Hajami

Turn the Apples and Berries Off please (Turn this Gamebreaker Off)

I just read the Status report and iam ok with 0.63 ariving in 2018. Like always the Devs are communicating openely and honest with us, even without Dean Hall, this aproach survived and thats good in my opinion.

Some friends and I would also like to play Dayz 0.62, but the Gamebreaking Apples demotivate us. These broken Apple Food impacts the game very negativ in several Gameplay Areas.
Any chance the Devs turn them Off on Official Stable Servers ? (Berries also)

It would turn 0.62 into a real Survival Game for us.
Get rid of the easy endless Food, which Apples and Berries provide and turn em off until the new better system arrives with 0.63.

Link to Steam Thread about this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/1489992713687779955/

My apples brings all the boys to the yard!

B5055DC8FD41023588FCAB45FAC7962C2494370C

BBF72702BF57E26F3C4E408D1E72C37A43CFA8D2

Edited by DMentMan
  • Beans 1

Removing Apple's and Berry's is good for "Hard and Snappy Veterans."

However, it is very harmful to "new players" in its current state. And there are not really many new players at the moment, and the help of the "old DayZ players" has also reached a relatively low limit.

I do not like the apple and berries either (as they are now, ok blue berrys are hard to find in a legal way).

But I've been deliberately playing it for about 1 year without the glitch ... and use it only in emergency situations. So I'm ready for the "new apple generation".

Thank you DMentMan your Pictures totally show what i mean.

You eat up than you go back into camping positions.

I have nothing against campers, but you got it to easy. But i also get that you see everything else as WASTE OF TIME at the moment. (not literally you , but players like this)

Yes thats the sideefects of apples or the knowing that others circumvent survival and can be like you 2. And there the game goes down.... And you do it because others do it and who would like to give the others an advantage?

So i asume you and your Friend are a bigger danger to New Players than "No Apples" i have faith in new players being able to hear and or see and find Chickens or to eat other players to get some time to find a tent to prepare some tools to get other food next time. But the game aint that hard so thats normaly not needed and you find tools on the way. And even if they make it hard, it would benefit us players.

I thought Devs wanted to make a hard surival  mmo like game, and that allready tons of xbox users cant wait to get that. No Apples would be a step into that direction but actualy in 0.62 we would be still miles away from that goal. And inlands is still much more Loot than on the Coast, so i see no problem. Or am i wrong and missing something important?

Edited by Hajami

30 minutes ago, Hajami said:

i have faith in new players being able to hear and or see and find Chickens or to eat other players to get some time to find a tent to prepare

"Eat other other players" you may play like that , but what does that say about humanity. you want apple rules for other players but you brake the rules of humanity. 

11 hours ago, Hajami said:

I just read the Status report and iam ok with 0.63 ariving in 2018. Like always the Devs are communicating openely and honest with us, even without Dean Hall, this aproach survived and thats good in my opinion.

Some friends and I would also like to play Dayz 0.62, but the Gamebreaking Apples demotivate us. These broken Apple Food impacts the game very negativ in several Gameplay Areas.
Any chance the Devs turn them Off on Official Stable Servers ? (Berries also)

It would turn 0.62 into a real Survival Game for us.
Get rid of the easy endless Food, which Apples and Berries provide and turn em off until the new better system arrives with 0.63.

Link to Steam Thread about this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/1489992713687779955/

You seem to be at a real rampage against apples, considering I read several appeals from you. But keep in mind that DAYS SA is a platform on which different players find different ways to play the game. Being a bandit, a lone wolf, a survivor, a hunter, an explorer and maybe even someone looking for his lost wife and child. Point being, if you think apples make the game too easy for you, you can easily make a rule for yourself: "don't pick apples". In the mean time you should wait for 1.0 and after that I am quite sure there will be modded servers that make survival really hard or maybe even almost impossible.

In "reality" an apple orchard, or, hell, a single tree, would provide an absolutely immense amount of food. A single survivor could glut themselves on food for DAYS, with very little energy expended in gathering it.

