GunnyITA

DAYZ Status from a famous Youtube blogger

After a while i was not posting anymore in the forum, i'm here just to link 2 videos about DAYZ status. One made by a famous youtuber status made on 9 december, and the other on 15 december. I watched at them as i did not seen the promised December Beta update. First one is pretty accurate. What's your point of view?

Well... i'm feeling he's a bit right about the comparision of 80 developers for dayz against 7 peoples on Rust....and for adding just a few stuff (and bugged) compared to large content over time to the other game. The first video is not made by an hater, but a player that had give a chance to the game quite a century, and reached over 22.000 likes against those quite 2400 are the proof. I think those over 22.000 people (including him) are not totally stupids, it's an insult to the human intelligence of those poeple had invest money for a project long over 4 years. And pointing the finger to others fault, won't change the result: people blame the name of the team, not the team.

I'm not completely agree about the point of looting instantly, but i must say both are right.

What do you think?

Glad some devs would answer to this aswell....It's an harm to the company and the project they are building for 4 years. A proper answer should be done to drive the hit.

• Haha 1

On youtube, must be an expert on the subject.  Totally checks out.

• Beans 3

People are way over-thinking this. Just enjoy what you can, and ignore what bothers you, as you don't have the time or luxury in life to waste complaining all the time....

That's my main issue with 21st century humans on planet earth: They always complain about everything and nothing, most of the time on things they have no control on. Accept it, deal with it, and move on.

DayZ is still one of my favorite and unique game of all. I tried Rust, or other "similar" titles, and they feel like sesame street to me, while DayZ is like Blade Runner or American Psycho to me.

Happy holidays.

P.S.: "Famous youtuber" isn't a reference for "intelligence".

• Like 1
  • Beans 6

Development is taking a long-ass time. Much longer than promised. Features are getting dropped. A whole studio in Bratislava (does this still exist?) working on zombies hasn't been able to fix zombies. Easy to see how people get fed up with it.

However, DayZ has a cult following. It will never die in the sense that there will be no private servers for it. The player numbers are low and will stay low until some mod or feature is released to draw people back to the game.

I will never understand why the gameplay side was so much down developed, especially for such long span of time. I don't even consider 0.62 as game update. How do you even manage to make game less enjoyable while improving the technical side so much. Maybe both sides are connected, and poor gameplay was the price for good performance. Who knows... Or maybe money.

There was incredibly community. Was. 

You better really unleash the 0.63, otherwise it is the last nail. And to be honest, I won't be surprised if it will be the last nail of disappointment. Expectations are very low now. 

1 hour ago, Mantasisg said:

I will never understand why the gameplay side was so much down developed, especially for such long span of time. I don't even consider 0.62 as game update. How do you even manage to make game less enjoyable while improving the technical side so much. Maybe both sides are connected, and poor gameplay was the price for good performance. Who knows... Or maybe money.

There was incredibly community. Was. 

You better really unleash the 0.63, otherwise it is the last nail. And to be honest, I won't be surprised if it will be the last nail of disappointment. Expectations are very low now. 

If you were here during patches .30-.55. it was pretty much content after content and it was good. But because of the developers change in focus on internal systems like the sound, renderer, anim system its only natural that you'll get less content related updates. All gameplay side content and features have to be scripted on their new enscript system which isn't in stable only in their internal builds. Also i highly anticipate an underwhelming .63 release will happen just because of the cynical natural of gamers nowadays. Not to mention the huge long wait, people are never going to be satisfied. But whether or not it will be the "last nail" is highly speculative.

3 hours ago, DannyDog said:

If you were here during patches .30-.55. it was pretty much content after content and it was good. But because of the developers change in focus on internal systems like the sound, renderer, anim system its only natural that you'll get less content related updates. All gameplay side content and features have to be scripted on their new enscript system which isn't in stable only in their internal builds. Also i highly anticipate an underwhelming .63 release will happen just because of the cynical natural of gamers nowadays. Not to mention the huge long wait, people are never going to be satisfied. But whether or not it will be the "last nail" is highly speculative.

From seeing a few highlights from the next patch, I look forward to it, I feel like it may bring some new life to the game and make several aspects of the game more interesting/enjoyable. Beyond that, I hope that it brings back players and interests new ones to come and play. But, I'm not going to count my count my chickens before they hatch.

