cha0s_actual

Starting off with a full stomach

Fixing Starvation  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Dev's change the game to make starvation less common?

• Make food spawn more frequently
    • Start players off with a full stomach
    • Slow the rate of hunger and death by starvation
    • Leave the system as is!
    • Increase starvation rate, decrease food spawn

I know people will be against this but here it is. As players know, whenever you spawn into a server you automatically start out nearly starving, and dehydrated. You have roughly 20-30 minutes to fill your stomach (3-4 cans of food) otherwise you die of starvation. 

Most of my deaths from DayZ have come from starvation or exposure, I don't even have to worry about infected or other players because starvation gets me long before they have a chance to. One of the biggest reasons my friends and I stopped playing the game a few years back was that we would all die from starvation or exposure before we could even link up. I have been trying to pick the game back up but when your character starves to death in 25-30 minutes, it makes the game very difficult to play let alone enjoy. 

For the people saying "get gud skrub", you probably spawned in on a server reset where loot was everywhere, where as I am spawning in when there is literally no loot anywhere! My latest life had me spawn in right next to Berezino, where I looted the entire southern part of Berezino I could only find a shotgun with no ammo, no melee weapons, no food and no water. The end result was death by starvation. 

So with that being said, this can be remedied by either; A) Starting players off with a full stomach, B) Make food spawn more frequently or C) Slowing the rate of your hunger and death from starvation. 

I am curious to hear what you all think. 

Edited by cha0s_actual

Two words, survival game.

I'm of the belief it's too easy atm. Chickens everywhere. Improvised knife. Apple trees. Too easy.

Also, logging in at full health would allow everyone to run straight to Tisy or NW airfield. Not cool.

Edited by creature
  • Like 1

I'd have voted to make the starvation rate faster and food less common but there doesn't seem to be an option for that, so I didn't vote.

• Beans 1

Increase starvation/dehydration rate, decrease food spawn, increase rate-of-time passing (to the point where a day and night cycle can pass in 4 or so hours.)

I am sorry: I don't mean to be rude, but...... it is trivially easy to survive in Day Z at this point, and has been for quite some time. 

1) If you are starving to death at this point in the game, you should probably log out, fire up your preferred internet browser, and learn how to actually play. Aka "git gud', but more politely

Apples. Berries. Chicken. Fish (though this one is a bit buggy). All of these are available, all the time, and only the last two require tools to gather and process.

2) Learn the map. 

In almost every single town, there is at least one apple tree, and I would be willing to bet hard cash money on that fact. At said apple tree, there is a literal unlimited amount of food, depending on either your level of patience or willingness to use exploits.

You say you spawned in Berezino? Just to the south of Berezino, there is a massive apple orchard, where one can pick apples to their heart's content,  gaining them both nutrition and water. That isn't counting the wells in Berezino, nor the wells and orchards in the other towns within a 5 minute-real-time-walk from Berezino. (literally. you can see three of the towns from Berezino)

You can make everything you need to survive within 5 minutes of spawning, 10 if you want to craft a rag-rope to make a bow. Everything else is gravy.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Beans 1

I think before you come to the conclusion the current system is too hard you should first be sure you actually know all ins and outs of the game, I don't say that in an unfriendly way.

You spawn, you make a stone knife immediately. Exposure problem solved because now you can chop sticks, and a fire kit, if necessary using your t-shirt to craft a fireplace. After warming up and it should still be raining you simply sprint all the time to keep temps up and make a fire again when necessary. In the mean time chances are you found some clothing or even a raincoat.

Starvation is not necessary as there are apple trees everywhere, chickens to be hunted and cooked. Wells are usually close by and in case of emergency you can drink out of a pond.

This strategy combined will almost always ensure you survive long enough to find some cans of food or dry food like powdered milk, rice or serial.

When I die shortly after I spawned its never due to starvation, dehydration or exposure but rather wolves or players.

• Beans 1

I did a test on the exp-rain-server a few months ago. The test was on what are you going to die and after what time, when you are ONLY:

walking / jogging / running.

the result was amazing .. it took 3 ~ 23-25min. The difference was the cause of death (I had never stopped and so looted nothing).

Running: death by starvation. (not cold) 

Jogging: death by hypothermic and starving.

Walking: death by hypothermic (hungry / thirsty orange).

The big difference was the distance I could walk. With the inclusion of Stamina, a lot will change. Therefore wait.

Edit:  (Spawn to shipwreck/Berezino, Running, and die close to Kamishovo ! A big distance).

Edited by Sqeezorz

6 hours ago, nl said:

I think before you come to the conclusion the current system is too hard you should first be sure you actually know all ins and outs of the game, I don't say that in an unfriendly way.

This is what i thought too. How long have you been playing dayz chaos ? Like most of the responses here it is way to easy to survive especially with the apple glitch and all as well. I'm sure 63 patch is going to be interesting and i think its going to come out reaaaal damn soon before the holidays so get pumped

I'd add in keeping an empty can so we can boil water  like we used to. It is easy and realistic.  Apart from that everything is roses.

it is also easy "without apple glitch". you just need 5-6min. instead of 20sec.

I can already hear the screaming of the crowd when apples are no longer infinite and you really have to look for them. (try now to survive only with black berries, without the glitch ... you will start to destroy your keyboard ^^)

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

10 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

This is what i thought too. How long have you been playing dayz chaos ? Like most of the responses here it is way to easy to survive especially with the apple glitch and all as well. I'm sure 63 patch is going to be interesting and i think its going to come out reaaaal damn soon before the holidays so get pumped

I started playing shortly after the game was released, when there was food and loot everywhere. After awhile of seeing no forward progress with the game my friends and I moved on. I heard it was about to hit Beta so I figured I would jump back on.

I believe one tiny bit of lore is that people who spawn on the beach were shipwrecked the night before.

You would likely awaken ravenous after surviving a situation like that.

18 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

I believe one tiny bit of lore is that people who spawn on the beach were shipwrecked the night before.

You would likely awaken ravenous after surviving a situation like that.

Yea i'm pretty sure i remember seeing the devs say that the shipwreck at rify IS the ship you came from.

• Thanks 1

To me it should only start with immunity to weather conditions for something like an hour starting when you re-spawn.

Cos its prettly lame if you start in a server with rain, you'll die before you can collect anything to even survive, as the cold is the worst "npc" foe in the game. You cannot even get things to heat you up.

So what happens, if you re-spawn in a server with rain conditions or people leave to another server or it dies, so no one really start on it,

If you try or you die from freezing or you'll die from starvation cos you need to get inside a building and cannot get out till rain stops.