Roecky

My issues with the Game - Feedback

Hello Guys and Maybe Devs

So i don´t exactly know how i should start this topic or even if its the right section for this. Im also pretty sure alot of people are sick seeing other people complaining.

But honestly i need to write it down and just rant a little (sorry for that). So lets start this.

I´ve been playing DayZ Standalone for more than 500 hours, i also know people that played the SA for over 1500 hours but mostly on Roleplay Servers.

My biggest issue with DayZ is : It´s empty. It´s so empty that it´s boring. Sure in my first hours it was all new and exciting, sneaking around, looting, learning the map,

discover the hotspots for loot and pvp and so on. But lets be honest. All you do at the moment is rushing to a military base and get your loot. That´s it.

Most cities, villages are abandoned from the players because theres almost no loot or just bad loot. The whole North-East Part of the map - no players at all.

The North - East Airfield - Useless. Nothing to loot, nothing special. Why should players bother to go there? The old police buildings (that one with the field beds on

the second floor, mostly found on airfields or military bases) no loot at all for years. Total useless unused buildings. These were just a few examples but the list would

go on forever. The loot system overall is just..sorry bad. It makes almost 75% of the map useless. Nobody bothers anymore to loot through cities. The clothes most

people like are mostly on military terrain. Well honestly almost everything you need-/want is on military bases. Sure when i spawn i look through houses and stuff,

until i find a melee weapon and thats mostly it. Then i try to find an Apple tree, eat dozens of apples until im healthy and then i go straight to military bases.

Cans of Food, bottles or drinking cans - i dont really care anymore. Best and easiest Food are Apples, they fill up your hunger and thirst almost equally - Perfect!

That´s another issue i don´t understand, when your character spawns for the first time "Hungry" or even Hungry and Thirsty so you don´t even have alot of time

to think what you need to do. It´s just dumb. In my opinion new characters should spawn hydrated and energized. So i don´t need to rush in an instant to the next

Apple tree, abuse the apple picking bug and then i start to "explore". Okay let´s move on to the next issue. Useless Junk and mechanics almost nobody uses.

I NEVER repaired a vehicle on public Servers. Why? Vehicles are so damn useless in DayZ SA its not worth the effort. It´s loud as Hell, it´s clunky, your frames go down

after a period of time, you need way too much stuff to repair it. I mean come on, i know its a survival game but look at the DayZ MOD - it´s done way better than the SA.

We don´t even have Quads and bicycles the most popular vehicles. Fast, fairly "quiet" and just a nice thing to get from point A to B. Helicopters in DayZ SA?

No way. The game cant even handle the trucks and cars that are implemented yet. Just imagine flying over a bigger city with a helicopter and the game tries to

load all kinds of junk items, tries to spawn the "dynamic" Zombies and human players ..it will crash instantly. You even notice the laggs when you drive through cities..

Next. Plant Growing Stuff. THATS Dumb. This seems like a mechanic created for private role playing servers but not for public Servers. Total useless for 99% of Players.

"You dont like it, dont use it then" right? Well yeah of course but think about it, seeds packs are items, vegetables are items, your tools you need to grow them are items.

Its valuable Space. Think about it how often you find tools, seed packs and nobody cares to take them. These are items your game has to load and makes the perfomance

more worse. Pretty Sure in the whole world there are like 500 "useless" tools lying around, lots of seed packs and so on. Same goes for mechanical Stuff for repairing vehicles.

It´s just too much and makes the perfomance more worse. But enough of that, i think (or hope) i showed my points here.

Next One: Who the f*** did decide that there are NO Ammo or Magazines if you find a weapon? How dumb is that? Yeaah of course it could be a weapon a player left without

any mags or ammo but most of the times you find a weapon at the loot spawn. Sometimes you get a magazine but for most of the time you only find a Rifle and thats it.

Even on Military bases you only find the weapon. What logic is that? And again thats something the MOD did better again! Okay i´ll try to shorten this a bit.

