RaptorM60

BETA Status Report - November 28

Crushed. Right in the chesticles.  The amount of work left for 0.63 EXP is sobering. Every subsystem is either unfinished, buggy, broken, or 'needs settling'. 

• Like 2

I must admit I underestimated the work that still needs to be done here holy crap.

But hey we got the answer we were all begging for.

I can honestly say now that I can rest assured that the end product will be mindblowing seeing all the stuff that's planned for Beta release and beyond.

This will be the survival game I (and hopefully the community) always hoped for.

• Beans 1

Hello guys, thank you very much for the SR. I really appreciate it!

I will keep things short, these are my questions (all relating to your experimental to-do list):

1.       Player movement: you say that all data is ready, could you elaborate on what this means or give me an example? I’m not a programmer, but I would like to learn something about it J

2.       Prone combat: Does this point include shooting while lying on the ground?

3.       “Evades and blocks are being tweaked”: Does this mean they are working on your internal build?

3.1.    …And how much work is done at this stage of development of this feature? (in %)    

4.       Gameplay: creating the content for weapon particle effects: As you have showed an (apparently!) quickly made example(GIF)  in a recent SR, it seems to me that this is not a major task(I obviously don’t know how much time was spent on it). Am I right with this assumption?

5.       AI: Infected: Can you –to some extend- transfer some of the work you did on the player movement to the infected movement?

5.1.    Animals: “However, we want to expand their behavior..” : Could you elaborate on this?

5.2.    What steps do you have to do in order to reach your goals here?

6.       UI: As I am not quite sure if I understood you correctly, does this mean that the next steps are bugfixing and tweaking the visual representation of these features?

6.1.    ..Or is there anything more to do?

Thank you very much for taking your time, I tried to just ask yes-or-no questions to save your time, but it wasn’t always possible.

I have one more suggestion for future SR: I really liked the list Eugen wrote in a few SR, where he exactly showed us what tasks the different teams are working on right now. It would be fantastic to see that again!

Have a nice day!

@other forum members: Maybe somebody can answer me this question: What are the steps to “create” a feature (e.g. blocking)? As far as I understood, these are the final steps:

creating data/content --> Implementing --> tweaking --> bugfixing

But what do you have to do before (or maybe between) them? And it is to some point an iterative process, right?

49 minutes ago, Tigermonk said:

after reading this status report... I'm sad... its good you're putting out (or kinda)

but what you're basically saying is: we need a couple of more years...

since 63 isn't coming out this year.. it'll prob. be 2018 somewhere (wouldn't surprise me if that was Q1 2018 giving you guys another 3 months for a patch you've been working on for the last 6 months)
so that would mean 8-9 months for a single patch!!

I know its a big deal .63 but knowing you're planning on doing 64/65 as well.. lets just hope those don't take you guys 3-6 months each

because the way this is shaping up to be... is the way I explained (and got warned for once) multiple times
63 :  8-9 months since you're not finishing in 2017 and already 6 months have passed since the release 62 back in june 2017
70?: 3-6 months
75?: 3-6 months
1.0: ???????????

see where I'm going with this devs..
taking your time is fine.. but taking that amount of time.. I doubt your boss is fine with that..
Making a game isn't done in days or months.. but the way things are shaping up you're well on your way too becoming the worlds longest game in dev. that still has to make it out of beta.

it just makes me very very sad... it really does.. not only are you going to set the wrong example of 'work takes time' but you're also not going to be able to sell the hype anymore once the product is finished...
because starting a game in 2012 on a mod hype train by a guy nobody who's new to the game even knows.. to stating we'll have it done in 2018... (6 years later)

then going: For the PC BETA (again, that's the first 0.63 Stable update, and any 0.63 patches between that and 1.0 - there's NO 0.64 or 0.65 planned), we've set a pretty clear feature and content goals. We're ready to share them now, let's start with features.