*EDIT* (Added comments about Jakons video.*

When he posts a fast scrolling list of things, "Added", most of those things are bug/glitch/exploit fixes, changes to in-game files, looks/appearances of some things. We've all or atleast a majority of us have, read notes from patches, they're not all content, and let's be honest with ourselves, a fair amount of things are just redone or polished over things and aren't really new content. I'll give you an real-life example of what I mean by, "Aren't really new content", take a basketball and paint it blue, is it a new basketball or the same basketball with a new color? Same with the zombies in-game, they're not new zombies, they've just been re-skinned. For those of us from the start (I started playing three years ago.) take what we had back then and look at what we have now? What can you say is truly, "New", and what is just been re-hashed/skinned.

Now from my past posts you may think, "This guy doesn't like DayZ", but that's where you're wrong, I like DayZ, out of all the survival games of it's genre it is by far the more enjoyable and draws me into it when playing it, the feeling I get while playing it is matched by no other game of it's genre, and that's why I stick around. I will be someone who plays this game until it truly is, "Dead", but at the same time I'm not going to sit back and not have negative thoughts/opinions about it just because I enjoy/like playing it.

Edited by comikz
Stuff and things.
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, DannyDog said:

If you were here during patches .30-.55. it was pretty much content after content and it was good. But because of the developers change in focus on internal systems like the sound, renderer, anim system its only natural that you'll get less content related updates. All gameplay side content and features have to be scripted on their new enscript system which isn't in stable only in their internal builds.

I was more about the very way how the game played. Content matters little. There could be five types of weapon, two types of vehicle and the game still could be incredible. Because, at least for me, DayZ was all about interacting with people. Even though the game has ridiculously huge map, for very little amount of players, it used to be very nice closer to the coast, and around NWAF anyway. Later everyone was spread out. Literaly only this was needed to ruin the game. I loved to talk, I could have been totaly destroyed in PVP with my 20fps, but I enjoyed the unique experience each time. Then interactions were "turned off", KOS values got turned up to 11. The game became unbalanced. Started to feel like waste of time, it was already great amount of just runing already. But it just got worse later.

For me the reason to push people out of the coast "so they will explore more of the map" was stupid. I remember watching generals sam video where he bashed DayZ very early on, IMO he was really wrong then, but slowly becoming right. He was really wrong when he said that people becomes bored of the game when they explore the map, and nothing new is left. He was and is totaly wrong about that. DayZ used to be all new, and unique all the time as interactions happened, didn't matter if it is Novo and Novo again, or Berezino non stop. Content, places..... meh. People. Other players, not knowing what will happen - it was interesting. 

• Beans 2

On 12/24/2017 at 7:16 PM, GunnyITA said:

After a while i was not posting anymore in the forum, i'm here just to link 2 videos about DAYZ status. One made by a famous youtuber status made on 9 december, and the other on 15 december. I watched at them as i did not seen the promised December Beta update. First one is pretty accurate. What's your point of view?

What promised update?

This kind of silly misinformation that gets people all upset in the first place...

8 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

I was more about the very way how the game played. Content matters little. There could be five types of weapon, two types of vehicle and the game still could be incredible. Because, at least for me, DayZ was all about interacting with people. Even though the game has ridiculously huge map, for very little amount of players, it used to be very nice closer to the coast, and around NWAF anyway. Later everyone was spread out. Literaly only this was needed to ruin the game. I loved to talk, I could have been totaly destroyed in PVP with my 20fps, but I enjoyed the unique experience each time. Then interactions were "turned off", KOS values got turned up to 11. The game became unbalanced. Started to feel like waste of time, it was already great amount of just runing already. But it just got worse later.

For me the reason to push people out of the coast "so they will explore more of the map" was stupid. I remember watching generals sam video where he bashed DayZ very early on, IMO he was really wrong then, but slowly becoming right. He was really wrong when he said that people becomes bored of the game when they explore the map, and nothing new is left. He was and is totaly wrong about that. DayZ used to be all new, and unique all the time as interactions happened, didn't matter if it is Novo and Novo again, or Berezino non stop. Content, places..... meh. People. Other players, not knowing what will happen - it was interesting. 

