Max Head

RETURNING AFTER 2 YEARS

I was a massive dayzmod fanboy back in the day and spent many many hours in it with a few mates over the year or two it was REALLY big.  Like the many other millions who bouaght the SO when announced, ive been waiting and waiting patiently for dayz SO to get there, dropping in now and then over the years, but not playing much.

I know BETA is only round the corner now so Ive jumped back in a few nights recently to see where we are.  To be brutally honest Im so disappointed to find it to be such a boring grind to a pointless death with zero thrill.    I search until I starve, finding sweet FA food or drink to survive by, and much less finding any useful survival items in time, and weapons and bullets that shoot??  forget it!  I run around searching EVERYWHERE until I inevitably starve or die of hyppthermia due to being wet.  No mater how much I change my clothes im still wet through!!

Why is there zero fucking food and why are the zombies now harmless annoyances rather than the terrifying death dealing, leg breaking nasties that they used to be, meaning you had to sneak as soon as you saw one and avoid confrontation at all costs unless you had a decent weapon that was quiet.  Now you just run up behind them, or in front, it doesn't matter much, and bosh bosh and he's dead.  Not really much of a zombie game if the zeds arent anything to worry about at all!  They were FAR more terrifying in the mod, even if a little OP, and even with the annoying accidental clipping deaths etc, it was still better experience than it is now.  

I know its still alpha, but really, its so far from being the addictive, edge of the seat, white knuckle, heart thumping, nerve wracking experience it used to be, that kept me coming back for more, and more, and more, no matter how many times i died.  At least back then I got the chance mostly to get kitted up enough to at least not have to worry constantly about starving or hypothermia and get inland to die an honourable death, rather than the feeble wet fart of a death i seem to be stuck looping in now,  dead before i can get anything of use at all or find any enjoyment. 

I got so annoyed now playing it, so, so sadly very, very disappointed.  I really hope this isn't the state of the game going forwards, as its just turned one of the best  survival sims of the decade into a starvation simulator with some arcadey zombie boshing.

Edited by markmac_2003@yahoo.com
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

hmm...

I suggest waiting until 1.0 before playing DayZ again, you might like it then or at the very least there will be a mod that you enjoy.

Edited by OliverPlotTwist
  • Haha 1

What you played was an older version they made playable for the public so they could work on another dev branch and make bigger foundational changes. The Zeds are the last thing the plan on focusing on for some reason. Definitely recommending checking out the Steam dev blogs before you get worried. The just last two should clear things up a bit and give you a better picture of hwere they're trying to take it. They are focusing on Dean's original no-fuck-around survival game though so probably best to get used to less food. Can't use maps right now so i use a Daytv's map.

The survival mechanics you need to get you going (possibly considered spoilers...):

Apple trees are a life savers

You need a fire to dry your clothes

to make a fire you need an axe to harvest bark and sticks to make a fire and also make the thing to light it, i forget the name. You need to chop logs to make the fire last longer than a few minutes.

There are youtube videos that quickly go over all this stuff.

Edited by libertine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, libertine said:

You need a fire to dry your clothes

to make a fire you need an axe to harvest bark and sticks to make a fire and also make the thing to light it, i forget the name. You need to chop logs to make the fire last longer than a few minutes.

There are youtube videos that quickly go over all this stuff.

Firedrill-Kit ^^

step to step:  Spawn on the Coast --> search here a Stone and make a stoneknife.

Then search apples,

if you drenched --> make a fire.   With the stoneknife you go to a biger tree and "earn"  2x Bark and 2 Branches.(1branch are your first weapon)

1branch  (with stoneknife) to 3 sticks.

1bark and 1 stick = Firedrill    /    1 bark and 1 stick = Fireplacekit.    search a place to make a fire (in a house with fireplace) oder unter an Big Roof or simply under a tree.

Under a tree are not realy easy.  the Close Position from tribe, and if not possible ti Ignite then Chance the Position naer the tribe. (start with eastside, then sud/west/nord).

Now you can survive and search Loot, ist not easy on the coast, go westside.

C03308900236D6478E92AECAA42F625B3B36D48A 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

@markmac_2003@yahoo.com

"feeble wet-fart death"...That is pretty damn funny...and pretty damn appropriate! 

And well...believe it or not, going out that way is pretty much how it would actually happen in real life as a person who finds themselves in a desolate post-infection cold and barren land, with just a t-shirt and jeans...

The more pathetic and miserable the suffering is the more immersive and realistic it seems.

I fully appreciate that this would be a huge "disappointment" for a returning player from perhaps 2014\15, but this is the intended direction the developers have chosen to go.

