Yuval

After 5 years, I am leaving the DayZ community.

2 minutes ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

1. You can't blame "everything that is wrong with DayZ" on any one person.

2. Dean didn't just "up and leave," you don't even have the timeline right.
2.a. The Everest hike happened before the EA launch in early 2013.
2.b. He told us a full year in advance that he would eventually leave. There was a big article about it. DayZ was never his dream project, it just blew up on its own but he had no intentions of sticking with it, ever. Even in an article about the Everest thing in 2013, he said his plan was to open up his own game studio in New Zeland, which is EXACTLY what he did by the end of 2014 when his contract with Bohemia ended.

3. Dean is just one guy, and said he wouldn't be a good project lead. Why would you want to force a guy with that mindset to stay on a project, even if you could? The team he left behind and the person who took over his spot know the vision for DayZ, it has just been a long road to get there.

4. If there is anything to "come clean about," it has already happened. I don't get where you're even finding the devs actively praising Early Access, I'd be curious to see the context.

Then admit to me right now that it was a bad idea for DayZ to release in early access.

How could I forget that article. It was devastating to the entire community. The fact that he didn't actually climb a mountain before quitting is kind of irrelevant. He was the figurehead of the project. His leaving looked bad no matter how you slice it. Brian Hicks may have admitted early access was a bad idea in some obscure you-tube video with 8000 views, but that's not the story we keep hearing in the status reports or anywhere else. Leaving to make his own game studio may have been exactly what he did, but it also crashed and burned, which doesn't really service your argument. 

1 hour ago, Solopopo said:

Everything presently wrong with DayZ is the fault of Dean Hall. I actually feel bad for the current devs. They are the only ones trying to make DayZ a reality. I can't believe he abandoned them like that. I can't believe he abandoned us. He had the eyes of the entire world on him and he literally went and climbed a mountain and then quit, all because he couldn't handle internet children saying mean things. He's a complete scumbag. He has forsaken us all. 

The thing that is really messed up about it is that the only reason he had the luxury of being able to quit is because Day Z is early access. He had already gotten paid, and a lot. He basically told us all to "**** off" and took the money and ran out of shear spite. He was but hurt over internet comments, and bailed on his beloved project that propelled him to fame and fortune. It's detestable. 

Yea because cyber-bullying ISN'T a thing and those who claim to be victims of it should just get over it. And those who weren't able to get help and unfortunately passed were just weak minded...

Get off your high horse mate.

Edited by DannyDog

So you are just going to give me my first warning in 4 years and not answer? Very worrisome. I have been careful with the wording of my sentences. You just posted something supporting the claim that DayZ should not have released early and then you refuse to acknowledge it and warn me when you realize what you just did. You have just proven everything I already know to be true. Good bye. 

Edited by Solopopo

8 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

So you are just going to give me my first warning in 4 years and not answer? Very worrisome. I have been careful with the wording of my sentences. You just posted something supporting the claim that DayZ should not have released early and then you refuse to acknowledge it when you realize what you just did. 

I think anyone who has followed dayz development closely would know the devs have alluded to the fact that they've made lots of mistakes throughout development. And that early access DID indeed become a mistake when they realized they wanted more than just dayz mod 2.0.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

42 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

Then admit to me right now that it was a bad idea for DayZ to release in early access.

How could I forget that article. It was devastating to the entire community. The fact that he didn't actually climb a mountain before quitting is kind of irrelevant. He was the figurehead of the project. His leaving looked bad no matter how you slice it. Brian Hicks may have admitted early access was a bad idea in some obscure you-tube video with 8000 views, but that's not the story we keep hearing in the status reports or anywhere else. Leaving to make his own game studio may have been exactly what he did, but it also crashed and burned, which doesn't really service your argument. 

I've already argued that DayZ was released too early long before today over on the Steam forum. Sure, I admit it, but what does this achieve?

You still didn't get the timeline right so I'm going to be very concise:
1. Dean makes contract with BI, and says he wants to go to Everest. BI agrees to give him paid leave for it.
2. Dean was on top of Everest in May 2013.
3. DayZ releases in EA in December 2013.
4. Interview comes out in February 2014 about Dean leaving by 2015. (A year in advance.)

29 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

So you are just going to give me my first warning in 4 years and not answer my question? Very worrisome. 

I'm busy with multiple things, sorry about that. Are you going to show me examples of the devs "praising Early Access?"

