rickyriot

Let's just state the obvious: the PC BETA is not coming before the end of 2017

Source: https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-28th-november

So.. why have I cut and pasted from the Status Report?
For one simple reason, the vast majority of infrequent visitors to this site are looking for that information.

Previously we were constantly told, "it's Alpha", "it'll be ready when it's ready", which is a bit of a lazy response but it did have it's merit because we had no definitive information either way.
Now, however, we do have a concrete timeline statement so I think it should be published prominently.

I am both disappointed and completely unsurprised by this information, but giving my 2 cents worth really won't help here.

I hope the moderators will see this thread not as a negative, it's purely informative without any spin added on top.

1 hour ago, rickyriot said:

Source: https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-28th-november

So.. why have I cut and pasted from the Status Report?
For one simple reason, the vast majority of infrequent visitors to this site are looking for that information.

Previously we were constantly told, "it's Alpha", "it'll be ready when it's ready", which is a bit of a lazy response but it did have it's merit because we had no definitive information either way.
Now, however, we do have a concrete timeline statement so I think it should be published prominently.

I am both disappointed and completely unsurprised by this information, but giving my 2 cents worth really won't help here.

I hope the moderators will see this thread not as a negative, it's purely informative without any spin added on top.

knowing the devs and what you've just summed up.. this IS negative because indirectly you're saying this: Previously we were constantly told, "it's Alpha", "it'll be ready when it's ready", which is a bit of a lazy response

Don't get me wrong.. LOTS and LOTS of people have said this... but some people (like myself) have felt the wrath of the admins (even hicks himself) for being 'non-constructive'

as far as the 'set/concrete timeline' thats not even a thing... because they've not set a 'time'  for anything.. all they did in the status report was tell us:

- this is kinda done but needs tweaks
- this is done but needs overhaul to fix XYZ
- this is almost complete but needs internal testing
- this is an idea we have laying around.. but will 'probably'  not be added until 1.0
- this is done but we need more time before we fully implament it (modding)

So technically their not giving any timeline on anything related to 'time when its done'

https://dayz.com/dev-hub

come on man be real here.. it's been almost 6 years.. since the SA was launched.. they had the exact same setup as a timeline in 2015.. NON of that was ever achieved in the set timeline it was supposed to be done
some of it was (and later it was taken out to be overhauled and not yet put back in)
some of it wasn't near ready because they had all of these wild ideas but no means software/program wise to release them the way THEY wanted.. with the SPECS they wanted
'because the technology wasn't ready/as far as it is now'

so long story short..

they have stuff laying about..
non of that is ready to implament without atleast some major tweaks for stability/server performance issues they need to resolve
they need more time (like they've always needed, cause a game can't be made better in 4 weeks)
we just need to understand this fact, shut our mouths and wait for it :)

simple as that my friend

Edited by Tigermonk

It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain positive or give back constructive feedback, when for the most part, DayZ and it's progression has felt very much void of, "Progression".

Alot of the additions/changes ect. that have been made in previous updates feel very much like a teeter-totter, where you'll get updates/content, but then it goes right back down to nothingness because it's either very short lived content/changes or it's really not content because it's taking what's already there and making it worse/better.

And the reason why people bring up, "It's Alpha", "It's Early-Release", "You've read or been warned of .... " ect. as, "lazy responses", is that is what we always get as feedback from other forum members/moderators ect. to any/all sort of criticisms towards this game or it's development staff...

Just as people defending DayZ's state, are tired of criticism w/o constructive feedback, people who criticize are also fed up with the same ol' responses or reasons to as how DayZ and it's staff, can remain in it's current state for as long as it has been.

Also, it feels like to me atleast, any real constructive threads or responses don't make it to the developers, as in, the developement of DayZ SA will remain as they want it, no matter the suggestions, because they get swept under the rug. Just like the simple thread discussing a, "Auto-run" hotkey be put in, it was flamed and contested by people who just pound their chests about, "STAMINA", being the sole reason not to have it, or that, "I might run off a cliff because I looked away for a few seconds..." sort of responses.