Ah i see what you mean. But i think this issue stems more from us as the community and the nature of things getting boring after a very long time. Like no matter how big the highs are from any game it will always eventually get boring. Not to mention DayZ is a sandbox game which usually means goals being set by players with the tools given by the game. But I do agree it's been awhile since an overall change in gameplay has happened like different spawn points, loot distribution etc. I remember there were several iterations of those changes that were very simple but affected a lot on how we played the game. ie: lootsplosions meant more pvp, no food meant hunting, and community outrage etc. But when it comes to vanilla dayz experience the devs will most likely settle on one design eventually and we'll naturally crave a change (through modding or other means).

4 hours ago, Gobbokirk said:

What promised update?

This kind of silly misinformation that gets people all upset in the first place...

I know a lot of people will try to downplay this but the devs promised themselves that they would try to release .63 this year.

Two major updates: .62 and possibly .63.

I mean the entire year was #inbetawetrustdeliverwemust. I'm fine with waiting a little longer but i'm sure the devs were disappointed more that they couldn't get it out.

• Beans 2

On ‎24‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 7:16 PM, GunnyITA said:

Glad some devs would answer to this aswell....It's an harm to the company and the project they are building for 4 years. A proper answer should be done to drive the hit.

Nearly one million people watched it. They all will play the beta. Looks like nothing to worry here.

Moddable like no other BI game before... what you worry about?

On 25/12/2017 at 5:58 AM, sneakydude said:

Its mere frustration of slow development.

Slow is being too kind. It's been Magnanimous.

8 hours ago, DannyDog said:

I know a lot of people will try to downplay this but the devs promised themselves that they would try to release .63 this year.

Two major updates: .62 and possibly .63.

I mean the entire year was #inbetawetrustdeliverwemust. I'm fine with waiting a little longer but i'm sure the devs were disappointed more that they couldn't get it out.

I guess this counts as downplaying but I think there's a very distinct difference between "Yeah it's happening, 0.63 is coming out this year" and "We'll try our best to get it our by the end of the year." Also the "in beta we trust, deliver we must" phrase didn't even exist until mid-2017 after 0.62 was already out, and it wasn't about a release date, it was about the upcoming features.

But I don't think that matters now that they've said in bolded words that "0.63 and any updates up to 1.0 will happen in 2018." I'm incredibly glad if that comes true, but at the same time they haven't given any real dates which makes me feel uncertain. Now we're out of the "no dates / when it's ready" zone without even having a concrete date, and what if something happens? I personally wish they had stuck to the following until 0.63 was out, then make estimates for 1.0 after the big confidence boost.

When it comes to "dates" - well, as I've said a few times before - We're just not doing that with our communication any more. Things come up, dates end up getting pushed, and we end up with both developers and early access users frustrated.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 2

11 minutes ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

I guess this counts as downplaying but I think there's a very distinct difference between "Yeah it's happening, 0.63 is coming out this year" and "We'll try our best to get it our by the end of the year." Also the "in beta we trust" didn't even exist until mid-2017 after 0.62 was already out.

But I don't think that matters now that they've said in bolded words that "0.63 and any updates up to 1.0 will happen in 2018." If that comes true, I'm incredibly glad.

But at the same time they haven't given any real dates which makes me feel uncertain. Now we're out of the "no dates / when it's ready" zone without even having a date, and what if something happens?

Yeah I understood that all they've alluded to was a "possible" .63 this year, but the problem was anybody outside of their development team would have no idea how close things are to release. It went from "possible .63 update this year" mid this year to "sorry couldn't make it" on the last month of the year (this is just how i felt). So between that period there was no way of grasping the progress they have made because we were never given a definite "checklist" of things they have to complete for .63. Their status reports mainly consisted of things they've done, or what they have been working on that week.

Sometimes it would seem like .63 is right around the corner, or sometimes its completely out of reach. However now that their last report has given us a definite checklist i'm sure subsequent status reports will let us feel how much they have progressed in completing that checklist.

Edited by DannyDog

3 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Yeah I understood that all they've alluded to was a "possible" .63 this year, but the problem was anybody outside of their development team would have no idea how close things are to release. It went from "possible .63 update this year" mid this year to "sorry couldn't make it" on the last month of the year (this is just how i felt). So between that period there was no way of grasping the progress they have made because we were never given a definite "checklist" of things they have to complete for .63. Their status reports mainly consisted of things they've done, or what they have been working on that week.