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 2

Solopopo, you need to get another few hobbies man. A lot of us do actually, including me. You seem to be relying on this one thing to give you your happiness.

Edited by libertine
  • Beans 1

Guys I didn't mean to get this into a heated argument. As a few of you mentioned otherwise, I have been following literally every social media account of the dev team. Read all status reports and seen all interviews / reveals / presentations DayZ dev team had held. In addition, I have watched alot of Brian Hicks' videos on youtube (yeah, those 8k view ones). You could say I was one leg into obsession with the development process

Also, yes as of a few days ago I am into a 5 years service term. (Haha citizen again in 2023).

Another clarification, DayZ is around 5 years into development. 4 years early access and 5 years development (approximately). I remember the pre-alpha videos released with ArmA 2 AK-74  models in the build, haha it was a long time before the "GIVE SA" fiesco.

What I guess I was trying to say is, no doubt mistakes were made all along the way. But with that, patience was also shown from the community for a very long time. But if you still think the playerbase can be brought back as before, I must take you for a fool. DayZ's vision is fantastic, but old. Really old. Way old that I see very little chance of reviving it. I think taking the mod into SA like that was a bad idea and the drastic changes made in the process were also either bad or too late. Ask any studio out there, you absolutely under NO CIRCUMSTANCE create an entirely different game engine in the middle of a development process, let alone in the middle of an alpha release. Is the new engine good? It is absolutely great. Was the almost 3 years halt worth it? Absolutely not.

Why does it really matter to me? to us? Because you can't run a dedicated (VERY DEDICATED mind you) community and keep them on hold. Regular players will move on, community boys will not. And that's the issue. Not taking the community into account. Take The Long Dark for example, they had built a small yet strong community, explicitly stated "Your opinions wouldn't be accounted in the development process" and in less than 4 years they released a game made from scratch. It is not perfect, but it kept a reputation to this day (Officially released a few months ago). DayZ well, it didn't had that success. It had been replaced with games like PU Battleground rather quickly in terms of fast paced loot and kill game style (which is originally a DayZ mod anyway). The slow paced game style has been replaced by games like ARK (I personally dont like it), Rust and so on.

DayZ has been a great show, and a father of several other great games. But it has been ripped apart because it couldn't stand the competition, hence the playerbase is small. Most of the playerbase is the hardcore fans (admittingly I was one).

In regards to updates, they do give a kick in terms of playerbase but the effect is very short. If you ask me, 0.63 will just be a larger kick from 0.60, but will still hold the higher playercount temporarily.

At the end, DayZ is a video game. Video games rise and fall - and I wish DayZ the best luck of all. It had me for a good few years with good memories (some to tell, some to keep). I will wish you all Merry Christmas!

• Beans 1

17 hours ago, Yuval said:

Also, yes as of a few days ago I am into a 5 years service term. (Haha citizen again in 2023).

That's exactly what your surprise might be. When you get back and remember DayZ. You may be amazed what happened to the game and what mods are all about.

Maybe it will be very different, quiet and nobody knows it yet. But no matter what the result is, it will surprise you.

In principle, you're a lucky guy, you bypass the wait with a meaningful part of a period of life that will bring you a lot of experience in the RL.

You will only win in the end, in a way.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, Yuval said:

This is a very sad move for me, but I am unfortunately withdrawing my will to invest any additional time in DayZ.

In a week I am enlisting for a 5 year service in the Israeli Defense Forces

I will wish you all Merry Christmas!

Wait, what?? 

Okay, so maybe I don't understand.  The only logic here that makes sense to me is that because you're tired of DayZ, you've decided to enlist in the IDF for 5 years.  Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems suspicious. 

Merry Christmas!  May Jesus bless your soul, especially during your stay with the IDF.

On 12/15/2017 at 10:37 PM, Yuval said:

But if you still think the playerbase can be brought back as before, I must take you for a fool. DayZ's vision is fantastic, but old. Really old. Way old that I see very little chance of reviving it. I think taking the mod into SA like that was a bad idea and the drastic changes made in the process were also either bad or too late. Ask any studio out there, you absolutely under NO CIRCUMSTANCE create an entirely different game engine in the middle of a development process, let alone in the middle of an alpha release. Is the new engine good? It is absolutely great. Was the almost 3 years halt worth it? Absolutely not.

