philbur

For the Mule in all of us

Searched and did not find anything about this...so might as well fire it in here.

How about Wheelbarrow, Wagon, Hand Cart, or even just a plywood/metal sheet to be used as a stretcher or way of hauling objects?

With the HOPEFUL introduction of weight-based player stamina values, this type of thing would be used quite a bit I think.

• Beans 2

Meh, this is what vehicles are for. Having to haul a Wheelbarrow, Wagon, Hand Cart, or even just a plywood/metal sheet to be used as a stretcher would still have to be quite tiring, make you slow and vulnerable.

9 hours ago, nl said:

Meh, this is what vehicles are for. Having to haul a Wheelbarrow, Wagon, Hand Cart, or even just a plywood/metal sheet to be used as a stretcher would still have to be quite tiring, make you slow and vulnerable.

Well, you see...the point of them would be the fact that as soon as "most" survivors hear a vehicle they instantly go into KOS mode....and only rarely will someone flag down a car with the only intention being to hitch a ride...

Having some sort of way to haul cargo around (only around towns, even) would mean you don't have to hopelessly go around looking for spark plugs while they have all been looted and hidden away.

Anyhoo....I am asking fellow survivors about this and so far it's 3 in agreement. (4 players asking for new assets must surely qualify for Dev consideration?! Heh heh.

• Beans 1

Such has been suggested before, I would like to see some sort of human powered cargo transport.  This can also be used to help load up lots of loot into another vehicle.  IE park your truck outside of town in some bushes, find a wheelbarrow and start piling stuff into it, wheel it back to your truck and leave it (or even the option to load it into the vehicle if it's large enough with limitations of course, no infinite ammo box bug with wheelbarrows).  Shopping carts could also be used but of course they would be horrible if not incapable of going off road, using a lot of stamina or whatever system they end up using to push it a short distance.  It would also make sense for whenever base building is added if resources are needed.  IE loading up a wheelbarrow full of rocks/cement from a quarry to build.  Would be difficult for say toting larger lumber around such as plywood or beams but that should be stuff you have to carry by hand anyway (as in physically in your hands like a barrel, not just stuffing a helicopter engine into your hiking backpack).

Yeah, I like this. Had a similar thought. Maybe you'll need that shopping cart for a short time to transport a heavy much needed part. Or while you're still a freshie and low on inventory space or your inventory is full already, you found a bunch of real goodies but a bigger backpack is nowhere to be found to carry all this in your hands at least. You found some car parts, and you saw a car with some wheels or a battery missing earlier, but on the other side of town so with this you don't have to run back and forth two or more times. You can push it as fast as jog speed, or walk speed if it is fully encumbered... It makes some noise, but much less then a vehicle, of course. Something like this should definitely be implemented.

Oh...You guys are hilarious....

Slow night for you all?

I searched for "Hand Cart" But thanks for the swift and diligent oversight...Don't know how I could have gone on much longer without someone chastising me for some frickin thing!

;-P

That's why I said, "don't know how you searched". Now you can see others thoughts on the subject from days gone by.

Hardly chastisement....

I was also thinking that, wheelbarrows or just rolling a full barrel, were a good idea, but:

On 23.11.2017 at 6:27 PM, Gobbokirk said:

Shopping carts, live it up Eli/Hobo style :)

I want Shoppingcarts instad. I can see Hobos strolling along the coast!! Awsome Idea!

• Beans 3

Wheelbarrow would be awesome for hauling injured players and they could sit up with their weapon while you push.  All for the shopping cart but it has to have the option where you can ride in it down inclines.

Edited by atomquark

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎24 at 7:55 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

That's why I said, "don't know how you searched". Now you can see others thoughts on the subject from days gone by.

Hardly chastisement....

See!... You just chastised me for thinking you were chastising me! ;-P

Bio... Yep... I think you know my comedic sarcasm by now... I am a victim of being old-school enough to still erroneously think forum readers can magically infer the intent of my words through my text....

• Beans 1

To add to the list suggested human-powered cargo ideas for the future:

• ALICE pack option - ditch the pack, keep the frame
    The ALICE pack (IRL) is essentially has two parts - the pack itself, and the metal frame and shoulder/belt harness it hangs on (usually what's called the LC-2). If we were able to remove the pack, and keep the harness/frame, we could then be able to attach other large things to it instead using rope. What kind of things, exactly?  For starters, an empty barrel tied to the frame seems reasonable, as well as a jerry can, a tire, or even a car door, too. As base building items are added in, it might present a more efficient method of transporting many larger items, or bundled collections of items (within reason), that currently can only be carried with two hands (and balanced out by the fact that you are trading off all your 'normal' backpack space in the process). As the weight/fatigue system is further developed, this could also mean that a barrel carried in this manner would not HAVE to be entirely empty, either. It could be reduced to a fraction of it's usual space when used like that (25-30%), but to access the contents, the pack would have to be dropped and untied in some manner, and take a bit of time to do, preventing players from quickly accessing the contents.

• Wheelchairs (something for much further down the road)
    Have a friend with a broken leg or unconscious? Have a prisoner (conscious or not) you want to move around in (reasonable) safety? Just put them in there (via their own power or by carrying/dragging them into it), use rope or handcuffs to secure them to it (if necessary, with the confined player needing a longer time to escape, and have an animation along with it to make such actions much more noticeable), and wheel them away. Admittedly, this would be tricky to code, and the wheelchair should move/handle incredibly badly on any non-paved surface, and would require the ability to carry/drag players in the game to make it worth spending time on, but certainly would offer a lot of interesting possibilities.