Sign in to follow this  
Richard III in Leicester

Returning player

Evening all. Long-time player who hasn't played for some time.

What's new and does anyone have any good info for someone just returning? Last time I played was around the time Tisy was being spoken of, but wasn't actually a place yet, and wolves were being reintroduced to the Chernarus wilds.

SO, what's happenin dudes?

artificial_intelligence_3.jpg

You have a ton of material to look over. I would start by all the status updates, most of the negative reviews avoid for now. Most of the reviews can be over a year old. Basically everyone is waiting for things to get finished, that is it and always has been that.

• Beans 1

This version is focused on survival gameplay mechanics testing and they halted this dev branch at .62 for a long time to make bigger changes we're about to see in .63. I have 700 hours in Standalone so im not going to say its not fun sometimes, but that was mainly before all the hardcore survival stuff got put in, just after release. You might like it fine, but be warned, the survival stuff isn't very intuitive or realistic at the moment and might not enhance or gameplay/immersion as it is, so..

You might wait to play until .63 comes out or you might very quickly turn into Queeg 500.

EDIT: "Quig 5000"...

Edited by libertine
  • Beans 1

I've been waiting for it to get more of a survival and more hardcore. Will be interesting to see. I've just gotten home so will load it up and see how I get on!

Cheers folks!

Beanz

• Beans 1

Some quick tips to keep you from getting discouraged:  The rain is a big hassle right now, so hang on to the flare that you spawn with, and if you are having trouble lighting a fire without a flare it helps to craft a torch from a rag and a stick, which you can use to light your fireplace; stones can no longer be gotten just anywhere, so consider stocking up while on the beach, or carrying a pickaxe or ice axe to mine the lone boulders for stones as you go; zombies are lootable now, and will often be your best source of food as you try to get off the coast; get a knife or an axe as soon as possible, and cut everything you see into rags; leather clothing will give you the best protection from wolves, and the shotgun and magnum are among the best common guns to kill the wolves.

good luck

• Beans 2

So far, eyefinity still isn't really working on this anymore. It used to a year or two back. All the other Arma games are good with 3 screens but the DayZ devs have broken it? It works if I play the game windowed. I'll leave that for now.

So, next issue what have they done with the controls? Can't bind a sprint key now? It has to be forward and sprint together now? Also the new menu for controls is clunky af. I have to select a function, then tell it to add, then apply, apply again, then continue. Surly that's at least two clicks too many? Going to stop moaning now.

It's running smooth. I'm in Berezino. Some loot in the industrial at the NE of the city. Going to sneak in now.

It's daylight still and warm, I've gotten some alright clothes and been through half of Berezino. Made loads of rags with a fireaxe from the firestation. Found a barrel! So can place that near an old Berezino safe spot I used to use. Might be alright ;)

It's pretty quiet though, I'm guessing there aren't many on atm.

Game's still glitchy, but apart from zeds fighting still being pretty awkward it's been fun. Stealth really works which I love, it's needed that. For so long it was aggroed from half a field away for no reason... So far so good then. Got rope and sticks, need burlap or a pig to make a backpack. Found a pistol and a RAk but no ammo.

6 hours ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

SO, what's happenin dudes?

There have been more than a few content additions but no major game-play content has been added since wolves.

Personally I've been lurking and patiently waiting for some kind of aircraft or base-building to be implemented, and if I had to guess I'd say it's still going to be at least a few months before we get them.

I do expect Beta on EXP in a month or less though, although it likely will not have aircraft or base-building in it to begin with.

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Beans 1

25 minutes ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

So far so good then. Got rope and sticks, need burlap or a pig to make a backpack.

The only animals currently in game are chickens, cows, deer, and wolves.  Don't waste your time looking for pigs, they were removed for now because of an unfortunate potential for abuse.

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

Also the new menu for controls is clunky af. I have to select a function, then tell it to add, then apply, apply again, then continue. Surly that's at least two clicks too many?

Agree, this is some of the most frustrating game design i have ever seen. I thought about making a video of me quickly setting my keyboard shortcuts in another complex game where you just double click on the thing you want to change they press a key and your done; then show how long it takes compared with DayZ. All for the sake of educating the devs if they weren't big gamers and some aren't. They want to waste gobs of your time and cause frustration.... in order to prevent your time being wasted and you experiencing frustration.... Best not to fight fire with fire.

Edited by libertine
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, emuthreat said:

The only animals currently in game are chickens, cows, deer, and wolves.  Don't waste your time looking for pigs, they were removed for now because of an unfortunate potential for abuse.

I hear a hawk sometimes... Or is that the chicken off in a distance HEHE

Have to say, it's really got the 'the road' feel about it now. Which was Dean's original inspiration for the feel of the game. So thumbs up to that.

The trees are being blown around a little too much though if you ask me, maybe turn down the ferocity of that.

Been living off apples and chicken and the odd tin here and there. It isn't too difficult to stay fed.

I haven't been able to get back online since Friday, but will log on now for a bit.

Is there a way no to find out which server I'm actually playing on? Or is it simply log out and whichever one I dbl click that takes me to the right server is the only way?

1 hour ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

Have to say, it's really got the 'the road' feel about it now. Which was Dean's original inspiration for the feel of the game. So thumbs up to that.

The trees are being blown around a little too much though if you ask me, maybe turn down the ferocity of that.

