beentheredonethat

Almost done with this game

Logged into no kos server,just spawned,made knife with stone,ran over to apple tree to eat,guy runs up to me and says ok this is a little awkward,but give me your shirt,he had a gun pointed at me,I said ok I dont have anything,he said i'll give you five seconds,I said this is a no kos server...you are dead.Why bother reporting anything,so he gets kicked off,big deal theres a thousand more out there just like him...it's happened to me every time I play,I feel like a mouse in a room full of cats.

• Beans 1

14 minutes ago, onedog said:

Logged into no kos server,just spawned,made knife with stone,ran over to apple tree to eat,guy runs up to me and says ok this is a little awkward,but give me your shirt,he had a gun pointed at me,I said ok I dont have anything,he said i'll give you five seconds,I said this is a no kos server...you are dead.Why bother reporting anything,so he gets kicked off,big deal theres a thousand more out there just like him...it's happened to me every time I play,I feel like a mouse in a room full of cats.

These "people" exist in all games - good luck avoiding them - stick em in the face with a stick next time it happens

Well that just sounds like bad luck, I always avoided people when I use to play alot by myself and I actually got pretty good at it(avoiding). Knowing what routes to take when entering and leaving towns.. or leaving the same way I came in because I know that particular way was safe the first time. Hopefully you will have someone else as back up to play with one day, having just one other person is all you need to watch your back. 

An awesome tactic I have always used when I play by myself is this. When you first hear someones footsteps try to talk first. Lie to them, Let them know that you are with 2 other friends in the area. This obviously puts them into a position of feeling they have the lesser hand. This has worked well for me so many times when another player approaches you who is by them self. Just remember to speak with confidence and dont hesitate when using the mic 

Goodluck onedog and dont give up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

Well tbh he did not kill you on sight, he interacted before he killed you so it's probably within the rules.

Try playing on PVE servers if you don't want PVP at all.

• Beans 5

Online playerbase has always been like this tbf. No KOS servers sometimes attract more KOS players cos they specifically want to troll.

And he did at least speak before killing you. So, within server rules probably. 

It was bad luck. Why didn't you give him your shirt?

10 hours ago, onedog said:

I truly don't understand what the problem is. Armed guy ran to you and tried to rob you of your shirt (he might have been in an urgency of bandages or something), but you didn't cooperate and instead blabbed something irrelevant about the server. Then you got shot.

I think such conclusion makes pretty much a lot of sense...

• Beans 2

I was like a deer in the head lights,kind of shocked that he would kill me over a shirt.I mean he had a gun on me,I was'nt going anywhere,and I was  trying to give him the shirt,five seconds though,I know nobody has to be fair in this game,thats part of the enviroment,and yes it would be nice to have someone else there to cover your back,but even thats not safe,I know of players who have befriended someone and then hours later shot them in the back just to take their stuff, or i've given some poor guy some food who was starving only to get bashed in the face with a pipe wrench.I guess it is what it is,are their any good people out there playing this game?Why do I always get the bad apples.

40 minutes ago, onedog said:

I was like a deer in the head lights,kind of shocked that he would kill me over a shirt.I mean he had a gun on me,I was'nt going anywhere,and I was  trying to give him the shirt,five seconds though,I know nobody has to be fair in this game,thats part of the enviroment,and yes it would be nice to have someone else there to cover your back,but even thats not safe,I know of players who have befriended someone and then hours later shot them in the back just to take their stuff, or i've given some poor guy some food who was starving only to get bashed in the face with a pipe wrench.I guess it is what it is,are their any good people out there playing this game?Why do I always get the bad apples.

You remind me of myself when I started playing Dayz.
I was always trying to interact with players and trusting everyone I came across.
Sooner or later you will become more weary of survivors you come across, kinda like Rick Grimes in the walking dead haha.
Rule of thumb is consider everyone a threat, scope out towns before you move in and if you see someone just stalk that person to see if you can figure out what they're doing/wearing/carrying.
if someone spots you or holds you up try talking, people tend to shoot people who don't talk.

It all comes down to experience basically, you will become a better judge of friend or foe.
This will increase your chances of coming across like minded survivors because they are out there.

Or you can just try teaming up with other forum members of course.

Edited by Trnc84
  • Like 1

If you encounter someone in close quarters and see them first, talk. Either be honest or use the "I've got friends around the corner" rouse.

