Yuval

After 5 years, I am leaving the DayZ community.

This is not a troll post, do not remove or censor this post please.

This is a very sad move for me, but I am unfortunately withdrawing my will to invest any additional time in DayZ.

DayZ mod was a breakthrough that lead me and the best of my friends to play it and the ArmA games. With over atleast 4000 hours on ArmA 2 DayZ mod, 2000 recorded hours on ArmA 3 and just a few (400) hours on the standalone - I wish to say I am very very sad to make this decision  as this time was the best of my teenage years. But I should have it done earlier.

We (my friends) got to DayZ mod by watching all of FRANKIEonPCs videos (before the whole hacking scandal was discovered) on DayZ. I remember we decided to buy it when he released his 27th video on the mod. DayZ had a charm we never seen before (we were much younger back then). Our whole middle school period was coming home, going on skype and playing DayZ. It was fucking amazing. We played entire weekends, and after school having awesome experiences. It was very special. We also played countless games on ArmA 3 Epoch, meeting long lasting e-relationships with people abroad. We know so many people because of the VOIP ingame. That period still is the best gaming years I've had.

But times changed. The standalone was released, it was buggy but hella fun. I remember the first day it got out we bought it. Only the M4, SKS and Mosin were available. We would run all around the coast having amazing fights. Honestly we didn't need vehicles. I didn't mind running half an hour from Elektro to Kamenka military.

But really it got worse from that point. Practically every patch released made the game less fun for us. When vehicles were released, we weren't happy. To this very day, we believe patch 0.55 wasn't the nail in the coffin, but the dirt ontop of that coffin. Dean was long gone from the development team, bad decisions were obviously taken in-house but what killed it are the happy status reports as if it is all good - do you guys remember the "helicopter reveal, base building and contaminated zones"? Yeah, barely do I.

DayZ got me into modding back in the day. Modding was a unique experience. It was so fun and I learnt so much, no doubt it helped me carve a future to a programming career. I have built soooooo many projects from scratched (have barely released a fraction of, usually scrapped them eventually). I think quarter my time on ArmA 2 and half my time on ArmA 3 is purely modding. Modding is very beautiful when you get to know it well, it is a great concept BIS had always admired.

I feel like ever since Dean took off, DayZ was *falling* from the high mile club of success. I am very sad to see that. I have been in these forums for years trying to look for a good sign in status reports but really, it seems each status report is just emptier than the other. We will never be told what goes behind the curtains really, but it just seems like one dead end.

I miss the old times so much, it is hard to let go of them and continue on but it must happen at some point. In a week I am enlisting for a 5 year service in the Israeli Defense Forces, it is a big change in my life moving forward I planned on releasing a map for DayZ Standalone as the devs promised modding tools before the end of 2017. That has sadly not happened, therefore I wish to say that I have atleast finished half of it now (and that half is fully playable and beautiful). It is based on Namalsk, Taviana and Panthera. My 3 most favorite maps of all times. I wish you all a happy time moving onwards, and hope you will find more enjoyment with DayZ once the new engine is up!

Before I end this, I wish to shoutout for Adam Francu, for being one brilliant modder who is currently a level designer in the team. Also IceBreakr, who made legendary maps for ArmA 2 (also used in DayZ mod) - Panthera is an all time favourite map mod of mine in all games! Taviana by Martin Bauer is the most beautiful creation I have seen in a mod. Last but not least, Dean "Rocket" Hall for making this mod and game - giving thousands of players all around the world great time.

Long last DayZ.

Edited by Yuval
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 4

7 minutes ago, Yuval said:

. Practically every patch released made the game less fun for us.

That was your first and only problem to begin with.  It wasn't a game yet and still isn't.  It's in a development stage and has been for quite a long time.  Each patch introduced different mechanics for us to test to see how they work and they removed some that either did work or weren't working properly.  Alpha testing isn't suppose to be fun per se if you understand what you are getting yourself into.

Anyways, take care and farewell.

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Confused 1
  • Beans 4

Yo dawg, Rocket had a great idea but was in no way shape or form capable of turning that idea into a finished game. Dude had everybody making payday masks because he happened to be playing payday at the time, next he was playing Project Zomboid trying to figure out how to make Dayz exactly like that. The guy spun his wheels for the majority of the time he was at the helm and it wasn't until Hicks took over that it started to develop. You are capitol "C" confused when it comes to where the game was, is and is going if you think Dean "I'm a grenade!" Hall would be doing anything other than trying to crowbar in dinosaurs right now. 

Secondly: I'm super glad you've blossomed into a man and all that but maybe using an early access zombie game as your high water mark of life is, perhaps, you starting at the little ball instead of the big one. 

Thirdly: The games been trash for a great period during which you have been playing it. Not sure why now, when its starting to finally take shape, you would bail (unless of course it has something to do with you GROWING UP and your interests changing). 