Been living off apples and chicken and the odd tin here and there. It isn't too difficult to stay fed.

I haven't been able to get back online since Friday, but will log on now for a bit.

Is there a way no to find out which server I'm actually playing on? Or is it simply log out and whichever one I dbl click that takes me to the right server is the only way?

If you click on "play" it will put you on the same server you last played on

• Beans 1

Or:

hUeUrlu.jpg

Make a hook to "prev. played" and all other empty. (Not sure its work properly..or its reset by updates).

Lots to look over but not a bunch to see. 

I'm swirling around on the edges looking into the bowl wondering when to take a dip. 

Emu- glad to see you're still on it bud. Amazed, but glad to see a familiar face! 

14 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Or:

hUeUrlu.jpg

Done all that, selected 1st person only, previously played restrict to this character only. Still shows 5 servers even though I've only used 2. I left and tried them until I got the right one. But now I've forgotten the number. Just wanted to be able to tell people to join.

- Yes I've been pressing continue to carry joining the same server etc what I was asking is is there not even a way to see which server you're actually on when you're in the game?

Had a great time last night. Saw other players! Holy fook

Had a couple of gunfights at the NWAF.

It's so good that it runs so smoothly. For me anyway, how's it run for you guys? I remember how laggy it used to be it made shooting hit and hope. This engine it's always 70-100 fps. Very nice.

I'm back in Lopatino now, my old home in the old days/ What's new out West, dudes?

5 hours ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

Snip.

Yes I've been pressing continue to carry joining the same server etc what I was asking is is there not even a way to see which server you're actually on when you're in the game?

Ok, that will not do. Unless there is a chance (option) to see steam where you are. (Friends on Steam can see if you're in DayZ "join Game" and get a window with the server IP.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

Ok, that will not do. Unless there is a chance (option) to see steam where you are. (Friends on Steam can see if you're in DayZ "join Game" and get a window with the server IP.

If you don't want to or can't check Steam - instead when you have exited the server look in your own PC files. The default for the file location is _ My Documents/DayZ/ _  in there find your DayZ profile. It is called  <yourname>.DayZProfile    Open this with Notebook (don't change it!) and look for the line  lastMPServer  pretty far down the list - that line will tell you the IP and port number  of the last server you just played on.

xxP

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

DayZspy.com is also an option to see what server you are on, but it shows you the entire server roster by in-game name, as well as the current time on server and a line graph of the past and current population.

So if all that extra information doesn't ruin your (or anyone else's) experience, you can tab-out and open DayZspy or (use steam overlay), search for your own name, and it should tell you which server you are currently on.

• Beans 1

16 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

When i pick a server i jot it down on paper so i know what server it is 

I always used to type it into notepad back in the mod days lol. Along with tent co-ordinates and whatever.

But still, come on Devs. There should be something like in older times that says 'you're on server blah blah' when you log in? Does it for private hives with battleye extended, but why not public?

That's another thing actually, do maps in game not work now? If I had a map but pressed M nothing happens, didn't it used to be that the best way was to put it onto your hotbar and then press the number for that?

But surely it being in the control options as M should make it work with M like in Arma? Or am I doing soemthing wrong?

16 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

If you don't want to or can't check Steam - instead when you have exited the server look in your own PC files. The default for the file location is _ My Documents/DayZ/ _  in there find your DayZ profile. It is called  <yourname>.DayZProfile    Open this with Notebook (don't change it!) and look for the line  lastMPServer  pretty far down the list - that line will tell you the IP and port number  of the last server you just played on.

xxP

Checking Steam I hadn't thought of that. Also, yeah I could look for that lastMPServer line. But it's not very user friendly. If someone was new to the game they don't wanna have to do all that to find out what server they were on to be able to tell others. Notepad is still DayZ's best friend lol

• Beans 1

Welcome back!

This is an odd time for players to return.

There are massive changes coming in .63 that will make .62 literally obsolete.

If you're hankering for DayZ and if you want a final taste of the old tech before we enter the modern age, this is the time for it.

Personally I haven't played much since .62 dropped and have lost all interest until we get .63....

*sigh* I still miss it though, and my survival buddies!

• Beans 1

17 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

*sigh* I still miss it though, and my survival buddies!

That's what it was for me! I missed some old buddies, and missed Chernarus as well. Revisiting has been good - nostalgic as well. First run round the NWAF I was very jittery!!

Can imagine the first time I finally hear a heli go overhead as well. That will bring back memories.

Had been so long since I'd been on I wanted to see where it was at and get back up to speed.

What're the biggest things coming in .63 that everybody's waiting for?

Just seen a clip about it, the bikes look goooood!!! Long awaited. I was at Gamescom, didn't get into the DayZ bit though. Queue was daft.

Edited by Richard III in Leicester
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, Richard III in Leicester said:

That's what it was for me! I missed some old buddies, and missed Chernarus as well. Revisiting has been good - nostalgic as well. First run round the NWAF I was very jittery!!

Can imagine the first time I finally hear a heli go overhead as well. That will bring back memories.

Had been so long since I'd been on I wanted to see where it was at and get back up to speed.

What're the biggest things coming in .63 that everybody's waiting for?

Just seen a clip about it, the bikes look goooood!!! Long awaited. I was at Gamescom, didn't get into the DayZ bit though. Queue was daft.

This is the demo from Gamescom:

• Beans 2