cha0s_actual

The P-38/P-51

The almighty P-38/P-51!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should small can openers be added as a reusable item?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • What the hell is a P-38?

While large can openers can be a pain to find sometimes, they double as both melee weapon and can opener. My thought would be to have the P-38/51 can opener be a reusable item, but have it only open cans, cut cloth, and shave bark from trees. These small can openers work wonders for backpackers and realistically would be found all over Chenarus, so have them spawn more frequently than the large can opener but limit what they can do. What are you thoughts on this?  

Edited by cha0s_actual
  • Beans 1

So you can drop a bomb on the can to open it? Haha, in all seriousness, what's a P-38? As far as I know it's an US plane from WWII.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, IMT said:

So you can drop a bomb on the can to open it? Haha, in all seriousness, what's a P-38? As far as I know it's an US plane from WWII.

The P-38 and P-51 were can openers given to the US Military with their canned rations so they could open them. The hole on can opener is where most GI's put them on their dog tags. Nearly every military had a variant of the P-38. 

• Beans 1

As it is now I simply craft a stone knife, it lasts a long time and when you open cans with it you don't spill too much food.

Also, I think US military stuff should be kept to a minimum. I would much rather see the devs implement a pocket knife (a la Swiss Army Knife) which can perform multiple roles including opening cans, but also car repairs, weapon repairs, cutting stuff, crafting stuff and so on. I am sure those are used by Russians all the time like everywhere else. Sure, they can make them scarce so you really value it as a price item. (true value in the game being it takes up only one slot but replaces a knife, can opener, screwdriver, weapon repair kit and maybe even the lock picking tool)

Just thinking out loud.

I don't think P-38-style can openers would spawn more frequently than the regular type everyone has in their kitchen drawer. Also, both types would take up only 1 slot and perform the same primary function, so I don't see much value in adding a second can opener. That said, I suppose people could say the same thing about other items with close counterparts.

I don't see this being too helpful considering you can open a can with almost every sharp/blunt item you find across Chernarus.

Sure it would be a nice feature but combat knives in military bases seem to do almost the same thing. Or just carry a 1 slot can-opener.

Good Idea though.

58 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

I don't think P-38-style can openers would spawn more frequently than the regular type everyone has in their kitchen drawer. Also, both types would take up only 1 slot and perform the same primary function, so I don't see much value in adding a second can opener. That said, I suppose people could say the same thing about other items with close counterparts.

I could see them adding it if they had some sort of 'combined' item or some sort of keychain that lets you put many small things in one inventory slot.  I do think that the larger can openers should be much more common.  Curious what the Soviet/Chenarian version would be of the P-38/51 openers.

4 hours ago, Ze-Krush said:

I don't see this being too helpful considering you can open a can with almost every sharp/blunt item you find across Chernarus.

Sure it would be a nice feature but combat knives in military bases seem to do almost the same thing. Or just carry a 1 slot can-opener.

Good Idea though.

I don't remember how it works now, but the thing is, earlier, the feature was that if you open it with a can opener you'd get most or all from the can content. If you force it open with a blunt item or an axe it'll spill much of the content leaving you with maybe 20-30%. No option to eat from the floor yet :) Also, you should be able to use a knife and then striking it several times with stone or something to crack it open, but it'd take a bit more time. Having any proper can opener should get you the most from the can and it should be the fastest way.

2 hours ago, cirkular said:

I don't remember how it works now, but the thing is, earlier, the feature was that if you open it with a can opener you'd get most or all from the can content. If you force it open with a blunt item or an axe it'll spill much of the content leaving you with maybe 20-30%. No option to eat from the floor yet :) Also, you should be able to use a knife and then striking it several times with stone or something to crack it open, but it'd take a bit more time. Having any proper can opener should get you the most from the can and it should be the fastest way.

Yes it still works the same way, blunt items like axes, crowbars, chainsaws, ect. Will leave 0-40% or so. Sharp items like knives leave around 80-90%, and the can opener does 100% all the time. But I don't see the need to have another can opener when we already have one. Sure it would be cool, but useless.

16 hours ago, cha0s_actual said:

The hole on can opener is where most GI's put them on their dog tags.

This immediately made me think lanyard.  It would be nice to see something like this as a rare item, maybe found on military zeds.  it comes with an attached lanyard and therefore doesn't take up an inventory slot.  When pristine it opens tins at 100% efficiency.  So, when the CLE/food distribution finally does get fine-tuned then the P38 (and it's resulting inventory/efficiency advantages) would be a keeper.

• Like 1

The lanyard idea would actually be pretty good because you could also store keys on it and other small trinkets you find around Chenarus 

I prefer FW190s and ME262s ;-)

But seriously...I still have a couple of these kicking around and as mentioned, I keep one on a lanyard with a few other handy things....

Problem is...I just end up using my multi tool !

Add a Leatherman and NOW you're talking! Opening Cans, Knives, Screwdrivers, etc.!!

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1