- A Game that is about survival and Zombies, lacks in Zombies and the threat of them

- Almost everything seems empty

- Big Map Parts, buildings, cities are useless (Loot-/good Loot)

- Some Spawn locations don´t even make sense or the loot itself doesn´t make sense (weapons without mags-/ammo)

- The map itself is boring due the lack of content and threats

- Still performance problems in form of FPS Drops mostly in cities and villages

- overcomplicated Vehicles (for repairing, just not worth it)

- Animations are still really bad and not fluid ( New Melee Animations are still horrible, stiff and artificial. They look awful to be honest)

- Unused Buildings, locations for YEARS even on military terrain

- Lack of different Terrain (look at the MOD again and its different maps, most popular Namalsk)

- Lack of loot spawn locations (what happened to the loot locations on defect military trucks, cars, tanks and so on?)

- Useless Mechanics for most public players (Fishing, Plant growing)

- Lack of different Weather states

- Lack of Different good-/unique weapons

- Lack of really unique clothings

I could continue the List much longer than that but it should be enough..I really don´t hate the game and i know that some things got better but it´s just

frustrating to see less and less players. The community is shrinking every Day and the Problems are obvious (atleast for me). Its taken way too much time

and we are not even in the Beta yet..after almost 5 Years. No wonder why the community lost the hope for this game..but i still have faith in it.

I wouldn´t be a Fan if i wouldn´t have some Ideas to make the game better (atleast in my opinion) So here we go with some Ideas:

- New / Different kinds of Zombies like "Walker, Runner, Crawler, Zombies with a chance to infect you, Zombies that you see and you KNOW thats a tough one

- Radioactive Areas or poisoned Areas where you need Gas masks to survive and to make the threat even bigger --> Zombie Hordes or something like this

- More threatening zombies so that you really think twice to get to this house, area, base or if you really want to risk a shot-/attention

(And i don´t mean Zombies that gives you unfair onehits...we all know the problem of lagging zombies, clunky melee.. so just stronger Zombies is out of competition)

- Maybe something like a safe Zone for Trading with others (idk if that would be a good idea because of campers outside of this area)

- Give us some unique stuff like weapons, clothing that you only can obtain from an Heli crash or a specific area (f.e. "bulletproof" vest with 12 Slots so you can survive

a critical shot or survive 2 shots more, special helmet which has more endurance (or looks cool), A different Sniper Rifle, Assault Rifle with a better accuracy  or slighlty

increased damage, Special shoes so your footsteps are more quiet, a full gillie suit with pockets or compatible with a backpack, Night Vision goggles, special SWAT-/STALKER

suit with some kind of an bonus or just cosmetic, there are so many possibilities)

- Better dynamic weather -/changes (slightly Raining, Heavy Raining, Overall Foggy, Maybe snow, Thunder and lighting, Heavy Storms)

- Better -/More vehicles-/better perfomance and more stable, maybe even more userfriendly in terms of repairing

- More different Character Models

So i know that there are some things planed like growing a beard, getting scares, base building, open for modding and so on thats why i didn´t mention that stuff.

I also hope that i don´t need to say that they need to improve the things i mentioned on the "negative list". I´m also pretty sure (sadly) in the end the talent of the

community through modding will make DayZ the game we really wanted... but i kinda feel reliefed after i wrote this down. I really really like the game but its frustrating

me for years now. So thats my overall feedback until now..pretty sure is missed bugs and other important stuff.

Please ignore any tipos, my keyboard is kinda broken (chattering keys).

Greetings Roecky

18 minutes ago, Roecky said:

Now that DayZ is fun again, heres why it sucks

Hey mang, lets take a moment appreciate the amount of thought and energy you put into your post. Secondly, they are working on all this stuff dude. The game is in the final stages of development and they are working on a lot of what your concerns are. 

Peace

Edited by Baker.
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

I read your text for about 30% and then decided to not spend more time on an uninformed first time poster who thinks the game was only meant for pvp.