I would ask for your patience and perhaps you will get comfortable with the initial challenges facing a new character, like finding enough food from loot or the environment, or getting a warm coat and an axe or knife, and hopefully luck will be on your side and you will spawn into a server that is not pouring rain (which pretty much seals your fate, ask me how I know)...and perhaps the new direction the Devs have gone might be appealing to you.

If not...as @OliverPlotTwist mentioned...there will no doubt be a Mod that will meet your needs.

• Thanks 1

Hahaa, didn't you know that you are supposed to ghost into different server if it starts to rain lol I have pointed out this issue before. People are dumbing down the game by doing that. But you made a good point about changing clothes and still being wet, haven't played much lately, but IIRIC it was a thing, and only a fire could help at some point. Devs doesn't keep up the game with changing engine I suppose, game is not meant to be played yet.

You chose wrong time to enter, game was majorly unexciting to play right after they have introduced 0.60. Which is the shame because techside got so much better. Was this on purpose, so less people will play till Beta IDK... just my conspiration theory. Clearly alpha is not meant to be so heavily played. Also Bohemia clearly has DayZ at the bottom of their priorities. They just didn't keep up with demand, and went for "I'm not ready", by just stopping giving a damn about if it is functioning as a game. There used to be interactions in 0.5x, now it is so much more rare, also looting - it is a joke. All you do is loot. It is just pure waste of time. Some may have found their way how to squeeze juice from DayZ and make it work for them, either something is wrong with them, or they are very good at finding ways.

Just gotta wait for beta, also probably it won't even make it all, perhaps 0.8 or something... Learned to not expect anything while they are still moving from one engine to another. 

And as for the way devs are going, I must admit it is scary. Huge hopes that this is nothing like the final game will be, because it is now - nothing. Nice map and somewhat smooth performance with nothing for hours. 

• Thanks 1

don't be silly op, food is everywhere.  it's just not all in cans.

59 minutes ago, Red_Ensign said:

Look to the sky OP, you may see some Apples falling.

I agree that the game is probably In it’s most boring state right now , which is incredibly ironic due to all the years that we actually had fun playing this game- and how all the beautiful tech came in right when it got boring  . Unfortunately the novelty has worn off after 4 years of playing the crap out of this game . Now all me and my squad do is hang around the most populous areas so we can get some cheap and easy pvp in . 

We need hordes of zombies that aren’t so easy or boring to kill, we need base building , barricading and electrical generators so we can restart towns and take over territory creating new community’s and new rules for all the towns of chernarus . We need new player controller and animation system so the game doesn’t feel clunky, and for fucks sake we desperately need a better cle because this one is really piss poor : multiple guns sitting on top of each other in towns that are barely touched due to them being completely empty of loot for literal real life days , but then going through a half dozen towns to only find a couple pairs of pants , multiple inches of rain and nothing to do but freeze everytime you aren’t in front of a fire .

Oh and can we talk about how bullshit making / placing fires are now ? “It’s not safe here “ “went out cuz of the wind” — are you serious ? It’s unsafe to make a fire on a concrete surface inside of a massive hangar with no wood structures ? What a joke , I’m inside a shed with no windows yet the wind is making the fire go out ? 

Yes we all know that the beta is “right around the corner” but It definitely doesn’t make this .62 patch any less boring , in fact like I said above .62 is by FAR the most boring patch we have ever had . Devs just move the fuck on - whatever you are waiting for is defly not justified, just push it out to experimental, we no longer support your ulterior motives for holding off a perfectly suitable experimental release - whatever it is swallow your pride (or your hidden opportunities) and let us help you fix it for Fucks sake ! Almost a half a year on ONE PATCH !

Edited by blackberrygoo
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the tips and some good points about whats missing or broken I agree with them all!  I will have a try see if I can do better with your advice, but really hoping as many said, its a interim phase where a lot of the mechanics are either out of whack or simply absent.   I look forwards to heli;s most mysel, if i can find enough food to survive long enough to fix it!! 

I may well find some mods that are better, but thats a sad cop out for the game that was so amazing as a mod it has to depend on mods to make it great again. 

Anyways, good to see there's still a community behind it who have faith ;) , and I look forward to seeing it take proper shape, and still hope it can be ALL the things it should be and more.   (bring on the heli's!!)

Look to the sky OP, you may see some Apples falling.

I spent 20mins stocking up on apples but it got boring, and then i ate a whole raw chicken.. a few minutes later im ravenous?!. greedy fuk!

18 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Firedrill-Kit ^^

step to step:  Spawn on the Coast --> search here a Stone and make a stoneknife.

Then search apples,

if you drenched --> make a fire.   With the stoneknife you go to a biger tree and "earn"  2x Bark and 2 Branches.(1branch are your first weapon)

1branch  (with stoneknife) to 3 sticks.

1bark and 1 stick = Firedrill    /    1 bark and 1 stick = Fireplacekit.    search a place to make a fire (in a house with fireplace) oder unter an Big Roof or simply under a tree.