First, you say the vision is fantastic, but old.  If it's so old, why do copy cats keep trying to emulate?  When, DayZ shows off new tech or new features, why do copy cats immediately start developing that into their projects?  When it was eluded that the caravans would be able to be moved by the V3S, why did miscreated work on and have that in their game?  They never mentioned they would have the ability to hook up trailers and such until AFTER the devs said it might be possible to do this in SA.  Why do the fans of PUBG push the developers to include firing from prone and such and even use the DayZ video shown to us a few weeks ago as an example of how to do it?  No copy cat can touch the level of visceral action and interaction DayZ brings to the table... not one game that has been developed or released.  That might be opinion, but I'm pretty sure many feel the same way. At least anyone that cares about the game really.  To say it is old, is simply not a fair assessment...AT ALL.

AAA titles take 5 years and in some cases longer to develop.  Even though BI has decided to use a new engine to replace the old one that would NEVER reach the set vision for the game, they are STILL on schedule to release within 5 years.  Yes, the primary mistake was getting into early access THEN switching engines.... but RUST did it...damn near twice, and not only did their player base come back, they have been picking up steam as of late... and while not in the same genre... what about Star Citizen? So that completely blows your engine development theory.

No one is holding a gun to your head to play this game.  If you really care about it, you will be back... they always come back.

On 09/12/2017 at 12:18 AM, svisketyggeren said:

Maybe its time to play something else and aknowledge that Dayz hasnt really changed for the worse, but u are simply fed up with same old game...

Thats the problem right there, its nothing like it used too be, most of us would love the old game back (The mod) 

52 minutes ago, Ree' said:

Thats the problem right there, its nothing like it used too be, most of us would love the old game back (The mod) 

The mod is still a great option, they just reelased a new version! 1.9

7 hours ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

First, you say the vision is fantastic, but old.  If it's so old, why do copy cats keep trying to emulate?  When, DayZ shows off new tech or new features, why do copy cats immediately start developing that into their projects?  When it was eluded that the caravans would be able to be moved by the V3S, why did miscreated work on and have that in their game?  They never mentioned they would have the ability to hook up trailers and such until AFTER the devs said it might be possible to do this in SA.  Why do the fans of PUBG push the developers to include firing from prone and such and even use the DayZ video shown to us a few weeks ago as an example of how to do it?  No copy cat can touch the level of visceral action and interaction DayZ brings to the table... not one game that has been developed or released.  That might be opinion, but I'm pretty sure many feel the same way. At least anyone that cares about the game really.  To say it is old, is simply not a fair assessment...AT ALL.

AAA titles take 5 years and in some cases longer to develop.  Even though BI has decided to use a new engine to replace the old one that would NEVER reach the set vision for the game, they are STILL on schedule to release within 5 years.  Yes, the primary mistake was getting into early access THEN switching engines.... but RUST did it...damn near twice, and not only did their player base come back, they have been picking up steam as of late... and while not in the same genre... what about Star Citizen? So that completely blows your engine development theory.

No one is holding a gun to your head to play this game.  If you really care about it, you will be back... they always come back.

The only one that might have done that prior is Survive the nights, as in 2014 i think there was a pre pre alpha trailer hookup. But trailers, campers all of that really isnt a new idea.... i think we been towing trailers for more then 70 yrs??

hehhe

Yeah, try it out when beta release @Yuval and take a break from the game in it current state. You will get a much better overall experience for sure in beta 0.63 and beyond. I`ve played dayz since the mod. was out from arma 2 as well and great memories since 2012. Happy holidays! 

Edited by Nebulae3

On 12/16/2017 at 5:37 PM, Yuval said:

Guys I didn't mean to get this into a heated argument. As a few of you mentioned otherwise, I have been following literally every social media account of the dev team. Read all status reports and seen all interviews / reveals / presentations DayZ dev team had held. In addition, I have watched alot of Brian Hicks' videos on youtube (yeah, those 8k view ones). You could say I was one leg into obsession with the development process

Another clarification, DayZ is around 5 years into development. 4 years early access and 5 years development (approximately). I remember the pre-alpha videos released with ArmA 2 AK-74  models in the build, haha it was a long time before the "GIVE SA" fiesco.