10 minutes ago, nl said:

I read your text for about 30% and then decided to not spend more time on an uninformed first time poster who thinks the game was only meant for pvp.

Yeah well maybe you should have read it because i am not a pvp player. And i find it slightly disrespectful, just because im a "first time poster" for you to respond like that. Honestly i don´t really know what gave you the idea that im a "pvp only" guy. But if its your opinion, im fine with that.

Edited by Roecky
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Roecky said:

Yeah well maybe you should have read it because i am not a pvp player. And i find it slightly disrespectful, just because im a "first time poster" for you to respond like that. Honestly i don´t really know what gave you the idea that im a "pvp only" guy. But if its your opinion, im fine with that.

He probably got that opinion based on what you said.. I mean survival game and you call the survival mechanics useless for 99% of public players ( a stat you pulled out your arse) your complaint on loot or usefull loot which considering you say you go straight to military means your after guns and ammo ( what are you using those on cause you don't need them or much of them for Zeds ) . Id say he pretty accurately assessed your play style and your complaints in one hit .. Only thing i agree with you on is weapons spawning with ammo/clips/mags at least some times as it would be logical to find some of these weapons having been dropped during  fighting for life in a apoc but that's already being worked on along with performance etc so you spent ages writing a piss and moan when in half the time you could have found the facts of what there doing to the game... But Do tell me if your not a a PvP player why the rush to military bases to get weapons (also where you are most likely to find and engage in PvP? 

Edited by soulfirez
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, Roecky said:

The forums are a little "gatekeepy", don't let it get to you. 

3 hours ago, nl said:

He bought the game same as you. By your logic I shouldn't give your opinion any credence because I have almost twice as many posts as you.

Be real, that guy is obviously passionate about the game or else he wouldn't have spilled his guts out like he did. No need to take a giant shit on a first time poster. We need more people here not less. 

Edited by Baker.
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

6 hours ago, Roecky said:

But honestly i need to write it down and just rant a little (sorry for that).

Hello! It's just too repetitive for quite some time but, yeah Baker here is right. Well, it was good to write down that, which is actually, what you expect from this game. But it IS still in its early access phase. I think you should stay away if it frustrates you, come back later maybe when you catch some news that it's changed and improved. We didn't pay a full price because it isn't a full game. Now it's buggy and lacking in some things by definition and still in fixing stages and also feature development. Most of the people were impressed back then, it was a big source for some youtubers' content, then they got simply fed up with it, started releasing videos about Dayz being dead, and this is why you see the player base shrinking and moving on to something else for the time. Or just abandoning completely never to return which I doubt, but we'll see. No one can say they didn't have some good time with it beside the bad times. I think this long early access phase caused this feeling of being fed up since you've already explored so much of it. You don't need too much to know about every area and nook and cranny of the map, even this big. I have about 1200 hours in two and a half years since I bought it, but I didn't play it much really, if at all, for almost a year. We all have/had a bunch of ideas about features, similar to yours, to a lesser or bigger extent, written about many times before here on the forums. Except status reports, nobody here except devs can't tell what it will be like finally, but so far, a game this open, with no clues or quests and story line to guide you through, seems to me that it needs to be enriched by players themselves. In general, your experience depends on how you want to play it. Your character needs to survive, as long as possible. He needs food and medicine, and for that he needs to loot areas for it and risk being killed or mugged. Or you can hunt for food, or grow it somewhere, then maybe trade it. This is why you see those pointless tools and seeds. As far as vehicles, for me they've been too much of a hassle for a map of this size. But I look at Dayz as more of a platform for gameplay in apocalyptic scenario then a regular complete game experience with an actual ending, story etc. which we're all used to. People were talking that most of this game's experience will be from (drumroll for this) player interaction, since there's not anything yet that seems like a goal or a general quest in Dayz for the player. Apart from what you mentioned, getting the best equipment to defend yourself. It's not just about PVP and killing on sight and looting, but of course, absolutely everyone is still allowed to play like that. But, there certainly are other play styles from other players and groups of players which will just complement this. You can't expect feeling like and turning out to be a badass on a chaotic mix of players on a public server but it's not impossible. But also, knowing there's a bunch of private servers hosted by communities, as they call themselves, it will be up to them to make their little world of Dayz.