Under a tree are not realy easy.  the Close Position from tribe, and if not possible ti Ignite then Chance the Position naer the tribe. (start with eastside, then sud/west/nord).

Now you can survive and search Loot, ist not easy on the coast, go westside.

C03308900236D6478E92AECAA42F625B3B36D48A 

Thanks for the diagram dude!! Awesome!! lol! 

• Thanks 1

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎05 at 4:03 AM, Mantasisg said:

Hahaa, didn't you know that you are supposed to ghost into different server if it starts to rain lol I have pointed out this issue before. People are dumbing down the game by doing that. But you made a good point about changing clothes and still being wet, haven't played much lately, but IIRIC it was a thing, and only a fire could help at some point. Devs doesn't keep up the game with changing engine I suppose, game is not meant to be played yet.

You chose wrong time to enter, game was majorly unexciting to play right after they have introduced 0.60. Which is the shame because techside got so much better. Was this on purpose, so less people will play till Beta IDK... just my conspiration theory. Clearly alpha is not meant to be so heavily played. Also Bohemia clearly has DayZ at the bottom of their priorities. They just didn't keep up with demand, and went for "I'm not ready", by just stopping giving a damn about if it is functioning as a game. There used to be interactions in 0.5x, now it is so much more rare, also looting - it is a joke. All you do is loot. It is just pure waste of time. Some may have found their way how to squeeze juice from DayZ and make it work for them, either something is wrong with them, or they are very good at finding ways.

Just gotta wait for beta, also probably it won't even make it all, perhaps 0.8 or something... Learned to not expect anything while they are still moving from one engine to another. 

And as for the way devs are going, I must admit it is scary. Huge hopes that this is nothing like the final game will be, because it is now - nothing. Nice map and somewhat smooth performance with nothing for hours. 

Ghosting into a different server is pretty lame, I agree...And dying a few times of hypothermia before I got a fire going and a few nom noms into me is not the end of the world IMHO...as it gives me a bit more of an emotional investment with the character that makes it past the initial day or two.

Looting is not the only thing to do by a long shot right now.

The builds are at a transition point due to the fact that they are finally rid of the legacy game engine. The last thing they want to do is release a buggy and broken Beta because they rushed content into an engine they don't/can't understand fully yet. Not trying to make excuses for the state of the game, though...just my perspective, that's all.

Guess I am a "finding ways" savant...because I still find it cathartic to wander the map and mess around.

Trying my hand at being a city-dwelling hermit now...and its pretty spooky in a high POP server!

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

3 minutes ago, philbur said:

Ghosting into a different server is pretty lame, I agree...And dying a few times of hypothermia before I got a fire going and a few nom noms into me is not the end of the world IMHO...as it gives me a bit more of an emotional investment with the character that makes it past the initial day or two.

Looting is not the only thing to do by a long shot right now.

The builds are at a transition point due to the fact that they are finally rid of the legacy game engine. The last thing they want to do is release a buggy and broken Beta because they rushed content into an engine they don't/can't understand fully yet. Not trying to make excuses for the state of the game, though...just my perspective, that's all.

Guess I am a "finding ways" savant...because I still find it cathartic to wander the map and mess around.

Trying my hand at being a city-dwelling hermit now...and its pretty spooky in a high POP server!

The majority of DayZ's game engine will be the same as it is now when we get 0.63. It's (almost) only the player controller that changes along with everything that's relevant for it, which does affect the majority of how we play and what we can do, but it's not like the whole engine is getting swapped out.

Sorry but I disagree about the player controller. The engine has been rolled out for the most part but I don't think it is in a state where the Devs can just start adding features and content.

Optimization will probably be the hardest part and I can imagine we are going to see some drastic FPS drops in the first release or two.

This is going to be a HUGE difference. And "everything that's relevant for it" means everything your player can interact with. SO that covers most of the dynamic content.

That's what I meant about it might be a bad thing if they rushed the content.

They may have finished building the instrument....but now they need to learn how to play.

1 hour ago, philbur said:

Sorry but I disagree about the player controller. The engine has been rolled out for the most part but I don't think it is in a state where the Devs can just start adding features and content.

Optimization will probably be the hardest part and I can imagine we are going to see some drastic FPS drops in the first release or two.

This is going to be a HUGE difference. And "everything that's relevant for it" means everything your player can interact with. SO that covers most of the dynamic content.

That's what I meant about it might be a bad thing if they rushed the content.

They may have finished building the instrument....but now they need to learn how to play.

I'm feeling dumb. I have no idea what you're trying to say with this post. Unless i'm over thinking it and you're just stating that they can't add content or features because the animation system/player controller hugely impacts the way devs can code their functions.

