Baty Alquawen

Status Report 7 November 2017

11 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

i just thought that maybe chickens would go and leave the villages after when food are out...thats why i thought that maybe you could only find chickens in random places wandering.

you can kill a boar with an axe but you have to plan it, trap it, and you only get one hit. it's a challenge.. Ive tried 50+ times, done it twice.. find a place on a steepish slope with some fallen trees, where there are boars.. eg like the valley leading inland from Solnichniy .. you can even cut trees to help form traps .

chickens are for the WEAK

Edited by pilgrim*
xx Pilghrim
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

I like the way someone dragged a railway wagon out into the middle of an earth field, did you pull it through the trees? - did that take a whole gang of quads with ropes?
At least you know no one's going to drive off with it, ever.

when you look at the map around that area.. 
http://www.dayztv.com/standalone/dayz-chernarus-plus-map/

003 107 just SEE how much clear space is over there.. there's a legit track goin next to the spot..
WZW of zelenogorsk
WNW of pavlovo
its not ALL dense woods all over the place its a clearing on the left side of the map (wolf territory in standalone) so basically we have wild attack dogs xD if you go there on foot you get eaten.. you use a truck we'll hear ya comin' 

7 minutes ago, Baz88 said:

That was not the point man. it was meant to stay there and not being removed ;) there was a train track nearby so that explains it

No prob mate - Be Radical, change the game the way you want it. Like your school base.  - I guess Modders got to Mod.. right? 
Not a crtit of your mod - but everyone seems to be concentrating on cars and shacks when humvees and tanks would be more interesting, plus shaped charges and clamores for anti zombie barbed wire & underground (basement) ares that need flashlights to explore. - etc - Instead of MORE loot and MORE cars.
Mods ALWAYS seem to come down to "more loot and more cars"  - No offence to anyone.. just my experience. Happy to be wrong.  To me, it looks like most mods turned out to be GTA with extra weapon drops.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

No prob mate - Be Radical, change the game the way you want it. Like your school base.  - I guess Modders got to Mod.. right? 
Not a crtit of your mod - but everyone seems to be concentrating on cars and shacks when humvees and tanks would be more interesting, plus shaped charges and clamores for anti zombie barbed wire & underground (basement) ares that need flashlights to explore. - etc - Instead of MORE loot and MORE cars.
Mods ALWAYS seem to come down to "more loot and more cars"  - No offence to anyone.. just my experience. Happy to be wrong.  To me, it looks like most mods turned out to be GTA with extra weapon drops.

that all depends on what type of modder you're talking to..

talking to a 12 yo kid who has f all to do and is bored shitless... yeah sure that'll be gta 23.42.2 in 5 seconds..

Bazz88 and myself are experienced RPers so we play for the survival and roleplay aspect of things..

having cars... good way to get around quickly at the cost of being heard...
having tanks? hmmm overkill if you ask me.. literally nothing is going to be able to withstand that for 2-3 shots
knowing the build style of the 1960's russian countries

your point of claymores is a valid one, that'll get players well aware of 'stay the hell out of our area or we'll blow ur socks off' signs on fences

what dayz is missing IMO is the pure survival aspect of things, we had guys that are serving militairy and hobby survivalists

they'd look at the game and go: thats static but by the looks of that mushroom.. or moss you can use that for X or Y because (lists 5 uses for static thing)
dayz should be more interactive so pine trees are present in the thousands.. pine needle tea anyone?

there's been mods around since 2014 for the SA version..

bee hives/megafone/updated map (4 times the size of the vanilla map) things that we legit need if crop dusters become a thing or heli's because if they don't increase the map size, it'll turn into 5 minute runes to the other side of the map 'because shits and giggles'

its a matter of perspective and the way you wanna play it when it boils down to it..

modding should be personal for everyone

survivalists will play on survival servers with lots and lots of improvements on enviornmental aspects of the game..

and the 12 yo COD/BF 2745 are going to play fps shooter 2.3(dot)dayzmap

177184F3C3BD091C1DCCFBE8CE7B3A242B969EC4

Welcome to woodburry.... 

Edited by Tigermonk
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

what I've noticed in the last few SR's, the devs talk a lot about weapons and combat systems. But what is or how far are you with the other mechanics of the game? Diseases, wounds, healing, crafting of different things? It seems a bit confused to talk about more interaction in the game, but in return, the Focus is focused on weapon systems. Or is that a surprise?