What I guess I was trying to say is, no doubt mistakes were made all along the way. But with that, patience was also shown from the community for a very long time. But if you still think the playerbase can be brought back as before, I must take you for a fool. DayZ's vision is fantastic, but old. Really old. Way old that I see very little chance of reviving it. I think taking the mod into SA like that was a bad idea and the drastic changes made in the process were also either bad or too late. Ask any studio out there, you absolutely under NO CIRCUMSTANCE create an entirely different game engine in the middle of a development process, let alone in the middle of an alpha release. Is the new engine good? It is absolutely great. Was the almost 3 years halt worth it? Absolutely not.

Why does it really matter to me? to us? Because you can't run a dedicated (VERY DEDICATED mind you) community and keep them on hold. Regular players will move on, community boys will not. And that's the issue. Not taking the community into account. Take The Long Dark for example, they had built a small yet strong community, explicitly stated "Your opinions wouldn't be accounted in the development process" and in less than 4 years they released a game made from scratch. It is not perfect, but it kept a reputation to this day (Officially released a few months ago). DayZ well, it didn't had that success. It had been replaced with games like PU Battleground rather quickly in terms of fast paced loot and kill game style (which is originally a DayZ mod anyway). The slow paced game style has been replaced by games like ARK (I personally dont like it), Rust and so on.

DayZ has been a great show, and a father of several other great games. But it has been ripped apart because it couldn't stand the competition, hence the playerbase is small. Most of the playerbase is the hardcore fans (admittingly I was one).

In regards to updates, they do give a kick in terms of playerbase but the effect is very short. If you ask me, 0.63 will just be a larger kick from 0.60, but will still hold the higher playercount temporarily.

At the end, DayZ is a video game. Video games rise and fall - and I wish DayZ the best luck of all. It had me for a good few years with good memories (some to tell, some to keep). I will wish you all Merry Christmas!

I just came back from a warning I was given ages ago to just say this is a great post. This sums up DayZ perfectly for me. 

On 12/14/2017 at 5:37 AM, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

I've already argued that DayZ was released too early long before today over on the Steam forum. Sure, I admit it, but what does this achieve?

You still didn't get the timeline right so I'm going to be very concise:
1. Dean makes contract with BI, and says he wants to go to Everest. BI agrees to give him paid leave for it.
2. Dean was on top of Everest in May 2013.
3. DayZ releases in EA in December 2013.
4. Interview comes out in February 2014 about Dean leaving by 2015. (A year in advance.)

I'm busy with multiple things, sorry about that. Are you going to show me examples of the devs "praising Early Access?"

Non Dean related, but could you answer this maybe?
Why the DayZ SA Development is so slow?
a) Lack of Budget
b) Lack of team members
c) Lack of ideas
d) Lack of experience ( Clueless team that has nothing to do with previous Bohemia's games )
Not an option: Issues with programming, bugs, engine etc.. I would understand if that was completely new engine and completely new game, but it's not really, it's just more like Arma 2 remaster, but there was like 4years for small bug fixing and minor new features which is ridiculously long time, all bugs could've been fixed in like half year if that was the same people who worked on Arma 3 / Arma 2 for example the cars took ages to work properly and it still doesn't work well, but for some reason the team who worked on A3 made the whole game in 2 years nearly without any bugs ( if reusing assets is allowed, why not to reuse some vehicle mechanics/physics for example and tweak it to make it better? ). So i bet the answer is d.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, exacomvm said:

Non Dean related, but could you answer this maybe?
Why the DayZ SA Development is so slow?
a) Lack of Budget
b) Lack of team members
c) Lack of ideas
d) Lack of experience ( Clueless team that has nothing to do with previous Bohemia's games )
Not an option: Issues with programming, bugs, engine etc.. I would understand if that was completely new engine and completely new game, but it's not really, it's just more like Arma 2 remaster, but there was like 4years for small bug fixing and minor new features which is ridiculously long time, all bugs could've been fixed in like half year if that was the same people who worked on Arma 3 / Arma 2 for example the cars took ages to work properly and it still doesn't work well, but for some reason the team who worked on A3 made the whole game in 2 years nearly without any bugs ( if reusing assets is allowed, why not to reuse some vehicle mechanics/physics for example and tweak it to make it better? ). So i bet the answer is d.

That's a very loaded question and I don't think the answer is any of the ones you're offering.

it would be better to close the thread here. The sense is slowly lost .... it will be like Steam.

10 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

it would be better to close the thread here. The sense is slowly lost .... it will be like Steam.

I agree.