meaning you'll just jump from .63 to 1.0? what the flying duck? that makes no sense content wise or patch wise..
all I hope is that modding 'patches' some of the wounds for a LOT of people.. sure the hardcore 'we stand behind the dev team' will say otherwise..
but those aren't the 4 million copies sold since its release thats maybe 50K of players and 20-30 or so are present on this forum constantly replying to all of the content posted.

no this post isn't as 'constructive' as I would have liked but since we're all being honest here.. I'm just expressing the fact that I am very dissapointed at the moment the way things are going in terms of pase..
the time that things are constantly being moved foward because 'things aren't done' was good in 2014-2015.. but not in the start of 2018 but I guess thats what happens when you make a game on a broken engine and then halfway through decided 'hey lets start from scratch with about 30% of our build left in tact.

There is no fixed order of versions you have to use to release software. You don't have to use a version number at all it's just a easily recognizable name but they could as well call the releases A, B, C... So I don't see a problem to jump from .63 to 1.0.

In general: DayZ is not the first software project that takes longer then initially planned (and it will not be the last one). This is not an excuse for the devs but simply a reality. And this is not because the devs are lazy or don't know what they are doing: Software development is complicated and it's very hard to predict the time budget (before you actually do the work). Since the devs now committed to release 1.0 in 2018 I assume that they now have a detailed plan and all major uncertainties are solved.

• Beans 2

I can't wait for the release or even 0.63. But... To be honest it's kind of same status report that we get for a few months now, but longer and with new info that you won't deliver another build on predicted time (what a surprise) and with clarification that 0.63 will actually have less content than 0.62. I could bet that 1.0 is not coming in 2018. There was no single proper prediction for any build release so far. I hear "We're finishing the new engine" for so long now that I can imagine keep hearing it next summer. :) Since August there was basically no new mechanic that you could show us. The good thing is, you can only surprise me positively now. ;)
My biggest fear is that the new engine will not be a "big deal" as people played DayZ on old Arma engine and they got used to it. I hope the wait was worth it, if, as you say, we won't even have as much content in 0.63 as in 0.62.

I will play DayZ if you really  do it on time. I'm kind of surprised that there's no big competition for you yet, all the other Zombie Survival games are poor. That makes me think that MAYBE your work pace is normal. :D

Also I paid for it, so why wouldn't I play it... ;)

Thanks for the SR guys, and good luck with the haters.
We need at least to understand them, they aren't patient people... Patient people are quite rare in fact ! :)

BI is one of the best studio I know, so, I just trust you... Period :)

Cheers.

• Beans 1

Don't know if this journey towards DayZ's final version will have a happy or sad/disappointing ending for PC players.

Let's just hope that future console players will have a less time consuming and a less problematic path to fully enjoy DayZ. After all, a successful console release can potentially also benefit the PC side and create renewed interest in this game (something I think is badly needed).

A worse case scenario with a few thousands players PC and a few thousands on console could hardly be considered a brilliant success after years of game development.

To the developers; please bear in mind the more "casual nature" of console players (no offense meant). Most likely less patient and dedicated than your average DayZ PC player. Would advise against an excessive "survival simulator" console gameplay simply emulating what is intended for a niche PC "audience". Somehow skeptical that this would attract and keep console players in their millions.

Regards

1 hour ago, idie said:

Thanks for the SR guys, and good luck with the haters.
We need at least to understand them, they aren't patient people... Patient people are quite rare in fact ! :)

BI is one of the best studio I know, so, I just trust you... Period :)

Cheers.

So, nowadays you'can be only ahater or a fanboy? What happened to all reasonable people with their reasonable worries? :)

PS: You don't know many studios, do you?

1 hour ago, Lexman61 said:

To the developers; please bear in mind the more "casual nature" of console players (no offense meant). Most likely less patient and dedicated than your average DayZ PC player. Would advise against an excessive "survival simulator" console gameplay simply emulating what is intended for a niche PC "audience". Somehow skeptical that this would attract and keep console players in their millions

They've never been interested in catering to the lowest common denominator and I'm sure they won't start now.