If you see them first and have a clear exit, run.

Even playing on Vanilla servers you will have a greater mix of experiences with this tactic than simply KoSing everyone. I play DayZ for a large variety of experiences, not rinse and repeat PvP and I like to RP my ideas of survival. Which simply means, stay alive as long as possible. This doesn't include inviting incoming gun fire in any circumstance.

I've found that playing in super paranoid fashion is usually best and many encounters can end in neutral fashion....

"Hey you, over there by the house/tree/well/car."

"I saw you come through town and I wanted to let you know that I am here watching you, but I am not interested in a firefight."

"In a moment I am going to leave this town and you can continue to loot undisturbed."

"I also want to let you know that not everyone will KoS."

"Be safe! Bye!"

This doesn't always ended peacefully or in neutral fashion but if I do get something other than a firefight it's usually a useful trade or DayZ related discussion. We talk about our history with the game, and what we want to see in the future, and once in a while you make a friend.

If it does turn into a fight, well then, you got your pulse pounding PvP and real fight, not some sniping of somebody who never saw you for gear you probably didn't really need.

Edited by ☣BioHaze☣
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

So yes I am a very cautious and paranoid player,I take my time,scout out  the area as best I can,and get in get out as fast as I can.I spend more time collecting materials for bows and arrows than guns an ammo,although I believe you need both to survive.If I see someone I usually do give a shout out,so as not to startle them,good way to get shot,and I have survived for may days without being killed,but I don't really like being a lone wolf,I would rather pal around with someone if I could,but it doesn't seem to happen for me,most have either totally ignored me,or too busy to stop and chat,or just run away,so I guess my next question is how do I find players in dayz  that I could send a text or message,or do I just post here on the forum expressing my interest in looking for other players.Also let me take this time to thank every one for their input,it much appreciated.One more question; in the left hand column if you highlight the persons name it says message;if you check this and type a message to said person,does it get posted on the forum,or is this like sending a personal message to said player

Edited by onedog

Hey, @onedog, just wanted to say to you and other like minded players that might be reading your post and agreeing (which is not the first time): don't have yourself put off this great game just because of other people's motives and these trigger happy ways that they play. Long time ago I was (a lot of us were) in the same way thinking while straight KoS-ed or being mugged, shot, stabbed and/or killed with minimal or some extensive interaction, but then after I finished playing, I gave it a thought and saw that we all need some role-play mentality here indeed to understand this. It doesn't have to be so deep but it comes to this: A lot of things and opportunities that we have in civilized environments just don't count anymore, people are not the same anymore. Besides bugs and flaws in this alpha stage of the game, what can kill the game experience for you is the lousy player interaction. But that's the player's job, not the game's job. There are no NPCs to interact with, waiting for you to push a button to make them talk to you. Still, do you think, right now, getting out into the street at night, that there is absolutely no chance that you'll (never) see this guy mugging you? What makes things even more difficult, Dayz doesn't have yet a clear goal for a player, like in other games, a quest if you will. Maybe it shouldn't and doesn't need one. An average character could think: will the military eventually come in and clear the area, or will the government come up with a plan of evacuation at some point, and will there ever be cure for this disease, or is crime really a crime anymore, and just when will all this end? You don't know, you're stuck in this situation. All that matters is that you're up for some hard times and need to survive like this until who knows when. And you get to enjoy some pretty Chernarus landscape. So, thinking like this, if this was a real situation and not a game, you would pretty much have to be always really wary of the environment and the others, wouldn't you? In case you successfully get by that horrible idea of hanging yourself or throwing yourself off the balcony immediately, you would want to look for cover as soon as you encounter someone before ANY interaction. Or just make sure you're the first to draw, like Wild west you know? You need to have ways of protecting yourself by all means necessary. Hell, as soon as you login, this is where your perception should kick in 24/7. Now for these players who decide to play like classic raiders, it's pretty much easy. It's the easy way, although they're facing the same thing as you are but this is how they play it. In this game it's not just about you anymore. And having them talking shit to you (if you're lucky) before they shoot, is perfect for this game. And realistic too. I'm guessing, tell me if I'm wrong and please forgive me, but this is your every day get out of comfy bed after a good night sleep mentality that you are bringing into this game? Want to be friendly like in those youtube videos, share stuff, not get eaten by wolves, get through the areas with the infected, through hunger and sickness more easily? That's ok, just put it a little lower in your priorities list. Like, closer to the bottom. And it shouldn't be a long list, too. And guess what, their list is even shorter. If you get a slight hint of a suspicion, shoot first. Or run. It takes a lot of time to get some of that good looking youtube material :D If you didn't already, watch this movie, The Road, based on a novel. It's pretty grim, depending on what you've seen so far.