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

"In addition to this, the idea of an economy of scarcity should give said agency to players engaging and interacting with each other, but far too frequently, it ends up being a drive to either completely avoid players - or to just destroy them on sight. I truly hope that as we move into BETA, and begin to see mechanics that give players more of an option and feel of having an impact on the world, that we see the core game loop expand past loot-shoot-survive. As my most memorable experiences in gaming all come from those types of interactions with DayZ, and DayZ Mod.To achieve this however, we need more than passionate developers. We need to hear from you all. Constructive, and engaging feedback on the systems and mechanics of DayZ that either drive, or hinder player interaction is key - and I hope you all will engage in this more often as we move into BETA."

I too want to see more then loot-shoot-survive. Question is can we do more? Want we to try more? Do we need to do more? Are we the right person able to appreciate more options?

In short I think the game should reward cooperation and creativity more. This will attract more players with an explorers' and builder's mindset. Destruction is an easy way of having influence over others. Creating is the difficult way of having influence. Make the creative way easier, more useful, more meaningful, more powerful.

Example:

The game starts you off as being a lone survivor, you've nothing but your life, whistle, candy-bar, flares and a worn lifevest. Travelling along the coast in search for warmth, food and help. Abandoned villages with only hostile mad people. I  grab some clothes from a washing line, rips a few cans from a cupboard and head inland. Drinking from streams following the roads I see a farm. As I pass the shed I pick up an axe and knife which I sharpens on the sharpening stone. The cowboy head will keep my head warm and dry, and the scarecrow's burlap sack is a nice place to store the vegetables and fruits I found in the garden. In the quiet farmers' house where flies and mice flee from my soft sneaking footsteps I starts to walk the creaking stairs to the upstairs bedroom. I gentle push open the door and there is woman lying face down on the bed. I steps forward to see if she's .. suddenly a mad man cries and aims his double barrels, in a reflex my axe swings and lands on the farmers head, blood splatters across the axe, the wall, the floor, the bed, dead couple. Still shaking I leaves with a box of 12ga and a gun in my bloody hands. Night is about to fall as I travels along the woods edges and fields, his stomach rumbles, as I hears another stream. Arriving at the stream I notice fresh tracks, two kinds, one with split toes. He recalls his pathfinders' book and believe there maybe dear ahead. Glancing up I see the treetops waving in the wind that is probably coming strait at him, good, the dear is not going to smell my approach. Carefully avoiding making sound brushing my clothes and stepping on branches I move slowly forward gun in hand. There they are! I see a dear drinking from the stream. Shaking with excitement, or was it the cold, I take aim and fire. The gun sound echoes through the forest, the crows fly off in panic and the dear jump off and flee. The chase is on, rushing in I notice the dear I shot is not there, but the fresh blood trail shows it's wounded. Tracking the blood crest a small hill and there it is, limping and falling. I fire my second barrel. The dear is small and I swings it over my shoulder to carry it to a warm place for the night. Arriving at the forest edge I see a barn. After eating a quality BBQ I falls asleep on a warm haystack. In the morning I'm woken by the sounds of barking dogs? I look down and see a pack of wolves fighting over the bones of the dear, right next to my sack, axe and gun. Oh shit, how do I get out of this mess? Trying not to attract the hungry wolves' attention I searches the haystack and finds a hayfork, it's not much but it is something! I lean over the edge and watch the pack fighting over the bones and wonder which one to hit first. One seems to be the alpha, scaring that one may just give him enough time to get down and grab my gun and ammo. The hayfork flies through the air and lands right behind the shoulder blade, the wolf cries in agony and keels over. The others are surprised and scatter barking in panic. Quickly I climb down and grabs my gun and ran out. A shot whizzes by followed by a riflesound! My feet slide as I quickly turn to sprint back in. More shots follow, and the barking stops. Moments of silence pass, my heart is racing hiding on the barns attic gun sweating in hand. "Come out, come out where ever you are..." As a shadow dressed in hunter camo enters the barn. He checks the fireplace, the bones, then sees the killed wolf and says, "nice job killing that alpha wolf, I think you have a talent!". A talent? At school they always told me I was useless because I did not care much for modern life. "I'm up here, I'm armed, don't make a move, drop your weapons!" The hunter kneels, and places his rifle and knife on the ground, then put his hands above his head, asking: "are you going to shoot me?" Maybe, tell me what is going on, why are you here? - "Well, yesterday I heard two shots in my woods and I followed your dear's blood trail and found a pack of wolves and now you". What I mean is: what is going on in this country?, everybody seems either dead or crazy and hostile! - "well you don't think I'm crazy do ya? Actually I think you're the one that needs help". He's right, I need some help. What can you do for me? - "Well I know how to hunt, and I have a save warm place to stay." How can I trust you? "I all fairness you cannot, but you can rely on knowing I could have shot you 5 minutes ago when you stepped outside".