The games fun now, I think you are just having a moment and should come back in February. *HUGS*

• Beans 7

I never have understood why people feel the need to announce they are leaving.  And if DayZ is really as special as he says it is, he'll be back at Beta.  They always come back.  DayZ always draws you back in.

• Like 1
  • Beans 11

15 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

That was your first and only problem to begin with.  It wasn't a game yet and still isn't.  It's in a development stage and has been for quite a long time.  Each patch introduced different mechanics for us to test to see how they work and they removed some that either did work or weren't working properly.  Alpha testing isn't suppose to be fun per se if you understand what you are getting yourself into.

Anyways, take care and farewell.

alpha testing isn't suppose to be fun?  don't agree at all.  have done many alphas in my life time and a great majority have been.

I think the main issue with Dayz is how long it's taken.   To keep throwing out the "It's in alpha" canned response at this point is a bit ridiculous.  You can stand up for this game as long as you want, but 5+ years is a bit much.   

Edited by plasma (DayZ)

A couple of months (at most) away from beta release and you leave.

Makes sense..

4 hours ago, Trnc84 said:

A couple of months (at most) away from beta release and you leave.

Makes sense..

He's also, enlisting into a five year term into his countries military service, I'm sure this was a big big part of him leaving.

@Yuval Best of luck to you during your term of service, and whatever the future may bring.

5 hours ago, plasma (DayZ) said:

but 5+ years is a bit much.   

RELEASE DATE:

16 Dec, 2013.  Learn your time frame please :)  And this is actually on par for a game being created from scratch without reusing assets from previous games.

14 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

created from scratch without reusing assets from previous games.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Baker. said:

You realize that they reworked the game from scratch under the new engine and have been slowly adding modules from the new engine into the game we have now.  They've also be redoing all the animations for the infected and players.  Let's not forget the new sounds

43 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

You realize that they reworked the game from scratch under the new engine and have been slowly adding modules from the new engine into the game we have now.  They've also be redoing all the animations for the infected and players.  Let's not forget the new sounds

Yes but you said

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

created from scratch without reusing assets from previous games.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Baker. said:

Yes but you said

Ok, what part are you not getting?  You're quoting and repeating exactly what I just said.  Name the assets that they used?

3 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Ok, what part are you not getting?  You're quoting and repeating exactly what I just said.  Name the assets that they used?

I suppose I could type out a list of the 100's of reused assets or just I could just stare at you blankly in confusion.

o.o

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Arma, Arma 2 oa assets. Though they are placeholders, it still invalidates your statement.

It's good that they have previous games under their belt to be able to not start completely from scratch like most other games have. Especially ones on limited budget that require outsourcing or third party purchasing of assets.

• Beans 1

11 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Arma, Arma 2 oa assets. Though they are placeholders, it still invalidates your statement.

It's good that they have previous games under their belt to be able to not start completely from scratch like most other games have. Especially ones on limited budget that require outsourcing or third party purchasing of assets.

If that was the case they wouldn't even have to wait with the enfusion engine.  The could have just slapped everything in and call it a day.... smh

On 12/6/2017 at 9:16 PM, THEGordonFreeman said:

I never have understood why people feel the need to announce they are leaving.  And if DayZ is really as special as he says it is, he'll be back at Beta.  They always come back.  DayZ always draws you back in.

Yup same here, you either play it or you don't. Really many of us don't care if someone goes or comes. You make friends, you say hi and bye. Really doesn't make sense other then someone is depressed, needs a break or has to bring negative things to a forum. Really i couldn't care less either. I am sure he will be back to play it again and again like the rest of us when it is fully completed. So i would say OP is just looking to address his concerns and in hopes to tell the devs. I expect this to head to the trash yard.

11 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

If that was the case they wouldn't even have to wait with the enfusion engine.  The could have just slapped everything in and call it a day.... smh

"Game assets include everything that can go into a game, including 3D models, sprites, sound effects, music, code snippets and modules, and even complete projects that can be used by a game"

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
Tone down the excessive formatting.

OP has played Dayz and ARMA for 6400 hours. There is 8760 hours in a year for comparison.

Maybe its time to play something else and aknowledge that Dayz hasnt really changed for the worse, but u are simply fed up with same old game...

By all means, everyone is entitled to their own opinions...but saying Dayz changed for the worse is just objectively wrong to say. I myself dont play Dayz atm, but its not because the game has gone bad or something. I play on and off, keep the game fresh. Many of the people on the forum here should try it...

Edited by svisketyggeren
aerg
  • Like 1
  • Beans 4

10 hours ago, Baker. said:

"Game assets include everything that can go into a game, including 3D models, sprites, sound effects, music, code snippets and modules, and even complete projects that can be used by a game"

Golf clap, you discovered what goes into a game.  You're still not grasping what I actually said.  Good day to you.  smh

Just fixed formatting in quote.

