RaptorM60

BETA Status Report - November 28

Hello everyone! 

The special BETA Status Report is out - please read it here (we're not posting in the forums directly today due to the formatting).
We know you'll probably have lots of questions, so please ask here - we'll do our best to answer as many of them as possible.

Thanks!

• Beans 14

Great report, very nice it is again open, honest and direct.

I really wished bikes / motorbikes would come sooner but ofcourse I can only agree the most important elements of the game should be made robust first.

I wonder, the report speaks says several times the game MUST reach 1.0 before the end of 2018. Why is this? Is it a goal you made for yourselves to "finally" finish the game. Or maybe Bohemia "ordering" that the game (and the dev resources) should become available for other titles in 2019? Or maybe the team is just getting bored with it :)

Anyway, I trust 2018 will be a very interesting year where we will see what DAYZ finally became and what modders are going to do with this platform. Can't wait to see it all unfold.

Carry on!

This report albeit quite disheartening, has some solid info. I would assume this is literally their project plan for next year? (yes)

So this major patch is going to feel like what it was like when sa came out only the tech will be 200x better but we'll have less content than 62 but itll trickle in over the year.

Also how is the new site going? Would you format the stuff in the status report and put it in something like that version time line on the current dayz site?

Edited by DannyDog

Wow, a week delay on typing up the report and it turns out to be depressing. . eek.

After expecting some good news about the BETA release and such, reading this SR was a huge disappointment. Not only was the release postponed until next year, it's indeterminate in date with a solid list of items to be completed still. I really hate to read this kind of news knowing that the Dev team will be dispersing for Winter Holiday (As they should) and no work will really be done until weeks into January. 

What's worse is, a lot of our hype had been rejuvenated by the events of GamesCom and such, the videos of the BETA looked awesome and held promise for a new game for us all. - But months later, it's a little worrisome that nothing tangible has been delivered. I really want to hold on hope for this game, but interest is fading. . and the amount of trust I have in promises has become minuscule. 

Please give us more than words. A reasonable amount of time has already been given to waiting for -any- kind of tangible progress for us to play with. . So why have we still touched nothing? O.o

Question: Can players expect first release of BETA in January, or will it be several months after? 

• Beans 2

Why did post the same thing on two accounts @Espa? O_o

Edit: seems like you made a goof :p

Edited by DannyDog

Just now, DannyDog said:

Why did post the same thing on two accounts @Espa? O_o

I didn't realize I was logged into this rando account I didn't know I had haha xD 

Thanks for the update devs and all!

For me, half of 2017 will be gone without my even logging into DayZ as I promised myself I would not play until .63....

In the mod, I recall the Uzi could take different types of magazines from handguns, but I do not remember it taking more than one type of ammo...

Can you please give us more detail on what this means, "different ammunition types in a magazine".

12 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Can you please give us more detail on what this means, "different ammunition types in a magazine".

Please be tracers :D

• Beans 1

Hmmm.. interesting. I had prepared myself somewhat for the delay to happen for post holiday as i think we have all learnt from the past. So much new exciting stuff however I think i can confirm dayz fantasies of yesteryear may be confirmed for next year! 

I wonder how much hate these guys will be getting from the facebook bitches status report ^_^

Edited by liquidcactus
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the detailed overview in this status report.

Suggestion for the future status reports: go into detail how you've designed one of the unique features, like soft skills. (What skills are there, how to obtain them, what do they offer, and how do they affect gameplay?)

Personally I'm ok with a shorter report. Maybe showing a list of features and content with a percentage of how much it's done, basically a sort of billboard with bars creeping forward I can check online. At this moment the development is a black box where one get's to see a small peek every two weeks, whereas I like to check our baby daily :)

Another thing that bothers me is that I've not seen any reply from the devs in regard to forum's / players ideas and suggestions. It feels like we're talking to a thick blind wall. No dev feedback on the many ideas posted, not even an small acknowledgement. Very discouraging to creative and constructive players like me.