The thing is:

1) apples do not provide much in the way of actual nutrition. Lots of water, lots of sugar, not a lot of other stuff. They will fill your stomach, but that is about it.

Ive thought for a long time that the nutrition system should be more complex. Right now, you can pound down nothing but canned food for weeks. In my opinion, a varied diet should prevent you from getting sick as often, and the inverse should be true as well. But that might be an argument for another time.

2) i have also always thought that apple trees, berry bushes, and other "lootables" (chicken coops, other resources) should have inventories, as opposed to having infinite sources of stuff. Being able to see stuff in the world (apples bobbing on branches is a big one) and i "dont find anything" is annoying and little more than artificial difficulty.

• Beans 1

15 hours ago, Conrad_The_Comrade said:

You've been holding onto that screenshot for some time haven't ya DMentMan? 

Yup since 2014. There were no animations at the time for picking apples and we just spammed F and got a million apples haha =D

• Beans 1

17 minutes ago, DMentMan said:

Yup since 2014. There were no animations at the time for picking apples and we just spammed F and got a million apples haha =D

Oh trust me I remember, I bought the game day one. It's just weird seeing that UI again.

• Beans 1

14 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

In "reality" an apple orchard, or, hell, a single tree, would provide an absolutely immense amount of food. A single survivor could glut themselves on food for DAYS, with very little energy expended in gathering it.

The thing is:

1) apples do not provide much in the way of actual nutrition. Lots of water, lots of sugar, not a lot of other stuff. They will fill your stomach, but that is about it.

Ive thought for a long time that the nutrition system should be more complex. Right now, you can pound down nothing but canned food for weeks. In my opinion, a varied diet should prevent you from getting sick as often, and the inverse should be true as well. But that might be an argument for another time.

2) i have also always thought that apple trees, berry bushes, and other "lootables" (chicken coops, other resources) should have inventories, as opposed to having infinite sources of stuff. Being able to see stuff in the world (apples bobbing on branches is a big one) and i "dont find anything" is annoying and little more than artificial difficulty.

here!! have my beans... you just nailed the entire 'survival frustration' i've had since the SA came out... there's food litteraly everywhere in the world..

- pine needle tea
- berries
- apples
- canned food
- wildlife

you name it.. only thing is.. on a map with so much potential the pure lack of survival aspect of things are MORE annoying then some apple glitch (like you said) you can choose not to use..

I've stated this in other topics, when we played SA for the first time.. we had a crew of 10 people.. 3 of those people are active serving militairy.. 1 of those is a hobby survivalist..
they'd look at all the cosmetics in the game and go:

there's 10.000.000 pine trees.. but no pine needle collection
there's 10.000 sticks on the ground and you have to click 20 times to find a single stick?
there's no option to boil water.. eventhough you can put a 'cooking' pot on a fire (hanging from a tripod) or on a stove in a house LOGIC (boiled water is essential in a world where purification tabs are worth diamonds!)
there's about 50 km² of woods ALL around this map.. there haven't been people here since 2012 (release of the SA) but there's maybe 20 cows and 20 deer + 3 packs of wolves? LOGIC
(take a look at chernobyl for your example on wildlife without humans)

all these things are highly frustrating in a game who's main focus is telling 'your story'  and show the way you 'survive'

the real 'hardcore survivalist isn't going to play this game for very long because there's no reason behind its mechanics yet.. being logic whatsoever

your take on a more complex system for 'being healthy' and diatery plan is very valid. since people need X amount of cal. intake to function
and a ton of vitamines/minerals to be considered healthy..

stuffing your face with apples isn't going to do anything nutritional wise (like you stated)
but the lack of wildlive/livestock to hunt is just unreal.. knowing HOW many farms dayz has.. how many grasland
the animal population should be in the 100's (I know server wise that would break the server) but quicker respawns should solve that

20 deer up north
20 deer in the west
3 cows near the coast
10 cows spread across the fields of farms in chernarus..