57 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Golf clap, you discovered what goes into a game.  You're still not grasping what I actually said.  Good day to you.  smh

Everyone is grasping it.

Assets have been widely reused. 

To claim otherwise while still claiming to be familiar with the game renders you nothing but a troll. So good day indeed.

10 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Seeing as you only joined the forum just last year I wouldn't be surprised if you are lacking the relevant information to make an assumption like dayz sa started from scratch.

Edited by DannyDog

@Guy Smiley Stop it with the condescending tone already, that's neither useful nor constructive.

Yes, assets have been reused. Yes, they've been (and are being) tweaked/updated/reworked to meet new standards.

Nitpicking on what/why is a pointless endeavour, especially when the overall tone is what it has been so far.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 1:05 AM, DannyDog said:

Seeing as you only joined the forum just last year I wouldn't be surprised if you are lacking the relevant information to make an assumption like dayz sa started from scratch.

I've been following the forums since the DayZ mod days.  Just because I only decided to finally make a forum account last year doesn't mean I don't know wtf is going on

On 12/6/2017 at 7:24 PM, Yuval said:

I feel like ever since Dean took off, DayZ was *falling* from the high mile club of success. I am very sad to see that. I have been in these forums for years trying to look for a good sign in status reports but really, it seems each status report is just emptier than the other. We will never be told what goes behind the curtains really, but it just seems like one dead end.

Everything presently wrong with DayZ is the fault of Dean Hall. I actually feel bad for the current devs. They are the only ones trying to make DayZ a reality. I can't believe he abandoned them like that. I can't believe he abandoned us. He had the eyes of the entire world on him and he literally went and climbed a mountain and then quit, all because he couldn't handle internet children saying mean things. He's a complete scumbag. He has forsaken us all. 

The thing that is really messed up about it is that the only reason he had the luxury of being able to quit is because Day Z is early access. He had already gotten paid, and a lot. He basically told us all to "**** off" and took the money and ran out of shear spite. He was but hurt over internet comments, and bailed on his beloved project that propelled him to fame and fortune. It's detestable. 

There is a reason the majority of professional game developers don't do what he did, aside from the fact that it is characteristically unprofessional to do so. They still have money to earn. The irony of it all is that his leaving is undeniable proof that early access doesn't work, but the devs themselves still go on about how great and innovative it is. The delusion is thick. It's not like I'm the only one to point this out either. The general consensus, now even on these forums, is that the devs need to come clean about early access. Aside from the devs, there are probably five people left in the world who truly believe early access has been a good thing for DayZ's "development." 

Edited by Solopopo

1 hour ago, Solopopo said:

Everything presently wrong with DayZ is the fault of Dean Hall. I actually feel bad for the current devs. They are the only ones trying to make DayZ a reality. I can't believe he abandoned them like that. I can't believe he abandoned us. He had the eyes of the entire world on him and he literally went and climbed a mountain and then quit, all because he couldn't handle internet children saying mean things. He's a complete scumbag. He has forsaken us all. 

The thing that is really messed up about it is that the only reason he had the luxury of being able to quit is because Day Z is early access. He had already gotten paid, and a lot. He basically told us all to "**** off" and took the money and ran out of shear spite. He was but hurt over internet comments, and bailed on his beloved project that propelled him to fame and fortune. It's detestable. 

There is a reason the majority of professional gaming developers don't do what he did. They still have money to earn. The irony of it all is that his leaving is undeniable proof that early access doesn't work, but the devs themselves still go on about how great and innovative it is. The delusion is thick. It's not like I'm the only one to point this out either. The general consensus, now even on these forums, is that the devs need to come clean about early access. Aside from the devs, there are probably five people left in the world who truly believe early access has been a good thing for DayZ's development. 

1. You can't blame "everything that is wrong with DayZ" on any one person.

2. Dean didn't just "up and leave," you don't even have the timeline right.
2.a. The Everest hike happened before the EA launch in May 2013. It was in his contract that he would go. (Linked in the next part.)
2.b. He told us a full year in advance that he would eventually leave. There was a big article about it. DayZ was never his dream project, it just blew up on its own but he had no intentions of sticking with it, ever. Even in an interview about the Everest thing in 2013, he said his plan was to open up his own game studio in New Zeland, which is exactly what he did by the end of 2014 when his contract with Bohemia ended.

3. Dean is just one guy, and said he wouldn't be a good project lead. Why would you want to force a guy with that mindset to stay on a project, even if you could? The team he left behind and the person who took over his spot know the vision for DayZ, it has just been a long road to get there.

4. If there is anything to "come clean about," it has already happened. I don't know where you're even finding the devs actively praising Early Access, I'd be curious to see the context.

• Like 1
  • Beans 3