PUBG already exists and if there is some sort of modding tools for Xbone you'll get your rinse and repeat versions sure enough.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣

3 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

They've never been interested in catering to the lowest common denominator and I'm sure they won't start now.

PUBG already exists and if there is some sort of modding tools for Xbone you'll get your rinse and repeat versions sure enough.

Totally agree with you. BUT, if the console version is to (potentially), revamp interest for the DAyZ PC side they'll need more than just a handful of Xbox players. Why waste time, money and resources just to start another niche community? 

A large(er) player base is always better in the long run even for the die-hard survivalists.

Regards

I have no problem with waiting for example up to 6 more Month for 0.63.

BUT

I feel totaly demotivated if we have to endure 1 more Day with Apples on Trees! remove the gamebreaker until the new system with 0.63 arrives. (Apples and Berries)

Edited by Hajami

I have made peace with it.

I will wait.

And yet I will not.

Life moves on...

and so will I.

But when 0.63 hits

I'll be there.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

I love the amount of detail in this status report, it gives me a much better idea of what to expect during the beta phase and after. However I gotta be honest i'm kinda disappointed with the amount of vehicles listed for beta, especially when you compare it with what was available in the original mod.

there are so many classic vehicles from the mod they could bring back like

-Humvee 

-UAZ

-SUV

-Pickup Truck

-Huey

-MI 8 

Also there is no mention of boats at all, so are boats just being cut from the game entirely? I hope not since they were a pretty important vehicle for moving across the coast and traveling to islands. I guess there is always the prospect that mods will reintroduce these vehicles, if one of the devs could elaborate more on this it would be nice.   

I wasn't even expecting 0.63 to come out this year, but this status report still disappointed me.

Lots of media updates should help soften the blow a bit, though. Certainly a status report without any images or video doesn't help the sombre mood.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

this report proves no surprise for me, when they are making dayz over again so it can be the game they want it to be.

just remember i think a lot of us aren't posting demands on how we want the game to be, we know you will make it how you want it to be.  

Thank you for your transparency. Honest words usually sound hard. I'm not very surprised about this report. We can only hope that they do not get nasty surprises or setbacks. Keep your fingers crossed, do your thing.

Please do not hesitate to ask us (in this forums thread) about any feature/content piece that you feel was announced, but is missing in here. We will do our best to react to your input, as we may have lost track of some smaller things over time. 

Will infected break doors and eat corpses?

Furthermore you talk about birds, hedgehog... is it really a good idea? Should not you save server performances for a larger number of infected?

Edited by Gadget_97

43 minutes ago, Gadget_97 said:

Infected breaking doors, eating corpses?

Furthermore you talk about birds, hedgehog... is it really a good idea? Should not you save server performances for a larger number of infected?

Well did they confirm zombie hordes. It does seem like a big challenge creating an environment that is that diverse but maybe alle the server/network improvements will make it all possible?

Well... I knew THIS was coming.

My two cents.... The only real issue I have with this SR is the nature of the excuses...as they are the same ones over and over again for the last three years.

The team spends way too much time apologizing and it is getting old. Just stop with the cliché crap and get to work.

At this point bringing up the fact that they promised BETA for end of LAST year only reiterates how terribly this project has been managed and I don't want to hear it anymore.

I honestly thought the team would at least give us SOMETHING to play with over the Holidays...even if it was going to result in a buggy EXP build. Instead, they say to us that "even playing the current internal .63 build will make you never want to go back to .62"....

Thanks for that, guys.

You are taking a lot for granted by locking us out for the foreseeable future and I only hope you work some magic with the big-time YouTube streamers out there when you finally have .63 ready....or you might find you came up one Christmas too many in the world of "what have you done for me lately".

Going to take time off and I wish all you fellow Forum Subscribers a safe and happy holidays. Maybe I'll be back...and maybe not...but either way, it's been an experience.

Cheers!

