libertine

Worn clothing shouldn't effect survivability

After learning that worn, damaged and ruined clothing effects not only survivability of cold and wet weather, but also protects less against gun shots, i wanted to express some concern about that because new looking clothing to me looks horrible. I only wear worn, damaged or ruined clothing, lol, its actually part of my end game...  New clothing looks like pajamas to me. They have no character, they look bland usually, they don't fit in with the zombie apocalypse setting either IMO. So i wanted to request that there is one level of clothing condition that looks worn but doesn't have a reduced ability to protect from elements...uh....and gunshots, if thats really a thing. This is one area where having layers of clothing would help a little, because if you had a raincoat that have a small hole in it, you could still have a t-shirt and sweat shirt under it adding to your protection level, even another jacket, which you could do in real life. Im not sure why clothing would protect against bullets, since they can go through both sides on a car in real life, and some rifles and penetrate an engine block.

Or, maybe a option in the settings to make your clothes just appear a little more ruined for the sake of believability and  immersion.

To me the worn (or is it damaged?) clothing looks so much better than new clothing. Examples: (as soon as i figure out how to post a pic here)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pt69q_49H04gm5d1mrGsTx-syCU_pXF1/view?usp=sharing

Edited by libertine
  • Beans 3

It really depends on how far the "protection" goes. I don't think there's any significant difference between wearing a worn vs pristine jacket when you're getting shot at with a rifle.

But these things will be changing in 0.63 as well. Here's what Mirek said, and it's already implemented for the new update.

The legacy Arma damage system was designed only for ranged weapons, which means that every hit was an explosion. But when we've added close range weapons, we've found that this system isn't suitable and it's difficult to balance properly.

It was hard to set up how much damage will be applied to different parts of character's body, and how this damage will be modified when characters has different types of armor and so on. We’ve decided the best solution is to write a completely new system for this, which will allow us to have several different types of hits and wounds, which will allow us to add more game features and easily balance them.

I don't really have an opinion about condition affecting protection from the environment. It does make sense from a gameplay standpoint, at least. Why have condition if it barely affects anything? (Maybe rolling around in dirt would visually change the texture to a worn one, without changing the actual condition. Mod ideas!)

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 3

Well yeah, i think condition should play a part too, but i think there should be a intermediate condition where it looks very worn, like damaged and ruined, but still protects like new. IRL, the first time going through a fire fight, rolling around in the ground trying, diving or just planting the knee for cover is going to take the newness right out of your clothes until you wash them. Even just wearing them for awhile is going to impart some wrinkles behind the knee and thigh area. The worn clothes, especially pants, visually, they look almost as equally capable of projecting you as new since on holes are present, but obviously the damaged/ruined look as it presently is could be meant to simply be an indicator of condition, not an overt representation. Regardless, new clothes just look horrible to me. Maybe even an option in the settings to choose the highest clothing quality visual level for your own clothes to appear as would be nice and wouldn't effect gamplay really since its just about immersion, believably and atmosphere.

Yeah this is a bit tricky. Having this element in clothing but not make much sense irl. I'm fine with it affecting things like body temp, damage protection as its a game but there's also no element of psychology with it. Your character feels nothing, or acts like the conditions we force them into have little to no affect on them. Played Don't Starve Together with a few of my mates and realized how a Sanity meter would be so good to add as another layer of player>character interaction. I know there have been numerous debates with the whole idea especially with Humanity being almost identical and not having the game tell you how you should feel when you do something. But with a Sanity meter you can make things like dirty clothes, bloodied hands, eating cold food, eating expired food, getting hurt by infected, getting shot at, being chased by wolves/infected, night/dark areas slowly draining sanity, etc add a much deeper impact on your experiences playing the game. Just a thought i had.

Edited by DannyDog
  • Beans 1

I agree, pristine clothes are not my favorite either. But, I think it's good that it has an impact on the effect. As an example: A rain jacket ... New it is rainproof, but a Damaged should not be 100% rainproof ... maybe 80%. What I particularly miss is the "aging" of clothing. So far, the state is only affected by attacks. I would like to change it through their actions. If you crawl around on the floor a lot, then your clothes should be very susceptible ... and with too much dirt and without care, they will slowly get worse. Because to crawl around in the area, only a Ghillie is suitable. just lying down in a house or under a tree in the rain will not affect your clothes, it's the movement. That's why I find the idea of washing / grooming ingenious.

the bad protection of clothing, should stay. You have the advantage (that should also consider the engine) that you have more camouflage through dirt and wrinkles, so your gameplay needs to be adapted to the advantage. (my character often freezes over ruined clothes .. but i can make a fire almost anywhere and in any weather.)

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

in patch 0.54 it was so much that shoes wear out, on roads less in the forest more. Sneakers in Pristine were damaged from Kamishovo to Lopatino. I hope that comes again.

• Like 1