As for my constructive feedback, I struggle to think of any that hasn't been said already, and while I like playing the game, certain aspects of it or mechanics/controls that could be changed/removed ect. aren't going to happen because, I feel voices are muffled and not shown to the developers, or else, you would see a lot more community outreach from developers such as responding to threads like this one, ect.

Thank you, and keep on surviving.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

A wise man once said: "disappointment is created by expectations".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nl said:

A wise man once said: "disappointment is created by expectations".

so what you're basically saying is that we don't have to expect everything...

so basically everyone needs to not post anything anymore.. no more updates.. forget about this game and move on..
i mean... where work is done.. a certain expectation is raised..

be it by the community supporting the project
or the higher ups who actually lend/buy you a studio to work in... and expect output after a certain amount of time..
so what happens when bohemia is 'dissapointed' with the devs... is that your sole reaction to them as well?

don't expect shit cause you'll only be dissapointed..
if thats ur input to life.. I wonder where you've found a job int he first place in the netherlands.. lol

furthermore... they're still posting updates... status reports and so on.. we're doing XYZ because we need X amount of more time to do Y and Z
they're creating said expectation because they keep up enganged in the project this way...
so the fact that people are getting dissapointed goes hand in hand with what they're feeding us won't you agree? or is that assumption not 'wise' xD

Edited by Tigermonk

People only remember great games, and not how long it took to make them.

In all reality tho, they already said it wasn't going to be at the end of 2017 in the report. No need to make a whole post complaining that it won't be...

3 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

if thats ur input to life.. I wonder where you've found a job int he first place in the netherlands.. lol

Attacking someone else on a personal level really does invalidate your reasoning, you're aware of that, right?

4 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

come on man be real here.. it's been almost 6 years.. since the SA was launched.. 

Seeing as you obviously don't seem to have a concept of time, I am not really surprised that you feel like nothing is happening.

Let's put this into perspective real quick:

6 years ago the mod wasn't even released - the Addon Operation Arrowhead for ARMA 2 was released 6 years ago. The mod was released 5 years ago, the very first version of the standalone in 2013.

Incase this is not clear - you can have discussions about the state of the game and its development progress. If you want to talk about the Status Report, don't just post the link intending to talk about it - as there's a separate section and thread for each status report located here:

https://forums.dayz.com/forum/134-developer-discussion-status-reports/ 

Getting personal in your postings will fast-track you to a timeout in the corner of shame, as personal attacks are not acceptable, no matter who the target may be.

• Beans 2

6 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

so what you're basically saying is that we don't have to expect everything...

so basically everyone needs to not post anything anymore.. no more updates.. forget about this game and move on..
i mean... where work is done.. a certain expectation is raised..

be it by the community supporting the project
or the higher ups who actually lend/buy you a studio to work in... and expect output after a certain amount of time..
so what happens when bohemia is 'dissapointed' with the devs... is that your sole reaction to them as well?

don't expect shit cause you'll only be dissapointed..

furthermore... they're still posting updates... status reports and so on.. we're doing XYZ because we need X amount of more time to do Y and Z
they're creating said expectation because they keep up enganged in the project this way...
so the fact that people are getting dissapointed goes hand in hand with what they're feeding us won't you agree? or is that assumption not 'wise' xD

What I am saying is: let them do their job, don't be impatient at this stage and after years of anticipation. It's just a game which we did not pay that much for and many of us already had their moneys worth (I did). Once the game is done we can judge the end-result. Maybe the devs will be praised, maybe they will be scorned, time will tell. This game can really only be judged when the platform  they are building is robust and the modding community have shown their creativity in catering to all possible needs and play styles. The latter will take probably take another year or two after final release. You signed up for a place on the bus and now you just have to ride it until the end. The destination will reveal itself in due time, meanwhile enjoy the trip. If you expect something you may get disappointed,  keep an open mind and you may be surprised by what you get.

