Henk Grunn

When will gameplay be introduced?

5 hours ago, noreaster said:

Alpha is a stage in game development in which core mechanics and features are still being dreamed, developed and implemented. Beta is a stage in game development which most of those features have been realized and fine tuning, polishing and optimization begin.

We are in Alpha. This thread and any like it are simply absurd and could only be derived from someone who doesn't understand the concept of game development. The game is not meant at this stage to be a fulling polished experienced. It is a chance for you as the player to try the game, give suggestions, help with bugs etc... The game in no way is complete or polished or meant to be balanced.

If you follow along development and what is planned for the game you would know that the scope of this project has changed and expanded dramatically with the end goal of easily being the most comprehensive, realistic and potentially hard-core survive game ever made. Which is what makes this pre-beta post complaining specifically about content so silly.

In other words they are scraping what has been, and are doing it all over again. kind of a (alpha-beta) all rolled into one. 

9 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

Maybe true, but I prefered to meet random people in the coast. Maybe naturaly one day I will evolve into your level, and will meet some people regularly with a help of mentioned applications and forums. But thats a bit deeper level. As for being easy/hard in terms of loot economy. More loot makes it harder IMO, because naturaly more players gets armed.

And these things has nothing to do with engines and features.. It just could be.

If you are looking for interactions, whatever the kind, it is mostly determined by the types of servers you choose.  After I hit my "basic proficiency level" at surviving more often than dying from player encounters, I took a strategy of getting set up on boring public servers, with dwindling populations, just to go out and meet newer players who were still weary of being wary.  There is some strange reward in contacting a player who is just so grateful that i didn't KOS them, and helping guide them to the place they want to explore, or help them to find or craft that thing they have been wanting to see.  More recently, The Vilage has been one of the more rewarding servers I've ever played. You can find pretty much every playstyle extant in some form or another on that server, and the player movements are as diverse and widespread as their intentions.

I don't think it is productive to wait for the game to change player behavior, though I am certain that contamination zones and limited spawns for increasingly varied transportation and basebuilding loot will do plenty to mix things up.
A large part of the stagnation of gameplay and lack of emergent player behaviors has been directly due to the regression of the average player towards being an asshole--completely devoid of empathy, rational forethought, or goals that go any further than looting your dead corpse or despawning every camp they find.
Players choose the destructive option at an alarmingly high rate, almost as a rule in DayZ.   Many rationalize it as meta strategy for the good of the server; despawning gear to put it back into circulation, or killing geared players to give them something to do again; and others use the survival strategy of denial, removing batteries from vehicles they cannot take to prevent others from using them as easily, or despawning camps to deprive their potential enemies of the weapons and food.

Spending time on the village was a pretty good indicator, that no matter how many people you got to try to contribute to building something special and different, there were twice as many people who would abuse it to get easy kills, or log on overnight and disassemble everything that had been built.  So far, no encampment has lasted more than a couple weeks, and not for lack of trying.  It is simply impossible to maintain 'round the clock protection effectively and indefinitely, from the hundreds of random players who make it their life's mission to destroy anything that anyone else has made on a DayZ server.  So with these things in mind, i find it far easier to blame the lack of interesting thing to do in DayZ on the players, rather than the game; people are trying to make gameplay interesting and emergent, but there are even more people out there trying to stop us.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

I still think it was a mistake 'allowing' players to move their characters from server to server. The ability to blink out of existence in one universe, and pop into existence with all your equipment, is what kills communities and the like, at least in my opinion.

Lock characters to a server, and chances are you will see communities form.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

I still think it was a mistake 'allowing' players to move their characters from server to server. The ability to blink out of existence in one universe, and pop into existence with all your equipment, is what kills communities and the like, at least in my opinion.

Lock characters to a server, and chances are you will see communities form.

This is what the dayz dev's wanted. They asked the community a few weeks/months ago whether or not they would be happy with completely removing public hives and it seems that they didn't like it. I for one would prefer private hives.

2 hours ago, DannyDog said:

This is what the dayz dev's wanted. They asked the community a few weeks/months ago whether or not they would be happy with completely removing public hives and it seems that they didn't like it. I for one would prefer private hives.

The last word is with the developers. The devs have the ability to collect and evaluate data. The time for such a change is not so good at the moment, with another update that changes a lot, the world in Chernarus may look very different. So another chance to watch the public data. The step to basebase makes a decision much easier. At the moment, serverhoppers have more negative influence on the gameplay (and that is really meant the excessive hopping, because once in a while a server change, because you want to play with friends together, that is something other than pure advantage and loot seeking). Maybe there will be "penalties" in the future if you change too often (you're hungry and thirsty again, or you lose 10% blood and health each time you change). there are many opportunities unnecessary server exchange restrictions to impose, the one or two server change on a defined timespace. but just quickly here and there, and there will be a real threat to the right reason and are preparing to cope well, or you die by hopping. we will see.

I think if the devs slow the game down too much, as in players going around the world in search of things to gather, they simply wont.

They will hop close by their so called base, gather all they can on empty servers because nobody is going to run half way across the map to locate a can of beans.

So bases will be the end all area for the majority of players. It will be of no use to explore other towns, or cities unless you want to engage in PVP or search for that rare bullet stash, or gun.

So slowing down characters, any more will hinder this game completely with the size of the map. 20000 players down to 1000 is the feeling i am getting.