A few days passed and I learned the advanced hunting skills from the hunter's manual. It was now easy to spot blood trails, walk quietly, aim faster and longer, skin and use sounds to attract game like ducks and dear. In this god forsaken lonely place my new friend has provided some great friendship. He explained that a few years ago this country was struck by a strange disease. " Initially the government tried to help the people, but when the economy stopped working the panic chaos overwhelmed the local authorities. The army was called in and blocked off the area, but was to ill equipped to deal with the gangs and groups of slowly dying desperate civilians. The UN sometimes drops crates to places they believe still has survivors, containing foods and weapons." Why weapons I asked? - "I'm not sure, maybe to help the survivors, maybe to help them killing off each other faster? after a while everything seems to becomes possible". He continued: "anyway, today it's time we resupply, we need to stock up and get ammo and all the other stuff that only can be found in town". We emptied our rucksack to the bare minimums of food and tools and closed our cabin to head for town. A few hours went by navigating through the woods. We used a compass and a piece of paper to take notes, and draw our map. We came to a road and the hunter explained: "I believe this will lead us to the nearest town" - How do you know? "Well this road follows that river, which will lead to an artificial lake where they generated the power that travelled over these powerlines" pointing at the lines and posts along the swirly road. Walking on the road was much easier and I enjoyed the sounds of nature around me. "Take cover!" jelled the hunter as he dove to the side behind some rocks. Trusting his instincts I did too. "Listen in the distance a car is coming!, hide". But why? "because they are probable a looting gang on their way!" ok, and what if they're just like you? "They are not, trust me! - the best thing is to let them pass by and then resume our way own way". What if they got what we need? I mean that we may be in the minority but we have the element of surprise. "Are you sure? I mean there is no way back once we open fire!" I'm tired of walking, how should we stop them? "well the best way is to make them somehow stop, have them exit the car and then shoot them, Oh and off cause make sure they don't see us." I think I know, let's shoot one of the tires and when they ge.. "No bad idea, shooting the front tire makes the driver swirl of the road and wreck the car; this is what we're going to do.."

The car cruised along the curvy forest road, when it suddenly came to a screeching halt. A tree had fallen over the road. Two men exited the car and begin to chop up the tree into logs and putting them in the trunk. I shouted from the bushes: Hands up! drop your weapons! The two men took a knee and complied. "Please don't shoot us" one of them said, "we're on a mission to help our wounded friend, he has a broken leg and we need to get medical supplies in town!". You're bull shitting me, you do not know how to fully heal a leg! "No really I can proof it, I'm a medic! take a look in my backpack and you'll see the medicine book". Yeah right, and the other guy? what's your speciality then? "I'm a mechanic, a very pissed off mechanic to you that is". You're kidding me? Can you repair water pumps too? "Depends on what you have to offer in return!" Well lets see, how about your life? This moment the hunter interrupted "That's not what I've taught him!, he should learn some patience, maybe we're better off working together, remember the barn friend?" not waiting for my reply the hunter said: "Ok people let's try this, You put their weapons in the trunk, and we have our new friends sit in front and drive to the nearest hospital" I put all weapons in the trunk, but kept my knife in hand and sat next to hunter in the back, keeping a close eye on the mechanic in front and the medic behind the wheel we drove off. The uneasy silence of this strange kidnapping situation was just getting unbearable when the hunter said " let's turn on the radio", rotating the knob landed on the one radio station that was still broadcasting, and it was John Lennon " All we are saying.. is give peace and chance, all we are saying.... ".

