Sign in to follow this  
Mantasisg

Is Bohemia a good home for DayZ devs ?

I was just asking this myself for a while. I have never had any rage on DayZ devs for not bringing me enough toys, or good enough toys. Negativity goes over the rooftop now. I think it was seen that it was coming since 0.61. The 0.60 brought huge  hope for me, but it went downhill so quickly...  Just because gameplay. 

Is Bohemia honest about DayZ ? I mean not the actual DayZ Devs, but the whole company. Is Bohemia honest with us the players, who are just simply too tired of waiting. And me personaly, I actually felt huge regress of the gameplay. As most of others. 

Does the troops of Bohemia help the actual DayZ devs if they get into bigger trouble ? Does they back them up ? Does they help them to meet the deadlines ? Or they just lets them share the house for a part of income, and most important - the credit ? How much sympathetic the BI is for DayZ devs ? 

I wonder if there could be any plans for DayZ Devs to leave Bohemia somehow, and go on on their own ? I mean there are less and less legacy from the ARMA. And it doesn't feel like DayZ is being supported greatly, feels like half welcome guest from my perspective as DayZ follower.

Or it isn't so ? 

56 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

..//..

ALL these arguments - every one of them -  have been had before.  =  you can look them all up

xxp

• Beans 1

Bohemia and the DayZ dev team are one and the same. This isn't a EA/Dice situation. Bohemia Interactive is both the developers and the publishers.

I wish my ACC would go into graveyard as well. Coming in because of inertia.

I just don't believe that there is a love between DayZ and Bohemia. Nevermind that its the studio. There are plenty of people in the studio. They must't be one solid unit, though maybe they should.

1 hour ago, TheCreeper (DayZ) said:

The real question is, is the Grave Yard a good home for this thread, I do believe it is.

More accurately stated:  "Is the graveyard good for this game"...

I suggest instead of being locked into "Arma" type legacy issues, they perhaps go work for that stuido that made Take on Helicopters and Take on Mars. 

Edited by Baker.

2 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

I wish my ACC would go into graveyard as well. Coming in because of inertia.

I just don't believe that there is a love between DayZ and Bohemia. Nevermind that its the studio. There are plenty of people in the studio. They must't be one solid unit, though maybe they should.

You can believe that, but its simply not true.

Everyone in a factory is doing their job. There are many different jobs from boss to janitor. Everyone is doing their Job, and not everyone can do whatever their buddy can.

The boss can support, but doing so remains with the people who are responsible. If the management says, ok guys, we'll give you more time, then the boss has already helped, because at the end of the month, everyone has their wages and they have earned their holidays, even if things are not going according as planned.

Most things do not go according to plan, we are humans and not machines.

In fact the programmers are working on the AI that goes under the name "Bohemia", among other names - I saw a solid reactive holographic projection of Bohemia walking around downtown Birmingham, UK last week (the Bull Ring 02 dec 23:59h ) but it may manifest in more than one place at once?  I was not in Birmingham at that time. We had a conversation about what happens when a digital clock reads 00:00 . It was interesting but strange, as it was during a previous similar manifestation  We also spoke about FORTH. The AI wears MIB shades even at night.

xxpilgrim

• Beans 2

I may be wrong, but all I know that whole thing gone wrong, and very badly.

I started playing 0.54. Some says its the time when game started turning less fun.

Perhaps... there were better and worse... patches between 0.54 to 0.60. But to me it felt that soon after 0.60 game just turned into "pls forget me" stage. Even 0.54 to 0.60 development seemed mega slow. And it was understanadable, because moving to new engine was announced, but it looks like the engine is way bigger piece than some of us could have guessed, and god knows when it will be finished, because the development is just slower and slower. 

Really people who understand coding should talk. 

Isn't it just the matter of how many people can understand it and then they can work on different pieces of it, no ? 

At the end of the day the way game plays is sad, not the fact that it is unfinished. As earlier iterations offered way better experience to many players.

Edited by Mantasisg

Dayz team is working on tech that BI plans on using in future arma games. Use the googles. So yes, they have ALL the support. Would be dumb not to.

1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

Dayz team is working on tech that BI plans on using in future arma games. Use the googles. So yes, they have ALL the support. Would be dumb not to.

Yes and I for one am not happy with that situation, but that is on the business side of things. Investment to build an Arma engine. I do understand it had to be done, for the sake of Dayz being a quality game but at the hands of all the investors? I just don't want to go there honestly. I just would like to see Dayz go into the game we all want. We need the Arma type tools to make Dayz great again.

Bohemia devs is exactly like me in CGI job, i do 1week job in 3months. I would fit perfectly in Bohemia lol.

I think DayZ team is extremely small ( 5-10 ppl who is responsible for .63 cause they're doing only programmig right now, animations is fast to do, sound fx is fast, modelling and texturing is fast.. ), that's why its so slow, if the team is bigger then they're just lazy or unexperienced. Motion capture, Sound FX ppl and graphics designers doesn't count.

