Vattenlarv

Always a persistent physical character

Not sure if I have seen this one discussed in a while. 

Why not always leave the DayZ character, in the very state your character is in at the very moment you disconnect, left on the server in a "sleep state". Fully interactive, incapable to defend her/himself from being stolen from, or even killed. Not needing to drink or worry about being affected by outer factors like rain or the infected, but persistent on the server you last logged off from, like a vest or a back-pack with the properties of your DayZ survivor. If you choose to switch server, your character will despawn from the last played server, only when you physically log on to a new server.

In short, your current character never leaves the DayZ universe.

Thoughts? 

I would like to at least have tried it out for a month. Who knows, maybe there is enough room for all our profiles to simply hide somewhere in a wide amount of servers.

Private hives would still be an awesome thing, I think! Maybe 200-300 players plays regularly on a very popular private hive server. If you have the right gear on, you can blend into any color bush or be fairly camouflaged under a low hanging pine branch. How often do you keep perfect track of the symmetry in all of the hundreds of pine trees you pass during your travels?

Do not necessarily appreciate private hives? Chernarus is a pretty big place, there will be a fair amount of less played servers around if you want to rest easy. However, becoming a complete ghost at any point in time, is it needed?

(These numbers are nothing but an unqualified guess from my part. I have no insight whatsoever in to how many servers are up and running, nor how many players are actively playing at a certain time. All I know is I see a lot of names I recognize when I play on my favorite servers, regardless of game with average server capacity 30-100 players)

I have no preconceived opinions or judgement about any of this. I can just not recall having seen the discussion. 

I can recall seeing this discussion many times before. The answer is always  "nope". It's not realis... (cough) 'authentic', fun,  or necessary. Players off the server will be annoyed when they log in as fresh spawns, and players on the server will find dozens of vacant idling characters—not cool.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -Gews- said:

"and players on the server will find dozens of vacant idling characters—not cool."

Would they tho? Tents do not always get raided, if you place them in a clever enough location. Tents are much harder to hide than a character. The chance that another player stops to take a closer look at the very bush you are hiding in should be fairly small, or?

Is there really such a huge amount of players on each individual server that the game world would be cluttered with idling players, or that you'd find a player everytime you chop down a bush for sticks? It sounds highly improbable to me.

It would at least solve problems like combat logging and spawning in behind characters, which is not very authentic or fun. Perhaps, if you do not spend that extra minute to make your way to a nearby patch of forest to hide, it's your loss?

no to this...but,there could be something in how and where you log out from server.
examble log out from server in rain...=flu and cold when you log in again.
even in just outside log out should give you a litle punishment but in future,there could be sleeping bags or craftable temporary shelter where you could log out safely.
logging out in bed,fire in fireplace and cup of honeytea=increased stamina and healtly but this should be desingned visely that no one cant exploit sleeping system.

1. A system leaves the characters on the server after logging off is an additional burden on the server.

That would only lead to the resources in other things such as Z-KI goes to the load. The other is the higher network traffic.

2. I do not want to interfere with a game in my IRL. So that I am almost forced to look for my character again and again like a Tamagochi.

Pros and cons of how and where to log out, this is something I could agree with.

10 hours ago, Vattenlarv said:

Would they tho? Tents do not always get raided, if you place them in a clever enough location. Tents are much harder to hide than a character. The chance that another player stops to take a closer look at the very bush you are hiding in should be fairly small, or?

Is there really such a huge amount of players on each individual server that the game world would be cluttered with idling players, or that you'd find a player everytime you chop down a bush for sticks? It sounds highly improbable to me.

It would at least solve problems like combat logging and spawning in behind characters, which is not very authentic or fun. Perhaps, if you do not spend that extra minute to make your way to a nearby patch of forest to hide, it's your loss?

There are only 60 players on a server but those players are always changing. There will be hundreds of bodies just standing around on the popular servers. If you completely rotated the player list only twice a day for five days, with unique players, at the end you would have 600 unique players registered, which means 60 online and 540 idling.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 2