RaptorM60

BETA Status Report - November 28

Great SR !

A couple of things that are not clear for me (the "when" question) :

The stach : https://trello.com/c/fWZ04OtE/80-hidden-stash

The infected being able to smath the doors (is it include in "expanded behaviour" in "experimental release to-do" section ?)

Edited by Liven28

3 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I think that if they had started out with the engine and what they have to work with now, the game would be finished by now.

Not all things work out with the first try, and projects are some times a learning thing, that are scraped and started all over again.   

kind of like changing horses in mid stream.

Imo the "New Engine" is just an excuse. It's more like engine improving adding new scripts etc, based on the .63 previews it's the same engine with added/modified animations. But indeed they're adding alot of new features and that takes time, but it doesn't count as new engine... If i install Unreal Engine 4 and add some features that no one saw such similiar to the ones that Scum has, it would not magically become an Unreal Engine 5. Also if i remember right, the "New Engine" is already running .62 since they changed the programming language or something that will let to add base building etc.
Ironically Bohemia works for PUBG, doing all the animations ( mocaps ) such as vaulting, fighting etc and it gets implemented by BlueHole way faster than DayZ itself.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I think that if they had started out with the engine and what they have to work with now, the game would be finished by now.

Not all things work out with the first try, and projects are some times a learning thing, that are scraped and started all over again.   

Yea that's sorta true, but then again if they had never started the way they game could be entirely different to what we'll get in 2018. Or if they had never made the mistakes then there wouldn't have been improvement. Butterfly theory and stuff.

4 hours ago, exacomvm said:

Imo the "New Engine" is just an excuse. It's more like engine improving adding new scripts etc, based on the .63 previews it's the same engine with added/modified animations. But indeed they're adding alot of new features and that takes time, but it doesn't count as new engine... If i install Unreal Engine 4 and add some features that no one saw such similiar to the ones that Scum has, it would not magically become an Unreal Engine 5. Also if i remember right, the "New Engine" is already running .62 since they changed the programming language or something that will let to add base building etc.
Ironically Bohemia works for PUBG, doing all the animations ( mocaps ) such as vaulting, fighting etc and it gets implemented by BlueHole way faster than DayZ itself.

Please just stop

• Haha 1

Really helpful Status Report, now I know where you guys and we stand and what we can expect. I'm really looking forward to 2018 and getting my hands on the first iteration of 0.63.

I might not play (a lot of) DayZ at the moment or be active at the forums but I'm still here. When 0.63 launches, I'll still be here. I'm not going anywhere and I got a lot of time and patience.

Also, I'm going to ignore a lot of posts in this thread intentionally. If they didn't get the message why the game is taking so long, I'm not going to waste my words on that. I'm informed on game development and have experience with software development. So call me a fanboy or others who get it as well, it will only show your lack of information, experience and the will and ability to learn.

On 11/29/2017 at 1:52 AM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Thanks for the update devs and all!

For me, half of 2017 will be gone without my even logging into DayZ as I promised myself I would not play until .63....

In the mod, I recall the Uzi could take different types of magazines from handguns, but I do not remember it taking more than one type of ammo...

Can you please give us more detail on what this means, "different ammunition types in a magazine".

With different ammunition types they mean tracers, full metal jacket, hollow point, armor penetrating, etc.

For example what would be possible: say you have a MP5, you put 5 to 10 9mm tracer rounds in first and then other 9mm type(s). This means that if you shoot 20 to 25 bullets, the last bullets are tracers which are a really good indication that your magazine is almost empty. There are a lot more variations you can make. Say for example they add armor to the game. You're unsure if your next firefight is going to be against someone with armor so you load in a hollow points first then AP, rinse and repeat. The hollow points will do the horrifying damage against un-armored targets and the AP rounds will make sure that you wound armored targets.

On 11/29/2017 at 2:20 AM, Troll_Hunter said:

Suggestion for the future status reports: go into detail how you've designed one of the unique features, like soft skills. (What skills are there, how to obtain them, what do they offer, and how do they affect gameplay?)

This is something which I kind of miss as well. Having all the features and content listed is nice but some more details on a few things would be nice. This doesn't all have to be in 1 Status Report but they could introduce a new section where they each week explain a feature with more and deeper details.

22 hours ago, HankRearden said:

@other forum members: Maybe somebody can answer me this question: What are the steps to “create” a feature (e.g. blocking)? As far as I understood, these are the final steps:

creating data/content --> Implementing --> tweaking --> bugfixing

But what do you have to do before (or maybe between) them? And it is to some point an iterative process, right?