Sometimes it would seem like .63 is right around the corner, or sometimes its completely out of reach. However now that their last report has given us a definite checklist i'm sure subsequent status reports will let us feel how much they have progressed in completing that checklist.

That's pretty far from a promise though.
If it's not out during 2018 I'll be happy to claim they promised it. But hope and hints doesn't make it a promise, that's something the community hyped it self up for.
It's what everyone ofc wanted, but that's a totally different thing than they saying it will be out.

The game was released like 3 years way too early. It isn't dead because it hasn't even born. 0.63 will be closer but still likely lacking a lot in gameplay challenge. So time will tell more. You can likely judge DayZ well when it's something like 0.70 version.

When the EnScript should look pretty much like the scripting in Take On Mars, I can really see potential of many people getting in the modding more. https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/159486-scripting-language-for-take-on-mars/?tab=comments#comment-2501421

Many people have got some basic courses in C languages and that's pretty much what the new scripting language looks like to be. I never got myself in the SQF but this one looks like I could understand enough.

There will be more players playing DayZ when it's released. Not sure how popular the actual DayZ will be but that's just a small fraction of the potential. There's potential getting people from rpg mods of Arma 3, GTA V and so on, when something like Life mods comes in DayZ. That's a lot of people. Also battle royal type of gamemode will 100% see the light also in DayZ. That can also get people back from PUBG, Fortnite, etc. when they want to see bit different gameplay. DayZ can surprass Arma 3's 30K peak players per day and I bet it will do that in 2020.

Last time I checked, the devs were just people too.  Also, gamer nerds like to rage.  It is what it is.  Go play another game for a while.  Promises, shromises.  I find it hard to believe that the devs are being lazy and not really trying to develop this thing.  They all seem to be a hard working bunch of individuals.  So they don't have decades of experience marketing games and handling public demand.  It happens.  /shrug

• Beans 2

9 hours ago, Gobbokirk said:

That's pretty far from a promise though.
If it's not out during 2018 I'll be happy to claim they promised it. But hope and hints doesn't make it a promise, that's something the community hyped it self up for.
It's what everyone ofc wanted, but that's a totally different thing than they saying it will be out.

I'm not arguing that they made promises, but rather not give us enough information on their progress on .63 and how close it is to release. No definite "checklist" of things to be completed for .63 which led the community to inevitably decipher it by the way the devs word their status reports or tweet about .63 on twitter. I mean this year was sorta just "looking forward to .63" without much information on what was required for it to be ready. A couple of status reports even introduced new features that we didn't even know they wanted to put in .63. Which sorta gives the feeling that the end just keeps moving further away. I personally got no problem with it, but this is what i think a lot of people feel when following their progress.

On 27/12/2017 at 7:35 PM, Mantasisg said:

Because, at least for me, DayZ was all about interacting with people.

This is why I started playing with my friends. We bought the game to shoot zombies and have fun torturing other people. Pretending to be axe murderers and shit. Killing zombies is fun. Torture and robbery is fun. KoS in DayZ SA is not fun... That is why god made Battle Royale-- sorry, PUBG. None of us still play. I just lurk the forums hoping something awesome will get released.

15 hours ago, Parazight said:

Last time I checked, the devs were just people too.  Also, gamer nerds like to rage.  It is what it is.  Go play another game for a while.  Promises, shromises.  I find it hard to believe that the devs are being lazy and not really trying to develop this thing.  They all seem to be a hard working bunch of individuals.  So they don't have decades of experience marketing games and handling public demand.  It happens.  /shrug

They have a team of 70 to 80 people working on this game, it's no wonder people think they're being lazy and it's taking a long time, that's a lot of people working on this one game no matter how you look at it.

25 minutes ago, comikz said:

They have a team of 70 to 80 people working on this game, it's no wonder people think they're being lazy and it's taking a long time, that's a lot of people working on this one game no matter how you look at it.

Lets not forget it isn't a team comprising of 80-90 programmers. You have about 20-40 QA testers, art and sound designers, business managers, brand managers, pr and more that don't explicitly work on the engine.

Eugen said that statistic also comprises of external sources too. Not entirely sure what that means but it could be things like outsourcing art assets and what not.