Now, as far as finding other players to tag along with, it will take more or less time. I'm an older gamer, I like some games here and there. After some time playing alone, I made a post on one forum and got into this group of older gamers 30+ and 40+. You can try and identify the player that's somewhere near and write him a chat message through Steam list of players on the server. And yes, you can personal message a forum member here. You'd feel much safer with a buddy or buddies in Chernarus. Of course, it is much more rewarding if you bump into someone which eventually becomes your partner in this. Ages ago, during one of the darkest nights, fresh in Chernaya Polana, which was pretty busy and echoing with gunshots, I went to hide in this garage. There was another guy already, crouched and hiding, looking at the streets. I started whispering (hey! ksss ksss!), he played along :D and we started talking, still whispering, about how to quick loot for essentials and get the hell out of that place unnoticed, which we eventually did. On a public server I found one German guy rummaging through this wrecked car, he started talking first. He played on his own too. We got through pretty much the whole map that day although his English is so bad. And he is an all PVP and KoS guy which surprised me, quick to shoot and loot. That's how he usually plays. Found one similar aged Brit in a tree just logging on to the server, which means easy prey for me, and I brought him too to this older gamers crew whenever he wanted to join in. Also, while pretty much a fresh spawn, and waiting for one buddy to come along, this Russian guy came running at me with a shovel although I clearly had nothing of interest on me. Instead of punching him or poking his eyes with a sharpened stick, I managed to persuade him to stop the nonsense and we talked a bit. My buddy showed up armed to the teeth but we still talked. Eventually he decided to move on towards some other place on the map. I must say Russian nor English are not my native languages, and most of my encounters ended eventually without time to becoming friends on Steam, so all this pretty much makes me happy to remember all these small moments. It's just it might take hours, and also depends in what situation and mood you catch these other players. Are they scared and caught by surprise? Do YOU look and sound scared and behave like a nice little prey for them?

So, in the end, although this is still a game, use it. Explore your good side, or evil side if you want. Or both :D Play it however you want, just remember if you choose one side, the other will surely be out there to get you.

Edited by cirkular
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, onedog said:

that he would kill me over a shirt

^ well in war.. people are killed for saying they need to use the restroom... let alone over clothing or food..

although 5 seconds IS a short time to react... he still interacted with you.. so NO KoS here.. since he talked to you for more than 5 seconds.
if you want a good experience on dayz.. try joining an RP server that has set rules/active admins that DO search logs for KoS.
aftermathRP is such a place (server is not active but it will be again once 63 comes around)

Dayz 'no KoS' servers aren't a guarentee in anyway that you'll not be KoS'd or killed for your shoes..

the best thing you can do is (as other people said)

1. play on RP servers (if thats ur thing)
2. have someone watching ur back
3. avoid places people go (mil bases/large cities/encampments

being paranoid isn't a good thing.. even dayz.. if I see people running around and the FIRST thing they do on server is lose their shit and point a gun in my face..
guess what... you'll drop right there... being CAUSIOUS is fine.. being a paranoid 12 yo who shoots first and asks questions later.. that'll get you killed quick

you've come across rotten apples.. but trust me.. in the community that i'm a part of.. people actually care about the members and the experience

roleplay over gear
roleplay over ruleplay

but EVEN in this community.. if you screw up.. (act tough/break character/run at a stick up) you'll get shot in the face within 5 seconds.. (2 warnings and you're done)