It depends on the company itself but think about: documentation, discussing/meetings, implementation, bug fixing, testing, quality assurance, waiting for other teams to wrap up their part, integrate the feature with the other features or engine modules and probably some more things. This is a reiterative process and most of these will be done multiple times, some more than others.

19 hours ago, Mobylife said:

I have made peace with it.

I will wait.

And yet I will not.

Life moves on...

and so will I.

But when 0.63 hits

I'll be there.

Same thing here. I can keep my ass busy with other things or other games and will be back for sure when 0.63 hits Experimental.

• Beans 3

24 minutes ago, IMT said:

Also, I'm going to ignore a lot of posts in this thread intentionally. If they didn't get the message why the game is taking so long, I'm not going to waste my words on that. I'm informed on game development and have experience with software development. So call me a fanboy or others who get it as well, it will only show your lack of information, experience and the will and ability to learn.

Very one-sided view on things, but what else to expect here. You just believe every excuse and are blindly optimistic that everything is gonna be great in the end. It's always "the next patch" when the issues are finally gonna be fixed. Sorry, but that is simply the definition of a fanboy.

Also whenever you criticize anything in this forum, everything you get is an answer is always "you dont know anything about game development" (as if most of the fanboys here really would), and then a long list of excuses why the game is not really improving.

You know, the average player does not give a damn why stuff is not happening, the problem is that it isnt, there is only this neverending promise that things will be fine in the end. There are hundreds of games whose development has gone better  than DayZ, so I dont really care if some people think there are good reasons why DayZ still sucks.

p.s. The main problem isnt even that .63 is not coming this year, the main problem is that .63 has even less features than .62 and no mentionable new gameplay elements, mainly that stuff that has been there for years supposedly is gonna work better - we'll see about that.

Edited by EZann
  • Beans 1

To all those that are leaving and have given up hope: "You are dead".

You have failed to survive the development process, the other survival game, and you LOSE.

I've seen so many "fans" meltdown and leave DayZ and it simply means you lack the patience to see project through to it's end.

Many people who say they have sworn off DayZ will be back for beta and 1.0. Feel free to prove me wrong....

• Haha 2
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

You have failed to survive the development process, the other survival game, and you LOSE.

I've seen so many "fans" meltdown and leave DayZ and it simply means you lack the patience to see project through to it's end.

Many people who say they have sworn off DayZ will be back for beta and 1.0. Feel free to prove me wrong....

I will definitely be back to test it. But I think the chances are high that even people who are positive now are ultimately gonna be disappointed by 1.0,as it basically still doesn't contain a lot of gameplay, mainly he things that were there all along might be working better...

But feel also free to prove me wrong.

14 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

thats about 80% of the problem... they 'said' we're doing XYZ trying to do 1/2/3 then halfway 2015 they realized (after a good 2 years of working on this one) this engine isn't going to cut it... holy haybails... now we have to scrap that shit and build our own engine... erm...no that won't work either (5 months passed) lets go with enfusion... ahhhh now its a clear skate too the finish... (2020)

1 hour ago, EZann said:

I will definitely be back to test it. But I think the chances are high that even people who are positive now are ultimately gonna be disappointed by 1.0,as it basically still doesn't contain a lot of gameplay, mainly he things that were there all along might be working better...

But feel also free to prove me wrong.

I'm not really "positive" right now. The lose of bikes, motorbikes, and pickup trucks, is a huge downer.

I'm exactly how I was now and 5+ years ago.... "show me".

I reserve judgement until I am hands on with the final product.

I've also said that I may not like playing Vanilla Public 1.0 (though I hope I do), especially if there is a mod I prefer. My ideal would be that I still can enjoy Vanilla while having a few mods to enjoy as well. I don't even like shooters, DayZ IS my shooter. It gives me a reason to carry a gun in a game, a visceral reason to protect myself or my friends to the death, and risk actually losing something I have worked for in doing so. My DayZ will have military guys and hobo's with a shotgun, mountain men and maniacal medics, cannibals and care bears, and actual bears?

There will be a point at which my patience and interest will wane but I've just been playing other things while staying informed and trying to stay patient, hoping, waiting, dreaming.... *sigh*

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣

On 11/28/2017 at 8:06 PM, Gobbokirk said:

Please be tracers :D

Could mean tracers, hollow points, FMJ's, ect

• Beans 1

It's hard to be critical about this game because they are protected by the fact they are early alpha.. it's broken? it's unfinished? ahh it's OK, it's alpha, but my god.. I still want to scream. All I see when I read a status report is broken promises and the potential for further disappointment. Sorry but that's how I feel. I just cant get the feeling that I want to play DayZ back. This wait is and has been painfully long to the point I can't even get excited about the game. Honestly I would rather be a nice constructive member of the community but I feel this development process has turned me into what probably looks like a raging impatient, hater.. I really don't want to be these things nor come across that way, it's a horrible position to be in as a fan of the game.