Since there is no estimation for 0.63 other then 2018... this means it could be January through December before we get to see beta, the uncertainty is killing me.

So no major update until some time next year... I am cool with that. As the old saying goes, the best things come to those who wait. I trust the devs to give us an amazing update when it finally arrives, I don't want to play a half baked version of 0.63. The second it releases everyone is going to instantly forget the waiting time anyway, so no need to change course devs, straight ahead full steam!

• Beans 2

I'm not disappointed that we won't get 0.63 exp before end of 2017. 

I'm kind of disappointed by the limited features will be introduced in the initial Beta build.   It's less than what is currently in 0.62  overall.  i.e. firearms & current vehicles.  I'm happy that melee is being revamped.  I recall a point where that wasn't even a focus moving forward.  I brought it up here and it seemed to get some steam within the community. 

I still believe in the process and this dev team  just disappointed we are where we are currently after defending this for so dang long.  

• Beans 1

One other thing, and this is a way out thought, read that animal companions are now off the menu which made me think, what if you could start the game as a dog? You could roam the land and team up with other dogs forming big packs and hunting players (like packs of wild dogs do IRL), or of course meeting human players and being their faithful companion! Indulge me :)

• Beans 3

1 hour ago, Troll_Hunter said:

Another thing that bothers me is that I've not seen any reply from the devs in regard to forum's / players ideas and suggestions.

Are you considering the time difference between where you are and the Czech Republic?

When they say they will respond to questions in the past, they always do.

Sometimes they just answer them in chunks rather than on the fly, though sometimes a dev will lurk for a couple hours poking in and out during the normal work hours in the CZ.

• Beans 1

No DayZ Standalone .63 Experimental during the upcoming Winter holiday is definitely the coal in my stocking.   Thank you for the update.

Last report they asked about ideas to experimental servers...how is it going?can we have some to test?examble wintry chernarus:more cold weather/no apples?

And also would like to know most recent thought about implementin seasons to the game,because its most crucial graphifal and gameplay aspect what survival game could have.is there any plans on to add it to beta or are the seasons off the game?

Edited by kopo79
  • Beans 1

Haven't posted in a while. Just want to say this was a fantastic SR, very nice breakdown, and cleared up a lot of my confusion around the dev timeline, and what to expect in Exp Beta. An Environment Art question I still have is with the introduction of PBR shaders in DayZ. Will the environment eventually get a shader for blending 'dry/wet' during and after rain? Keep your heads up DayZ devs, making games is tough, but I still believe the end product + modding is going to be frickin' amazing!

• Beans 1

look at take on mars (Beta) and you will see what broken **** will be dayz SA (Beta)

Hmm, taking a cynically realistic attitude to this BETA report I would say well, nothing new under the sun.

"The game will be ready when it will be ready" is the basic message. "To make you swallow the bitter pill of frustration many of you have been taking for a while now on a regular basis, here are our great implementation plans for a brighter future!"

The paradox is that this ongoing situation creates two seemingly contradictory states of mind for some players. One the one hand more tiresome frustration, on the other hand the so-much-long-awaited final development of DayZ becomes even more loaded with high expectations. Will DayZ eventually become that exceptional, extraordinary, super engaging survival game many are waiting for? Will it live up to years of hopes and patience?

I'm not so sure I still want to give the developers the benefit of the doubt. Better to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed!

In any case, common sense would dictate to wait in making a final judgement, but a very prudent perspective is nevertheless definitively needed.

Regards

• Like 1

I'll start right of the bat with one such thing: unfortunately, there will be no other major release this year (that means we won't be releasing 0.63 on neither Experimental and Stable branches).

I'll stop right there. Good luck with the game. I really hope there will be Dayz 1.0 someday and players to play it.

A few questions, that was quite a read :O Sorry if I do some nutpicking or ask specific questions.