Edited by Troll_Hunter
spelling, form, grammar

1 hour ago, TikTactical said:

Thank you for the feature once again! I really appreciate it! <3 :)

I thought of presenting my thoughts in a story way, Initially I thought what about a small sketch? but it went a bit longer as more ideas popped into my head. I also liked the surprising actions my fictional characters went through. I think this is also what makes Dayz great, the surprising unique actions of unique characters. They should do everything in their ability to attract those to play Dayz.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

A year or so ago I said the game will get to a point that players will have to work together. I hope the game gets to that point. I see some of that on the forum now.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

18 hours ago, GaryWalnuts said:

Another great status report!  I'm looking forward to seeing all of the changes in .63 and also seeing some of the old crew again (and some newcomers).

Since .62 experimental is going the way of the dinosaur soon(tm) and the devs still have their data to collect,  why not spice it up a little?  Most of those servers are pretty low-pop anyway now.  It would be interesting to see the devs take one or two servers and load them up with some gimmickery.   Just to draw some curious players in that's all and fill up a server or two.  I'm sure the devs have had conversations along the lines of "imagine what would happen if we did xyz?  the playerbase would outrage!"  Well here's an opportunity to try it.  It's only experimental, it's not going to ruin anyone's stable character, and it's coming to the end of it's life-cycle anyway.

As @kopo79 said, and as a many of the experimental players have eluded to in the past, I'd also be in favor of harsher conditions.

* rainy weather, of course

* remove all canned or prepackaged foods - we have to hunt, farm, or fish for what we eat (and trap too, bring back wire!)

* turn up deer and animal populations a bit to support this (and bring back boars!)

* turn up the zed sensitivity and aggression 

* turn up the possibility of cholera and infections

Basically, do your worst (or best) to keep us on the coast!

Wire... the pain, why did you have to bring up this, for me touchy subject? But hell yeah, would love to see wire and boar's back in Experimental. I think these things we've pointed out are definitely new things or changes which will be interesting for some or all players.

16 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

I would love to see a mod which increases immersion, shouldn't Vanilla DayZ provide (enough) immersion. Personally, I'm all for more loot, more weapons and more vehicles... types... definitely types. I'd like to see less quantity of it though.

• Haha 1

Thanks guys, reading your status report is a ritual in my life ;) ahahah
I'm still over hyped to try out 0.63 !! I want to fight coasters with combos and parade like Dragon Ball Z (lol ok I'm out)

I'm asking myself from a long time how to force players to interact much more with each others, and the only answer I've always found was to play with the difficulty button.
When the environment will be so aggressive that you cannot survive alone, players will be forced to cooperate.
We need more Z and plenty of hostile wildlife. I just love wolves and cannot wait to be attacked by bears !
I know you have issues with performance and the number of Z, hope you will find a way to put 100k Z on a single server with hordes :P

I will always remember my first play through on the Arma 2 DayZ Mod, I arrived on a GMT+1 server, it was so dark and the moon was in the same place than IRL, I've shitted myself so hard...
Your work on 0.62 brought a lot of immersion, these kind of feeling with a much more hostile world will force players to shit themselves back ;)

Cya in Chernarus

6 hours ago, IMT said:

Wire... the pain, why did you have to bring up this, for me touchy subject?

I know how you feel about it, IMT.  I too have been waiting for the banana holster since .47.  I know the devs have explicitly stated that it'll never happen but I'll never lose hope.

• Sad 2
  • Beans 1

On 11/8/2017 at 3:06 PM, GaryWalnuts said:

Another great status report!  I'm looking forward to seeing all of the changes in .63 and also seeing some of the old crew again (and some newcomers).

Since .62 experimental is going the way of the dinosaur soon(tm) and the devs still have their data to collect,  why not spice it up a little?  Most of those servers are pretty low-pop anyway now.  It would be interesting to see the devs take one or two servers and load them up with some gimmickery.   Just to draw some curious players in that's all and fill up a server or two.  I'm sure the devs have had conversations along the lines of "imagine what would happen if we did xyz?  the playerbase would outrage!"  Well here's an opportunity to try it.  It's only experimental, it's not going to ruin anyone's stable character, and it's coming to the end of it's life-cycle anyway.

As @kopo79 said, and as a many of the experimental players have eluded to in the past, I'd also be in favor of harsher conditions.