• Beans 1

With all due respect for the "dedicated and passionate" DayZ survivalist players who care about this game, but there is no denying that the player count tells a sorry tale (official Steam chart).

http://steamcharts.com/app/221100

With just a few thousands individuals regularly playing on a daily basis, DayZ has clearly become a niche game for a small tight knit community. This is what the "hard-core" people always wanted and this is what Bohemia is delivering (or at least trying to).

It's all part of that "flight simulator" realism that many long for in a "true" survival game. The fact that this probably alienated many former and potentially new players, is totally irrelevant.

So once again, by looking at the player count, you realize that this is a take-it-or-leave-it deal. Join the club and accept the rules or go play something else (no offense).

Regards

• Beans 2

7 hours ago, Baker. said:

He bought the game same as you. By your logic I shouldn't give your opinion any credence because I have almost twice as many posts as you.

Be real, that guy is obviously passionate about the game or else he wouldn't have spilled his guts out like he did. No need to take a giant shit on a first time poster. We need more people here not less. 

Just to clarify: I don't mind first time posters, I mind first time posters who come here to rant about game development without obviously having the fist clue about the development goals and time-line of the game.

I also don't mind pvp players but I do mind pvp players who try to the force the game into a pure pvp direction which was never intended by the devs.

For the rest: see this:

Most of the stuff you covered will be included with beta/1.0 content additions.  Right now, it sucks, but is still very decently playable if you know what you are looking for and put in some effort to find the right server.

There is a whole other level of difficulty in trying to get established on a consistently full server.  Go find some vehicles and try to keep them running long enough to get a few tents and barrels stocked with sets of your favorite items.  See how many times you have to move before your camp is untouched for a week.

Learn a little bit about the finer details of the game that most people still haven't noticed yet:  Adding coolant to vehicles will greatly extend the life of the engine, especially if you redline low gears constantly.  Crafted stone knives will consistently give you higher percentage cuts of meat from skinned animals.  Treating crops with disinfectant will prevent blight and increase your yields.  Crafted leather clothing will make you something of a juggernaut--I have taken a repeater shot to the chest point-blank and didn't even bleed, and almost exclusively kill wolves with melee weapons.  I can't stress this enough. Leather clothing is the shizzzzniiiit!!!

There is a lot that you seem to be frustrated with, and most of that is due to the content backlog that is waiting for the final versions of the underlying tech to be implemented.  There are plenty of things that will change in the coming months, apple-spamming being one of them.  Maybe you could try to get ahead of the curve, and swear-off the abuse of apple trees?  This will give you an appreciation for farming and hunting, as well as an edge against returning players who won't know how to feed themselves without exploiting the infinite apples.

Try to set-up and maintain a base stocked with two of everything.  Make yourself a set of leather clothing and go try to kill a wolf with one of every melee weapon.

Without defining what you consider to be the benchmark of fun or success in DayZ, it is hard to know what can be suggested to help you get the most out of the experience right now.

1 hour ago, nl said:

Just to clarify: I don't mind first time posters, I mind first time posters who come here to rant about game development without obviously having the fist clue about the development goals and time-line of the game.

I also don't mind pvp players but I do mind pvp players who try to the force the game into a pure pvp direction which was never intended by the devs.

For the rest: see this:

First things first, thanks for all of your responses. So to give you an Idea, in my 560 hours of DayZ i killed MAYBE 3-5 people. Im not a pvp Person. I go to military bases because i want more space, i want camo clothing so other players cant spot me that easy, i want weapons to defend myself mostly from Zombies. Im mostly running around with a Winchester/ B95 with a hunting scope and a silenced Pistol-/smg. Why i use a Sniper Rifle? Because i like to observe other people and i like spotting from distance. Sure the Scope alone would be enough for my needs but i like to be prepared "what if i have to shoot because someone "hunts" me or what if i see hostile people killing new spawns, maybe even friends.