• in the dropdown list for Experimental Release To-Do you have two times the point Gameplay - why?
  • At the DayZ Beta Features > Servers > Local database you mention "Server side mission", is this related to actual in-game missions or something else?
  • The UMP45 is mentioned in both Post Release Content and Beta Content, which one is it?
  • You talk about console versionS and bringing it to console players. But specifically you only mention Xbox. Is there already an update if PlayStation players will be able to play DayZ next year?
  • You have the same description below DAYZ BETA CONTENT and 1.0 / POST RELEASE FEATURE GOALS, is this a mistake or on purpose? Because I can't make sense out of it in the context of the post release feature goals.
  • In the 1.0 / POST RELEASE FEATURE GOALS > planned features you mention "water streams". Does this mean you have more solid plans to bring "realistic" rivers to DayZ or is this still hoping?

Again thanks for all the information, though it's a bit tricky to understand sometimes. I really hope you are able to fulfill your promisses for 2018 or the community will go nuts. :-/

Best of success and keep up the good work.

• Beans 2

7 minutes ago, naz666 said:

• You have the same description below DAYZ BETA CONTENT and 1.0 / POST RELEASE FEATURE GOALS, is this a mistake or on purpose? Because I can't make sense out of it in the context of the post release feature goals.

Yeah i caught that, too. Obvious copy/paste error(?) - would love to read, what it was intended to say.

after reading this status report... I'm sad... its good you're putting out (or kinda)

but what you're basically saying is: we need a couple of more years...

since 63 isn't coming out this year.. it'll prob. be 2018 somewhere (wouldn't surprise me if that was Q1 2018 giving you guys another 3 months for a patch you've been working on for the last 6 months)
so that would mean 8-9 months for a single patch!!

I know its a big deal .63 but knowing you're planning on doing 64/65 as well.. lets just hope those don't take you guys 3-6 months each

because the way this is shaping up to be... is the way I explained (and got warned for once) multiple times
63 :  8-9 months since you're not finishing in 2017 and already 6 months have passed since the release 62 back in june 2017
70?: 3-6 months
75?: 3-6 months
1.0: ???????????

see where I'm going with this devs..
taking your time is fine.. but taking that amount of time.. I doubt your boss is fine with that..
Making a game isn't done in days or months.. but the way things are shaping up you're well on your way too becoming the worlds longest game in dev. that still has to make it out of beta.

it just makes me very very sad... it really does.. not only are you going to set the wrong example of 'work takes time' but you're also not going to be able to sell the hype anymore once the product is finished...
because starting a game in 2012 on a mod hype train by a guy nobody who's new to the game even knows.. to stating we'll have it done in 2018... (6 years later)

then going: For the PC BETA (again, that's the first 0.63 Stable update, and any 0.63 patches between that and 1.0 - there's NO 0.64 or 0.65 planned), we've set a pretty clear feature and content goals. We're ready to share them now, let's start with features.

meaning you'll just jump from .63 to 1.0? what the flying duck? that makes no sense content wise or patch wise..
all I hope is that modding 'patches' some of the wounds for a LOT of people.. sure the hardcore 'we stand behind the dev team' will say otherwise..
but those aren't the 4 million copies sold since its release thats maybe 50K of players and 20-30 or so are present on this forum constantly replying to all of the content posted.

no this post isn't as 'constructive' as I would have liked but since we're all being honest here.. I'm just expressing the fact that I am very dissapointed at the moment the way things are going in terms of pase..
the time that things are constantly being moved foward because 'things aren't done' was good in 2014-2015.. but not in the start of 2018 but I guess thats what happens when you make a game on a broken engine and then halfway through decided 'hey lets start from scratch with about 30% of our build left in tact.

The reason the updates took so long is because of the massive engine changes that will be mostly complete with 0.63 Experimental. So additional updates will come way quicker.

And it's normal that there are not always exactly 100 big patches from 0.01 to 1.0.

Edited by naz666
  • Beans 1