* rainy weather, of course

* remove all canned or prepackaged foods - we have to hunt, farm, or fish for what we eat (and trap too, bring back wire!)

* turn up deer and animal populations a bit to support this (and bring back boars!)

* turn up the zed sensitivity and aggression 

* turn up the possibility of cholera and infections

Basically, do your worst (or best) to keep us on the coast!

I am sorry, I can't make it harder now. We can't change it only for one server, just weather and time. You need to wait for 0.63. :/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Baty Alquawen said:

I am sorry, I can't make it harder now. We can't change it only for one server, just weather and time. You need to wait for 0.63. :/

Yes the guys seam to forget time spent on .62 takes time away from .63. 

33 minutes ago, Baty Alquawen said:

Hmm..Did not the devs say at startup of hmm ~ 0.59 that they have the possibility to change the Loot-table of the CLE at any time without an update? That would mean that the server at Restart makes an "import" of the loot table. Or is this a general reference from the Masterhive of BI? If so, it is clear that it is not possible, if not, it would have to be possible to create other conditions at the base of the loot. (as an example: no canned food or limited weapons or ammunition ...psst...or no apples ^^ then no apples no glitch.) ... or you would have to block the import function ... and...or...if... hmm maybe that's easier to imagine than it really is.

2 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Hmm..Did not the devs say at startup of hmm ~ 0.59 that they have the possibility to change the Loot-table of the CLE at any time without an update? That would mean that the server at Restart makes an "import" of the loot table. Or is this a general reference from the Masterhive of BI? If so, it is clear that it is not possible, if not, it would have to be possible to create other conditions at the base of the loot. (as an example: no canned food or limited weapons or ammunition ...psst...or no apples ^^ then no apples no glitch.) ... or you would have to block the import function ... and...or...if... hmm maybe that's easier to imagine than it really is.

They can change the loot tables without updating, but that doesn't mean they can do it per-server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dancing.Russian.Man said:

They can change the loot tables without updating, but that doesn't mean they can do it per-server.

yes I understand. I was afraid of "Global BI Hive Import". then the only question is: do Exp and Stable have the same loot-table import? if not, it would be possible to create a hard expo experience from the loot. (For larger patches was a lot different, even in things like new loot content, or is it controlled by the "core program." I do not want to argue endlessly, it turns just the question of what we can ask for experience that can make the devs with relatively little effort.

** (even if the makarov in the files is turned into a banana, many would be happy with the holster.)

On 08. 11. 2017. at 5:04 PM, Tigermonk said:

Welcome to woodburry.... 

I like this idea but it looks too squared. Few containers out of straigt line or few relaces with car wrecks would look much better.

- Chapter 2 -

It was getting dark and the medic put on the car's headlight; one of the bulbs had burned out. In a few moments we get close to town, but it is very dangerous there with z's and gangs roaming the streets. They'll see our lights and hear our car so we go in on foot. Do you know a outdoor store I asked? Yes there is one, and you're in luck it's close to where we arrive the medic replied. I think it's time to fill up the radiator the mechanic said pointing at the dashboard's temperature gauge. I think I can help I have two canteens the hunter replied. Ok, let's agree to be back here in 20 minutes, and please be careful to stay stealthy. I'll put a red chem-light in the car so we can easily find it back.

