises, but rather not give us enough information on their progress on .63 and how close it is to release. No definite "checklist" of things to be completed for .63 which led the community to inevitably decipher it by the way the devs word their status reports or tweet about .63 on twitter. I mean this year was sorta just "looking forward to .63" without much information on what was required for it to be ready. A couple of status reports even introduced new features that we didn't even know they wanted to put in .63. Which sorta gives the feeling that the end just keeps moving further away. I personally got no problem with it, but this is what i think a lot of people feel when following their progress.

It wasn't a progress bar that's for sure, so you could say it left us with a "feel" on how the progress went.

• Beans 1

7 hours ago, comikz said:

RUST has 12 people.

My Summer Car has 2 plus some contributors (friends voice acting and making music).

Project Zomboid has 4+ some contributors.

Or should we go up and wonder how studios like Ubisoft and EA still hasn't made/published anything like DayZ even when they've much more money and they can offer huge amount of devs? One of the reasons is of course that it takes long time to do it and those giants are really hungry for money very quickly.

You shouldn't look for how many developers there are. You should look what they're actually developing. Engine, art, content, simulation, how open the platform is for modding, realize bit of their marketing strategy and so on. When you want to have all those top level it really requires many people, man hours and of course good amount of money in the bank.

• Beans 1

What is the point of discussing the number of people in the team? Otherwise there is only the question of quality or quantity, both of which do not grow on trees.

They are people like you and me, they do it as a jop to survive in the RL.

Now I could look this up myself, and come back here and post something about it, but some, "Expert", would say the information was wrong, ect.

So, what was the whole point of DayZ developers not using a pre-made engine that they could alter to fit what DayZ needs, over what they have now, a broken engine that constantly needs fixes/alterations and really doesn't work how they want it? Was it because they wanted to be, "Original" or was it because, "Hey this engine's problems will allow us to take even longer on the game." Because to me, when one of the sole reasons this game is taking this long to develop, is the engine, then perhaps it wasn't the most wise thing to do. But I'm sure I am wrong, I can hear the horse hooves already.

3 hours ago, comikz said:

But I'm sure I am wrong, I can hear the horse hooves already.

I could try to give you my understanding  of why, but i can see you don;t want to hear it.

1 hour ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I could try to give you my understanding  of why, but i can see you don;t want to hear it.

No no, I'de love to hear your, "understanding of why", they chose to build an engine from the ground up, as opposed to using an engine that would fulfill their desires with minimal changes to meet certain game related perimeters. Because to me, it seems like they wanted to set themselves apart from the crowd SO MUCH that they took unnecessary steps to ensure this, that only resulted in countless added hours/days/weeks/years of development just so they could, *Insert "I made this" meme, here*. 

39 minutes ago, comikz said:

No no, I'de love to hear your, "understanding of why", they chose to build an engine from the ground up, as opposed to using an engine that would fulfill their desires with minimal changes to meet certain game related perimeters. Because to me, it seems like they wanted to set themselves apart from the crowd SO MUCH that they took unnecessary steps to ensure this, that only resulted in countless added hours/days/weeks/years of development just so they could, *Insert "I made this" meme, here*. 

Umm, it's called being your own game studio and not using a useless engine like Unity that does a half ass job of what developers want it to do.

3 hours ago, comikz said:

Resident ""expert"" here. According to the devs themselves, BI wants to stay away from third-party tech and for that reason they also have little experience with third-party tools.

But "why not use the ARMA 3 engine then?" The result would have been basically the same. Regardless of which engine they started with, they were going to rewrite most of it and create Enfusion in the end, because ARMA 3 (or any other engine BI has) wasn't "able to do what DayZ wanted to do."

You can get a couple bits of info in the Q&A videos with the Enfusion lead dev.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Umm, it's called being your own game studio and not using a useless engine like Unity that does a half ass job of what developers want it to do.

So what you're saying is that any game studio outside of the one that first developed Unity isn't their own game studio? And for a, "Half ass job", Unity engine sure is used for loads of popular and well made games.

28 minutes ago, comikz said:

So what you're saying is that any game studio outside of the one that first developed Unity isn't their own game studio? And for a, "Half ass job", Unity engine sure is used for loads of popular and well made games.

I rest my case.

Hey all, what if we start up like bazillion critique threads like this?! We could actually get to 1.0 in what... two weeks time!? :D Or maybe a refund?$$

• Beans 1

On 1/1/2018 at 7:57 AM, comikz said:

Which was?

That he could tell you why but you didnt want to hear it . He proved he was right you didnt want to hear it . Its really not hard to understand..

• Beans 1

One problem is that they use the term "road map".  This is misleading.  Game development isn't at all about reaching milestones, rather, it has to be worked on as a whole.  Linear progression isn't realistic at all.  Advancing from one point to another is a terrible way to go about things AND explain it.  A lot of behind-the-scenes operations take place and the public isn't privy to the actual development goals reached.  So, counting the amount of developers is not really a great way to gauge progress.

4 hours ago, Parazight said:

Game development isn't at all about reaching milestones, rather, it has to be worked on as a whole.  Linear progression isn't realistic at all.

I disagree. Software development is all about reaching feature milestones. You don't have to complete features sequentially but you have to track your progress towards a production release. How would you do this without something like feature-based milestones or a product requirements document?

• Beans 2

Maybe.  Maybe it's somewhere in the middle.

It's not exactly fine art, but it's still a business with a budget.  It's still a video game, but it has new architecture and major overhaul decisions have been made midway.  So, it's obviously okay to BI to reinvent the wheel halfway through.  Typical of a highly creative process.  My next question would be; are they really concerned with milestones?  I don't know. It sure doesn't appear that way, when you compare the decision making to typical corporate monsters in the gaming industry.

BI has always seemed rogue and just done whatever they want to, for the most part.

• Beans 1