And also dancing russian is sorta right. They're not swapping out the entire engine. So i'm not sure what is it you disagree with him. Maybe you misunderstood him? Idk i might be having one of those dumb days.

I think phillbur says: it's not "ONLY" the play controller that will be new. He thinks it is "THE" player controller. It is a very important and complex part of the engine that was missing to get all the other new engine modules working properly. It's like the middle part of the puzzle (the one with the important pegs, of which there are only a few in a puzzle image, but key points) of a picture that gives it all.

goldene-kreislaubs%C3%A4ge-kreispuzzlesp

12 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

I think phillbur says: it's not "ONLY" the play controller that will be new. He thinks it is "THE" player controller. It is a very important and complex part of the engine that was missing to get all the other new engine modules working properly. It's like the middle part of the puzzle (the one with the important pegs, of which there are only a few in a puzzle image, but key points) of a picture that gives it all.

goldene-kreislaubs%C3%A4ge-kreispuzzlesp

Yea I got that much from it. Just doesn't really make sense with him saying he disagrees with russian man when it's the same point he made.

On 04/11/2017 at 9:34 PM, Max Head said:

To be brutally honest Im so disappointed to find it to be such a boring grind to a pointless death with zero thrill.

Welcome to life. The only consolation I can offer is that it'll be over before you know it, and then there's an eternity of blissful void. I can't wait.

• Haha 1

@DannyDog 

The are this:

"It's (almost) only the player controller that changes along with everything that's relevant for it, which does affect the majority of how we play and what we can do, but it's not like the whole engine is getting swapped out"

And i think the "(almost)" are the critcal point. ^^. It sounds as a little part.

14 hours ago, philbur said:

And dying a few times of hypothermia before I got a fire going and a few nom noms into me is not the end of the world IMHO...as it gives me a bit more of an emotional investment with the character that makes it past the initial day or two.

I get the gist here regarding the idea that grind at the start makes one time you manage to stay alive more of a achievement.. but I still think if I change my clothes, and/or stay in shelter, I shouldnt get SO wet.. its shuld at least delay the clock on my hypothermic death!   Im no flaker and I like a challenge as much as the next guy but I do wonder how the game will attract new players at all with such a bleak grind to the enter the "game" proper, its very off putting .. even for me, whom I consider myself to be a bit a vet dayz survivalist from the mod days, but maybe Im old skool now and this is the new dayz?  Also pissed at the lack of fear created by the zombies.. but again I guess judging anything at this stage of transition is pointless.

1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

"It's (almost) only the player controller that changes along with everything that's relevant for it, which does affect the majority of how we play and what we can do, but it's not like the whole engine is getting swapped out"

Can someone please explain what the "player controller" is and why its relevant right now?  I feel Ive missed part of the story and Im no game dev so not sure what it is at all. 

On 11/5/2017 at 1:07 AM, libertine said:

don't bother with logs. Just bark and 1 stick off the ground to make fire starter. - to get bark you can use anything that cuts.; stone knife or whatever.

In the woods make a fire with three sticks - light it -  take off ALL your gear and dump it on the ground - just drop it in a heap by your feet.  Stand by the fire - pick up sticks and drop them in the fire slot (you just have to turn around to collect them from the ground), after 6 or 7 sticks YOU are dry - then you can put ALL your gear back on (just click on it) -  because as soon as YOU are DRY all your gear is dry too. Takes 3-4 mins total. 
just don't let anyone catch you in your underwear.

xxp

• Beans 4

On 11/4/2017 at 5:34 PM, Max Head said:

why are the zombies now harmless annoyances rather than the terrifying death dealing, leg breaking nasties that they used to be, meaning you had to sneak as soon as you saw one and avoid confrontation at all costs unless you had a decent weapon that was quiet.  Now you just run up behind them, or in front, it doesn't matter much, and bosh bosh and he's dead.  Not really much of a zombie game if the zeds arent anything to worry about at all!

I agree with this, they hardly ruin clothes now let alone break bones. I would much rather be scared and sneaking around than easily walking 20 ft away with one looking at me that still doesn't aggro. This would also make dispatching zombies more of a priority when entering towns because you could not easily loot around them, and I for one appreciate dispatching zombies.

Edited by Kohlbar
  • Thanks 1

@Dancing.Russian.Man, @DannyDog, @Sqeezorz

Hi guys!

Yeah...my post was a bit vague and sorry about that.

I originally meant that the NEW player controller is such a dramatic overhaul on how we will interact with everything and everyone and therefore the Devs need to consider EVERY relationship and dependency of each item and each action.

That's a tall order to get right and bug-less the first time around.

A note on the New Spawn mechanic as well...as I hope that the "Final" server browser will indicate the weather...so the fun of dying to the elements, at least, can be avoided.

• Like 1