I think my problem is that i'm still a scared little rabbit.I use to run away from the infected and if they were any where around I took off.Not so much anymore, i'm not affraid to take them down,which was a big hurdle for me.I had  never played  an online game before Dayz, what a great first choice for me, and yes there are no rules in this game except survive.And if this was a real situation in real life it would probably play out much the same, there are no guarantees on what plays out.Other players still scare me though,which is fear a natural instinct to stay alive,it's in our DNA.But to feel that in a game,still knowing that it is just a game,I have read where people even get the uncontrollable shakes with encounters,how does this game manage to do that.So in a nut shell I think my main problem is I don't play enough to get comfortable with the game,I need to develop a thicker skin,and not worry about dying a thousand times,I just wished there weren't so many a..........holes in the game.People wan't to feel some sort of progress when they play games, that is the reward,the satisfaction....this game is a rude awakening......I'm still mad that on a server with maybe six people on it I run into the one person who's in a hurry for my shirt..lol ....thanks again for every ones support and feed back

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

You should be scared of the other players, hehe.
But kudos to you for making this your first online experience, talking about jumping right into the deep end of the pool :)

• Like 1

Just finished watching Brothers of Dayz by M1NDR this is how I envisioned my Dayz to be......not gonna happen.......Holleywood

You complain about dying as a new spawn? Come back when you have invested hours over hours and a thousand kilometres while looking for good gear and then getting killed ^^

Dying as a new spawn has absolutely no meaning.

• Beans 1

Even though I have less than 400 hours into this game,I have on occasion  survived for a week or so and invested many hours trying to learn the map and places,and finding good gear,and learning all the skills and crafting,I know dying as a newspawn is insignificant compared to what you are saying,but I really wasn't complaining about dying maybe just the way I died,I guess I don't really know the complete rules for the servers that I play on.

Ok. A guy ran up to you, talked to you, gave you options, you responded, then he shot you. 

That is pretty far from KoS.  

Get callous.  The sooner, the better.

22 hours ago, Parazight said:

That is pretty far from KoS.  +1

Kill on sight, means to kill on sight. 

You are looking for a no KillOnRefusalOfDemands  server. 

• Like 1

The people telling you to kill others sooner should play cod or cs, this is a survival game not a mugging marathon. I just spent about 12 hours of playtime with a character, Gathering a perfect hunting kit, water proof gear, First aid, you name it. Im about to go hunting, im looking for a canteen or pet bottle, and some guy runs up on me, asks if im friendly, I say yes i comment on all the military gear he is carrying. I turn around and the mf shoots me twice in the back of the head, great work team. I didnt even have a fire arm out, bs in my opinion but w.e thats why this games culture is dying out... go play pubg smh. Even after four years in early access the game still has potential, its the majority of people who play it though to kill strangers for no reason.

2 hours ago, saugaslayer said:

The people telling you to kill others sooner should play cod or cs, this is a survival game not a mugging marathon. I just spent about 12 hours of playtime with a character, Gathering a perfect hunting kit, water proof gear, First aid, you name it. Im about to go hunting, im looking for a canteen or pet bottle, and some guy runs up on me, asks if im friendly, I say yes i comment on all the military gear he is carrying. I turn around and the mf shoots me twice in the back of the head, great work team. I didnt even have a fire arm out, bs in my opinion but w.e thats why this games culture is dying out... go play pubg smh. Even after four years in early access the game still has potential, its the majority of people who play it though to kill strangers for no reason.

Maybe you should try playing "Farming Simulator 17" (available on Steam).

Might just be more suitable for your needs (no risk of getting killed by those pesky COD and PUBG inspired players).

Regards

Not all Dayz players have 1000+ hours and they memorize every m^2 of 2 land in Chernarus ... and can only kill out of boredom.

There are also "new-players" that are just beginning.

Everyone has a right to a normal answer when he asks a "normal question" or leaves his impression on the game.

@saugaslayer that is DayZ .. there is no law, only you and your mind or mistrust will guide you.

Edited by Sqeezorz
  • Beans 1

On 11/20/2017 at 7:30 PM, onedog said:

This is how I deal with it, but that's just me ;)

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:47 AM, Blafirelli said:

I truly don't understand what the problem is. Armed guy ran to you and tried to rob you of your shirt (he might have been in an urgency of bandages or something), but you didn't cooperate and instead blabbed something irrelevant about the server. Then you got shot.

I think such conclusion makes pretty much a lot of sense...

Have to agree. He did not KOS or you would never have heard him speak. You should have punched him :-)

On 2/1/2018 at 2:58 AM, ShallowTech said:

Have to agree. He did not KOS or you would never have heard him speak. You should have punched him :-)

Indeed, I think onedog was just having a bad time learning the dayz ropes :D