Whenever me and a couple of my work mates (who I used to play the mod with all them years back) speak about DayZ the conversation turns into a laughing stock. It's so sad, I even start to feel sorry for the game, but then I think.. when was the last time I enjoyed DayZ? what was it I enjoyed about it and will that ever come back? I instead start to have doubts about the future of this game and frankly the track record of disappointments of the past have literally forced me into having that mindset. My biggest fear is that when the time finally comes (beta, full release etc..), I'll still not enjoy the game. I guess you could say it's no big loss, I paid what? a piddly £20 for the SA 5 years ago.. back when Dean sold me the idea of a DayZ so good, so much better than the mod.. that my £20 outlay was not only a bargain, it was an investment into a bright and beautiful future for this game, one which I was (at the time) certain would be epic.. now all I do is look back and think WOW.. what an idiot.. not that I'd wasted money, the money has nothing to do with my opinion, it's the fact I jumped in early not expecting this monumental wait.

I have a lot of hopes for DayZ but the most important one is that you guys will end up delivering a game I will once again enjoy playing. Preferably sometime before I'm too old and arthritic to operate keyboard and mouse. Ball is in your court, please don't let us down. You often talk the talk, lets finally see you walk the walk.

• Beans 1

I'm 77 if i can wait then you can too, you are more likely to be around to see the game finished . but i think they will do there best to get the game done.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
i was going to add text but didn't
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

7 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

As i wrote before, look at Take on Mars (Beta), please, do it!

I was an big fan of BI since Operation Flashpoint, they allways delivered, but now?

The only working product is Arma, Take on Mars (Beta) got one patch in two years (only minimal contend, NOT ONE bug was fixed)

I bet that dayz SA (BETA) will be the same unfinished bugfest like Take on mars (Beta).

There will be "applause" from some peps, nice, we are in BETA and all is cool, okay, there is no bears, no bikes, no ...nothing ..BUT HEY, we are in BETA ;)

i am done with white knighting BI and Hicks and Harton are the Problem, not the solution.

Take an look at the last SR in 2016, what happend?

With some changes it is an copy/paste of this SR, shame.

It depends on the company itself but think about: documentation, discussing/meetings, implementation, bug fixing, testing, quality assurance, waiting for other teams to wrap up their part, integrate the feature with the other features or engine modules and probably some more things. This is a reiterative process and most of these will be done multiple times, some more than others.

Thank you for your response!

I would like to understand this process in more detail. Does somebody has some more informations on this topic? The order of these steps? The approximate amount of work you have to put into them (%)?

Edited by HankRearden

45 minutes ago, echozeero said:

https://www.dayzrp.com/forums/topic/87700-dayz-063beta-discussion-thread/?page=14&tab=comments#comment-1611939

Our community has been very supportive of DayZ for a long time but seriously, the current state of updates is seriously underwhelming and soul crushing. Nothing but disappointment.

How is it underwhelming and soul crushing? Please help me understand this because what I see is a dev team working hard to deliver us a great game. Yeah sure, it's taking longer than anyone expected (the devs included) but if we get a great game at the end of it why does it matter?

Edit: Just noticed that the thread he links is mine. Really didn't think that it would end up like that XD

Edited by OliverPlotTwist
  • Beans 1

6 minutes ago, OliverPlotTwist said:

How is it underwhelming and soul crushing? Please help me understand this because what I see is a dev team working hard to deliver us a great game. Yeah sure, it's taking longer than anyone expected (the devs included) but if we get a great game at the end of it why does it matter?

Yea it doesn't make sense at all.

people start giving up on this game just when the end is in sight.

IMO it's people throwing tantrums for not getting a late 2017 release.

• Beans 1

49 minutes ago, HankRearden said:

I would like to understand this process in more detail. Does somebody has some more informations on this topic? The order of these steps? The approximate amount of work you have to put into them (%)?

Take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_process

I know it's for software development but most things apply to both. There might be some additional things with game development though. Other than this I wouldn't know if there is information about the process of a feature. Maybe if you're lucky one of the devs will answer your question.

4 minutes ago, Trnc84 said:

Yea it doesn't make sense at all.

people start giving up on this game just when the end is in sight.