Walking through town there was an eerie silence, on could hear only the sound of wind and leaves. Sometimes a rustle scared me to only discover a couple of tiny rat's eyes digging through the trash. In the distance I heard an owl's whistle. We passed the houses because those are were the places most of the infected were. We tried to use our lights a little as possible because that would instantly attract them. As we saw the outdoor store come into view I noticed there was light in there? Hunter told me to remain extremely careful, because any sound would lure out the infected. Hugging the store's wall we circled the building to scout the premise. Hunter gave me the stop sign and signalled me to come close whispering "I see moving shadows, at least two". I've an idea, let's lure them out and club them. "ok, search for a rock, and throw it against the front door, then get your axe and be ready, I'll be at the back door, ok?" The rock hit the door, the sound was very clear and I was afraid that the infected neighbours might be alarmed too. Then I heard footsteps heading my way,  then the door swung open and I planted my axe right in his face. Carefully peaking inside I saw hunter clearing the room, "all clear" he said. "We've 10 minutes left, quick", and we started stuffing our backpacks. Our softly lit car was easily relocated, and hunter put the spark plugs back in, "the anarchist's way of preventing theft" he explained. We let the car idle to warm our selves and waited. I was starting to get worried about the medic and the mechanic when I noticed a light blinking in town? There was a pattern to it! SOS! That's them! I cried to hunter, he saw it too, but wasn't instantly reacting as he said we don't know who's light it is, it maybe trap.. But, but, can't we do SOMETHING? "hold on, I've a plan" Hunter put the car in gear and stepped on the gas, turning off the road through the grass fields along the town towards the other side of the valley. The ride was very rough and loud with rocks, gravel and grass hitting the fenders and the bumps made it harder to see what was going on. Then hunter steered the car hard left sliding facing the town and said, "Now we use our lights and horn, and distract the infected to come to our way!" It worked right away, but my God those where a lot of infected! "Get in!", hunter shouted, and we drove backwards luring the rushing infected further from the village. Hunter turned off the lights and said ", this should give them a chance to escape, we now drive around to our rendezvous, hopefully they'll be there". A short few minutes later, nearly exhausted them Mechanic and medic arrived. "I don't know how to thank you" the medic said, "we got everything, but in the hospital our flashlights got spotted an we got swarmed" "We were clubbing many infected for what felt like ages as I noticed we and you should already be back. My friend used his flashlight to sos, that would at least tell you we're in trouble!" - "I don't know who thought of it, but your distraction was great" the mechanic mumbled. Hunter, "thanks, did you got what you need?" - "Yes, let's fill up the radiator". "Ok, then I'll put back in the spark plugs" hunter added. "Smart guy you are, you're a fortunate man to have around, let's go I'll show you the way" the mechanic replied.

On the way back the mechanic suddenly said: "stop the car!, stop here! I need to get something!" he got out and went to the berm lifting up a small deer, and putting it in the trunk. "Now you know why our radiator is leaking, I'll fix it later, now it's time to enjoy a little bbq and share a story with our friends waiting at the barn".

Edited by Troll_Hunter
spelling, grammar, style.

chapter 3: The morning after.

Waking up late from the sounds rain I felt my belly rumble. I looked in my new backpack I got from the outdoor store and grabbed a ready to go meal. I ripped it open and went outside to the water barrel that was filling up from the rain, added wate and went back inside to put it next to the fire to warm up. Hunter left a note stating he and our new friends were going around the area to loot and hunt and they would be back at 11:00, this gave me time to ponder our situation. It was clear that our equipment needed replacements, and our car needed fuel. At night the woods were extremely dangerous because of the wolves, bore and bears. Not being able to navigate and see in the dark causes a lot of noisy and dangerous missteps. Our current barricaded farm was much safer and warmer, with our own well and trees to harvest wood from close by. The planks we harvested of the fences, and served us well to board of the lower windows and barricade the doors to keep the wolves out and at least give us some time before a bear would gain entry. Knock knock, it's us. I opened the door and saw 4 drenched men enter our living and gather around the open fire place to dry and warm up. How is your leg doing, can you sprint again? "Yes the medic has fully healed it, thank god. When I felt from the roof I was able to find some sticks and tape to splint my leg, but not being able to kneel or go any faster then jogging was terrible." "I reset his leg, and now it's fully healed" the medic added. Great, how did the looting and hunt go? "Well we did not find much that we could use, and the food is also very low here. hunting wasn't a success either, I think bambi has moved on." So it looks like there isn't enough for the 5 of us, we need to find another place, a bigger place with more resources."Well, if we do we need to become more creative to keep trouble away" Well we cannot stay here, so let's pack up and get to the car and head west.

Driving along the countryside felt surreal, the sun had broken through the clouds and mist evaporated from the wet land. The pools of water on the road began to melt away and the crickets began to chirp again. We came to a military roadblock blocking an old stone bridge across a shallow river. Across it laid a village, it looked abandoned. Guns at the ready we entered the village, clearing out each house using melee weapons to avoid making sounds that would lure in all of them. No we had cleared the whole village we needed to set up defence. We pushed cars, garbage containers in place, cut down wooden posts to bar vehicles from entering. We also made a few fireplaces to light up key entrances at night. We detached and moved sections of fences to form new barriers. The hospital and fire department had and emergency generator, and some fuel to work. The local supermarket had enough left overs for at least a few days. This town was going to be our base. The next day we spend on cleaning the town burning the dead bodies, gathering materials and food, checking the fencing, we even painted a bit of art on the walls with spraypaint. I was all a lot of work but it made our place feel like home. With the lights on we sat down in the hospital garden enjoying some canned foods and the stars when we heard a sound in the distance rapidly approaching. We rushed to the roof an spotted an helicopter heading in our direction. We were exited and nervous, are they going to help us, or kill us?