• Beans 1

20 hours ago, kopo79 said:

Last report they asked about ideas to experimental servers...how is it going?can we have some to test?examble wintry chernarus:more cold weather/no apples?

And also would like to know most recent thought about implementin seasons to the game,because its most crucial graphifal and gameplay aspect what survival game could have.is there any plans on to add it to beta or are the seasons off the game?

The changes they can do for Experimental are limited.

https://forums.dayz.com/topic/237631-status-report-7-november-2017/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-2381757

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

From what I've understood from the SR is that we can expect:

0.63 experimental

0.63 beta

There will not be any versions in between 0.63 beta and 1.0.

I really hope they'll offer us a near live 0.63 detailed progress status overview, so we can monitor more closely the steps towards 0.63. Do a report / little video on each feature you've finished and explain what it does and why it's important. A bit more frequent reporting please, I don't care if the progress is 'small' I like to stay informed.

Yep I like the idea of a 0.625 version, where you just adjust the economy and see what happens.

2 hours ago, philbur said:

Well... I knew THIS was coming.

My two cents.... The only real issue I have with this SR is the nature of the excuses...as they are the same ones over and over again for the last three years.

The team spends way too much time apologizing and it is getting old. Just stop with the cliché crap and get to work.

At this point bringing up the fact that they promised BETA for end of LAST year only reiterates how terribly this project has been managed and I don't want to hear it anymore.

I honestly thought the team would at least give us SOMETHING to play with over the Holidays...even if it was going to result in a buggy EXP build. Instead, they say to us that "even playing the current internal .63 build will make you never want to go back to .62"....

Thanks for that, guys.

You are taking a lot for granted by locking us out for the foreseeable future and I only hope you work some magic with the big-time YouTube streamers out there when you finally have .63 ready....or you might find you came up one Christmas too many in the world of "what have you done for me lately".

Going to take time off and I wish all you fellow Forum Subscribers a safe and happy holidays. Maybe I'll be back...and maybe not...but either way, it's been an experience.

Cheers!

This is how I feel exactly. They never meet their deadlines, but they seem to expect us to believe what they are saying now. I took one look at that massive text wall of excuses and skipped the entire thing. I have read so many of those stupid status reports and they always result in being downright lies. They seem to spend most of their time keeping the 30 or so people who still hang around here updated on what they aren't doing. I have lost all faith in DayZ at this point. It's official.

This just proves that early access is no way to release a game. The entire thing is a sham. You can't motivate people to work if they have already gotten paid, and you just develop a bad reputation when all of your set backs and delays are open for the public to criticize. There is a practice in the construction business known as "retention." The owner of a project will withhold a certain percentage of payment until the project is entirely finished. If owners don't hang on to retention money and instead pay entirely up front, 9 times out of 10 the project is not satisfactorily finished. It should really not come as a surprise to anyone that this project is also not being finished, because there is nothing the devs are working towards. 

To the devs, shameful demonstration guys, just shameful. You've lost me, you've lost the world. So many eyes were on you and you dropped the ball. I'd love to see DayZ be a success for all of our sakes, but I just don't believe you people are motivated enough to do the job. I don't care about your excuses. It's your job to finish the project and you aren't. That's the bottom line. If you worked for me I would fire you. Do you realize it's been 5 years and you are trying to tell us that there may not even be helicopters in the beta?  You are developing the game on a modified helicopter simulator engine and you still haven't nailed helicopters in 5 years? You have promised helicopters literally dozens of times in dozens of status reports. Oh, but it's "definitely coming by 1.0." I can hold you to that right? Ha! Downright laughable. Good luck and all that. I'm done with the lies. This will likely be my last post, unless by some miracle you people pull through. I'd estimate the probability of that happening as less than 10 percent being generous. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 2

I think that if they had started out with the engine and what they have to work with now, the game would be finished by now.

Not all things work out with the first try, and projects are some times a learning thing, that are scraped and started all over again.   

kind of like changing horses in mid stream.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1