IMO it's people throwing tantrums for not getting a late 2017 release.

That's exactly what I think and how I see it as well. We don't have any strict dates, for all we know it might be out the second week of January, what's waiting two weeks longer after waiting for so long?

Edited by IMT

2 hours ago, HankRearden said:

For what it's worth, Hicks recently explained the steps it would take to just remove something from Stable. (Like apple trees in his case.)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/1489992713687779955/#c1489992713690170372

We also saw that happen in practice with pumpkins. First there was an Experimental update where pumpkins were removed, then it was pushed to Stable.

Implementing a new feature/content would follow a similar pattern, with some repeating steps until it's good enough for even Experimental.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Beans 1

Question on New Feature:

When will players be released the Modding Tools in order to build their own maps? Will it be included in the First BETA release so players can begin 'assisting' the Development process with our efforts?

I would personally love to make a map out of where I currently live in Colorado Springs, CO. (Sometimes snowy mountain town that mixes the urban spread of cities with the expanse of forests and rocky mountains surrounding it.)

hoome_image.jpg

aerial_winterpark2.jpg

3 hours ago, IMT said:

Take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_process

I know it's for software development but most things apply to both. There might be some additional things with game development though. Other than this I wouldn't know if there is information about the process of a feature. Maybe if you're lucky one of the devs will answer your question.

Hi and thanks for answering again!

I found this statement "Overall game development is not suited for typical software life cycle methods, such as the waterfall model." in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Development_process

Said "waterfall models" (among others) are the methologies used in software developement (see your article). So i think there is a difference between a game developement process  and a software developement process (but in the end i am not an expert and therefore i can't be sure of that).

Furthermore in the "game developement process" article the information was quite generally. According to it the steps are: Pre production (concept, prototyping etc., not what i am interested in) and production (design, prototype, programming, testing).

As you see its not the detailed answer i want to know, sadly.. So it is probably the best idea to wait for a developer to respond to my question.

2 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

For what it's worth, Hicks recently explained the steps it would take to just remove something from Stable. (Like apple trees in his case.)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/1489992713687779955/#c1489992713690170372

We also saw that happen in practice with pumpkins. First there was an Experimental update where pumpkins were removed, then it was pushed to Stable.

Implementing a new feature/content would follow a similar pattern, with some repeating steps until it's good enough for even Experimental.

Thanks for answering!

As informative as this is, it's unfortunately not the answer i am looking for. I am interested in the process of producing the scripts that "a designer has to comment out" in detail and what amount of time is necessary for each step (approximatly).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HankRearden said:

As informative as this is, it's unfortunately not the answer i am looking for. I am interested in the process of producing the scripts that "a designer has to comment out" in detail and what amount of time is necessary for each step (approximatly).

At this point, it would be interesting to read a few "numbers" about the development process.

I mean: we wrote x scripts, the CLE tool contains y code lines, we created z animations, there is xy kbyte text as information, so far we have been yy sheet paper for witheboards ... zz pens and and have ordered yxz pizzas , the pizza box No. 245 we needed to set the air conditioning .....

that would be information that I would welcome .... just to know the measure of things.

Well, that was a very informative Status Report. I wasn't really on the "hype train", so no derailing for me, all is good. When reading most comments or more "extreme" reactions, I understand totally, although I don't share them. 

I really look forward to 0.63 BETA, and onward, but I have to be honest and admit that I still play a lot of 0.62, and love it. Like many past updates, I'll miss them for a while once they're gone.

So far, DayZ is still one of the best game experience I've ever had, and even though I tried most of the similar games or ones that followed the trend, none gave me the same feelings.

Thanks Devs for what you've done so far. And I hope 2018 is a great success for you! Keep it up!! Cheers!!

P.S.:  Got only one question/favor to ask : Would it be possible to have the art department make Christmas trees like the past 2 years, but with updated tree/foliage and lights that uses the new lighting system?? Similar to the Halloween pumpkins. Thanks!!  :D

1zme8e9.jpg

wb5htf.jpg

I enjoyed putting chem lights in the trees last year, but it would be much better to have "working" Christmas trees. It's already December 2nd!!! 

Please Art department, please!! I've been really good this year!

Edited by odin_lowe
Christmas trees

On 11/29/2017 at 6:08 AM, Tigermonk said:

I know its a big deal .63 but knowing you're planning on doing 64/65 as well.. lets just hope those don't take you guys 3-6 months each

Actually, if you read it carefully the status report states they won't be doing 0.64, 0.65, etc. as it'll go from 0.63 to 1.0 by the time they're finished adding everything they have planned.