10 deer get kiled?
10 deer directly spawn someplace else (just like the zombies used to do)
just to keep up appearences wise that there's wildlife all around chernarus.. so you don't spend 45 min looking for a group of deer in the middle of nowhere..

because in that 45 min.. you could have filled ATLEAST.. ATLEAST 10 mountain backpacks full of apples on your own.. but that breaks the game...

Edited by Tigermonk
  • Like 1

I normally try my best to rely on canned foods, wildlife, and agriculture, but when I'm in desperate times...

I'd go for an apple or two

On 11/30/2017 at 12:34 PM, Tigermonk said:

here!! have my beans... you just nailed the entire 'survival frustration' i've had since the SA came out... there's food litteraly everywhere in the world..

- pine needle tea
- berries
- apples
- canned food
- wildlife

you name it.. only thing is.. on a map with so much potential the pure lack of survival aspect of things are MORE annoying then some apple glitch (like you said) you can choose not to use..

I've stated this in other topics, when we played SA for the first time.. we had a crew of 10 people.. 3 of those people are active serving militairy.. 1 of those is a hobby survivalist..
they'd look at all the cosmetics in the game and go:

there's 10.000.000 pine trees.. but no pine needle collection
there's 10.000 sticks on the ground and you have to click 20 times to find a single stick?
there's no option to boil water.. eventhough you can put a 'cooking' pot on a fire (hanging from a tripod) or on a stove in a house LOGIC (boiled water is essential in a world where purification tabs are worth diamonds!)
there's about 50 km² of woods ALL around this map.. there haven't been people here since 2012 (release of the SA) but there's maybe 20 cows and 20 deer + 3 packs of wolves? LOGIC
(take a look at chernobyl for your example on wildlife without humans)

all these things are highly frustrating in a game who's main focus is telling 'your story'  and show the way you 'survive'

the real 'hardcore survivalist isn't going to play this game for very long because there's no reason behind its mechanics yet.. being logic whatsoever

your take on a more complex system for 'being healthy' and diatery plan is very valid. since people need X amount of cal. intake to function
and a ton of vitamines/minerals to be considered healthy..

stuffing your face with apples isn't going to do anything nutritional wise (like you stated)
but the lack of wildlive/livestock to hunt is just unreal.. knowing HOW many farms dayz has.. how many grasland
the animal population should be in the 100's (I know server wise that would break the server) but quicker respawns should solve that

20 deer up north
20 deer in the west
3 cows near the coast
10 cows spread across the fields of farms in chernarus..

10 deer get kiled?
10 deer directly spawn someplace else (just like the zombies used to do)
just to keep up appearences wise that there's wildlife all around chernarus.. so you don't spend 45 min looking for a group of deer in the middle of nowhere..

because in that 45 min.. you could have filled ATLEAST.. ATLEAST 10 mountain backpacks full of apples on your own.. but that breaks the game...

This. Dear god so much of this. I favor RP servers since endless battle royale is boring to me. Being a survival hobbyist in real life, there are so many things that frustrate me about this game. Sticks, strings, and/or rocks can get a lot of food for example, but all there was involved hunting down a wire. That got taken out. Farms everywhere, but no edible plants except the broken apple trees. Said trees have a glitch that actually makes them more realistic (though probably annoying on nonRP servers) in that one can easily gather a lot of apples from a single tree quickly. Berry picking is a waste of time. And of course you spawn in on a coast already starving and invariably every form of food has been looted into oblivion. Wildlife should be abundant, yet is painfully scarce. Heck, I rail against way more issues than this minor bug. Why do I need a barrel and lime to tan a skin? Brain-tanning isn't that complicated. Why do we have to get a tent just to stash things? Thankfully they're going to be adding to this. Just ignore it. They won't shut it off in this build and as I recall, they intend to 'fix' the glitch in the Beta.

Postscript: Actually, the point about new players is very valid. The hardcore folks keep screaming it isn't hard enough, but honestly the learning curve is already pretty harsh for the new players. Makes it hard to bring new players into the game. Once modding is here, let the hardcore gamers go mod out a setting where the only food you can find is the military base in the north in a single building and they can hardcore themselves to their heart's content. Let average players just have fun.