Why i criticize some survival mechanics? Because nobody uses them. You spend idk 6 hours to grow some plants on public servers? Go fishing while other people could shoot you down at any time? Maybe some people do exactly that but from my experience they wont do it. That is stuff most people do on roleplay servers. Most people prefered the DayZ MOD i wonder why, think about it.

You also can tell me what you want i bet you play exactly like everybody else. Rushing to end Gear and i am pretty sure you are mostly the pvp guys.

Edited by Roecky
  • Beans 1

36 minutes ago, Roecky said:

You also can tell me what you want i bet you play exactly like everybody else. Rushing to end Gear and i am pretty sure you are mostly the pvp guys.

Well no, you are assuming without knowing me.

I play mostly on a PVE server where PVP is not allowed except for when maybe someone steals from your camp. So I spend my days building camps, looking for cars, collecting gear, meeting up with other players, exploring the map, fishing, farming, hunting and so on. Although I do look for military gear I also play a lot with civilian clothes and weapons. No we don't role play we just try to stay away from KOS and PVP.

In 1600+ hours I killed maybe 10 players.

Edited by nl

Good effort and welcome to the forum.

But one thing I would like to point out is that weapons have been able to spawn with magazines/ammo and any other attachments since 0.60.

See: https://youtu.be/RZm7YqryQZo?t=167

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, Roecky said:

Well you really think you're someone special don't you? :D Here, have some beans :D j/k

I'm sure I didn't kill more than twenty players so far and I really can't remember the last one. I've had more of full crops and camps with food for my little crew so we can move around the map not worrying about that. Having the end gear for me was not so often and kind of rewarding but also felt uncomfortable in a way. Meaning, I was 99% a target for all players. They were either afraid and/or wanted the gear. Although we can respawn and get back into the game relatively quickly, sometimes I chose to slip away out of firefights against all odds, ending up with equipment in pieces but still alive. But we certainly cannot discourage PVP and brag about other people's game play choices since that is an option and there are PVP only servers to be found. The FPS genre has its roots in PVP, and Dayz being one with an interesting mix of features and possibilities making it hardcore, to me is a different game. It's total chaos. But it's still a FPS free-for-all and more to the MMO side. Personally, I was fed up with regular multiplayer shooter games with red and blue teams long time ago. I like to have a scope or binoculars, occasionally avoid other Dayz players (since I'm not that great in PVP), but at the given moment I'll do whatever I can to be on the safe side first when interacting with unknown players not wanting to loose the control of situation.

Edited by cirkular

23 hours ago, Roecky said:

Hello Guys and Maybe Devs

To simplify your issues with the game is that it's not actually a game yet.  Everything is being tested hence why we have bugs and broken mechanics, lack of zombies or zombies that are buggy as hell.   My question to you is did you buy DayZ thinking that it's a ready to go game or were you aware that it's in early access development?

59 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

To simplify your issues with the game is that it's not actually a game yet.  Everything is being tested hence why we have bugs and broken mechanics, lack of zombies or zombies that are buggy as hell.   My question to you is did you buy DayZ thinking that it's a ready to go game or were you aware that it's in early access development?

You can and should offer criticisms and feedback during Early Access. That's the whole point.

You don't have to agree with it, and in that case you could offer a counter-argument and then have a discussion that way.

Not just "it's not a game, come back later."

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

You can and should offer criticisms and feedback during Early Access. That's the whole point.

You don't have to agree with it, and in that case you could offer a counter-argument and then have a discussion that way.

Not just "it's not a game, come back later."

Of course hence why I asked my question at the end.  There's a lot of people who post on these forums who seem to completely unaware that DayZ is in development and come ranting and raving like they just bought a full game.