On 9-11-2017 at 10:44 PM, igor-vk said:

I like this idea but it looks too squared. Few containers out of straigt line or few relaces with car wrecks would look much better.

please note that this was on arma 2 dayz MOD server back in 2012.. on our own server man... we just messed around with lots of things and didn't really have dementions of what ever all we wanted to do is fill up the map with P.O.I. so the map was less empty because it was totally empty when we first played the mod.. svetlojarsk was not a thing.. the entire coast was about empty.

back then svetlojarsk location was nothing more then a humangus range mountains and the bay it sits on right now

Big goals.

A friend of mine and I've been thinking about the game's goals. At the moment Dayz has this:

1. get warm, fed and armed.
  2. find and interact with other players.

These can be found in all other survival games too. It is basically a slower 'permanent death' deathmatch. Deathmatch to me is a boringly predictable and very limited range of interaction. Agreeing with Dayz's vision I like the game to go beyond, allow for bigger goals. My friend and I thought of: 1) eradicating the disease, 2) map domination. For both one needs a large group of organised people. A team to work together, manage resources, restore high level equipment, manage communication, manage conflicts, manage security, insurrection, spies, alliances, enemy groups and global in game events. In a sense the player follows a historic journey form 'hunter gatherer' to a (restored) 'civilisation'. It's in building and securing your clan / society that most interesting interaction and bonding happens.

To build and maintain a civilisation one needs specialisations. I suggest these five: Hunter, Medic, Mechanic, Electrician, Leader. These people are needed to perform advanced actions, the basics can be done by everyone, see my stories above. A bigger social group needs advanced equipment to make transport, communication, scouting, combat, etc viable. A bigger group also needs an increasingly bigger place to live and gather resources.

Lifespan: We've also be thinking about the game's timespan. In deathmatch  there is usually a level change time, upon which a score appears, followed by a reset for the next level. However if you have all the time in the world the feeling of urgency is lost as well. Analogous to Sid-Meyer's Civilization, I think there needs to be a limited life time for a character on a server. Imagine being elected leader, having only 1 month to live; what would you do? A limited time puts a limit on choice, and a limit on choice makes the choice more valuable.

ps.

I think Dayz could win back the colourful creative adults with an new intellectual and social experiment that's unique and challenging.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

Question: Why are there so few responses to Brian Hicks's question?

I truly hope that as we move into BETA, and begin to see mechanics that give players more of an option and feel of having an impact on the world, that we see the core game loop expand past loot-shoot-survive. As my most memorable experiences in gaming all come from those types of interactions with DayZ, and DayZ Mod.

To achieve this however, we need more than passionate developers. We need to hear from you all. Constructive, and engaging feedback on the systems and mechanics of DayZ that either drive, or hinder player interaction is key - and I hope you all will engage in this more often as we move into BETA. Utilize our official forums, open tickets in the feedback tracker - hell, even post on Reddit and tag Baty. This is as much your game as it is ours.

@Troll_Hunter Probably because there's nothing new yet to spark a discussion? His point was that he hopes he sees more discussions and suggestions about the game more specifically about BETA when it reaches or is released.

• Beans 4

7 hours ago, Troll_Hunter said:

We need to hear from you all. Constructive, and engaging feedback on the systems and mechanics of DayZ that either drive, or hinder player interaction is key - and I hope you all will engage in this more often as we move into BETA.

exactly what @dannydog has written. above the section of B.Hicks that it refers to the beta.

I think that's why it has generally become quiet here in the forum (and especially in the suggestions). We know what's coming, and yet we do not know what's really coming, what's going to be possible and what makes sense, or everything has already been mentioned before.

It is since announcement for the unknown time of 0.63, like the calm before the storm.

• Beans 2