• Beans 4

12 hours ago, nl said:

What I am saying is: let them do their job, don't be impatient at this stage and after years of anticipation. It's just a game which we did not pay that much for and many of us already had their moneys worth (I did). Once the game is done we can judge the end-result. Maybe the devs will be praised, maybe they will be scorned, time will tell. This game can really only be judged when the platform  they are building is robust and the modding community have shown their creativity in catering to all possible needs and play styles. The latter will take probably take another year or two after final release. You signed up for a place on the bus and now you just have to ride it until the end. The destination will reveal itself in due time, meanwhile enjoy the trip. If you expect something you may get disappointed,  keep an open mind and you may be surprised by what you get.

But if people just swallow what is being developed and go with it, and offer zero feed back because, "Alpha", then how will the development team know how the community feels? If we just ignore the pink elephant in the room and wait till full release to then criticize certain aspects of the game, there will be most likely a lot more changes/poor opinions that the developers will then have to mull over and change/add, that if they listened and seen the criticisms that people have as a tool to improve the game NOW sooner then LATER it will save them additional work that could have been prevented. But if we all move along like sheep and keep chewing on the same patch of grass, they'll never know.

24 minutes ago, comikz said:

But if people just swallow what is being developed and go with it, and offer zero feed back because, "Alpha", then how will the development team know how the community feels? If we just ignore the pink elephant in the room and wait till full release to then criticize certain aspects of the game, there will be most likely a lot more changes/poor opinions that the developers will then have to mull over and change/add, that if they listened and seen the criticisms that people have as a tool to improve the game NOW sooner then LATER it will save them additional work that could have been prevented. But if we all move along like sheep and keep chewing on the same patch of grass, they'll never know.

When did I say we could not offer critique or game suggestions? It's just the bitching and moaning about the development timeline I am responding to.

17 hours ago, kichilron said:

If you want to talk about the Status Report, don't just post the link intending to talk about it - as there's a separate section and thread for each status report located here:

As a mod you'll be the arbiter of whether this thread has value in this part of the forum. I feel that the majority of non-frequent visitors to the forum will be looking for this information.

I'm sure you'll appreciate I could have been far more aggressive with my comments, I specifically stepped back from that.

22 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

this IS negative because indirectly you're saying this: Previously we were constantly told, "it's Alpha", "it'll be ready when it's ready", which is a bit of a lazy response

You are completely wrong, it is not negative it is informational. The very fact you only chose to highlight one part of the sentence and not the rest shows you are scrambling to fit an agenda.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nl said:

When did I say we could not offer critique or game suggestions? It's just the bitching and moaning about the development timeline I am responding to.

You didn't say the words, but the message in your response was.

"Hey all don't have expectations and seeing as how you/I didn't pay much to be on this bus ride, it's ok to not have a steadily developing game."

DayZ SA made over 12,000,000 million dollars in the FIRST week of sales revenue 5,100,000 was made in the first 24 hours of sales.

See any critiques or complaints or criticisms are labeled as people bitching, or whining, or complaining just for the sake to be upset about it.

With ALL paid for this game, the good and the bad, and we are all free to voice our opinions/thoughts, not just the, "Wowza this game is amazing", ones...

Edited by comikz
  • Beans 1

The more time that passes the more this "issue" is becoming a question of "faith" in the developers rather than a somewhat prolonged timetable following a windy road.

In any case, we all want to reach the promised land with Hicks and his disciples developers but time has sown some nagging doubts that are beginning to raise a question - not the final destination and development conclusion of the game - but whether it will have been worth it after all.

Will DayZ eventually become that unmistakably exceptional, hard core survival, breathtaking game that so many have been waiting for or, will the end result be a giant anticlimax?

Time will tell.

Regards

So beta not coming this year ? :/ Thought they said few months at most, well  a good few months ago ? 

On 01/12/2017 at 5:21 PM, Ree' said:

So beta not coming this year ? :/ Thought they said few months at most, well  a good few months ago ? 

Sadly that seems to be the case. In many ways I wished they had said no demo until at least Q1 2018 when it was abundantly clear the expo demo was not capable of making it as a public exp build.

I do want to talk more about this, but as @kichilron has pointed out there are other threads for that intent. I'm keeping this one clean purely to stop this being merged with other threads when really most people come in here looking for one answer (the one in the title).

Edited by rickyriot
  • Like 1

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

• Beans 1