I have feeling that DayZ Dev team is all the Bohemia's junior artists..
If DayZ taking 5years and counting, then there's no way the same people made Arma 3 in 2 years.
And the 5years was only for bug fixing including environment,renderer improvements, that's crazy.. Hire 30 random student people from various forums, give them $1.000.000 and i bet they would've done it faster even through major trial and error.
And DayZ team only now figured out that they need to "change" the engine, if they would have started it at around ~.61-.62 release probs we would've seen 1.0 right now or atleast .63 early experimental.
Also the vehicle fixing took ages, damn.. Look at Arma 3 code where vehicles works perfectly -> profit. ( I've heard that they cant use anything from arma3, but it's the same studio they can do whatever they want. )

Edited by exacomvm

1 hour ago, exacomvm said:

Bohemia devs is exactly like me in CGI job, i do 1week job in 3months. I would fit perfectly in Bohemia lol.

I think DayZ team is extremely small ( 5-10 ppl who is responsible for .63 cause they're doing only programmig right now, animations is fast to do, sound fx is fast, modelling and texturing is fast.. ), that's why its so slow, if the team is bigger then they're just lazy or unexperienced. Motion capture, Sound FX ppl and graphics designers doesn't count.

I have feeling that DayZ Dev team is all the Bohemia's junior artists..
If DayZ taking 5years and counting, then there's no way the same people made Arma 3 in 2 years.
And the 5years was only for bug fixing including environment,renderer improvements, that's crazy.. Hire 30 random student people from various forums, give them $1.000.000 and i bet they would've done it faster even through major trial and error.
And DayZ team only now figured out that they need to "change" the engine, if they would have started it at around ~.61-.62 release probs we would've seen 1.0 right now or atleast .63 early experimental.
Also the vehicle fixing took ages, damn.. Look at Arma 3 code where vehicles works perfectly -> profit. ( I've heard that they cant use anything from arma3, but it's the same studio they can do whatever they want. )

You forgotten they did hire a completely huge team before, and everything was not clicking right at BI. I don't remember where the article is, but it has been explained. I think now, Eugene did a video on it.

Edited by sneakydude

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

You forgotten they did hire a completely huge team before, and everything was not clicking right at BI. I don't remember where the article is, but it has been explained. I think now, Eugene did a video on it.

Never heard about that, only know that they hired 5 or 10 freelance artists for the new trees and other models/textures.

I am amazed at how these conversations (if you can call them that) are still 'a thing.'

We have people here who follow development, and participate regularly in discussions, and those same people can still communicate ideas that contradict anything resembling an understanding of the process; even after posting things that have demonstrated an understanding of what is happening and why.

Order your steak well-done, and ask why it is taking so long.  Set your alarm clocks to midnight, and ask why is it so dark outside. Cover your ears and ask me to repeat myself.

• Beans 4

On 12/9/2017 at 5:48 PM, emuthreat said:

I am amazed at how these conversations (if you can call them that) are still 'a thing.'

We have people here who follow development, and participate regularly in discussions, and those same people can still communicate ideas that contradict anything resembling an understanding of the process; even after posting things that have demonstrated an understanding of what is happening and why.

Order your steak well-done, and ask why it is taking so long.  Set your alarm clocks to midnight, and ask why is it so dark outside. Cover your ears and ask me to repeat myself.

Yes there really isn't anything to talk about anymore is there?

On 12/9/2017 at 10:48 PM, sneakydude said:

Took me a while to remember the dev's name but it was Chris Torchia doing that presentation if you mean this:

And let's just dump other videos also in there:

Seems like the Hicks' GDC presentation about Early Access: Are You Prepared? is only for members only in GDC site :/

• Like 1

On 2017-12-10 at 12:48 AM, emuthreat said:

I agree that it is not nice. It really isn't. In fact it is heavily negative. I just don't want to demotivate the devs, I very much believe that they do what they can. And the only yhing which makes me sad is actual gameplay form since ~0.60. But bringing one iteration a year, also which doesn't really improve the gameplay time, honestly for what I am looking for there were nothing served for a whole year. Beta not comming this year is not a surprise, it won't be a surprise if beta won't come till christmas of 2018...

I think it is just wrong that the game came out to EA with one road map, and then immediatelly switched to another one. It is like if they sold us unfinished DayZ 1.0. And now are working on DayZ 2.0. Everyone bought DayZ 1.0, but will be playing DayZ 2.0. It would be nice... but the wait is just out of boundaries. People aren't gamers for whole life usually, a lot will be forever disappointed, because they won't be into gaming anymore when they will get what they wanted. 

I probably had abot 50h blast gameplay in ~500hours of play, about 100h (approx.) was nice. And more than half of playing this was grinding, runing and looting. it never changed, just was going worse. So whats up about the management behind this ? Will I have to put my steak into microwave, will it be in the date ? I'm keeping it in a freezer, I hope it will. And thats exactly how I understand the game now - in a freezer.

Gotta keep in mind that it has lots of legacy from ARMA. It probably will always have. Is it a bad thing ? Maybe yes, maybe no. It is a bit intimate topic. Almost like personal stuff of a person, if DayZ was a celebrity, you know. Really jus speculating. Hoping that the very people who are in BI for DayZ SA, aren't kept for granted, and aren't in some kind of shade or anything like that... 

It could be that rplacing legacy code to new engine code is an endless work with very tiny bits and lots of error aka bugs. It has turned out a bit insane TBH. 

On 12/11/2017 at 9:37 PM, Mantasisg said:

Gotta keep in mind that it has lots of legacy. It has turned out a bit insane TBH. 

well at thank Sweet Jeeez  its not Disney Studios doing this stuff