12 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Where was this? I must've missed it.

4 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Oh, that. That's not the same as what DannyDog was saying though, it's only about renting public hive servers.

See: https://forums.dayz.com/topic/236606-future-of-public-hive-servers/?tab=comments#comment-2370956

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Thanks 1

^And this is the reason I am so excited about BETA, as it will allow modders to come in and actually give us what we want and in a timely manner

2 hours ago, Ree' said:

^And this is the reason I am so excited about BETA, as it will allow modders to come in and actually give us what we want and in a timely manner

Enlighten me, what is it that "we" actually want?  

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

Oh, that. That's not the same as what DannyDog was saying though, it's only about renting public hive servers.

Yes you are right. But I never saw anything of what @dannydog writes. we are waiting for an answer. (maybe removing rent from public hives is just step 1 of 2) ... and yet, everything is just speculation.

On 2017-11-13 at 12:52 AM, emuthreat said:

So with these things in mind, i find it far easier to blame the lack of interesting thing to do in DayZ on the players, rather than the game; people are trying to make gameplay interesting and emergent, but there are even more people out there trying to stop us.

I think that it is different now, as far as I understand DayZ started from the core community. And the core community are always the best people. It might have worked well as a complete sandbox back in the day. But now DayZ is mostly alive on its past fame, and a lot of guys who still play are just the ones who didn't in the "golden age", I wouldn't expect them to be top class either. The game needs to have proper gameplay guiding mechanics, and loot economy is exactly that. When players in the map are as dense as vapor, this game is just a vapor too.  Some might have learned about the game just in past year or so, some might upgraded their hardware just now.... When DayZ launched 0.60 performance improved so much that basically doors got opened for a great mass of players. Sadly the gameplay went downhill so fast, that it was just obvious - don't play me yet. Buy me when I'm at full price please. Goodbye, and see you later.

I should stop posting here because everything is crystal clear, and it is pointless fighting windmills. 

Don't play me yet. Buy me when I'm at full price please. Goodbye, and see you later.

Edited by Mantasisg

3 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

And the core community are always the best people.

Best? Its ALL a matter of opinion and all opinions are valid. But it is a problem if your opinion is the minority opinion. What a person likes depends largely on what a person has experienced up to this point in life.

This is why i think one of the solutions for the gaming industry is simply more customization. They focus on "loot boxes" and other crap to capture more loose money that they know is out there from our very seriously unequal paycheck distribution (and i think i'd much rather game devs get that money than it remain held by wealthy freeloaders living off the effort of others), but simply allowing more realistic play in the Battlefield series, just as one example, no-mini map, no respawn, no quick scoping, etc, would bring in new players with a different set of gameplay tastes.

One thing that I think might help the issue with the ethereal nature of player characters on the public hive would be to split up the official servers into miniature hives in their own right; where a single public character is distinct to only a handful of servers, based on region perhaps.

Anything that keeps the same players tending to the same servers seems like a good thing in terms of ensuring the existence of public servers with steady regulars. As long as most people remain warily/greedily/nihilistically trigger-happy, most new players will naturally tend to low pop servers to learn the basics.
Unless it is known that the current population is distinctly different from what the Beta and 1.0 audience might look like, any changes to the server and character system that positively affect player behavior and increase average population per server should be a step in the right direction.

On 13/11/2017 at 10:24 PM, Guy Smiley said:

Enlighten me, what is it that "we" actually want?  

CONTENT is what we want/need

3 hours ago, Ree' said:

CONTENT is what we want/need

So you think the devs are just going to not add content and the modders will be the saving grace of Dayz? smh

On 01/12/2017 at 9:35 PM, Guy Smiley said:

So you think the devs are just going to not add content and the modders will be the saving grace of Dayz? smh

Yes I do, Theyve had 4 years to do content, and every post mentions lack of said content, so modders who do their work as a hobby, usually release better stuff 

1 hour ago, Ree' said:

Yes I do, Theyve had 4 years to do content, and every post mentions lack of said content, so modders who do their work as a hobby, usually release better stuff 

Lmao.  Ok there buddy.  Don't quit your day job

• Haha 1

A modder is only as good as the base on which he wants to build. If the base game allows for good mechanics then a modder will succeed. So without a good core will never grow a fruit.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:54 PM, Guy Smiley said:

Lmao.  Ok there buddy.  Don't quit your day job

Love when morons rag on someone who gives their opinion and it doesn't match theirs.  GUY SMILEY FTW

Modders are going to isntantly throw together a mod to board up houses and apartment complexes, you will be able to live inside a house safley while the zombie menace ravages the world outside. I will live in one of these houses, eat people and read moby dick. 

6 hours ago, Baker. said:

Modders are going to isntantly throw together a mod to board up houses and apartment complexes, you will be able to live inside a house safley while the zombie menace ravages the world outside. I will live in one of these houses, eat people and read moby dick. 

You mean modders are going to throw in more guns, add this circle of doom that will slowly get smaller and smaller over time as the players scramble to find guns to kill each other with and the last player standing wins.... oh wait....

42 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

You mean modders are going to throw in more guns, add this circle of doom that will slowly get smaller and smaller over time as the players scramble to find guns to kill each other with and the last player standing wins.... oh wait....

Nope, I mean the part that I said. Not the part where it becomes PUBG. I own PUBG. I dont own DayZ with boarded up winders.